Magnus

Pet peeves

184 posts in this topic

Humorless moderators on music forums who kill all the fun by thinking some hilarious nonsense on certain threads will go on forever!

When I say I find Floor and Charlotte to be better singers then Tarja that's my opinion I really like them better. Sorry that's just me. Sorry I agree with Floor Slayer is boring and she has a right to that opinion and the right to say it. No I don't like In This Moment, Evanescence, Walls of Jericho, Taylor Momsen, Eyes Set to Kill, or Halestorm stop telling me I have to. They are not my cup of tea.

No I don't like metalcore, nu-metal, groove metal, or glam metal. No I don't like Pantera so how am I less of a metal fan?

Yeah these are just some of my pet peeves right here.

I find it silly to care about what other people think of you based on the music you listen. You listen to music because you like it, why would you pay attention to what someone thinks of it? I mean it's ok to discuss the actual music, that's the whole purpose of music forums, but to discuss the person who listens to it... why? Music responds to such a wide set of needs, I know a lot of people who listen both to the most deranged death metal and the most chill out electronic music, you have different styles for different times and different moods. 

As for watching the concert through the phone, I have to say that I'm sometimes happy someone in front of me is filming the show because that way I can actually see what's going on :) 

Yeah, I'm short, sometimes a high set phone is my best chance to see the stage... However, I think it's sad for those who are more interested in getting a steady image and good angle than to have fun and enjoy the show. But it's not my problem, in the end. 

In fact, I can't understand why so many people choose one style or genre of music and ignore (or even despise) the rest. It probably has to do with the need to belong to a social group, but I find it utterly impoverishing. Music is music and the emotions that any genre can give you are different and irreplaceable. If someone only listens to heavy metal  (or pop or whatever) will definitely only like that style and probably will be an expert at it, but he/she will be deaf to the rest of the music and won't even have an opinion about it. And you know what things are like: people who are unable to understand something, automatically ignore it or despise it, like the fable of the fox and the grapes.

People who brag about how many concerts they have been to for a band they like. People that say there is no fan bigger then them. Yeah first one no one cares. Second one there is no such thing as the biggest fan.

On ‎14‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 11:13 AM, Cristermo said:

In fact, I can't understand why so many people choose one style or genre of music and ignore (or even despise) the rest. It probably has to do with the need to belong to a social group, but I find it utterly impoverishing. Music is music and the emotions that any genre can give you are different and irreplaceable. If someone only listens to heavy metal  (or pop or whatever) will definitely only like that style and probably will be an expert at it, but he/she will be deaf to the rest of the music and won't even have an opinion about it. And you know what things are like: people who are unable to understand something, automatically ignore it or despise it, like the fable of the fox and the grapes.

Classic superiority complex. It feels good to feel superior to others and to believe you have it all figured out. This is nowhere as bad as in metal, modern rap and classic. But especially classic Snobs annoy me. Every Music uses the Basic Patterns invented hundreds of years ago morons, and that includes your sacred enlightened operas and the Music theory many of you so called "I know it all" classical fans are comically uneducated about. When I hear an opera singer say stuff like "what do I get out of People who don't understand my Music listening to my Music" I have to resist the urge to murder People. You get your JOB out of it. Be grateful you even get payed for something that is a Hobby for millions of other People with regular Jobs.

A pet peeve of mine: Snobs on metal magazines. The Riffs, the hooks, it's so hard, it's NOT COMMERCIAL (every Music that is sold is by Definition Commercial, but whatever) and it's TRUE and blablabla. This is what holds metal back: Elitism. And bands singing about Things they don't understand. Like black metal bands about PAIN I AM SO SICK!. As if most of you even know how it is to be mentally ill or what it really means to suffer. Some of you probably haven't even lost a Close friend or Family member yet. Not that I wish that upon you, but come on. Some of those black metal bands consist of Teenagers for the love of Christ.

And modern rap. Look, I know nigga doesn't mean the same as nigger to you. But to me as a White male European it still Comes across as if you don't care a whole heck of a lot about your ancestors' suffering and that you aren't even remotely grateful for what you have. You are millionaires and you explain all day about stuff you could fix yourself! I mean Kanye West, Christ. No you are NOT a good and you do NOT write great lyrics and you do NOT know anything about Music. Kendrick Lamar knows something about Music. He writes great lyrics and has a great flow and expressive voice. Kendrick Lamar is awesome. You suck Kanye. Plain and simple. And if he has a mental disorder, then here's an idea: Take a break to have it properly treated and THEN resume your Career. It's not like you couldn't hire ten doctors.

