Harvest

The Kai Thread

119 posts in this topic

In today's Pohjalainen newspaper Kai confirms he will continue to play drums for Nightwish in 2018 when they return from break.

Is there a way to find this information on Pohjalainen website too?

Actually I took the information from the Finnish section here, not from the newspaper itself. Should've added the word 'apparently' to my original text. I don't have full access to Pohjalainen since I'm not a subscriber. However, this is what Kai apparently said in that interview (direct quote, translated from the Finnish topic):

"The plans for 2018 are already made but let's not get into those just yet. One thing he can reveal though:

- I'll continue to be the drummer for the band in 2018."

Aha so that is why I wasn't able to find it there. Thanks for your translation, very interesting news. 

Those ghost notes on the snare drum on the chorus. Insane.

I honestly pity Jukka. It's completely not fair. He's too good.

This guy would make a lot of big name drummers look bad, including 90% of metal drummers out there (and if you ask me that includes Mike Portnoy, Scott Rockenfield, Jorg Michael and the rest of the "no subtlety whatsoever" crowd)

This guy would make a lot of big name drummers look bad, including 90% of metal drummers out there (and if you ask me that includes Mike Portnoy, Scott Rockenfield, Jorg Michael and the rest of the "no subtlety whatsoever" crowd)

Speaking of subtlety, in case you want a measure of exactly how fantastically good a musician Kai is, here's Terrana playing the same song as a 240bpm polka-metal number... while the orchestra plays something else entirely.

I don't want to hate on Terrana, but this borders on comical.

You're telling me the guy fighting against the titular solo artist about band notoriety is not subtle? Who would have thought :P

I'll be fine with Kai staying permanently tbh. Like, more than fine.

That's not Terrana actually. It's her current drummer i think. Can't remember his name. Either way the drumming was so unnecessary in this arrangement!

Oh Lord, you're absolutely right, I didn't notice the date.

I immediately thought of Terrana because I thought there could be only one drummer on earth thinking that playing thrash metal drums while performing a ballad with an orchestra is a good idea, and Mike gave us plenty of that in the Beauty and the Beat tour.

I am starting to suspect it's... *shivers* her idea.

Again, I don't want to hate, but playing something like that would ordinarily get someone kicked out of a tour by the music director.

Ordinarily when you are playing ballads with an ensemble that has no electric instruments and no guitars you want something more like this (nevermind the piece is a 6/8 piece):

That's modern Tarja for you, people think I'm just hating on her, but she just abandoned all pretense of musicality for sounding edgy.

With EFMB NW was juuust about to do the same, but thankfully I think the tour made them come to their senses, Sleeping Sun is a great proof of that, and I would say that Kai's elegant, non-pounding style was part of that.

But, but...this is METAL! We don't need any of that subtlety-stuff in here! I mean you think we brought the orchestra and choir on stage because of the myriads of melodic and rythmic possibilities that gives us? HELL NO! They're just here to lay down harmonies, they can't do any rythmic stuff, that's the drumer's job! What? OF COURSE he's gonna play the same rythm all the way through! Didn't you learn anything from Manowar's Warriors of the World? :P

On a serious note, I agree about Kai. I normally don't care about drummers much, but the Mexico City performance is just great. Notice how he barely plays anything during the first verse and pulls back after the first chorus. That lets you know that he understands the song and that's the most important thing for a musician, to understand his place in a song. Some musicians are great technically but not musically, and some are great musically but not technically. But the really great ones are both.

EDIT: Marco, Tuomas and Kai literally create more rythmic variety than the whole orchestra, choir and drums in the Tarja performance combined.

Speaking of subtlety, in case you want a measure of exactly how fantastically good a musician Kai is, here's Terrana playing the same song as a 240bpm polka-metal number... while the orchestra plays something else entirely.

I don't want to hate on Terrana, but this borders on comical.

Eh....he really wasn't overplaying it that much.  Maybe playing it a little faster than he should have but eh, I'm imagining it could have been way worse.

But the reason I came in here was to say Kai's never going to answer his questions is he?

I just want to use this opportunity to thank Kai for his incredible performance in Vehicle of Spirit.

The way he uses his clean, pitch perfect technique to give another layer of depth to old songs is just admirable, and makes me incredibly eager to find out how different some songs would sound under him. His beats are precise and thundering but NEVER overwhelming, perfectly timed with the music, and really varied too.

These were the parts I was fanboying out (basically the whole time).

The Ever Dream double bass

Weak Fantasy (His best performance of his "own" songs).

7 Days to the wolves (The fast part sounds more tribal now) 

Sleeping Sun (How does one add drums to a ballad? Ask Kai! Because he plays the whole song beautifully)

The Poet and the Pendulum (simply majestic from start to finish)

Ghost Love Score (The new ending fills)

The thing is, Kai makes songs sound at the same time fuller and more melodic. Simply a maestro of the art of drumming, one we shouldn't lose with the time..

Just thank you, thank you Kai for your dedication to this band and their fans. And.. please don't leave.

Excessive gifs removed. - WhiteRaven

So, there will be a lot of drumcam videos from the Himos' anniversary show coming up early next year. Excited! :D

Happy Birtday Kai ...

and yes, would be great to see you again behind the drumkit in 2018!