hunebedbouwer

Movie Recommendation Thread

201 posts in this topic

@hunebedbouwerIt's call a D O C U M EN T A R Y !  Heavy metal documentary...just love it...you should try some...it's a bit heavier than Mr. Cohen's music!

@whitenoise Cool the police can use drones for searching the vast forests to search for the lost metal bands,  I'll have to see if I can find that video. 

Funny it's blocked from Finnish viewers.

On 27/02/2018 at 9:44 AM, hunebedbouwer said:

The latest British series I bought, are THE DETECTORISTS (UK -  2014-2017).

They were first broadcasted on the BBC in October 2014 and the last episode went on air in December 2017.

It's so typically classy and funny as only the Brits can do. Not your predictable Hollywood 'aren't we funny' style, but the humour is delivered very subtle and with a layer of not uttered meanings, which you have to decipher yourself. It's comedy in the first place, but with your typical daily personal and societal issues included.

There are 2 main figures in Andy Stone (agency worker) and Lance Stater (forklift truck driver and part time amateur musician) who scoure the area around the fictional town of Danebury in northern Essex. Always on the search for hidden treasures and hoping for that ONE big treasure. They are the leading members of the DMDC........the Danebury Metal Detecting Club. 

Adventures in the fields, petty arguments, trying to get their girlfriends involved, secrets, annoying authorities, tricks and selfpity are all included. And your occasional ancient and precious metal ofcourse. It's a pity that the series have finished, but like the writer/producer said: 'we are very satisfied and happy with these 3 series and let's leave it at its peak'. I agree. Too many series peter out in quality, freshness for the sake of money or simply not recognizing they are beyond their selling date.     

This is a real recommendation when you like British style for humourous drama or dramatic humour. It's good!

You're so right about this one, although I only saw some of the last series - it's one I'd like to go back and watch from the start.

British comedy (on the whole) is very good, and I sometimes think that the USA should just stop trying....

Last year I saw about 300 movies and about 150 were made in 2017. Sadly most of those films were so bad, that at the beginning of this year I decided to focus on classic movies and I haven't regretted that decision at all.

Here's a list of the movies I've seen so far this year (with my ratings):  Serpico - ****, Rear Window - *****, North by Northwest - *****, Citizen Kane - ****, Vertigo - *****, Gone with the Wind - *****, The Man Who Knew Too Much - ****, The Great Escape - ****, Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid - ****, Searchers - ***, Bullitt - *****, The Graduate - ****, Casablanca - ***, The Third Man - *****, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - ****, The Count of Monte Cristo - *** (the earliest one), Dr Strangelove - ****, Dial M for Murder - ****, Cool Hand Luke - ****, Lawrence of Arabia - ***, Mr Smith goes to Washington - ****, Doctor Zhivago - *****, The Wizard of Oz - ***, The Maltese Falcon - ***, Rebecca - ****, Rope - ***, Breakfast at Tiffany's - *****, The Philadelphia Story - **, The Grapes of Wrath - *****, On the Waterfront - ****, Spartacus - ***, 12 Angry Men - *****, Metropolis - *****, The 39 Steps - ***, Frankenstein - ***, Bride of Frankenstein - *, Rebel Without a Cause - ****, Paths of Glory - ****, Sunset Boulevard - *****.

At the moment I'm watching M, which seems to be yet another stellar film.

There are at least hundreds of interesting movies on my watch list, so I have only scratched the surface.

If there is 1 book that made an almighty impression on me when I was a teenager, it must have been 'The Mutiny On The Bounty by Charles Nordhoff and JamesNorman Hall. It is based on the true story of the ship 'The Bounty', under the command of captain William Bligh, that set sail in 1789 towards the South Pacific and specifically the Polynesian Island of Tahiti.

Most important mission was to find bread fruit tree seedlings to bring home for the possibillity of using and growing them as food for long journeys. As well as to get as many plants , herbs and spices to bring back to England. 

Now, this fellow Bligh was a highly unpleasant captain, who had a pleasure (or was simply incapable to behave like a normal human being) in pestering and humiliating even his officers, amongst them Christian Fletcher. When they arrived in Tahiti, they found an almost unspoiled Paradise, where the women were not only very attractive, but also easy to get.

