TheOneq

The Floor thread

2,498 posts in this topic

I listened to the entire set she played with them at Seattle. Sound quality wasn't the best but I could hear how she was doing. She sounded very nervous and obviously unsure of the words to most of the songs, so it wasn't her best. She sang very softly most of the time and her powerful belting voice was missing.

Give her a few shows to really become comfortable with the songs and the audience and she'll knock it out of the park.

Yep!!! its hard when you dont have enough time to rehearse something like this... believe me I am a singer myself and just one song with not enough time to rehearse its hard lol I can't imagine a whole set-list so kudos to Floor for being brave :)

But I have the best vocal teacher in the world her name is mmm Floor Jansen :D hehe

It kinda pains me to see people are only finding out about Floor and paying attention to her now that she's singing with Nw. She's an amazing vocalist and she deserves every ounce of professionalism and respect she can get. I'm not really fond of ReVamp, but After Forever are really cool and I adore her work with Ayreon,

It kinda pains me to see people are only finding out about Floor and paying attention to her now that she's singing with Nw. She's an amazing vocalist and she deserves every ounce of professionalism and respect she can get. I'm not really fond of ReVamp, but After Forever are really cool and I adore her work with Ayreon,

I feel the same. I can't believe some people are just finding-out about her. She's amazing and she's been in the scene for a long time.

I feel the same. I can't believe some people are just finding-out about her. She's amazing and she's been in the scene for a long time.

Yep she is definetely under-rated BUT the good thing is that regardless what happens after Imaginaerum tour whethere Floor accepts or no to be the new singer of Nightwish ( and keep ReVamp :) ) .... this is a GREAT boost to her career....

IMO I think ,The thing is that Nigthwish have a lot of fans that are only into Nightwish and more soft rocks female bands ,

I didn't just find out about her, knew for several years that she was around. But I begin to love her even more with NW.

And I guess even if people get to know her like that you should take it positively and don't complain about it.

Floor didn't found After Forever. Mark Jansen of Epica (MaYaN) did. ;) Also apparently Jansen is a common last name in the Nederlands I hear. :D So no relation there. XD Both are equally amazing musicians, and I like both incarnations of After Forever when Mark was still in the band and later when he moved on to form Epica. :) I honestly don't get how so many people automatically think "Tarja Clone" when they hear Floor sing. She can sing operatically, but her octave range blasts Tarja out of the water. Also she does a great cover of Iron Maiden's "The Evil That Men Do". :D

[media]

[/media]

Floor didn't found After Forever. Mark Jansen of Epica (MaYaN) did. ;) Also apparently Jansen is a common last name in the Nederlands I hear. :D So no relation there. XD Both are equally amazing musicians, and I like both incarnations of After Forever when Mark was still in the band and later when he moved on to form Epica. :) I honestly don't get how so many people automatically think "Tarja Clone" when they hear Floor sing. She can sing operatically, but her octave range blasts Tarja out of the water. Also she does a great cover of Iron Maiden's "The Evil That Men Do". :D

The band was formed by Sander Gommans , Mark Jansen and Jack Driessen ( Same people who started MaYan :) ) then Mark Jansen was fired by the rest of the band due to differences in their musical direction, Mark was headed one way (result : Epica ) and the rest of the band the other way ( result : Exordium, Invisible Circles, Remagine and Self Titled album)... Yes I am an After Forever Enciclopedia LOL....

I dont see many people calling Floor , Tarja-Clone.... Floor has been around long enough for people to say that, and both of them have their own different style...

Most of these dutch bands startated because Nightwish was an inspiration to them, Within Temptation and Epica never did hide this fact. Simone ( I think I quote her correctly ) wanted to be in a metal band BECAUSE of Tarja and Nightwish. For Floor it's "THE" day....

Epica started up becasue of the fact that Mark was left AF. Simone was not even there first pick for singer. Simone got into singing becasue of Tarja and Nightwish. But Epica got it's start because of Mark leaving AF.

AF started out as a Death metal band before Floor came into the band.

I find that to be a shame to. OUt of all the AF albums Ivisible Circles is the only one I'm not big on. The other four albums are great though.

Posts merged. Instead of double posting use edit function. -HooPee

Most of these dutch bands startated because Nightwish was an inspiration to them, Within Temptation and Epica never did hide this fact. Simone ( I think I quote her correctly ) wanted to be in a metal band BECAUSE of Tarja and Nightwish. For Floor it's "THE" day....

Um... Within Temptation came out around the same time as Nightwish. Enter was released in 1996/1997. Their formation was independent of Nightwish. I know Within Temptation was influenced by The Gathering, but not Nightwish.

The band was formed by Sander Gommans , Mark Jansen and Jack Driessen ( Same people who started MaYan :) ) then Mark Jansen was fired by the rest of the band due to differences in their musical direction, Mark was headed one way (result : Epica ) and the rest of the band the other way ( result : Exordium, Invisible Circles, Remagine and Self Titled album)... Yes I am an After Forever Enciclopedia LOL....

I dont see many people calling Floor , Tarja-Clone.... Floor has been around long enough for people to say that, and both of them have their own different style...

Okay, okay, Mark was ONE of the founding members. ;) Either way I do think it's nice that they're all on good terms with each other now. :D

Well by many I meant you know, Floor newbies. :P

I don't really listen to a lot of metal anymore, but I'll always have a soft fuzzy spot for the voice of Floor Jansen. I could see her pulling off just about anything: metal, rock, opera, hell, probably even showtunes. She could sing my grocery list.

I haven't followed her work with Revamp, but Decipher will always be a special record. To me, it's the apex of symphonic metal, and that moment where Floor delivers that final line on "Imperfect Tenses," this is my perfect revelation, is a sorrowfully and delicately magical moment.

