Meira

The Floor thread

1,437 posts in this topic

From Wikipedia:

Floor Jansen (pronounced [flɔr ˈjɑnsɛn]; born 21 February 1981 in Goirle) is a Dutch singer and songwriter. She is a classically trained Dramatic Soprano, and sings in the styles of rock and heavy metal such as symphonic, progressive and power metal. She also has the versatility to sing opera and belt as well as death growls, aggressive and harsh singing. She is the current lead vocalist of the Finnish symphonic metal band Nightwish and the Dutch progressive metal band ReVamp.

Jansen had been the lead vocalist of symphonic metal band After Forever that she joined in 1997. After they disbanded in 2009, she created ReVamp and released two albums with the band. In 2012 following the departure of their lead vocalist Anette Olzon, Nightwish replaced her with Jansen as a session member until the end of their Imaginaerum World Tour. In 2013 the band announced her as their now full-time lead vocalist.

floorjansen.com

Facebook

Twitter

thumb_378_auto.jpg

I'm pretty excited about the upcoming tour when Floor will rise the stage as official singer. I have a feeling they will play The Poet and the Pendulum in place of GLS, and I would appreciate it very much. She could sing the soprano's boy part at the beginning of the song. As well as The Pharaoh Sails to Orion, as we were discussing in the last thread.

I would love it if they added TPATP in the setlist. Actually i'm pretty curious about the setlist in general. what songs they are bringing back from the dead and which ones they are keeping from the Irum tour.

I'd love to hear more stuff from Oceanborn and Wishmaster. I believe that they could bring back The Phantom of the Opera, though Tuomas doesn't show any interest to play that one.

The main issue as I see it with playing PatP on the next tour (and the same goes for GLS) is that we know they're working on possibly the longest NW song ever for the next album. Unless it's not suitable for playing live for some reason, or it has a part that can be easily cut out of live performances making it a more manageable length (as Song of Myself had), then that song is likely to be played on the next tour. Let's assume that this song is around the 15 minute mark. Add PatP to that, and you've got nearly 30 minutes of setlist time (which is somewhere around a third of the entire set, if not slightly more) devoted to 2 songs. Bear in mind that they will be wanting to play several other songs off the new album (probably around 4/5 per show minimum), and a selection from the past albums (a selection that will be larger owing to the need to include Imaginaerum songs in here, too), and it's starting to look a bit overcrowded. I mean, I'd love to see Beauty of the Beast live, but again, I doubt it's going to happen on a regular basis for the same reason.

I'm sure they will play PatP live at some point (Floor has stated her wish to try it, and if they ever do the orchestral concert that they've been talking about for so long, then it would obviously make sense to choose this for the setlist as it is very heavy on the orchestra), but as to whether it will be on this tour, I'm not sure, and I doubt that it will become a staple of the setlist as it was on the DPP tour, and as GLS was on the Once (and Floor's leg of the Imaginaerum tour) simply for reasons of space.

I'm in two minds about Sahara- it is a fun song, and I'd quite like to see it reintroduced, but I'm not sure if it might have suited Anette's style of vocals more than it might suit Floor's, but hey, I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

I'd quite like to see Floor's take on "End of All Hope", myself.

I've forgotten about the 20-minute song. Really, the setlist would take too long if they play such song with the original length + The Poet and the Pendulum or Ghost Love Score. An alternative could be increase the concerts duration, even more with so much material available.

My perfect setlist for the upcoming tour would be something like this:

1. Intro + new song

2. The Kinslayer

3. Amaranth

4. New song

5. The Phantom of the Opera

6. Storytime

7. I Want My Tears Back (with Troy)

8. Nemo (with Troy)

9. New song (with Troy)

10. Gethsemane (with Troy)

11. The Poet and the Pendulum

12. Sahara

13. New song

14. Dead Boy's Poem (or Sleeping Sun)

15. Slaying the Dreamer

16. New song (20-minute song, with Troy)

17. Wishmaster + outro

I think Floor's fits very well with the songs from DPP like Whoever Brings The Night or TPATP.

About that long songs, their only option is alternating between GLS, Beauty Of The Beast, TPATP and the new song.

Floor has said she would like to sing Poet and the Pendelum. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that and Slaying the Dreamer. 

I think PATP would really benefit for her excellent understanding of the dramatic arch in a song. I never though much of the GLS as a song before she sang it. PATP already has awesome dynamic and dramatic highlights; I think if they played it with Floor it would blow us all away. 

Floor has said she would like to sing Poet and the Pendelum. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that and Slaying the Dreamer. 

I think PATP would really benefit for her excellent understanding of the dramatic arch in a song. I never though much of the GLS as a song before she sang it. PATP already has awesome dynamic and dramatic highlights; I think if they played it with Floor it would blow us all away. 

Slaying the Dreamer I agree!!! would be so amazing with Floor vocals...

I´ve said it before and I say it again: 10th Man Down. I think Floor would nail it.

Truly Romanticide is one of my least favourite songs. Slaying The Dreamer has a similar style but I like it so I would be happy if they make this change.

I expect TPATP to appear on the next tour, it would be such a disappointment if they do not play it. 

And I was hoping for this as well. She would nail the soprano boy's part:

I have a feeling they will play The Poet and the Pendulum in place of GLS, and I would appreciate it very much. She could sing the soprano's boy part at the beginning of the song

And hopefully, they put Amaranth and WIHAA to rest or out of the setlist. Same with Over the Hills and welcome new additions like Sacrament of Wilderness, 10th Man Down or Elvenpath!

I think GLS will still be a part of the future setlist, as well as Nemo & Ever Dream. Hopefully, they would only keep Ghost River from Imaginaerum and maybe 7 Days to the Wolves from DPP. That would do I guess.

@Emerie
Indeed, she would nail the soprano boy's part and the operatic background vocals at 9:39.

I also hope they will put WIHaA and Amaranth out of the setlist, though the latter was on my ideal setlist. But I think those songs are saturated and Floor opened a lot of possibilities too.

I hope they stick with GLS, Poet and the Pendulum will be great as well. I've got a feeling nothing from Angels Fall First will be used. Nemo and Amaranth will probably be part of any setlist along with Storytime and Song of Myself. I would expect probably 4 -6 songs from the new album including the long one and Ever Dream, Bless the Child from the Century Child album and She is my Sin from Wishmaster, maybe Wishmaster as well. As much as I would like to hear 10th Man Down or Pharaoh Sails to Orion but I don't think it'll happen.

I think there's a chance they'll play some old songs at their own shows, but maybe not in a festival show.

Based on the London setlist I saw last time, I would guess:

6 songs from the new album 

2/3 from Imaginaerum

1/2 from Dark Passion Play

4 from Once

1 from Wishmaster

1 from Oceanborn (or a cover)

They'll probably include some of the Imaginaerum/DPP songs that feature Troy to give him more to do. But hey, I'm just speculating, they might play the whole of Angels Fall First for all I know. :P

Edit: Forgot Century Child. I think there will be 1/2 songs from Century Child as well.

Based on the London setlist I saw last time, I would guess:

6 songs from the new album 

2/3 from Imaginaerum

1/2 from Dark Passion Play

4 from Once

1 from Wishmaster

1 from Oceanborn (or a cover)

They'll probably include some of the Imaginaerum/DPP songs that feature Troy to give him more to do. But hey, I'm just speculating, they might play the whole of Angels Fall First for all I know. :P

You're forgeting Century Child. I doubt that Ever Dream will ever disappear entirely and Bless the Child has just "recently" been put back to the setlist. Or a least I hope that they always play something from my favourite album. :)

Oh that would be so awesome! I always liked bands that go through at least 1-2 songs from each of their albums (or eras, if you're Iron Maiden and have 15 albums) instead of having 90% of the setlist consist of songs from the last album.

I wish this board can vote in encore songs, Floor did say she is cool with anything in the discography.

She'd give the old bonus tracks dreamy new life for sure.

You're forgeting Century Child. I doubt that Ever Dream will ever disappear entirely and Bless the Child has just "recently" been put back to the setlist. Or a least I hope that they always play something from my favourite album.

Oh yes, sorry! I wasn't intending to say they weren't going to play anything from CC, lol. I just missed it out by accident. I think there will be 1/2 songs from CC.

Fixed the colours in the quote. - Dandelion