So, lots of relations happened and you can  imagine the reactions of those sailors when Bligh decided to leave for England again. Also Fletcher had a lovely thing going with a more aristocrat lady and found it hard to say goodbye. Some sailors decided to flee inland, but were captured after Bligh threatened the  inlanders with horrible retaliations if they were not brought back.

Once sailing again, the atmosphere decreased to a more obstinate and violent kind, because basically Bligh treated his men like dogs again. One night, a big part of the crew decided to take charge of the ship with violence. Fletcher was amongst them and became their leader. They did put Bligh and the ones that wouldn't participate with the mutiny in a small sloop to let them try to find land by themselves. That would be Indonesia then. And wonder, o wonder, most of them made it alive to there. It sure must have been Bligh's greates life achievement, because he failed for everything else in his further life.

Fletcher and his fellow mutineers returned to Tahiti, but realized that a search part would be back for them. So, they left Tahiti with some Tahitian (Fletcher's wife also) women and men and wandered around the South Pacific for a while. Until they found Pitcairn, a small and deserted Island. They decided to establish themselves there and let 'The Bounty'run on the rocks. Most of it wood was used to built houses on the Island. The rest of the story is one of hate, killing and jealousy, because there were too few women for all men. But till today, the descendents of Fletcher Christian and his mutineers live on Pitcairn and some wandered to Norfolk Island. The English navy did indeed return to Tahiti and caught all sailors who decided to stay there. Most of them were hanged after their trials in London.

I've read the book at least 15 times and remember clearly after the first time, that I would like to visit Tahiti. And Pitcairn also preferably, but that proved to be too difficult and immensly expensive. 'did visit Tahiti in 1987 and it made quite an impression on me. The women are still gorgeous, the nature is fantastic, Bora Bora mindblowing gorgeous, but after 2 centuries of French colonisation a lot was westernized. And so bloody expensive!!!!!!!!

There have been made  at least five films about this true story:

1916 - by Raymond Longford with John Storm in one of the main roles

1933 - by Charles Chauvel with Erroll Flyn in a leading role

1935 - by Frank Lloyd with Charles Laughton and Clark Gable

1962 - by Lewis Milestone with Marlon Brando and Trevor Howard (maybe the best)

1984 - by Roger Donald with Anthoby Hopkins and Mel Gibson (also very good)

I got quite a few books about this story as it always has intrigued me to no end. Unfortunately the last 50 years of the people on Pitcairn Island has not been the most refreshing. Abuse, incest, alcoholism and violence all played part and an independent judge was needed to solve a lot of issues with some jail sentences as well. Up till today no one wants to talk about it. Dea Birkett lived a few months on the Island, but she also failed. It's a nice book to read though.

1962 version:

1984 version:

But the best and most detailed story you do get by reading the book I mention in the beginning of this post. It tells this enthralling and fascinating story the best by far!! 

THE GATES (USA-2005)

A very interesting art documentary about the much discussed, much maligned, but in the end, much appreciated art installation in Central Park (New York) by the Bulgarian artist Christo and his wife. I bumped into the middle of this documentary on the BBC (I think) and I got really intrigued by the whole thing. So, I ordered the documentary, which is very worthwhile to watch, and it gave a good insight (although a bit one-sided) about how things developed. It also tells the ever continueing story between people with imagination and bureaucrats, between art lovers and those who think it's a waste of space and money. And about the question what is Art and what is Not.

Christo was already widely known for his wrapping of colossal structures like the Reichstag, Le Pont neuf and some Pacific islands.

3-format43.jpg

7e698df704e89adada26df7b5b522e40.jpg

landenv9.png

Then he got this idea to brighten Central Park up with 7503 large vinyl gates with bright deep saffron flapping panels of nylon. Officially he named it The Gates 1979-2005, because he initially proposed the idea wat back in 1979. The documentary tells the story about the many difficulties to get the art installation started and finished. Spending money from the city played a major role in the whole discussion. Christo even sold some of his own art to get it through.

But ofcourse, you got the usual narrow minded citizens (most had very selfish arguments), who just couldn't see that people need art, whether they did agree with Christo's art or not. I think sometimes, you just have to splash out to give the general public a great thing of enjoyment..........to put a smile on people's faces just for the sake of it. This was one of these cases.