EDIT: @Razorclaw Well if they mean the bigger in a physical sense then it's unquestionably true for some of them :P But yeah, this annoys me too. I go see a band once on a tour, maybe twice, but not more. Would be boring, no matter how good the band is. Also People arguing about "you don't know about their discography because you like Album XYZ better". It's so stupid. Like as in my taste. I hate the word taste in programming. I think "coding styles" are a disease that promotes not learning fundamental principles. But in Music? Yes. What you like or don't like in Music is entirely subjective. Whether a musician Plays his or her Instrument well isn't. But that's not the same Thing.

On 8.5.2017 at 10:22 AM, Serious Sam said:

A pet peeve of mine: Snobs on metal magazines. The Riffs, the hooks, it's so hard, it's NOT COMMERCIAL (every Music that is sold is by Definition Commercial, but whatever) and it's TRUE and blablabla. This is what holds metal back: Elitism.

The same with every genre, I guess. There are always people, who think of themselves as true fan of whatever genre. Which basically means that the first EP recorded with a ghettoblaster in some cellar or garage and sold during gigs 25 years ago is still the best work in that genre and  everything since then is of course commercial, pop, generic, a rip-off of that EP and  so on. Then they keep parroting these words all over internet. And of course whining about the lack of individuality in modern music after parroting the same exact sentences over and over again. Talk about the Pot calling the kettle black. 

The other pet peeve of mine are people, who state their musical opinions as universal facts. There are no universal facts, when it comes to music. There are only different opinions and none of them are better than the other. There are people who want their music  superfancy and artsy fartsy, but then again someone else might think Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue by the Ramones is the best song ever. There are not some weird scientific truths about music and art in general. There are only different preferences. 

So I was watching some music videos by Lana Del Rey the other day. She's got a few great mellow songs that are perfect to listen to while winding down after a long day. But I digress. In the comments you see all of her fans calling her underrated. Like, really? She's got videos with 50+ million views. That's not underrated.

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

So I was watching some music videos by Lana Del Rey the other day. She's got a few great mellow songs that are perfect to listen to while winding down after a long day. But I digress. In the comments you see all of her fans calling her underrated. Like, really? She's got videos with 50+ million views. That's not underrated.

I tend to think Lana is overrated:).

To these comments, another pet peeve. People who flood the comment section of every classic band with comments like "why can't we have music like this instead of Justin Bieber/Nicki Minaj/One Direction and so on and so on.  There is still a wide variety of music to choose from if people would dig a little deeper. Sure manufactured plastic controls most of the airwaves these days, but there's still something for everybody made these days. And it's easier than ever to dig up as well. 

Or "I'm 12 years old, and I think modern music sucks" (aka "give me a like, please") :P  

That one too. 

And of course the tendency to gather likes by parroting the same joke over and over and over again. Like that SNL cowbell-thing in every song that has a cowbell in it. "This song needs more cowbell", "I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell". Jesus, that joke was old more than a decade  ago. 

I agree with Harvest that Lana del Rey is overrated, way overrated honestly. I checked her complete discography out and only found 3 songs that were worthwhile to download. And I can't stand that whole 'depressive' acting thing that she uses!!!!! Also quite repetitive! 

No matter, 90 % of artists with hundreds of millions of Youtube-views are way overrated, mostly just 'hyped to the rafters'-stuff. Most of those views come from the USA (and other Western countries), where everybody has internet and nothing better to do than like, and especially dislike everything. You don't think that your average Papua in New Guinea knows who the hell Justin Bieber or Beyonce is, do you?

@Magnus

O, that phrase 'don't forget to like me'......:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick: X 25 billion!!!!

15 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

And I can't stand that whole 'depressive' acting thing that she uses!!!!! Also quite repetitive! 

Which brings me to the next pet peeve I have. People who think that "true art" (whatever the hell that means) comes from angst.  That tortured artist-syndrome. Every time someone is happy or excited about something and writes about that, it's declared mindless bull crap. 

I don't care whether she seems depressive or not. I like her music, and she's pretty to look at. Also her hair is very nice.

That's pretty much enough for me :P

I don't tend to care so much about stuff like that; who is overrated, or too much this or that, or has annoying fans etc.

If I come across an artist saying something which crosses some very important value I have, that does alarm me. But otherwise I don't see the need to spend energy getting annoyed by it.

If I like the music, I listen to it.

