TheOneq

The Floor thread

2,498 posts in this topic

^ Operatic voice would attract real METAL fans? Since when is operatic "real" metal? Since never.

You implied that with Anette got fans who aren't "metal", and that use of operatic vocals would drive them away as they aren't "really metal". :P Which is funny to me because fans of more extreme metal put both of these vocal styles on the same line, far from "real metal". :P

Ok man, my word was that when Anette joined the band, fan zone of Nightwish was changed, and you know that and all knows that.

To many people, old fans of the band, Nightwish is dead with Anette becouse of her poppy voice, poppy songs and etc. I know friends that they really hate Tarja's era, they can't listen a single bit of Slaying the Dreamer for example, and they love songs like Eva or FTHIOH. And vice versa.

Post edited for offensive content. Beats me why you edited it in when you didn't post it in the first place... -- Cursarion

^ Yeah, I understood, and that argument still cracks me up because other people use the same argument against both "operatic" and "poppy" Nightwish. :P

It's a silly argument. Also, I think it's silly to say the band would tell Floor how to sing just to appeal to the "new fans".

I think Floor is doing an amazing job for not having time to rehearse and learn the songs in a proper way so she could give them her own style so kudos to Floor :)

Than, i really can't understand why she don't use her operatics on Once there was a child's dream, Once there was a child's heart, or in Planet Hell, or in Song of Myself for example.

She has a pretty awesome voice. I think she does operatics pretty great (See devin townsends pandemic) and her voice is quite pretty. She windmills...windmills, this with her voice totally makes me want her to become the new permanent singer.

Than, i really can't understand why she don't use her operatics on Once there was a child's dream, Once there was a child's heart, or in Planet Hell, or in Song of Myself for example.

Probably cuz Tuomas doesn't want to ??? I remember Tuomas saying he wasnt a big fan of Operatic singing...

Floor is capable of MUCH much more... After Forever / ReVamp songs requires way more vocal power than Nightwish songs...

So I don't think Floor will use all her capabilities in Nightwish songs...

I think Tuomas likes the idea of having a singer like Floor who is capable of pleasing the old fans by reminding them of Tarja and also knowing she is used to touring and being in a metal band. On the other hand, I think that Anette is exactly the kind of singer he always wanted in the band and would have gone for had Tarja not been so well received by the label (as you might know, her vocals on the demo were just supposed to be a favour and she never really intended on being in the band until they got signed). I think songs like Turn Loose the Mermaids are closer to his original vision of Nightwish than anything he ever wrote for Tarja or any of the "ghost singer" material on Dark Passion Play. It's going to be a tough choice for him now, as he knows how people can react to a lighter voice.

I'm with someone else who stated that they'd love to know what Tuomas could write for Floor in the future, knowing her range. So, if it's not Floor who joins Nightwish, I hope it's someone who is almost as versatile as her.

I sort of want someone fairly unknown, and yet experienced with a band and touring. Floor is perfect, but it feels 50/50 right now. I have to imagine she's considering her answer if the guys do ask her at the end of the tour. She's very professional and I don't think there wouldd be a ton of drama. I think the only issue would be her wanting to work with ReVamp and her own projects.

I think the vocalist doesn't have to be classical, but they should be able to carry both era songs and have a voice that Tuomas can write to in the future. I think he wants to steer away from operatic vocals (as many have pointed out), but he has probably learned that fans want someone who can carry the old era songs better than Anette did (and that wasn't meant to bash Anette, I love Anette and some of her interpretations of old era songs, but I think it's a fact her voice couldn't carry some of those songs).

I don't really get this argument... Marco has Tarot (among others), Emppu has Brother Firetribe, Jukka has (had) Sethian. Surely their next singer, whoever that'll be, will have room for other projects. And right now Floor is already only singing for them. If she only wanted to write music she wouldn't have joined as a live member in the first place?

Late reply, sorry about that ;)

what I said would only be true imo if she were to quit ReVamp for Nightwish. I hadn't thought about the other projects that the other bandmembers had, thanks for reminding me ;) I think you have a point! I just wonder if Floor would let ReVamp be her "side project" in favour of Nightwish

I'm starting to think that FLOOR doesn't want to put very much during her NW touring.