The whole project was ofcourse ridiculed by well known people like David Letterman, who showed that there is an awful lot of unfunded snobbishness in the USA.  One of the main problems along the whole project was the difficult/horrible character of Christo and in particular his wife. Although the whole project was a major success and millions of people enjoyed it by walking through the park for months, it has left me with an strong antipathy towards the couple forever. They very much confirmed the unbearable and sometimes disgusting delusion that many artists have about their art or art in general. 

But I enjoyed the whole process, how it all came to be and in the end the enjoyment of colour in the winter season for people. I love it!

The%20Gates.jpg

28.jpg

harlem_meer_gates_christo.jpg

HORS DE PRIX (FRA - 2006)

Irene (Audrey Tautou) is a young gold digger, who lays it on with rich men as long as she can profit from their riches. Often she gets a bit too greedy and certainly the last time, when this film starts.

She slips out bored out of her provider's bed and goes down the hotel's bar, where she meets a young men, Jean. She mistakes him for a wealthy man, because he's just a barman, but they hit it off. She makes one mistake...she really starts to like him and developes romantic feelings for him. When he finally admits being a relatively poor barman, it's a big blow for her, because she knows her heart has taken a different road then what she wanted to.

As a possible solution, they decide to stay together and make a kind of business out of Irene's lifestyle. But love, jealousy, confusion, stubborness, despair and right out love spats does make their own relation very difficult. Torn between love and hate, (over)playing their cards with eachother it all becomes a miserable situation for both of them. Something, someone or both have to give in........

Again Audrey Tautou is briljant here. Also her fellow actor, Gad Elmaleh, does a very good job. Irene's chosen dresses are also a blessing for the eyes, simply classy, very high class and very enjoyable. A more than enjoyable film as well, but if you do all recap it in human relational portions, it's also pretty dislikeable. But it's not like it doesn't happen a lot in real life. 

It's the first day of my vacation and the heatwave has become unbearable, when a burst of extremely moist air from east has turned southern Finland in to a steam room. So, I'm not that interested in going out, a bit weary from the 4 day graveyard-shift i just had. Mrs Harvest is working. I'm alone here, with a few beers, some whiskey and my DVD-collection. So, what to do, I know, classics - Alien Quadrilogy.

And because of the mood I'm in, I'm not least bit interested on some religious-philosophical mumbo-jumbo. I just want to watch movies with mean creepy-crawlies trying to murder a bunch of humans to the last survivor, while these said humans are trying desperately to save their own skin. So, I'm focusing on the first movies of the franchise aka the classics.  And tbh, I've never been that big on Alien 3 or Resurrection, not the mention Scott's reboot.

Alien used scare the crap out of me as a kid. The  claustrophobic athmosphere of the movie, the visuals, creepy soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith.  And it has aged well. The film has a paperthin plot, just a bunch of people up against a menacing creature (Giger did a fantastic job with vizualing the Alien), but Scott knows very well how to create horror. It's much more on the psychological side. The pacing of the movie is great, instead of just blasting away all the time, Scott knows that every roller coaster ride needs it's breathers as well. And even if I know these scenes by heart all ready, it's still heck of an effective horrormovie. Filled with classic scenes like Brett dying.

The sequel Aliens, directed by Jim Cameron is  more sraightforward action-movie. Again, the pacing is the key here. The film has a rather long build-up before the actual action starts and that just works like a charm. Visually the film is treat, even if by today's standards some of the FX's seem very clumsy. But you just have admire the amount of work and effort these people put into every detail on the set. What nowadays can be done with a click of a mouse, used to mean weeks and weeks of planning, building, hard work.

I prefer the longer director's cut version of this movie, since it does create more backbone on Ripley's relationship with the little girl they find as only survivor and generally speaking it has more of those breathers a rollercoster-ride needs. The composer of the soundtrack, James Horner and Cameron had some pretty well documented disputes during the filming, but that didn't prevent Horner from doing a fantastic job ( even though, we do know how Horner used to "borrow creatively" from himself and many other great composers:D.) Well, eventually the guys managed to settle their differences and the rest is history on another movie about a boat that hits an iceberg......

I don't know if Sigourney Weaver sees the role of Ripley as a burden (since nowadays Sigourney Weaver is basically synonymous for Ripley). But her portrayal of Ripley is just fantastic. Just simple gestures of caring and compassion pared with extreme determination. The scene in which she gears up for getting Newt from the creepy crawlies is just fantastic acting from mrs. Weaver.

