Sign in to follow this  
geoman286

Evergrey

41 posts in this topic

I listened to Evergrey's new song 'King of Errors' and loved the song and video. I'm very interested in knowing what you think are their best records. If you are a huge Evergrey fan, I'd especially like to hear your opinions. Maybe rank their records?

Here are some examples from their album The Inner Circle

and my all time favourite from them:

Also this masterpiece from Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy:

Nienor, I love this band. When I was younger, I loved Queensryche (I still love them) and Evergrey reminds me of them. Evergrey and Queensryche are very different sounding bands, but in the best possible way (their singers). You are very right in calling 'Solitude Within' a masterpiece. I like 'A Touch of Blessing' even more though.

Nienor, I love this band. When I was younger, I loved Queensryche (I still love them) and Evergrey reminds me of them. Evergrey and Queensryche are very different sounding bands, but in the best possible way (their singers).

Yes, parallel between them could be done (not only because you can hear Anarchy -X in the opening riff of King of Errors :P) - both bands don't sound like any other prog band and both are not what I call  "technical freaks" as Dream Theater for example (for the record I love DT)

I think what I'm really enjoying is that Evergrey has great lyrics and a deeper voiced singer. Lots of spiritual meaning to the songs I have heard so far.

I had completely missed that they were back with a new single and album! Loving what I've heard so far!

Wow, I'm impressed with "Hymns for the Broken". Very strong material overall and the ltd. digipack edition includes three piano versions ("Hymns for the Broken" and "Barricades" from the new cd + "These Scars" from their earlier album "Torn"). Those are pure goose bump stuff for me and Tom S. Englund, what a great voice he has :music: . Contender of the album of the year for me so far. 

Probably I'd have never taken a closer look at Evergrey without this forum so thanks for that :good: . Now there is a lot of catching up to do with their whole discography.

Wow, I'm impressed with "Hymns for the Broken". Very strong material overall and the ltd. digipack edition includes three piano versions ("Hymns for the Broken" and "Barricades" from the new cd + "These Scars" from their earlier album "Torn"). Those are pure goose bump stuff for me and Tom S. Englund, what a great voice he has :music: . Contender of the album of the year for me so far. 

Probably I'd have never taken a closer look at Evergrey without this forum so thanks for that :good: . Now there is a lot of catching up to do with their whole discography.

Nienor got me started on this band and I can't stop listening to their songs: King of Errors, Wrong, I'm Sorry, A Touch of Blessing, Blinded, and Broken Wings.

I liked them so much I bought 'In Search of Truth' so I highly recommend that record. Also, I expect to find a way to get 'The Inner Circle' and 'Recreation Day' compact discs. Tom S. Englund's voice sounds great. I realize he might not have great range or technical ability, but I don't care because his voice sounds unique.

Nowadays I rarely get really excited about music and bands that I'm not so familiar with, let alone I'd buy an album on the basis of the first single. However that's what happened for me with Evergrey's 'Hyms For The Broken'. 

I haven't had much time to listen to EG's earlier production other than few YT vids but sounds good so far.

I've listened the new album and yes, they have returned!  :yahoo:   This is one of the best records (if not the best) for the year.

I've listened the new album and yes, they have returned!  :yahoo:   This is one of the best records (if not the best) for the year.

Since I seem to enjoy the bands you post about, your opinion is always good to know. I am liking 'In Search of Truth' very much. I will have to get this new record. :music:

The REVIEW: 

:D  

Deffinatly you won't regret the purchase. For the full review, chek this guy's channel

Only small complaint - not enough Carina Englund (Tom's wife, who usually delivers the female vocals when they needed in Evergrey's records) in the new album

Off toppic: By the way, this guy has done very acurate (and positive) review for ReVamp's Wild Card

The REVIEW: 

:D

Deffinatly you won't regret the purchase. For the full review, chek this guy's channel

Only small complaint - not enough Carina Englund (Tom's wife, who usually delivers the female vocals when they needed in Evergrey's records) in the new album

Off toppic: By the way, this guy has done very acurate (and positive) review for ReVamp's Wild Card

Nowadays I rarely get really excited about music and bands that I'm not so familiar with, let alone I'd buy an album on the basis of the first single. However that's what happened for me with Evergrey's 'Hyms For The Broken'. 

I haven't had much time to listen to EG's earlier production other than few YT vids but sounds good so far.

Nienor,

That review does it for me. He calls it their best work ever. I'm buying!

Twister,

It would seem from this Liveprog review that you have their best work already. He gives it a 10 rating (A+).