If I like the look of an artist, I also look at them, like what they say - listen. If I don't - I just don't look beyond the music.

@Eilenna

I know that you quite like her and that's fine with me:giggle:

But, what I seriously don't like is, that someone fakes a depressive character, which can be very influential on teenagers who struggle with life in general during that period of life. Enough proof of that due to that gothic hype. It's 'being depressive' for commercial reasons......that, I don't like!

Also think that WT does 'Summertime sadness' better than her:P:P:P:P

But I like the look of her too! It's a pity that I like a lot of lookers whose music is rather dreadful:whistle:

I 'm not even bothered with YT-comments anymore...I just don't read them. No sense in wasting energy in that! Rather read a good book!

@Harvest

Although I equally appreciate happy and tortured artists, I rather have a preference for happier people. BUT, I think there is a case for THE TORTURED SOULS, that they can extract a special deep, powerful and often unique (maybe you can call it 'crazy') feeling and involve that in art, which CAN make it special, because of it's intensity and rarity. Not that it is needed to make fantastic art however! Monet, Rembrandt, Picasso, Dali were pretty happy chaps I'd say!  

39 minutes ago, hunebedbouwer said:

Although I equally appreciate happy and tortured artists, I rather have a preference for happier people. BUT, I think there is a case for THE TORTURED SOULS, that they can extract a special deep, powerful and often unique (maybe you can call it 'crazy') feeling and involve that in art, which CAN make it special, because of it's intensity and rarity. Not that it is needed to make fantastic art however! Monet, Rembrandt, Picasso, Dali were pretty happy chaps I'd say!  

That's true. But I was referring to acting like a tortured soul, because the audience seem to want that. Some audiences (well, mainly Gothic, but it also happened during the grunge-scene in the 90's and maybe it's always been the case) seem to value this kind of tormented soul thing and other forms of expression are labeled emotionless .Kind of limiting, if you ask me. Then artists gather to that audience.  

@Harvest

Gimme your TOP-5 of acting tortured souls of that era, please. 

Just to feed my angst!!! (in Dutch & German, where it derives from, it stands for fear by the way).:giggle:

22 minutes ago, hunebedbouwer said:

@Harvest

Gimme your TOP-5 of acting tortured souls of that era, please. 

Just to feed my angst!!! (in Dutch & German, where it derives from, it stands for fear by the way).:giggle:

Wouldn't know if the artists were actually acting to be miserable, but I'm talking about the some of the people the genre attracted. Grunge was about dark topics, misery, basically a counter move for 80's spandex and hair gel-rock. 

And all that glamour surrounding Cobain's death in the media. Oh man.....

To be fair, I think a lot of her fans know that "Lana Del Rey" is just a character. While a lot of her music has a sadness to it, she doesn't exactly encourage people to cut their wrists.

But I agree that people tend to dismiss music that's coming from a happy place. Especially in metal. Unless it's power metal, where it's okay to sing about cheerfully about mighty warriors and rainbows. LOL.

On 11.7.2017 at 3:53 PM, Harvest said:

The same with every genre, I guess. There are always people, who think of themselves as true fan of whatever genre. Which basically means that the first EP recorded with a ghettoblaster in some cellar or garage and sold during gigs 25 years ago is still the best work in that genre and  everything since then is of course commercial, pop, generic, a rip-off of that EP and  so on. Then they keep parroting these words all over internet. And of course whining about the lack of individuality in modern music after parroting the same exact sentences over and over again. Talk about the Pot calling the kettle black. 

Being a huge Metallica fan, I've heard thousands of times how "...And Justice For All was the last good album from Metallica".

Someone called it superiority complex,  I would call it snowflake complex, because everybody is trying so hard to be a special little snowflakes, "hey everybody, I don't like the most popular Metallica album, because I'm special".

On 11.7.2017 at 6:05 PM, Harvest said:

That one too. 

And of course the tendency to gather likes by parroting the same joke over and over and over again. Like that SNL cowbell-thing in every song that has a cowbell in it. "This song needs more cowbell", "I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell". Jesus, that joke was old more than a decade  ago. 

Go watch any video where a little kid plays drums and sounds horrible. I bet all my money that you'll find a comment "he's still better that Lars Ulrich."  So original...

Fortunately the "Darude - Sandstorm" thing is in the past, unfortunately the thing now is "what does Corey Taylor think?"