I mean - she knows it's temporary and she is there only to help friends in hard moment (and,yes, to find some more publicity)

Not to steal the the main role. Think about next lead singer - how she (whoever they choose) would be accepted after her, if Floor did her best at these shows?

Knowing she had burnout already, knowing she has second album to come, and tour with ReVamp, why Floor is bound to be that perfect at NW shows, when there's no need?

I think she's holding back to avoid damaging her voice. She's a versatile singer and she seems to be able to reach many notes outside of her comfort zone, but if I'm not mistaken she is a mezzo soprano like Tarja used to be prior to Century Child and most of the material on this tour is written for a soprano.

Well, on Revamp album, she's belting really high most of the time. I don't think high notes should be out of her comfort zone.

But it's all about context. I haven't really listened that closely to the ReVamp material, but a high note in a lower key can give the same impression as a high note in a higher key if the difference between the high and low notes are about the same.

Just my input as a singer: I think I read somewhere that Floor has a 5 octaves vocal range. Personally, I have a 4,5 octave range and I actually find high notes more comfortable and easy to sing than middle notes. What I'm trying to say is I don't think it's really a problem for Floor to sing high notes. The problem is that these songs were written for a singer with a smaller vocal range, and Floor/NW would have to take some time to rehearse the songs together in a more flexible register before actually performing them. (Believe me, I once tried to improvise and sing higher notes on a song that was made for a smaller vocal range and my group was like "OMG! That's so high! My ears are bleeding!! Make it stop!!" lol!) You need to know what you're doing and actually practice the song before deciding to change the key completely and improvise your own little version in front of an audience. I'm sure that once the band manages to catch a break and gather together to practice the songs, Floor will have more room for innovation.

This is what is missing in NW. Agression.

With Revamp

[media]

[/media]

I really want to hear her sing Master Passion Greed now ...just kidding :giggle:

When it comes to stage presence she is almost the opposite of Anette. That doesn't mean that I didn't like Anette.

Floor doing phantom of the opera:

[media]

[/media]

Posts merged. There's edit-function, use it instead of double posting. -HooPee

That Phantom is awesome! I wonder if Tuomas would decide to play it again with her. Hard to tell with him.

I agree that perhaps Floor chooses not to sing in her full classical voice, but she seems to so willingly in so many After Forever songs, that I don't think she dislikes it too much.

I guess we can only see what happens as this tour progresses and they've had time to sit down and prepare a setlist for the UK and other upcoming tours.

[media]

[/media]

I always loved this performance by Floor. Just Exquisite! Especially from 1:40 to 2:10 :wub:

Hahah, yes it is. To me it always feels like half the country has Jansen as last name XD Very funny to me how people online are calling her Jensen and Jenson and stuff like that.

As for me, I really loved AF and was very sorry when they quit. I'm not such a big fan of ReVamp somehow. I think NW with Floor could work "voice-wise" but otherwise I'm not so sure. I always got the feeling that Floor was really involved in writing music and songs and I think that if she were to join NW, she would get that much freedom or input. So I seriously doubt that she'd join them (but I'd absolutely love it!)

I know this is majorly off-topic, but LadyGrey, is that you in your profile pic?

I add to my voice to those that hope Nightwish will keep Floor. Although it might come down to if she agrees to stay or not; since the band (in my opinion) would be mad not to ask her.

I've known about Floor ever since I learned about After Forever when they opened for Nightwish in Helsinki 26.12.2004 (Sadly I was unable to attend that gig). But I didn’t learn to truly appreciate her before I saw her performing live with ReVamp when they opened for Epica in Helsinki. I was totally blown away with her stage presence and vocal capabilities. I briefly met her after show when I bought their CD with my by husband. Her kindness and attentiveness for her fans sealed the deal so to speak. Luckily I had tickets for Epica / Revamp shows in Stockholm and couple UK dates too, so I've had the chance to see her perform live more than once.

I *do* appreciate all the work Anette put towards Nightwish and I really her singing in Imagenaerum and many parts in the Dark Passion play. Her being in the band opened new possibilities (vocally) for Nightwish that would probably have left unexplored without her.

But when I listened those first low quality recordings from the Seattle show with Floor a huge sense of relief washed over me; this was home, and we were safe now. And we know how much she has improved her game since.

----

Nice to see this thread to be moved here, away from the general music section.