^ That review is almost over the top :P . Music is more or less a subjective experience anyway so nothing wrong with that. What I like most about this album is the depth of the music with its lyrics, the overall sound and the fact it's quite melodic. Perhaps one or two more up-tempo songs in the middle would have been nice. 

^ That review is almost over the top :P . Music is more or less a subjective experience anyway so nothing wrong with that. What I like most about this album is the depth of the music with its lyrics, the overall sound and the fact it's quite melodic. Perhaps one or two more up-tempo songs in the middle would have been nice. 

Twister,

The reviewer seems to be a huge Evergrey fan. The full review is over 10 minutes long and very over the top. For him to call 'Hyms for the Broken' their best record is what forced me to purchase it. I can't wait to receive it because I know it will be very good. I just started listening to Evergrey and I've been listening to 'In Search of Truth' almost every day for a week. It's a great album of songs. If it is not their best, I have to know exactly what is their best. For whatever reason, I love this one from 'In Search of Truth'.

Well, not "huge Evergrey fan" but deffinatly huge prog metal fan ;)

Twister, ofcourse the review is "over the top" but considering their not so impressive last albums Hymns for the Broken is a masterpiece. And not that these albums are bad, they are just below the quality Evrgrey has set with their earlier material. Now Hymns...  return that quality ;) 

Well, not "huge Evergrey fan" but deffinatly huge prog metal fan ;)

Twister, ofcourse the review is "over the top" but considering their not so impressive last albums Hymns for the Broken is a masterpiece. And not that these albums are bad, they are just below the quality Evrgrey has set with their earlier material. Now Hymns...  return that quality ;)

Nienor,

Like the reviewer, you know a lot about their previous work. Would you say 'Hymns for the Broken' is their best album of songs?

Hmm, well... not the "best album of songs" but deffinatly one of their most solid ones.

"The best" is very subjective, but for me the "Holy Trinity" of their work is - In Search for Truth, Recreation Day and The Inner Circle. These albums have set the bar very high. Close to them are Solitude Domininace Tragedy and Hymns for the Broken.

Torn, Monday Morning Apocalypse and Glorious Collusion even if not bad albums just lack the inspiration and the melancholy feel (with other words "The Evergrey trademark" :) ) thier other efforts have. 

Haven't listened The Dark Discovery that much. 

Hmm, well... not the "best album of songs" but deffinatly one of their most solid ones.

"The best" is very subjective, but for me the "Holy Trinity" of their work is - In Search for Truth, Recreation Day and The Inner Circle. These albums have set the bar very high. Close to them are Solitude Domininace Tragedy and Hymns for the Broken.

Torn, Monday Morning Apocalypse and Glorious Collusion even if not bad albums just lack the inspiration and the melancholy feel (with other words "The Evergrey trademark" :) ) thier other efforts have. 

Haven't listened The Dark Discovery that much. 

Nienor,

Since I have 'In Search for Truth', I'm going to assume I made a small error in not getting 'Recreation Day' or 'The Inner Circle' before I bought 'Hymns for the Broken'. I still believe I will be happy with my purchase because I enjoy the sound of the band and their vocalist. I think the song 'King of Errors' could be the Prog Metal Song of the Year. :music:

I kind of found Evergrey again because of this topic and new album. Listened to them 10 years ago and then I forgot them. Now I'm slowly starting listen to them again. So far, only listened to Hymns for the Broken. Should listen to all the albums between the newest one and The Inner Circle. Luckily, saw the news that they're coming to Tampere next year and will see them first time in live.

I found that I love this video of Evergrey doing 'Solitude Within'. I hope they come tour the United States for their 'Hymns for the Broken' album.

New video ... And it is for my favourite song form the album  :yahoo:

I like The Grand Collapse also. I think my favourite song is Barricades. BTW, I got 'Recreation Day' and I believe it has to be the best CD I have bought in many years. Thanks for the recommendation. I, for reasons I can't explain, love the song 'Recreation Day'. I find this whole album to be inspiring to my life. I think I'm a better person now because of it. It's great art. :music:

The new Evergrey album is officially done!

Thanks to all involved and right now most definitely a massive thanks to the King of all kings Mr Jacob Hansen! 
We CANNOT WAIT UNTIL YOU CAN SHARE THIS WITH US!

New Evergrey album is done! Woohoo! This year is just becoming better and better. Cant wait!  :yahoo:

The new Evergrey album is officially done!

Thanks to all involved and right now most definitely a massive thanks to the King of all kings Mr Jacob Hansen Hansen Studios! 
We CANNOT WAIT UNTIL YOU CAN SHARE THIS WITH US!

New Evergrey album is done! Woohoo! This year is just becoming better and better. Cant wait!  :yahoo:

So much YES!

:dwarf::yahoo: