Meira

The Floor thread

1,609 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, crypt said:

Haha :laugh: Or maybe she announces that she will play the guitar on the upcoming Album and Emppu will sing. As we all know she and the band as a whole likes trying new stuff :D 

On the new Take That album?  Interesting....

:wacko:

9 minutes ago, Essexboyinwales said:

On the new Take That album?  Interesting....

:wacko:

Of Course :teehee:

Floor will be a part of a dutch TV-show called "The best singers" where 7 famous dutch singers gather for a dinner each night for 7 days were they all have their dedicated night were the other singers make renditions of their songs :) (Have the same show here in Norway called "Hver gang vi møtes").

I think Sharon also was a part of this a couple of years ago. 

Oh, I love that! This show format is such a fun idea... It will be great hearing Floor's take on other artists' songs, but even more so their covers of her songs! Will someone pick Nightwish, I wonder? Not too many to choose from.

She's seemingly on Ibiza already.

13 minutes ago, Marius said:

Floor will be a part of a dutch TV-show called "The best singers" where 7 famous dutch singers gather for a dinner each night for 7 days were they all have their dedicated night were the other singers make renditions of their songs :) (Have the same show here in Norway called "Hver gang vi møtes").

I think Sharon also was a part of this a couple of years ago. 

Wow, nice one! (Not exactly what Essexboyinwales and I thought of though :D) Also love the text she wrote there, about the perception of metal-music in the Mainstream media and that she sees herself as an "ambassador of good Music" (which she certainly is :) ) in this show. This will be very interesting to watch for sure. We have a similar Show here in Germany but I never payed Attention to that to be honest, because I am not a fan of the "Mainstream/Radio"-Music represented there. With Floor there though, this is of course a must-see :) I am really curious how she will deal with the other Songs and vice versa (as NeoGeorg already stated)

I feel a fetdown with this news.. I Thought it Will be New music project.. NOT interested then.. 

It's kinda funny reading the comments on the Beste Zangers Facebook post. So many Dutch people who have no idea who Floor is. I hope her episode will give her some of the recognition she deserves, frankly put. (Am I biased? Of course I'm biased.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Floor has more fans than the others combined. :D

So naturally I went onto Facebook to check.

• Emma Heesters: ~209.000 likes
  • Floor Jansen: ~209.000 likes
  • Rolf Sanchez: ~65.000 likes
  • Samantha Steenwijk: ~51.000 likes
  • Tim Akkerman: ~7800 likes
  • Henk Poort: ~4400 likes
  • Ruben Annink: ~4100 likes

So, okay. This Emma Heesters actually wins by just a few people. BUT WAIT! All the others are solo artists. Floor is in a band, called Nightwish. With 4.2 million likes

So there it is. Floor wins, and I need a life.

Is it the exact same show that Sharon was in? Cause that was interesting, and I liked how they released the songs as singles.

Sharon was in the Belgian version - Liefde voor muziek. A lot of countries have this show (we have an all-star season this year), but the Dutch one is the original!

Sharon did a similar Belgian show and she is pretty good at giving other singers' songs her own touch. She's very flexible and innovative and she also loves it.

Now, I'm going to admit something.................Apart from Henk Poort, who is a well known opera singer, I've never heard of any of the other names!!!!! It could speak volumes about my interest for main stream (Dutch) music nowadays or for the lack of quality of it. :pardon:

When I read the first lines of this news flash, I immediately thought of Anouk, Anneke, Caro, Kovacs, Sharon, Charlotte, Dianne etc. and thought: 'Wow, this going to be interesting!'. Then I read those names and my expectations went like a collapsed pudding......pfffffffffff!!

Yeah, ofcourse there maybe some nice interpretations, but to call them 'FAMOUS' Dutch singers (apart from Floor)..........is just utter Farcebook hype for nothing!! Like most of the time. My word....Rolf Sanchez.....Samantha Steenwijk........ who????? 

I'm now going to finish my pudding...........

dscn02461.jpg

This could be interesting. Floor is meeting the public part way. With her physical stature (even amongst the Dutch), her calm authority, the tattoos, the presence, the voice and skill, and her uncomplicated charm - I predict stereotypes will be simultaneously confirmed and entirely destroyed for many people. They certainly were for me.

She's at that curious nadir in her career. On top of the world technically, artistically and in terms of "making it" in her genre. Where to go, what to do from here? "Up" will mean taking the entire genre higher - there is no current higher to aspire to. Lateral moves are possible and she's dabbled in other styles, but I think her commitment to metal is very real.

She doesn't need "fame" or "advancement" - already checked off. So I see this as part personal interest and maybe genuine giving back to the community. This will lead people to her, to Nightwish, to symphonic metal etc. For me, the discovery couldn't have been through a better muse. Prog metal seemed a natural extension and I certainly was familiar with prog rock. Symphonic-in-metal seems to work so much better than I'd have ever expected.

This is a concert week for me, onstage in the orchestra with over 100 coral singers. It's  Brahms' setting of Luther's update to the Latin Mass for the dead, the cusp of spring, Easter, death, rebirth and renewal. Brahms' Ein deutsches Requiem, bringing this profound experience to the German people in their own language. The symbolism isn't lost on me. It's going to be emotional for me, I already know. I teared up on the way to work thinking about it (and that's not typical for me in public).

And sitting in rehearsal I literally thought, no joke, "How would Floor do this?" The Dutch are about to have The Floor Jansen Experience. I'll love to see what might come of it all.

I think this is a fantastic opportunity for her. It will expose her to more fans in NL and possibly outside NL. With her powerhouse pipes, it's about time she got more recognition. She's always kind of been "metal's little secret." And even within the metal community, not everyone knows who she is.

I'm most curious to hear her reworking of other songs. I know she's talented enough to do so well. I can't wait to hear them. I just love Sharon's songs.

I am also extremely curious to know which songs from her expansive discography will be covered by the other artists. I assume with NW they are limited to EFMB songs. Then they have After Forever, ReVamp, and Northward to choose from. Maybe even more songs. On the show Sharon did, they even reworked "In and Out of Love." That version was so beautiful Sharon covered it herself at a My Indigo show, haha. And she also loved the reworking of Ice Queen so much, Within Temptation added it to their shows. So, it makes me curious about what we will see with Floor's songs.

So it begins :horns: Too bad we have to wait until August :(

*un-lurking*

I had expected something different, too, but let's stay open-minded - I'm sure Floor has the ability to even give pop rubbish her very own, interesting spin.

As for her discography, it would be a shame if they excluded her live records with NW from the menue. Would be interested in hearing the opera singer's take on her version of GLS...

28 minutes ago, Spectre said:

Would be interested in hearing the opera singer's take on her version of GLS...

Wanna hear that! :D

On 4/12/2019 at 1:56 PM, NeoGeorg said:

Sharon was in the Belgian version - Liefde voor muziek. A lot of countries have this show (we have an all-star season this year), but the Dutch one is the original!

The Dutch shows tend to be the originals. Idol and Survivor also came from the Netherlands I think.

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

The Dutch shows tend to be the originals. Idol and Survivor also came from the Netherlands I think.

The whole Idol / Idols franchise originated in the UK, actually. Another big one that is from The Netherlands is The Voice.

Yep, and so was Big Brother!!!! :bad:

I hereby sincerely apologize to all genuine music lovers all over the world for the crap shows we do invent!:music:

48 minutes ago, hunebedbouwer said:

I hereby sincerely apologize to all genuine music lovers all over the world for the crap shows we do invent!:music:

You almost sound Canadian in your self-effacement, eh? ;)

1 hour ago, hunebedbouwer said:

Yep, and so was Big Brother!!!! :bad:

:rofl: Well, on the other hand you are also "responsible" for people like Floor, so you are off the hook :D

@Figment-of-me

I feel your enormous pain just thinking of Justin Bieber & Co., but as Always, all is truly forgiven because of Leonard:ok:

@crypt

O, but we DO have great music programs, but they are only known to the Dutch!:P

@Spectre

The other singers might just do songs from After Forever, Northward and Revamp, you know. Just be emotionally prepared for all possibillities, my friend! :D 

11 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

@Figment-of-me

I feel your enormous pain just thinking of Justin Bieber & Co., but as Always, all is truly forgiven because of Leonard:ok:

"I have tried in my way to be free." A motto for the human condition, simply and elegantly stated.

After letting the rehearsal footage of After Forever @ Bilbao Spain sink in (in the After Forever thread), an internal war was waged over the stupidity of what I'm now doing. The idiots seem to have won this time.

Please pre-excuse the sappiness - I do know this is a metal forum!

If you can suspend your disbelief... this is offered platonically, indicating my respect and admiration. She has touched many people, whether knowingly or not. And regrets, I am happily spoken for dear lady! Ha ha.

David Francey has had the gift of expressing profound thoughts and feelings in simple language - something I greatly admire. His body of work is full of, "I wish I'd thought of that" turns of phrase. [He has a heavy accent. The last line is, "count myself among...", not "kill myself..." ;-> ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYMIdE8i110