Overall, two great movies, directed by two great directors, scored by two great composers. They are great visually and Sigourney excels. Still top 10 in my lists.

Two 'tank' films which are situated in WW2, but at totally different battlefields. Also, 'Kelly's heroes' is more of a comedy/dramatic one as 'Sahara' is a normal film.

SAHARA (AUS/USA - 1995)

A tank with its crew is stranded and a bit lost in the African desert after the fall of Tobruk. They try to reach their own lines, which is rather difficult, because everyone's on the run for Rommel's forces. Along their journey, they pick up a few fellow Allied soldiers, but then run out of water. They finally reach an oase, where they can rest and plan their future plans. 

After a few days, suddenly a German batallion turns up, wanting the badly needed water resources. The Allied soldiers decide to defend their hard earned territory.

It's not an outstanding film, but a very entertaining and gripping sometimes. Above all, it emphasized the hardship of fighting the desert climate and all what that brings. The Desert War was therefore also a very different one, because far less civilians were involved. Both camps described it more or less as a 'clean' war........ofcourse still with tens of thousands of casualties. There are not that many films about this area of WW2 and this is certainly one of the better. Leading role for Jim Belushi.

KELLY'S HEROES (USA - 1970)

Total different film. Absolute hilarious sometimes with a much needed mentioning of Donald Sutherland as the complete wacky Oddball. Great character! It's situated at the French front in 1944 and it centres around a bunch of dodgy and selfenriching Americans. A German colonel has been caught and the lot get a hunch that the guy knows about a treasure, stacked away in some mine. They shoot into action and get a lot og knowledge about the actual hidden place without knowing it exactly by getting the colonel absolutely smashed.

During an attack on the german lines, they ride their tanks into behind enemy territory and so a spectucular and greatly entertaining hunt for the greedy bastards begin.........like I said, one should just enjoy the action and not take anything seriously!!!! Telly Savalas also stars in this film as he did in more of these kind of films ('The dirty dozen' springs to mind). He's a convincing psychic nutter most of the time).

APOCALYPSE NOW (USA - 1979)

This is one hell of a film. The first time (at the release) I saw it, I didn't enjoy it at all, because it had such a weird and uncomfortable atmosphere. I mean, I just saw 'The deerhunter' and that was weird and hard enough, but I just couldn't relate to this one. So, I avoided it for a good few years. Then, about 10 years later, I did see it again and I thought it was an absolute masterpiece.......!! I got the meaning and the atmosphere and was blown away by the fantastic manner of how the film was written and directed and how good the acting was. It doesn't happen often to me, that a film appreciation completely changed after watching it again.

The story:

At the height of the Vietnam war, US captain Willard is sent on a mission by his commanders. To carry out a secret mission that officially doesn't even exist. His aim is to find a mysterious Green Berets officer, named Walter Kurtz, in the far away jungle in the war zone. This Kurtz guy and his men have been conducting hit-and-run-missions into Cambodia to fight the Vietcong and the NVA against any order. The army believes he has gone completely insane and it's Willard's job to kill him one way or another.

Once going up the Nung River on a Navy patrol boat, Willard starts to discover more and more information about Kurtz. He happens to be one of the most decorated soldiers in the whole army and more things don't really add up. He and his crew meet up with surfer type colonel Kilgore, the commander of the helicopter group, which has to provide Willard an entrance to the heavily guarded and treacherous Nung River.

After some hairrasing violent encounters with the Vietcong, in which he loses several crew members, he managed to meet up with Kurtz or in better words......he is more or less his prisoner. Now will he, even better, CAN he still kill this seeming lunatic during all this complete insanity of war and all its atrocities, dark secrets and who and what is real and can be trusted?

Went to see the new Star Is Born movie at the weekend - thoroughly recommend this, it is brilliant!  Bradley Cooper and Lady GaGa both give mesmerizing performances.

Go see it!

Hello, people.

I`d like to introduce you what I consider a TRUE vampire movie. It has been already twenty years from its release, but it`s definitevely one of the best "biters`" movie ever. At least in my opinion. It´s a truly "trash/death metal" vampire movie, and for those who like horror films, it`s very worth watching.

Starring : James Woods, Thomas Ian Griffith, Daniel Baldwin and Sheryl lee.

Here`s its trailer :

John Carpenter`s Vampires

Enjoy. ;)

Especially if you're a lover of very good British (costume) drama, this series is quite wonderful:

THE FORSYTE SAGA (GB - 1967) and the equally excellent remake of 2002. It's based on John Galsworthy's books of the same title, which won him the Nobel prize for literature in 1922. Both series are riddled with excellent actors and actrices.

The extended Forsyte family live a more than pleasant upper middle class life in Victorian and later Edwardian times. Two main characters are Soames Forsyte and his cousion Jolyon Forsyte. Soames is a sollicitor, all proper and straight laced. Living by all of those ridiculous, weird and pre-set English societal lines. His love for the beautiful and also unreachable Irene seems to be his only weakness, as this merely turns out into a obsesssion. He just can't handle Irene's rejections as she simply doesn't love him. His other weakness is his daughter Fleur, who gets spoilt rotten obviously.

Jolyon couldn't be more different. A free-thinking artist type of guy, who leaves his wife and children to live with his children's nanny. All very shocking in Victorian England. Their lives and children's life intertwine through the family in bad and good times. Soames does eventually marry Irene, but basically buys her as Irene agrees on the commitment as Soames saves her family from financial disaster. Not a great way to have a relation, which shines through all of the series, ending in drama, murder, bitterness and family feuds.

It's a lovely classic drama and the acting and stages are just briljant. A lot of questions are asked by yourself what you would do in similar circumstances........morals, principles, lust, money, jealousy, family ties. Combine those with the very strict, divided and conservative English society of that time and it's almost impossible to feel the same emotions, like 'I would never have done that' or 'that's imossible to accept'. But that is ofcourse Always very easy in hindsight and specially in very rigid societies.

Like I said before, both series are equally good, but I have got a slight preference for the older one, but then again, the later one has better watchability. Both series are quite cheap to buy at Amazon.

First series.....26 episodes in black and white.

Remake.......19 episodes in colour. 

LOVING VINCENT (POL/UK -2017)

World's first painted animated film. More than 100 professional painters were used to produce this quite extraordinary work. It is a full biographical drama about the last part of Van Gogh's life and it's aftermath. Each of the 65.000 film frames is a painting on canvas Madness!!!

One yeat after Van Gogh's (suspicious to some) suicide, postmanJoseph Roulin asks his son Armand, to deliver Vincent's last letter to his brother Theo. Armand reluctantly agrees and sets off to Paris. Once there, he finds out that Theo died 6 monyhs after Vincent. A Montmartre art supplier suggests that he travels to Auvers-sur-Oise to look for doctor Paul Gachet, the man who housed Vincent after he left the asylum and a fellow art lover.

The rest is a journey through Vincent's life and meeting people, who met and accomodated Vincent. A search for the truth about Vincent's death, all made up in one of these 'possibly-could-have-happened' stories. Like 'The girl with the pearl earring', which was a made up book about Vermeer by Tracy Chevalier, turned into a hugely popular film and now most people believe that it really happened that way!!!    

The thing with 'Loving Vincent'is, that it's been painted all the way and it is a decent and sometimes moving film. It is soooo different from your general film. It emphasizes once more how the whole Van Gogh story and paintings still keeps loads of people occupied and interested. His grave (together with Theo) in Auvers-sur-Oise gets almost 500.000 vistors a year and they have to clean it every day, because people lay and empty (ashes - Japanese) all kind of things on it!!!!!!

A recommendation for art and film lovers.

background1.jpg

London Road is a musical drama that documents the events of 2006, when the quiet rural town of Ipswich was shattered by the discovery of the bodies of five women. The residents of London Road had struggled for years with frequent soliciting and kerb-crawling on their street. When a local resident was charged and then convicted of the murders, the community grappled with what it meant to be at the epicentre of this tragedy.

Starring : Olivia Colman as Julie,  Clare Burt as Sue, Rosalie Craig as Kelly McCormack,  Anita Dobson as June, and Hal Fowler as as David Crabtree.

The actors shows a really good work for this stage especially Hal Fowler, who's also in Solo: A Star Wars Story movie.

The musical stage has been made into a big-screen adaptation (same title) with Tom Hardy and Olivia Colman as the headline.

