Majestico

Endless Forms Most Beautiful (2015) - Pt. II

2,675 posts in this topic

I have a question about TGSOE

Around 12:25, you'll hear some growlings on the background screaming "Little Lucy of the Afar".

If i'm not wrong, there are two growlings: one that sounds "softer", you know like the one from the YIAEH's chorus, and it's definitely Floor. And there's another one that sounds in a higher pitch, and it's veeeery strange and almost frightening IMO (sounds more prominent in "of the Afar" part)
I wonder if that's algo Floor's growling, because it sounds so weird. If so, I think it's the strangest growling I've ever heard from her since she uses them in ReVamp.

Aminar, I don't do digital. Im a vinyl man first and foremost with a preference for German pressed vinyl. My reason for buying NB Europe vs NB USA was the very different release dates. NB Europe was March 27 and NB USA is April 7. Im going to see Nightwish April 16. Id like to have the record in hand a few days prior to the concert to familiarize myself with some of the new music prior to Showtime!!  I have no problem paying extra if I get what I want, when I want it. Oh and that was 22 EU not $22 USD. LOL

well Soulmirror, I know I said I wasn't going to check anymore but I see you got a shipping notice and so have so many other people so I logged into NB Germany just for the ellofit and low and behold............... notta!! Still says "Sent on".    :cry:  Nothing more. That's it, I give up. I get it when it gets here. I do think Ive learned my lesson though. Im just gonna wait til music is released here in the states. 22 Euro shipping rates are ridiculous just in the hopes of being able to get a record a few days early and then it doesn't happen when I can buy the same record from Amazon USA with a $4 shipping fee. Live and learn ay?

It's cheaper to buy the album twice(once online) than to pay 22 for shipping. Just spoof your location ip to europe and buy it digitally next time.

i bought from NB too, and the shipping is 22 Euro, BUT the price of the digipack is 38 U$, while in a US store is about 55 U$.. so, its not that more expensive, its just the problem that it is not shipping on time...

Aminar, I don't do digital. Im a vinyl man first and foremost with a preference for German pressed vinyl. My reason for buying NB Europe vs NB USA was the very different release dates. NB Europe was March 27 and NB USA is April 7. Im going to see Nightwish April 16. Id like to have the record in hand a few days prior to the concert to familiarize myself with some of the new music prior to Showtime!!  I have no problem paying extra if I get what I want, when I want it. Oh and that was 22 EU not $22 USD. LOL

Fair enough. It's just a cheaper way to stopgap the delay. And digital has its uses. Cars. Jogging. Etc...

mantovan234, I bought the black vinyl at 19,99 euro and I also got the pic disc vinyl for 19,99 euro just because I wanted that pic disc and I never want picture discs. They sound awful so this one will be hung on a wall in my music room.  While I was at it I also ordered I-Rum on black vinyl also so in actuality the 22 euro for shipping all 3 vinyl records which are all doubles really isn't all that bad now that I think about it. It seems that Nuclear Blast has one shipping price no matter what's ordered, be it one record or 3,4,5 records and I suppose one cant complain about that.

mantovan234, I bought the black vinyl at 19,99 euro and I also got the pic disc vinyl for 19,99 euro just because I wanted that pic disc and I never want picture discs. They sound awful so this one will be hung on a wall in my music room.  While I was at it I also ordered I-Rum on black vinyl also so in actuality the 22 euro for shipping all 3 vinyl records which are all doubles really isn't all that bad now that I think about it. It seems that Nuclear Blast has one shipping price no matter what's ordered, be it one record or 3,4,5 records and I suppose one cant complain about that.

i didnt know that, they have an expensive shipping price, but low product prices i can see.

Argh!!! The delay with the Earbook sucks! Why did MS wait till two days before the official release date to tell us.

I caved in and have now ordered a local copy, should have it by Saturday hopefully.

Waiting is the hardest thing ever

Yeah, I am really not impressed with the delay.

I understand the factory has probably been pressing a LOT of albums, and they have a large volume of orders to fill all at the same time, but I've had this album preordered for over a month now, and I paid extra to have it shipped to me on time too. It just seems like poor planning.

Aggggghhhhh.

I'm quite eager to hear if Alpenglow is overhyped or just legitimately hyped. On my anticipation list, which doesn't include The Greatest Show On Earth because I currently think of it as a separate piece of work, it's now second to My Walden. The thing is, I already know that when Nightwish does typical Nightwish it's totally awesome. That's why my greatest anticipation are for the songs where I'm expecting not necessarily innovation, but at least something new (or returning elements from past albums) - Edema Ruh, Our Decades In the Sun and those previously mentioned... The title track is an exception I guess, 'cause it's in third. :P

Now no one say a thing! Don't burst my bubble. :D

This post just reminded me that I created a list where I ranked every song (including Sagan) based on my overall expectation for each song. I did something like this for "Imaginaerum". When I did my pre-release expectation ranking for "Imaginaerum", I had almost no information to base my rankings on. The only thing I could do here was use the names of the songs to determine where to place them on my overall ranking.

For example, "Slow, Love, Slow" was a song that I put near the top of my list prior to listening to "Imaginaerum" because I thought it might be a song that I would really love, but it ended up being one of the worst songs on the album. That was one case where I was way off in my pre-release expectation. But on the other side of things, I had "Scaretale" at the bottom of my list and that turned out to be one of the better songs on the album.

Here is my pre-release expectation ranking for EFMB:

1. Endless Forms Most Beautiful

2. Élan

3. Our Decades In the Sun

4. Shudder Before The Beautiful

5. Sagan

6. Weak Fantasy

7. The Greatest Show On Earth

8. Alpenglow

9. Yours Is An Empty Hope

10. My Walden

11. The Eyes Of Sharbat Gula

12. Edema Ruh

"Edema Ruh" was a song I placed at the bottom of this list as I don't like the name of the song at all, so I'm not expecting anything amazing from this one.

Based on my previous experiences with listening to new albums (whether it's Nightwish or another band), there is a very common trend for which songs I typically fall in love with.

In general, the singles will almost always result in a song that I really love, which is why I have "Élan" near the top of my list.

The opening track of the album is another one that usually results in a song that I love. After all, it's important to have a strong opener to get the listener engaged with the rest of the album. This explains "Shudder Before The Beautiful" being high on my list.

The title track (which is the song that shares the same name as the album itself) usually results in songs that I love. In the case of this album, the title track would be "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" since it shares the same name as the album.

Bonus tracks also typically result in songs that I love, which would explain Sagan being high on my list.

When it comes to the long epic songs, I approach them with extreme caution. I have ultimately gotten into the habit of not expecting the long epic song to be amazing. As a result, I have placed "The Greatest Show On Earth" near the middle of my list.

With that out of the way, I am just 30 hours and 30 minutes away from finally listening to the new album. At 4:30 AM on March 27th (in my timezone), I will begin my EFMB journey.

Well, Nuclear Blast shipped it yesterday, according to an email I've received.
And they sent me a tracking number.

Time to obsessively check the tracking until it arrives...

OOH improvement! Order is being packed! Ready to be send, it states. Maybe it'll arive on time anyway

I think the title track is pretty much underrated, it's a grower material, now I like it more than SBTB

I think the title track is pretty much underrated, it's a grower material, now I like it more than SBTB

It's still firmly in my place as the worst Nightwish song ever recorded. It will never grown on me :(

It's still firmly in my place as the worst Nightwish song ever recorded. It will never grown on me :(
Even with the fantastic lyrics? It's a brilliant bit of wordsmithing. And it has to be better than Lagoon. I'd list AFF in its entirety(minus maybe Tutankhamen), but I know you like that album. Still, that seems unduly harsh to call it Nightwish's worst song.

You really should check out the lyrics and see if they change anything for you. They certainly tied it all together for me when I figured them out.

I agree. Despite a couple of interesting instrumental parts and good vocals in certain places, there is nothing quite as bad as Nymphomaniac Fantasia. 

Agreed. It took a few listens, but it's up there for me. Great song.

While I'm sad about the delay from Mad Supply, I'm very glad they let us know rather than leave us hanging like a lot of other places would! I think I'm going to cave in tomorrow and download the album from iTunes, I've been reading all the reactions on this thread and I'm very excited! I'm expecting the album to be a grower, as I didn't like either Elan or Shudder Before the Beautiful first time I heard them, but now I love them!  :music:

To me the titletrack isn't downright ugly, but it's... useless, you know? Also My Walden is giving me the same impression now, especially listened back to back with Alpenglow. They have pretty much the same vibe but Alpenglow is just so much better. My Walden has more Troy awesomeness but take it away and... idk.
YIAEH wins my "absolute worst" trophy.

So far my favourites are still SBTB, Weak Fantasy, Elan, Alpenglow and TGSOE. Our Decades in the Sun is beautiful but I ain't much in a ballad mood these days, so I'll befriend it a bit later. 

This is a 2CD+DVD version and, as it states in description, there`s a 53-min.-long making-of documentary. 

Hopefully it`s not a clip-by-clip from YT, but the whole documentary as it was with the making-of Imaginaerum.  <_<

$_57.JPG

Do let us know. However, isn't it weird to put the youtube series on there, when it's not even finished on youtube? Kinda misses the point of running it anymore on youtube.

^ great! pls let us know if the documentary offers something different than the youtube clips we already know.

I just heard that the earbook arrrived at my home. That means I will probably not get much sleep tonight.  :)

I can't believe the wait is over.

^ great! pls let us know if the documentary offers something different than the youtube clips we already know.

I just heard that the earbook arrrived at my home. That means I will probably not get much sleep tonight.  :)

I can't believe the wait is over.

Oh, lucky you! :diablo:

I will as soon as I arrive home in Germany :D Unfortunately, even if my orders are going to arrive today (according to the DHL estimated delivery time), I won`t be able to hear ANYTHING until the beginning of April :I  So, all information I get, those would come straight from my brother which is NOT permitted to unpack anything without me hahahah

One line deleted. That was way to open, Soulmirror. ;)   -mojo

@Soulmirror: is this your ordered album? The Japanese version?

No, I found it on ebay, but I ordered it a from CD-Japan and it should arrive today, but unfortunately, as I said before, I won`t be able to check out the documentary until April. Until then I`ll have to catch information from YT    :)