Sign in to follow this  
GhostHell

Angra

21 posts in this topic

Angra is a famous Brazilian progressive metal band. They recently released their eighth studio album Secret Garden with the new singer Fabio Lione, best known for also sing in Rhapsody of Fire. I love the band and the new record is pretty awesome! :)

Official website: http://www.angra.net/

I love Angra! I'm looking forward to hearing them perform Holy Land at Progpower 2015 :)

Holy Land is a good example of how much they can mix heavy metal and folk in a single song. I also love Acid Rain, Rebirth and Spread Your Fire! :D

Has anyone heard the new album? What are your opinnions about it? Do you think Fabio was a good choice? I think it is a realy good album, and I wouldn't care if Fabio left RoF to focus on Angra, as the latest RoF album was mediocre at best. Speaking of the title track, when I fearts heard it, I thought it sounded too much like Epica, not just because of Simone, but all the instruments were also there to simulate Epica, that is, until the instrumental break, where it seems the dudes rememebred they were Angra and not Epica, and started doing their own thing, only to return seconds later to try to rip off Epica...

I have listened most of the songs and I think Fabio was a good choice for the band. If he had not been hired, I would like to see Alírio Netto on vocals, a very good Brazilian singer which already have sung a few songs of them. And I don't believe Fabio would leave Rhapsody of Fire.

Regarding the title track, it's really weird that a new singer doesn't sing one of the tracks from his debut album in a band. Moreover, I wonder how they'll play that song live since Simone can't accompany them at every concert.

Have you heard the rumor that Kiko might join Megadeth? I don't know what to make of this piece of information ! hehe :P

I only heard the title track with Simone and thought it's good. I would say that the song is good because Simone sung it but the music didn't ring a bell that much for me.

Funny you mentioned that, I thought it was so strange to give the title track to a guest singer, and I thought the overall sound of that song so weak. I like Simone, but her vocals are very boring in there (my opinion ofc), it's the only song I felt like skipping.
I liked the new album, it's a bit different from what Angra did in the past... I really liked Black Hearted Soul and Newborn Me, I think that Rafael's writting skills are shinning more than ever.

I thought she did great on the song. It's the arrangement of the song, I would say that made her sound boring though. Lol.

I think the better tracks were on the first half and some songs on the last half. I like Black Hearted Soul, Final Light & Crushing Room as of the moment.

I actually STILL preferred the first era, although I also like Mr. Falaschi for his wonderful vocals on Rebirth.

I haven't ever checked Angra's FB or their boards, but could anybody tell me if Angra fans are like Nightwish fans? Are there fans over there who say "Bring Edu back" or even worse "We want André, Angra is nothing without Andre"?

Well, these trolls are everywhere! They always see the wrongs in every band and not the good things and the music, I just choose to ignore these fantards.

I haven't ever checked Angra's FB or their boards, but could anybody tell me if Angra fans are like Nightwish fans? Are there fans over there who say "Bring Edu back" or even worse "We want André, Angra is nothing without Andre"?

Unfortunately they're a bit like that. Not as much as Nightwish, even because Angra is most known only in Brazil than in the rest of the world. But once in a while I read some comments like: "Andre needs to come back" or "Fabio doesn't has Angra's style".

I like and enjoy all the band eras. The beginning with Andre was magical and always when I listen to the first albums, there's that special feeling. Edu's voice was on top when he appeared in the media, but over the years he forced too much his vocal cords in order to reach Andre's high notes. The pressure began to appear massively and the result was the worst possible, his voice will never be the same. However, Rebirth and Temple of Shadows are two of the best Angra albums.

I'm not one of the biggest fans of Fabio (his return to Vision Divine on Michelle Luppi's place was one of the reasons to stop listening them) but in Angra he is awesome.

The new album is one of the unexpected great releases for this year

Highlits for me - Violet Sky, Newborn Me, Storm of Emotions, Crushing Room

Low point - the tittle track... Nothing interesting happens here and Simone's diabetic inducing vocals really don't help.

Yep! Kiko will be joining Megadeth on their next album and tour! Angra posted that they are taking a break yesterday ( I actually thought it was an April's fools joke lol).
Well, it's confusing 'cause they really invested in this album, and Fabio just joined, but on the other hand, it's a Brazillian guitarrist in one of the most traditional trash metal bands in the world, so bittersweet feelings from me hehe!

Source :

http://www.megadeth.com/news/kiko-loureiro-angra-officially-joins-megadeth

I had mixed feelings as well. I kinda liked the last Angra album while I disliked the last Megadeth album. I guess it's for the good of both, especially Megadeth. I felt like they ran out of great moments on the last album compared to its previous ones ("Endgame" and "Thirteen") which I really liked.

I agree with you, the last Megadeth album was a disaster imo. It will certainly be good for Kiko and for Brazilian metal as well, and though I know what a skilled guitar player Kiko is, still I wonder what the hell will come out of this! Kiko has a sort of Satrianish style in his solo music that I'm not sure if fits trash metal, but at the same time Marty Friedman's solo is nothing like Megadeth so maybe we will be very surprised with this combination.

I guess it will. It will also be a good start or a state of refreshment to Mustaine et. al. It's also a good exposure to Angra since most Deth fans will surely check Angra's works to either like or detest it. Lol.

New single!! I'm sure I'll like Ømni more than Secret Garden! (Don't get me wrong, I love that album, it's just a feeling I have).

Andre Matos, the original vocalist, has unfortunately passed away.  "Angels Cry" will probably always be my favorite album by them, though I enjoy everything they've done.  RIP. :(

I lost sight of Angra many years ago but I love their "Holy Land" album, R.i.P. :(