Movie title : Recall (空飛ぶタイヤ/)

Synopsis : A woman was killed by a truck wheel, which flew off while the vehicle was in motion. As the freight company which owns the truck becomes the target of the public and the media’s wrath, Tokuro Akamatsu, the president of the freight company, realizes that a structural defect within the truck itself may have been to blame. A conspiracy of the wheel manufacturer's attempts to cover up a defective product is uncovered.

I enjoy the acting of Tomoya Nagase as Tokuro Akamatsu, Dean Fujioka as Yuta Sawada, Issey Takahashi as Kazuaki Izaki, Kyoko Fukada as Fumie Akamatsu, and Joji Kokubo as Kodo Kimoto, especially this guy Joji Kokubo.

What is your favorite Japanese movie?

Hurricane Bianca: From Russia with Hate

Movie Synopsis : After winning over the staff and students of Milford High School, chemistry teacher Richard Martinez aka Bianca Del Rio sent her nemesis Vice Principal Deborah “Debbie” Ward to jail in a flawlessly executed plan. When Debbie is released from jail, she conjures up a scheme to do away with Bianca Del Rio once and for all, by luring her on a dangerous journey to Russia to accept a teaching award and cash prize.

Starring Roy Haylock as Bianca Del Rio, Alicia Goranson as Angela Jo, Kristen Johnston as Roksana, Dot Jones as Svetlana, and Doug Plaut as Rex.

The actors are doing great job in this movie especially the actor Doug Plaut.

This look like an interesting Drag Movie.

One of my favorite dance movie is Honey, Jessica Alba was the lead and i have no idea she could dance and she is turn out to be really good in the movie.

Now the series has come to the 4th installment titled Honey: Rise Up and Dance with new talented actresses and actors 

Movie Synopsis : Street dancer Skyler comes out of the shadow of her trained dancer sister, Tosha, & joins a dance competition with the Honey dance studio; the prize is a college scholarship.

Teyana Taylor as Skyler, Bryshere Y. Gray as Tyrell, Sierra Aylina McClain as Tosha, and Kwajalyn Brown as April. I really like the actors they put great efforts for their role in this, especially Kwajalyn Brown, she is one of the most underrated actors out there

What is your favorite dance movie?

I've always liked Save the Last Dance with Julia Stiles. It's not a good movie (I don't know if there are any good dace movies :giggle:), but I saw it when I was pretty young so it has a nostalgic place in my heart . 

I went to see Bohemian Rhapsody these days and I loved it! If by any chance you haven't seen it yet, I totally recommand it.

I am a casual Queen fan, so I will not get into how loyal it was or wasn't to Freddie's/the band's history. It was a very enjoyable and well done movie, and the music was beautifully sewn into the plot, I loved that. And Rami Malek did a really good job.

I haven't seen that many movies this year, but it could very well be the movie of the year for me. :) 

I haven't seen BR yet, will probably be at home sometime next year now, but the movie I really enjoyed was the new A Star Is Born - just amazing!  And both Lady GaGa and Bradley Cooper were sensational:clap:

@Sophia It was definitely the movie of the year for me! I only knew like 5 or so of their songs, but when a song came up in the movie I got chills, and after watching it I just wanted to know everything about them and I watched so many of their interviews and concerts. Even though it wasn't completely accurate, it still was a great tribute to Queen and Freddie, I loved it.

@Lena Agree! I was familiar with their music, but I went with a friend who wasn't (initially she said she has no idea who Queen are - and I was wondering, wait, what, do such people exist? We are not that young! - but then during the movie she was like "Hey, I know this song. Oh, I've heard this one too!"...) and she liked it as well, and said that she has to listen to them more often. 

So it looks like both Queen fans and random movie watchers can enjoy the movie, which just speaks for itself. It's a good one. :)

I just came back from Mary Poppins Returns, it has some major problems but I still really enjoyed myself. First I have to say I'm a huge fan of the original Mary Poppins (I still have my old vhs tape) so I don't know how the movie comes across if your not familiar with the orignal. Emily Blunt is great as Mary Poppins, I also like the kids and grown up Jane Banks. I didn't really like Lin Manuel Miranda as replacement Bert, and they have him rapping in one song it's not good:negative:. I had some issues with the story, the Banks are going to get evicted from their house if they don't find a piece of paper by a certain date and it's super obvious where it is, also Michael is grieving for his dead wife so I get that we are supposed to cut him some slack but he is really irresponsible with his kids and important documents :rolleyes:. I know these complaints are a little nitpicky, but I can't help compare to the original film and there the we saw the dad had problems relating to his kids, but he was never incompetent he was just too absorbed in his own world. I just wish Michael's character was better written. The songs are ok, but for most of them you can't really understand the lyrics, I saw the movie with subtitles so it wasn't a big deal for me but my mom complained. 