Orion..THAT I hate. Hating on Metallica, just to  come across as Trv and special. Specially people of my generation, that is, Millennials born between 1985-and 1995. Like, you were there when they released Master of Puppets or ...And Justice for all. I have no shame to say that the first Metallica song I heard was Unforgiven II. Because that's what played on MTV back then. And i Liked it. And I'm not ashamed to say that I liked Load and Reload, they have pretty strong tunes. Yeah, they're not thrash metal, but to this day, "Fuel" and "The Memory  Remains" have become live staples. Hell, I even like "I dissappear" and dare to say, Frantic. Yeah, I don't like  everything they put out, they have been quite inconsistent, but they are not mediocre musicians just because they became more "radio friendly", In fact I think they're better musicians than most black metal bands that repeat the same riffs over and over and just shriek because its trv. I do can accept feeling the change if you were part of that generation, if you were present when they changed styles. But at the same time..man, it's been over 20 years, get over it.

On that topic, I find it very irksome when somebody makes one of those "Dear God we will give you Justin Bieber if you give us Dio back" posts. First off, wow so angst, such edge. Second, it's a horrible thing to say. Justin Bieber is a bad person but not because he does not make the type of music we have collectively decided that is "quality" music. People like Dio himself would not have liked these posts either.

Or when somebody makes a cover or remix of a song and everybody is like HE/SHE RUIIIINNEEED IT like no, they did not find all physical and digital copies of that song and burned/deleted them, they made a cover which you can absolutely choose not to listen. I have especially seen a lot of that elitism against Tarja's covers, which can be bad, but in no way hinder my enjoyment of an original song for god's sake.

edit: I LOVE St. Anger, the song. There, I said it. I had even bought the single.

@Magnus

I think you're under-estimating the power and influence of feelings/hormones/hypes/friends and media on especially the teenagers. Goodness me, if you see those hysterical Bieber girls......they're capable of doing any (stupid) thing! And that's just one example. I reckon, that the line between acting and reality has faded a lot more to teenagers in the last 20 years, due to mass- and social media hypes! 

As an artist (please don't quote me on Bieber being an artist!:D), I wouldn't want to be responsible for any mutilations/victims or suicides whatsoever. 

And like Harvest mentioned, those glorified and hyped suicides of musicians like Cobain is just plain stupid and appalling! What's so great about being stupid, addicted and killing yourself? The same with Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Amy Winehouse and God knows how many others. I think, it's just sad, stupid and irresponsible, but also just part of the world we live in.

The most STUPID, RIDICULOUS and DISGUSTING thing I have ever seen on that front, was the case of Andre Hazes, a popular corny singer from the Netherlands. He was addicted to alcohol and food and a real nasty piece of work. Molesting, violating women was one of his streaks. When he died, a certain part of the Dutch acted if someone heroic had died. His funeral service was held in the Amsterdam Arena (50.000 people) and the whole affair was pukingly fake, gross, classless and utterly disgusting, live broadcasted on tv. Then, a few days later, his ashes were fired into the sky from the beach, in 10 rockets to explode above the North Sea. Also live broadcasted!!!!

I haver never ever been SO ashamed of my country fellow men for their behaviour during this whole terrible (words fail me) show! Because that freaking Hazes idiot was so deluded, almost criminal and obsessed with being famous, that he arranged it this way!!!! I have managed to avoid everything concerning this freak show...I think I even went abroad for a while! What has society come to if it accepts this! His music is just awful by the way!

The same with Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley and all these 'greats'! There are not that many classy great artists who behave(d) accordingly!. 

Can we please not reduce suicide to "stupidity" and addiction? Granted, suicide quite often happens because of addiction, but this is just the tip of the iceberg, which tends to be an accumulation of years of abuse, psychological issues, and  substance abuse. Or a combination of these, but it rarely happens because of "stupidity". People do not commit suicide because they want to look edgy or angsty, this is a myth we perpetuate in order to avoid dealing with the hard truth, which is that many people need help, to avoid harming both themselves and others, but they don't get it because angst sells more.

43 minutes ago, DownHill said:

People do not commit suicide because they want to look edgy or angsty, this is a myth we perpetuate in order to avoid dealing with the hard truth, which is that many people need help, to avoid harming both themselves and others, but they don't get it because angst sells more.

Yes, that's true. It's appalling to see how, for example , yellow press treats some of these people. And many people in general public aren't that much better. There comes a time when the paparazzi should turn their cameras off and start acting like humans. Instead they are lurking for any possibility to make headlines. I often listen to this monologue by Craig Ferguson from about 10 years ago when Britney was on her wild bender, btw, wise words from somebody who was a part of this business: