Meira

The Floor thread

2,324 posts in this topic

Wow, that was just amazing. I was not impressed with her singing TPOTO before, maybe because the recordings were muddy, maybe because she did not polish it enough, but this version is just ultimate for me. Both of them were excellent, not only singing-wise, but acting-wise as well! So much chemistry. I don't want to get into comparison battle, but this performance beats any TPOTO version done by Nightwish. 

The only thing that kind of irked me was the quivering jaw, which I believe should not be happening while singing, but again, for a non-classical singer and non-professional theatre performer, I thought this was really really well done, and seemed very secure and well rehearsed. 

Shallow was also nice, contrasting the more subdued solo Floor version. The song is really forgettable in itself, but Floor made it actually listenable for me. 

I will not hide it, I cried while listening to many of her performances on this show, she showed such an exquisite mixture of vocal prowess and showing-off, and the subtle storytelling holding off the technique. Loved every one of her renditions. 

Lastly, I also have to commend the show designers - this is such a great concept! Not a reality show, not a talent competition, just artists paying homage to each other in a touching way, while revealing a bit of their persona to the audience. Of course, I wish all the other participants paid as much attention when choosing their Floor-cover as Floor did when she did theirs, but whatever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Damian said:

Why can't we have Floor in Beste Zangers in all the next seasons???? :cry:I'm gonna miss her in this show sooo much :( Perhaps they could bring Anneke or Sharon next, that will be OK.

BTW, I think it's quite likely that we'll have Shallow on Floor's shows. It sounds as if it was written for her voice.

Sharon did participate in the Belgium version of this show and she was wonderful:
 

And Anneke would be amazing as well.

However my secret hope is that next year Marcela Bovio will participate. She is a very good singer who imho deserves a larger audience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though the End of an Era performance of The Phantom of the Opera is a classic in its own right, I feel like this is a better performance overall because Floor and Henk are totally in character here. When I watch this performance, I see Christine and the Phantom. Despite stellar vocals from both Tarja and Marko, they did not manage to convey this chemistry at all (same goes for the studio recording).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Magnus said:

Even though the End of an Era performance of The Phantom of the Opera is a classic in its own right, I feel like this is a better performance overall because Floor and Henk are totally in character here. When I watch this performance, I see Christine and the Phantom. Despite stellar vocals from both Tarja and Marko, they did not manage to convey this chemistry at all (same goes for the studio recording).

True, I think a large part of the reason for that is that Marco is playing his bass guitar, so he can't fully focus on vocals and can also not walk around on stage and interact with the other singer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, NighttimeBird said:

True, I think a large part of the reason for that is that Marco is playing his bass guitar, so he can't fully focus on vocals and can also not walk around on stage and interact with the other singer

Not sure if I agree. Like I said, both he and Tarja sing it very well on a technical level. The chemistry just isn't there, and I suspect that this is in part due to lack of interest in the source material and to some degree also the conflicts within the band at the time. It's not like Floor and Henk move around that much, but they're totally in character the entire time. And Marko and Floor have this chemistry too during performances like Devil & the Deep Dark Ocean where they both get really into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may have been asked before, but could Floor sing the songs she did on this show on her tour? I can see the right to the songs being an obstacle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Serena said:

 

So glad that this has been a good experience for her and has given her the recognition she deserves! Anddd... photo session with NW in London, she looks super beautiful , those eyelashes... and those eyes:laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, avalonkillah said:

This may have been asked before, but could Floor sing the songs she did on this show on her tour? I can see the right to the songs being an obstacle.

She is basically making these shows to sing these songs :P She will probably play all of them (maybe skipping one or two, imo at least).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, avalonkillah said:

This may have been asked before, but could Floor sing the songs she did on this show on her tour? I can see the right to the songs being an obstacle.

As far as I know she will sing all the songs from BZ, plus some from After Forever, Revamp, Northward and Nightwish. Henk will be a guest at all shows of her solo-tour + at the Nightwish show in Amsterdam.

6 minutes ago, L_Alpenglow said:

she looks super beautiful , those eyelashes... and those eyes:laugh:

Absolutely! :swoon:

 

EDIT: Ah, Imagineer was slightly faster :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, avalonkillah said:

This may have been asked before, but could Floor sing the songs she did on this show on her tour? I can see the right to the songs being an obstacle.

I don't think you need permission to cover anything live? You would need it to record and release it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still not sure if NW feat Henk will actually happen. They'd have to bring back TPOTP and Tuomas has said that they would never play it again. Sure, he said it back when Anette was in the band and they obviously wouldn't play it with her, but still I don't think that was the only reason. Of course who knows, he could have changed his mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Magnus said:

I don't think you need permission to cover anything live? You would need it to record and release it though.

