TheOneq

The Floor thread

2,498 posts in this topic

OK well she might "only" be substitute singer for the time but still, she is an active part of another new Nightwish era and she deserves her thread. Like always...mind your words folks, be polite and accept different opinions than yours "Diversity" is the key of evolution. In these terms:

Welcome Ms Floor Jansen!

I don't. At least as she's now. I always though Floor could sing just anything but surprisingly, she sounds kinda terrible. And she lacks tenderness and softness in her singing.

We'll see how this works out. Maybe she's just not used to these songs and finds another way to sing them.

As long as Floor is not permanent member, this stays on music-section.

Here the link to Floor's Wiki bio...I won't rewrite history here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floor_Jansen

Just underlining that she is part of the famous and infernal dutch quintet of metal ladies, naming here ladies and gentlemen, Sharon den Adel - Simone Simons - Anneke Van Giersbergen - Charlotte Wessels.

Connexions to Nightwish are existing since many years thinking that After Forever and Nightwish shared some stages in the past together. Also, being a close friend to Charlotte Wessels of Delain, we shall not forget that Marco was part of the former Delain line up. Finally, contracts are thicker than blood, both Floor and Nightwish share "Nuclear Blast" as record company for the european releases.

Finally, Floor, ik hoop dat je voor altijd zal blijwe in Nightwish :clap:

Nice!

I really had never listened to her before. Actually, only to their rendition of She Is My Sin (After Forever). I really don't like it when she sings in her operatic style, because to me it sounds like she is going the Tarja-way but still halfway there. I do like her belting technique a lot though, and she clearly has a wider vocal range than Anette. That doesn't give her any credit other than being lucky for her genetics, but she does sound way more relaxed through all of the songs, not straining and not exhausted.

So far, due to the videos I've seen, I like it. When december comes, I'll see her live, and she will probably have a great improvement learning the songs! Can't wait!!!

Edit/ I read somewhere some time ago, that Floor started After Forever because of her adoration to Nightwish. I think I read this when they fired Tarja and Floor was one of the possible next frontwomen. If this is really true, she must be freakin' happy!

I don't think she was ever considered to replace Tarja, because she was happily in After Forever at the time.

Edit/ I read somewhere some time ago, that Floor started After Forever because of her adoration to Nightwish. I think I read this when they fired Tarja and Floor was one of the possible next frontwomen. If this is really true, she must be freakin' happy!

Most of these dutch bands startated because Nightwish was an inspiration to them, Within Temptation and Epica never did hide this fact. Simone ( I think I quote her correctly ) wanted to be in a metal band BECAUSE of Tarja and Nightwish. For Floor it's "THE" day....

Yeah, WT started out at about the same time I think. But Floor I'm quite sure was in love with Nightwish and decided to start off inspired by them.

I could never get properly into AF's music, and I was never a big fan of Floor's voice. There was always something that bothered me in the tone of her voice (that's just personal taste). However, I always recognized she had an incredible talent for singing, and was way above most singers in the metal genre. I love the fact that she is so versatile and knows so many styles of singing. Her vocal range is also incredible. I think she'd make a great front-woman in NW (actually she'd be almost too good for the job). One can only dream. :P

For those who don't believe that Floor's voice is soft enough to sing Anette's songs, check out After Forever's "Lonely". Floor's voice can be very soft as much as it can be powerful. :P I also really like her voice in "Empty Memories".

^ Within Temptation released their debut album before Nightwish did. :P

With all my respect but Angels Fall First was released prior to Enter....I might be wrong of course. :blink:

Edit: I surely am wrong....my wife confirms that I always am so I must be here

^ According to online sources Enter was released in Spring 1997 while AFF was released in Autumn 1997. The official Within Temptation website even has the year 1996 for Enter but I'm not sure if that's right. But either way, the albums were released so close to each other that I very much doubt that either band was inspired by the other. Both of them probably were inspired by same, earlier bands. (Edit: actually Nw.com has 1996-12-31 for AFF. I forgot about the very first edition with different tracklist, not sure when it came out but I'd still think 1997.)

