Meira

The Floor thread

2,208 posts in this topic

When Rolf said that about the letter my mind immediatly flashed to the Poet and the Pendulum and I thought, well, Tuomas was able to make a 14 minute song out of it without the help of a manager.

Apart from that I agree that you could tell that poor Floor was out of her comfort zone this episode, but I think she was not the only one. Tim clearly was too, he just handled it differently with Tequila :P

I'm quite interested in what songs other participants will choose for their performances for the 'Floor Saturday', but for some reason I don't set my hopes for a lot of interesting NW/AF/Ayreon/Northward/ReVamp covers that high.

During previous episodes we've seen that some people do not necessarily choose anything from artist's repertoire, and can get away with smth like "I know your grandmother used to sing this tune when you were little, so here it is." And while it is a nice gesture and all, it is still a kind of cheating, in my opinion :)

I think there will be some material from NW we'll get to hear, most likely Elan and maybe Nemo or Sleeping Sun, though I'm not that sure about the latest.

Most recent project of Floor is Northward, and by far it has the most accessible material for non-metal singers, I think. So I'd put some money some song from that album will be performed, most likely 'While Love Died' (and I bet that Tim is gonna perform it!)).

And somehow I think Energize Me will be the only AF song presented at Beste Zangers.

It would be really great to hear from other participants how far they had dived in Floor's discography in order to find some songs they can perform. Did they go through 2 ReVamp albums and hear Floor growl, e.g.?))

2 minutes ago, Hevein said:

And somehow I think Energize Me will be the only AF song presented at Beste Zangers.

Emma is doing Strong

10 hours ago, Figment-of-me said:

Oh, looks like there's some way to have youtube/google auto-translate the Dutch captions? Is that a real thing?

It really does work for anyone who's interested. There are instructions in the comments to that video.

I've been listening to some recordings from her After Forever and very early ReVamp days. She clearly had a lot of skill even back then, but it's such a massive difference compared to the level she is at right now. All the nuances in her voice, which weren't really present back then. The way she interprets what she's singing. Just comparing After Forever's cover of Alone with her performance of Mama from Beste Zangers shows this pretty well. Her timbre sounds a lot clearer now, and can introduce a lot more vocal distortion to sound really raspy and gritty if need be. It's so nice to hear a great vocalist not only going from strength to strength but also just getting better and better as the years go by, when so many others sadly venture off in questionable directions or downright let their voices deteriorate. Floor really deserves all the praise she's getting these days. 

19 hours ago, Figment-of-me said:

Is there an English subtitled version? 

At least for Floor's part there is one:

Loved that documentary and that moment when she got emotional, I almost cried myself :D

@NighttimeBird np. That a fan in the Netherlands only finds this through someone in Canada just shows the problem Floor is currently correcting!

@crypt I think I must have seen that version at one point. Agree her reaction in the class is very moving and also the whole section about her parents and the Tampere show. Will be great to watch the full thing with subtitles.

And almost one hour of Floor... that does make me cry. :cry:

(Why is it when I need sleep the most I sleep the least...)

On 9/10/2019 at 5:39 PM, Hevein said:

ple do not necessarily choose anything from artist's repertoire, and can get away with smth like "I know your grandmother used to sing this tune when you were little, so here it is." And while it is a nice gesture and all, it is still a kind of cheating, in my opinion :)

I

Agreed, they shouldn't allow that - "this song was on the radio when you were at the dentist's, getting your tooth pulled".

Can't complain about that James Brown performance by Emma, though ;)

Dunno if you guys noticed - but Que Se Siente has been released as a single (whereas the other two songs so far have not!)

Edit: and it's 6 on the itunes charts already

So Tim is going to do Nemo. And Rolf Hotel California. I guess that is a kind of "favourite song of your mother/father" deal. 

1 hour ago, icebreaker said:

So Tim is going to do Nemo. And Rolf Hotel California. I guess that is a kind of "favourite song of your mother/father" deal. 