I really don't know - I mean, music labels nowadays are taking videos off of YouTube of random people playing for example, a short snippet of an existing song non-profit, for education purposes. Now, they'd probably be more lenient with somebody like Fllor than with some random person on the Internet, but still. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure either, but I don't think "garage bands" or full cover bands would play any covers if they had to pay for them everytime :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Imagineer said:

I'm not sure either, but I don't think "garage bands" or full cover bands would play any covers if they had to pay for them everytime :P

Well, it probably makes no sense for music companies to hire an army of people to raid wedding and other low-profile private events around the world to make sure that nobody's playing any songs by artists they've got under contrast, however shows by somebody like Floor are bit more high-profile. Plus, she's selling tickets, so she's making money off of it (just to be absolutely clear: I have absolutely no problem with this and I'm not suggesting there's an ethical dilemma there, I'm just wondering one deals with rights when arranging live shows with copyrighted work like Floor is doing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think as long as she reports performing a copyrighted material and perhaps pays a royalty fee to copyright owners, they cannot forbid her to sing those songs live. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EDIT: Oops. Seems I accidentally made a double post by mistake while trying to edit this one. Sorry! To the moderators: feel free to delete this one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, avalonkillah said:

I really don't know - I mean, music labels nowadays are taking videos off of YouTube of random people playing for example, a short snippet of an existing song non-profit, for education purposes. Now, they'd probably be more lenient with somebody like Fllor than with some random person on the Internet, but still.  

Not the same thing though. Those recordings are owned by the record labels, who have every right to monitor how they're being monetised. The songs themselves, as in not a specific recording of them but the lyrics and melodies, are owned by the actual songwriters and not a label.

10 minutes ago, Baki said:

I think as long as she reports performing a copyrighted material and perhaps pays a royalty fee to copyright owners, they cannot forbid her to sing those songs live.  

I think that's right, but I'm not entirely sure. I would assume that if it's a within a professional context, when you're backed up by bureaucracy, you do indeed have to pay royalties unless the show is free of charge. Street musicians being an exception, for obvious reasons. But I think professional recordings are where the real money's at. For every copy sold of Tarja's Act 1 a certain percentage of the revenue is paid to Tuomas (due to the inclusion of Nemo) as well as Andrew Lloyd Webber (due to the inclusion of Phantom of the Opera). Not to mention the songwriters involved in the 80's medley. So financially it makes sense for a band to not include cover versions on their albums, compilations and live releases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Magnus said:

Not the same thing though. Those recordings are owned by the record labels, who have every right to monitor how they're being monetised. The songs themselves, as in not a specific recording of them but the lyrics and melodies, are owned by the actual songwriters and not a label.

I think that's right, but I'm not entirely sure. I would assume that if it's a within a professional context, when you're backed up by bureaucracy, you do indeed have to pay royalties unless the show is free of charge. Street musicians being an exception, for obvious reasons. But I think professional recordings are where the real money's at. For every copy sold of Tarja's Act 1 a certain percentage of the revenue is paid to Tuomas (due to the inclusion of Nemo) as well as Andrew Lloyd Webber (due to the inclusion of Phantom of the Opera). Not to mention the songwriters involved in the 80's medley. So financially it makes sense for a band to not include cover versions on their albums, compilations and live releases. 

When I said that labels were having videos of random people playing snippets of an existing song taken down, I did not mean people who post videos of e.g. Jimmy Page playing a snippet of a Zeppelin song, I meant people who pick up a guitar, play a snippet of Zeppelin/Queen, etc. etc. post it on YouTube, and then watch their videos get demonetized and just plain taken down  - sorry if I wasn't being clear on that. There's plenty of videos on YouTube where, for example, guitar teachers talk about this, and they never say: Brian May demanded that my video be taken down , they always say: Sony Music demanded that my video be taken down, Universal demanded that my video be taken down, etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Biased said:

Sharon did participate in the Belgium version of this show and she was wonderful:

And Anneke would be amazing as well.

However my secret hope is that next year Marcela Bovio will participate. She is a very good singer who imho deserves a larger audience.

I did know about it, but I'd love to see her in the Dutch version this time.

Marcela and Dianne would be awesome too, but they're not very popular as Anneke or Sharon, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wrt the ending of Phantom, this has been bugging me. To the extent I understand Floor, what she does on stage will be deliberate, carefully considered. So why the ending this way? Hard to think it was an artistic choice. So something else. But what?

I also don't think it's her style at all to be showing off - but maybe to send a message. Or to get ahead of critics who might say, "it's a trick of post production", or "OK but it almost killed her to do it!"

No. There's no doubt she can do this. Consistently, reliably. Maybe even easily. Would she want to send that message? It's a small puzzle to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Figment-of-me said:

wrt the ending of Phantom, this has been bugging me. To the extent I understand Floor, what she does on stage will be deliberate, carefully considered. So why the ending this way? Hard to think it was an artistic choice. So something else. But what?

Do you mean that it was different than here:

If so, I also wondered at some point why she did it differently at BZ but concluded that the way Floor and Henk performed it more beautifully reflects the moment between Erik and Christine in PotO. IMHO, the new version delivers great storytelling, in the Marco/Tarja and (previous) Joacim/Floor version the artists seem more detached.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh wow, this version of the Phantom was amazing, not just the technical performance but especially the story telling elevates it to another level. You can see that Henk Poort has a great amount of experience in playing the Phantom, and at least to me it sounded clear that he will join Nightwish for the show in Ziggo Dome, which will be great. Perhaps he could even join them for a couple of other songs apart from the Phantom, Last Ride of the Day seems like a great sing along. Since he’s already there.

And yes,  Floor and Henk are more in character than Tarja and Marko in End is an Era, I agree that they were probably not that much into it (Marko said in Once Upon a Nightwish that he looked at the musical version of the Phantom and wasn’t up for that which is why he hammed his performance up so much) plus of course the pending of a certain open letter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now