But anyway, not really related to Floor Jansen. She was definitely inspired by Nightwish, and now she's singing with them. Not the worst way it could've gone for her imo. :)

Edited by Cursarion

I just checked out some live videos of After Forever to educate myself on her stage persona. She has this sexy, aggressive all in thing going on which caught me by surprise. Needless to say I enjoyed wachting those videos, especially the Face your demons live version.

Yeah, WT started out at about the same time I think. But Floor I'm quite sure was in love with Nightwish and decided to start off inspired by them.

This is NOT true at all.... After Forever (name was Apocalypse at the time) started almost at the same time (if not earlier) than Nightwish, the whole Operatic singing was just a coincidence between both of them...

I've been an After Forever fans since they started and I've follow Floor's evolution since she started and she is definetely the best singer in Metal right now, her voice just keeps getting better and better, she can sing almost everything, from Pop, to Rock, to Jazz, to Operatic style , she can sing choir parts as well and also now she can even grunt/screams :-)

She is a REAL metal girl, Metal is in her blood, the way this girl is on stage is just incredible... her energy, her headbanging is unique...

It really annoys me when people that doesnt know her work, talk *****, I dont like her because of this song and that song... hey... go check her stuff out! then judge! Live recordings most of the times doesnt do justice to a singer... Check AF albums or ReVamp's even if you dont like the music appreciate the voice...

IN my opinion, she is more suitable for Nightwish than Anette 100% I am so happy she is finishing up Imaginaerum tour...

People should take it easy with Floor being in Nightwish, she was just recently called to do this, I bet she have never rehearse with the band at all, so we'll see but this is sometihng I am really looking foward!

She is also my VOCAL TEACHER , its so impressive the way she have been teaching me and when she open her mouth to hit some notes I'ts just pure power and magic :)

Some recomendations :

- Impressive operatic singing / High Notes:

- Monolith of Doubt

- My Pledge of alliance Part 1

- Emphasis

Impressive Rock voice with Quickly Operatic transitions without stopping:

- Sins of Idealism

- Come

Impressive Rocky Voice / Belting Voice songs:

- Transitory

- Face your Demons

- Break

A song that have it all in ONE:

- Dreamflight

- Only Everything

Soft songs / impressive vocals:

- Lonely

- Strong

- I lost myself

- Taste the day

- The Key

- Eccentric

- Sweet Curse

there are more...CHECK THEM OUT :D

^ I respected your post up until the "She is definitely more suitable for Nightwish than Anette 100%" After that you just fell flat. In a sense that post is like something Jerry Springer would say just to get stuff rolling on.

I mean why would you even want to start an Anette vs Floor discussion.

It's cool that's she's your vocal teacher tough.

^ I respected your post up until the "She is definitely more suitable for Nightwish than Anette 100%" After that you just fell flat. In a sense that post is like something Jerry Springer would say just to get stuff rolling on.

I mean why would you even want to start an Anette vs Floor discussion.

It's cool that's she's your vocal teacher tough.

Ok I should had said " IN MY OPINION, "She is definitely more suitable for Nightwish than Anette 100%"

:D;)

@revamp

Yeah, she is some kind of phenomen in todays female metal scene.

But tell me WHEN and WHERE she will use this kind of singing in NW? The only song where she could use the full potential of her voice is 7 days to the wolves! Everything else is just waste of talent. Her voice is too strong for NW music - and I don't want to insult anybody with this.

@revamp

Yeah, she is some kind of phenomen in todays female metal scene.

But tell me WHEN and WHERE she will use this kind of singing in NW? The only song where she could use the full potential of her voice is 7 days to the wolves! Everything else is just waste of talent. Her voice is too strong for NW music - and I don't want to insult anybody with this.

Nienor you have a great point there :o ... I think Floor can give some power to old songs... the new ones not so sure...

I've always thought Floor was one of the best voices in metal (Although Sharon is more versatile than people give her credit for. She could sing opera if she wanted to. I've seen live videos, especially in WTs early days where she hits it).

I remember being devastated when After Forever called it quits :(. I'd wanted to see them in concert so bad. But, I love Floor so much, that I had to follow ReVamp and LOVE it! I hope the sophomore album really shows growth.