Hotel California? LOL! And I was thinking they wouldn't play Tarja-NW songs :P

Yeah, I'm not a fan of being able to pick songs not by the artist. It's one thing if the artist in question isn't known for singing original material to begin with, like Henk whom I'm guessing is more known for his voice and the roles he's played in operas, but when someone has a vast catalogue of original songs to choose from... why pick something seemingly random by a totally unrelated band? Excited to hear the other performances though! Especially Samantha's.

28 minutes ago, icebreaker said:

Also this dropped. I am really hyped for Saturday!

For the non-Dutchies around here, I made a rough translation earlier this eve:

Spoiler

"Hey"
' Well, Goodmorning!"
"Breakfast in bed!"
"You're kidding?"
"You're the headguest tonight, right? "
"yeah"
"And we're gonna pamper you already"
"How sweet!"
"I know right!"
"Tonight is the night of Floor Jansen. She normally makes symphonic metal music"
"How sweet!"
"On your day!"
"Cheers!"
"I am gonna hug you now - a robe hug"
Laughing 
"So sweet of you"
"Floor Jansen with Nightwish... She's the best selling record artist of the Netherlands and there aren't many people who know her."
"I think I am the only one within the entire group who's known Floor already for a while - even from before Nightwish. What I like so much about Floor is that she's very sweet and graceful in everything she does. And when she's on stage, well then a voice comes out - seriously, so intense"
"Wow man, there's such an energy coming off that stage, insane, insane, how she plays the music, and then the operatic voice.."
"Amazing... her band is so insanely good"
"What she did so far, and is still doing at this moment. I think she's the best selling artist of the Netherlands at this moment and I hope, especially for her, that the rest of the Netherlands will embrace her more now"
"They went and sold over nine million albums! So I can imagine that everyone who has to sing for her are a bit scared now"
"This is truly a challenge for me. Floor's genre is miles away from what I normally do"
"Are you looking forward to it?"
"Yeah, very much! I'm very curious to see what's going to happen and what you all prepared for me and which song you chose to do."

Also someone found a playlist about Floor's ep and rumour has it Henk's gonna do Sound of Silence and  Ruben's gonna do Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)  

3 minutes ago, SilentDawn said:

Henk's gonna do Sound of Silence and  Ruben's gonna do Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)   

Floor's faves?

If that's true then it's a big disappointment. They had a literal treasure trove to choose from - with plenty of songs not being that obscure - yet they chose to dig in other people's yards.

At least Floor finally gets the well deserved attention.

44 minutes ago, Magnus said:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of being able to pick songs not by the artist. It's one thing if the artist in question isn't known for singing original material to begin with, like Henk whom I'm guessing is more known for his voice and the roles he's played in operas, but when someone has a vast catalogue of original songs to choose from... why pick something seemingly random by a totally unrelated band? Excited to hear the other performances though! Especially Samantha's.

Yeah, and even Nemo seems kind of lame imo. You type Nemo on Youtube and you only see Tarja in the first few videos. Elan would be better imo.

Yeah, the choices seem to be a bit underwhelming so far. Floor has sung Nemo a lot but it's most closely associated with Tarja and was the Nightwish break-out hit way before Floor joined. As to Hotel California, not impressed by that choice either. We'll see what the argument for it is, but still, as said, Floor has such a large discography to choose from, why go with other bands? 

17 minutes ago, NeoGeorg said:

If that's true then it's a big disappointment. They had a literal treasure trove to choose from - with plenty of songs not being that obscure - yet they chose to dig in other people's yards.

At least Floor finally gets the well deserved attention.

Same here, I also think that there was a lot more potential in there.

On 9/10/2019 at 2:04 AM, Damian said:

If the rumours are right, my intuition was on point here. So I'll take the risk (?) and place my bet on the following songs:

Nemo (Tim Akkerman:)

@DamianHaha looks like you scored another hit :D

What the hell, I mean, all Floor's bands also have plenty of ballads or midtempo rocky songs that would have been appropriate for this kind of setting, and they choose to sing completely random covers by unrelated artists?! Feels like cheating... a lot. 

At least, she is gonna get some promotion in the Netherlands that will do her good when she starts her solo career after NW kicks her and Emppu out because Troy is gonna become the main and only vocalist and guitar player.