Another big thing is that new movie is beat for beat a ripoff of the original, basically every scene has a matching one in the original complete with parts of the reworked score playing at the appropriate moments to set off nostalgic feeling. I have to say it worked on me, I got emotional, I was sad in the right parts and happy in others.

So would I recommend it? yes. Is it as good as the 1964 Mary Poppins? no, but I have been watching that movie since I was a child, the new one never had a chance of beating it. Mary Poppins Returns managed to evoke an emotional response in me (even if they sort of cheated) and that is really what I care about in movies.

My favorite song is ״The Place Where Lost Things Go״ by sung Emily Blunt (it's the "Feed The Birds" parallel, seriously there isn't anything original in this movie EVERYTHING is recycled from the first :giggle:. Still got to me though...).

ON THE EDGE (IRL - 2001)

After the death of his alcoholic father, young man Jonathan Breech steals his father's ashes, which stood in the house of his brother. Next thing he does, is stealing a car and trying to commit suicide by driving it from a cliff. He tries, but fails.

When his case comes to court, the judge orders him to follow a three months course/therapy in a psychiatric hospital. He accepts his ordeal and joins a suicidal group under the guidance of Dr. Figure. He meets the disturbed Rachel Row (who saw her mother crash and die in a car accident) and is strangely attracted to her personality, but also challenging behaviour. Another person who he befriends is Toby, who accidentally killed his brother in another car crash.  

Despite his own distant behaviour and hiding it behind a wall of sarcasme, Jonathan manages to change his negative attitude towards being alive and finds out that there are still things and persons worth to live for.

During the film there are some disturbing scenes, foul language and scenes with drugs related contents. It's also quite a hard film....you really have to be in the mood for it! It's not that the soundtrack carries the film, but it plays a significant part into rating it higher than other similar films. It also has that distinctive Irish undertone, which sets it apart from British films.

Movie Synopsis : Genius Belgian detective Hercule Poirot investigates the murder of an American tycoon aboard the Orient Express train.

Starring : Kenneth Branagh as Hercule Poirot, Penélope Cruz as Pilar Estravados, Johnny Depp as Edward Ratchett, Daisy Ridley as Miss Mary Debenham, and Asan N'jie.

Murder on the Orient Express is a 2017 mystery thriller film and is the movie adaptation from Agatha Christie's Novel with the same title.

iBlfxlw8qwtUS0R8YjIU7JtM6LM-1038x1557.jp

2. Sobibor

Movie Synopsis : Based on the true story, international historical project “Sobibor” is dedicated to the heroism of the Soviet o cer Alexander Pechersky. During the great Patriotic war, being in a Nazi concentration camp Sobibor, he managed to do the impossible — for only three weeks to organize a revolt and mass escape of the prisoners. Part of the escapees were caught and shot, and the rest led by Pechersky managed to escape and joined the partisans.

Starring : Konstantin Khabenskiy as Alexander Pechersky, Christopher Lambert as Karl Frenzel, Mariya Kozhevnikova as Selma, Michalina Olszanska as Hanna, and Gela Meskhi as Semyon Rosenfeld

rGOB5Xm0l0zAWAzVzeTnOPDMVQA.jpg

For those who don's know Sobibór was a Nazi German extermination camp built and operated by the SS during World War II near the railway station of Sobibór near Włodawa within the semi-colonial territory of General Government of the occupied Second Polish Republic.

The camp was part of the secretive Operation Reinhard, the deadliest phase of the Holocaust in German-occupied Poland. Its official German name was SS-Sonderkommando Sobibór. Jews from Poland, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Czechoslovakia, and the Soviet Union (including Jewish-Soviet POWs), were transported to Sobibór by rail. Most were suffocated in gas chambers fed by the exhaust of a large petrol engine.

At least 200,000 people were murdered at Sobibór. At the postwar trial against the former SS personnel of Sobibór, held in Hagen two decades into the Cold War, Professor Wolfgang Scheffler estimated the number of murdered Jews to have been at least 250,000, while Gasmeister ("Gas Master") Erich Bauer estimated 350,000. This number would make it the fourth most deadly extermination camp, after Bełżec, Treblinka, and Auschwitz.

3. Roma

Movie Synopsis : A story that chronicles a year in the life of a middle-class family in Mexico City in the early 1970s.

Starring : Yalitza Aparicio as Cleo, Zarela Lizbeth Chinolla Arellano as Dra. Velez Nicolás, Marina de Tavira as Sra. Sofía, Carlos Peralta as Paco, and Nicolas Perez Taylor Felix as Beto Pardo.

nD4C3OpiwoNrhWw1FspPuGKqbZC-1038x1557.jp

This film received unanimous critical acclaim, with reviewers calling it "achingly beautiful" and "engrossing", and was chosen by Time magazine and the New York Film Critics Circle as the best film of 2018, and by the National Board of Review as one of the top ten best films of 2018. At the 76th Golden Globe Awards, it earned nominations for Best Foreign Language Film, Best Director, and Best Screenplay. It was also selected as the Mexican entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 91st Academy Awards, making the December shortlist.

Movie Synopsis : It is a retelling of E. T. A. Hoffmann's short story "The Nutcracker and the Mouse King" and Marius Petipa's The Nutcracker, about a young girl who is gifted a locked egg from her deceased mother and sets out in a magical land to retrieve the key.

Starring : Mackenzie Foy as Clara, Jayden Fowora-Knight as Phillip, Morgan Freeman as Drosselmeyer, Helen Mirren as Mother Ginger, and Keira Knightley as Sugar Plum.

aRD1vLU7k5NHO0HThfHrjEQwWRz-1-768x1152.j

Movie Synopsis : Blake Conway, aspiring journalist, hopeless romantic and college senior, is terrified of graduating. In order to escape her looming post-graduation fate that includes student debt and zero romantic prospects, she becomes a sugar baby. As she documents the adventure in the hopes of winning a journalism award with a generous cash prize, she sets out on a quest to figure out if society is right to judge these woman and if her own self worth comes with a price.

Starring : Jessica Barden as Blake, Hayley Law as Nikki, Brett Dier as Jacob, Camila Mendes as Morgan, and Kamilla Kowal as Emily.

The Feminism vibe seems strong from the synopsis.

ljdP9P1HHfoMaiWRL9IUlp6HpsN-1038x1473.jp

Movie Synopsis : Lewis is an outwardly ordinary guy, but in reality he is hiding an obsession - revenge - against Cathy. Lewis kidnaps Cathy in broad daylight and takes her to his home, where he locks her in a soundproof cell and attempt to extract a dark secret from her past.

Starrig : Luke Evans as Lewis, Kelly Reilly as Cathy, Noel Clarke as Dennis, Olivia Chenery as Alana, and Benjamin Hoetjes as Casey.

If you love Luke Evans in Furious 7 or Beauty and the best then you should give this movie a shot.

egMETBYual2JtfFGigXTA0tGkME-768x1152.jpg

Movie Synopsis : A vigilante with a mysterious past becomes a one-man army in a crime-infested town as he takes the law into his own hands, at the same time protecting a young mother and her daughter. He sets his sights on a local kingpin, setting up an action-packed and fateful confrontation.

Starring : Robert "Bronzi" Kovacs as The Stranger, Daniel Baldwin as Dan Forthright, Richard Tyson as Tyrell, Eva Hamilton as Ana, Stormi Maya as Tanya.

u79j7BUvjHjMFNW1JO7asfSIpQz.jpg

For fans of Dance or Cheerleaders movie

Movie Synopsis : Seventeen year old, Emma joins a high school cheerleading team when she moves to Australia with her dad who is a former Air Force Officer.

Starring : Kelli Berglund as Emma, Emily Morris as Hannah, Jo Stone as Susan, Ruth Fallon as Coach Caitlyn, and Boone Sterck as Ethan.

ktPmQGtyPKnKHlFSd1ppXTb8uTk-1-683x1024.j