I also love MaYaN. I remember when they were coming out last year and I saw that Simone and Floor would sing together, I was like O_O.

No - she wouldn't

From what I've saw from her previous NW covers and videos from Seattle concert she is singing the songs as the original vocalists

She can pull Tarja and Anette's parts, but both are not in her category.

With Tarja ones - she has some issues, because long years Floor have been singing with her chest voice. (Which deffinatly is her best! There aren't any singers to have her vocal potential! In Liquid Eternity she mutes down Jorn Lande for Christ sake!)

[Ehm I'm not sure is there such an expression is English :blush: ]

With Anette ones - she has to sing way under her limits and this makes her sound very strange.

cool post revam indeed, thanks for sharing that inside knowledge here. I don't think that anyone would like to see another x vs y discussion. I join revamp in his/her opinion that Floor might be the "musically" better overall package for Nightwish in future. No one could ever imagine in the beginning, when the EVA single was launched, that this girl was able to perform Ghost Love Score in an almost better way than the original version. ( my opinion ). Floor is able to ride the waves with her voice in a way which is simply stunning. I would even say with more color in the voice than Tarja had. IMO Tarja's NW renditions often sounded "heartless" and "cold"...this feeling only came once she was not there anymore.

Floor will nail the NW songs and bring another life to them....I am so happy for Anette btw that she managed to associate the NW songs image to her so much, at least the DPP and IMAG and many other songs.

with regards to the future of the band with Floor, here are my 2 cents:

I make 2 assumptions on which I base my "prediction": the first one is that Nightwish would like to continue as Nightwish with a follow up album and tour to Imaginarium and the second assumption is that Floor won't disappoint because of her way she sings and behaves. Keeping this in mind, here are the scenarios:

a) Floor will join the band's final line up and will become Nightwish 3.0 > this makes sense, this is logic as long as nothing happens. It would be unwise to chose another one and to leave the "V" question open again at the end of the tour. they had now enough publicitiy and writing an album for a stranger is hard.It would be financially unwise of the record company to allow Tuomas or KF to taka any other decision: why, because they won't only benefit from the Floor popularity in Nightwish 3.0, Floor's own band Revamp would widely give benefit to Nuclear Blast and Floor too...the first album could get a re-issue and the new album, at the end of the NW Tour, could reboost the overall Nuclear Blast sales.

b) Floor won't join Nightwish though she has been invited by the band to; maybe contractual issues, agenda conflicts, money. Floor is the first singer with huge experience, live and singing. She has a prize which the band maybe doesn't want to pay. Nightwish will look up for a substitute singer to her digging out the old casting tapes. " Yo Vibeke my girl, wassup? Do you finally want to....?" Maybe Floor doesn't want to repeat the events of 2011 and her burnout. She might want to get if along easily this time and thinking it was nice to do some 30 shows with Nightwish but that her health is more important.

c) Floor won't join the band though she asked. Again, she has the interesting package but she asked too much, had too many conditions. The band will know this quite soon and the permanent substitute to Floor/Anette will be selected. Or, Tuomas does really want to get rid of this operatic, bombastic voice thing and look for something new.

d) Nightwish doesn't want Floor or "a" singer, they will remain a brotherhood of 4 and rely to studio singers and tour singers. maybe a dynamic line up will open now interesting horizons in the writing process for Tuomas. He could bring it to another level without being "engaged" to one person.

O boy, some interesting times for us Nightwishers these days. Though I really hope this situation is talked out and eaten quite soon. I do only hope that Anette will be fine and that she doesn't lose in the change.

Hmmmm we had: Tarjaholics, Fanettes and now we go with: ....Flooriacs...? :jester:

Hmmmm we had: Tarjaholics, Fanettes and now we go with: ....Flooriacs...? :jester:

Lol I used to call my friend a flooriac when he worked with applying floor polish in old mansions:P

I listened to the entire set she played with them at Seattle. Sound quality wasn't the best but I could hear how she was doing. She sounded very nervous and obviously unsure of the words to most of the songs, so it wasn't her best. She sang very softly most of the time and her powerful belting voice was missing.

Give her a few shows to really become comfortable with the songs and the audience and she'll knock it out of the park.