The second gig went a bit better than the first one but still sounds pretty awful. SING, dammit!!! I know you can! But I have to take back what I said earlier. She does have a tender, soft voice too.

She still holds back and man, I can't stand the half-classical moaning she does. It's even worse than Tarja's. Bring on the rocky voice, lady! And plz bring something YOU to the songs, now it's like karaoke.

OK, she has many songs to learn so half of her focus is on singing them right but if she's as big of a fan she claims to be, one would think she was already somewhat familiar with them.

Overall she seems to be a lovely, sweet lady. Very enthuastic and obviously she loves the band. I just hope she doesn't fall down hard. Something has to change in Nightwish, they can't continue wear people out like that.

The second gig went a bit better than the first one but still sounds pretty awful. SING, dammit!!! I know you can! But I have to take back what I said earlier. She does have a tender, soft voice too.

She still holds back and man, I can't stand the half-classical moaning she does. It's even worse than Tarja's. Bring on the rocky voice, lady! And plz bring something YOU to the songs, now it's like karaoke.

OK, she has many songs to learn so half of her focus is on singing them right but if she's as big of a fan she claims to be, one would think she was already somewhat familiar with them.

Overall she seems to be a lovely, sweet lady. Very enthuastic and obviously she loves the band. I just hope she doesn't fall down hard. Something has to change in Nightwish, they can't continue wear people out like that.

I see what you are sayiing... but reading the blog she wrote about it.... she might be super nervous, just imagine how hard it has to be that you get this and no time to rehearse or learn the songs in a proper way to give them her own style, on top of that, she have a cold to make it worse...

I'm sure she will get better , she just need to let those nerves to be gone , but its not easy so kudos to Floor! :)

Posts merged, edit function still exists. Also link to petition removed, seems out of line. This is a discussion forum, not an electronic voting machine (on a matter which isn't open to voting anyway). -- Cursarion

Um... Within Temptation came out around the same time as Nightwish. Enter was released in 1996/1997. Their formation was independent of Nightwish. I know Within Temptation was influenced by The Gathering, but not Nightwish.

yop, you are all right with that...my fingers typed faster than my brain. I read somewhere and I take a 100Euro guess this was in the Nightwish biography that Tuomas was impressed by The Gathering and always wanted to have a band with a woman on the mic because of them. When I first heard Anette...wait, second hear Anette ( first was on Eva, tried to skip this ), I told myself that he somehow now found this kind of warm versatile voice.

For the time, I do only see Floor taking over the position at Nightwish though I would totally appreciate Anneke or Manuela Kraller from Xandria. But than again, I think for some obvious and personal reasons that Floor is just the real deal. And again, no offends to Anette...I just look at the future, not what was.

I just remember that I do demand re-editions of Swanheart, Sleepwalker, Forever Yours, and Passion & Opera

Otherwise, like other bands, why not playing down one entire album at the show. Like Imaginarium Tour featuring Century Child. It's CC's 10th birthday finally.

Sentence in Dutch deleted. Please remember that the forum language is English only - WhiteRaven

Also apparently Jansen is a common last name in the Nederlands I hear. :D So no relation there. XD

Hahah, yes it is. To me it always feels like half the country has Jansen as last name XD Very funny to me how people online are calling her Jensen and Jenson and stuff like that.

As for me, I really loved AF and was very sorry when they quit. I'm not such a big fan of ReVamp somehow. I think NW with Floor could work "voice-wise" but otherwise I'm not so sure. I always got the feeling that Floor was really involved in writing music and songs and I think that if she were to join NW, she would get that much freedom or input. So I seriously doubt that she'd join them (but I'd absolutely love it!)

This is what is missing in NW. Agression.

With Revamp

[media]

[/media]

With After Forever.

[media]

[/media]

[media]

[/media]

But this is the strongest side if Floor's singing abilities.

I can't figure her voice with songs like Nemo, WIHAA, Amaranth and Storytime...

So let's hope she will stay in NW only for the tour and after that she will work for the second ReVamp album.

I always got the feeling that Floor was really involved in writing music and songs and I think that if she were to join NW, she would get that much freedom or input. So I seriously doubt that she'd join them (but I'd absolutely love it!)

I don't really get this argument... Marco has Tarot (among others), Emppu has Brother Firetribe, Jukka has (had) Sethian. Surely their next singer, whoever that'll be, will have room for other projects. And right now Floor is already only singing for them. If she only wanted to write music she wouldn't have joined as a live member in the first place?

I really like Floor from what I have heard of her and I'm glad, if nothing else, that this experience introduced me to another brilliant performer to familiarize myself with.

But I don't think she'll be long for Nightwish. Remember how Tarja was singing on Once? I think even when Tarja was the vocalist, Tuomas had a clear vision for what he wanted for the music, which was: a light, airy, almost innocent feel. (Which is all wrong for Tarja's powerful voice, imo--she was best on Oceanborn and Wishmaster but that's another story.)

Floor is powerful and aggressive and I'm floored (haha!) by her. But light and airy and childlike, she is not.

I'm going to continue following her no matter where or how she performs, though. What a beautiful woman, what talent... How did I never hear of her before... Blasphemy! :wub:

^^^very well....I somehow stopped following her after the end of the AF period.

On the other hand, I do so hope that Anette will be coached correctly and that we will get some nice SOLO albums or albums with other bands. I will continue following Nettie coz she truly is a great artist with her very own sweet and warm voice.

I think that Tuomas said to her to not sing operatic or with full voice.

Please be careful with what you type, that comment was VERY close to homophobic. - Lankyster