Marius

Beyond the Black

48 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Essexboyinwales said:

and now I'm feeling slightly disappointed that I get Anneke VG in Birmingham!.....

Then get ready for a bigger disappointment because you are not getting Anneke but Ego Kill Talent. :P

Id pick Anneke over Beyond or this other band in a second. 

So I'm here to bitch about stuff :D
So this band suddently BAM came out of nowhere, right ! Apparently it is common knowledge that the main reason it works so well was because their tours and promotions were sponsored by Wacken. So at least that explains it. They somehow came out of nowhere with like 1 song and suddenly 3 months later they're headlining german festivals and playing other big ones ? I don't know, I think they're terrible, they fill pretty much EVERY cliche of the symphonic metal scene. I can't stand that stuff and I'm sad to see that those are the bands that get recognition.

Jennifer Haben (lead singer of this band) liked my #HotHfan post - So happy ;)

Most people laugh at me for liking "Symphonic Metal" anyway; at least, we should respect other fans/bands of that genre... Beyond The Black were lucky to have a very supportive record label pushing them in each and every way possible. The fact that they had opportunities to perform at Wacken doesn't mean that they don't deserve to be there or that there music ain't good enough... of course, some songs are playing by numbers & a bit cliché but it doesn't have to be artsy-fartsy and super deep all the time. They are fun to listen to & I started to like them very much... so excited to finally see them live! - They just had 4 very successful concerts here in Germany to promote their latest release! 

I just got the status of "Top Fan" of Beyond the Black on Facebook :D - That's a bit random but I am quite deliriously happy. 

I can't wait to see them live for the very first time this week. - I am also very interested in getting to know how some "older" songs sound like with the new band. 

P.S.: 
I know it's a "double post" but the last post was made a month ago :D

New single & music video: "Breeze".

It's a powerful and beautiful ballad

Besides, Beyond The Black also announced that they are going on tour next year. 
Tickets will be up for purchase starting next Monday!

11.10.2019 – München, Backstage Werk
12.10.2019 – ZÜRICH, JUGENDKULTURHAUS DYNAMO
13.10.2019 – Wien, Szene
14.10.2019 – Stuttgart, LKA Longhorn
16.10.2019 – Saarbrücken, Garage
18.10.2019 – Berlin, Kesselhaus in der Kulturbrauerei
19.10.2019 – Leipzig, Hellraiser
20.10.2019 – Hamburg, Grosse Freiheit 36
22.10.2019 – Hannover, Capitol
23.10.2019 – Oberhausen, Turbinenhalle Oberhausen
25.10.2019 – Geiselwind, Eventhalle Geiselwind
26.10.2019 – Köln, Live Music Hall
27.10.2019 – Wiesbaden, Kulturzentrum Schlachthof e.V.

I kind of hate it, and the line in the lyrics with magazines I find super annoying (usually I don't care that much about lyrics but in slow ballads it sticks out more). I don't mind their more up beat songs, but I can't seem to get over my distaste for the way the band was "manufactured". I had the same problem with Lana Del Rey, I couldn't listen to her stuff for years. Eventually I got over it with her, maybe if Beyond the Black sticks around long enough it will stop bothering as much with them too. 

13 hours ago, Mainshow said:

It's a powerful and beautiful ballad

Well it's a matter of opinion if it's beautiful (to me this song sounds boring) but I don't really see respectively hear that it's "powerful"....

Personally, I think that this ballad let Jennifer's voice shine and her vocal performance is pretty impressive on this track. Of course, she is no Tarja, Floor or Sharon. Her voice is simply different but still very distinctive and powerful. The song let her voice fully show its strengths and power. - I also love the calmness of the verses VS the "epicness" of the chorus due to the arrangement, the choir and Jennifer's voice - which - in my opinion - creates a very striking contrast, a very powerful effect.
Furthermore, the lyrics are have a wide range of metaphors which also creates a very effective and lively imagery (which I would also call "powerful"). 

Of course, that's just my opinion and opinions are meant to be subjective but I'm really living for the last chorus <3

I received my ticket! <3 Can't wait 

BTB also announced 3 Swedish dates today. It seems that they are really touring Europe as a headliner next year!

11.10.2019 – München, Backstage Werk
12.10.2019 – ZÜRICH, JUGENDKULTURHAUS DYNAMO
13.10.2019 – Wien, Szene
14.10.2019 – Stuttgart, LKA Longhorn
16.10.2019 – Saarbrücken, Garage
18.10.2019 – Berlin, Kesselhaus in der Kulturbrauerei
19.10.2019 – Leipzig, Hellraiser
20.10.2019 – Hamburg, Grosse Freiheit 36
22.10.2019 – Hannover, Capitol
23.10.2019 – Oberhausen, Turbinenhalle Oberhausen
25.10.2019 – Geiselwind, Eventhalle Geiselwind
26.10.2019 – Köln, Live Music Hall
27.10.2019 – Wiesbaden, Kulturzentrum Schlachthof e.V.
05.11.2019 - Stockholm, Fryshuset Klubben
07.11.2019 -  Göteburg, Pustervik
09.11. 2019 - Malmö, KB

Beyond the Black will re-release their latest album "Heart of the Hurricane" by adding 3 new tracks as well as a 2nd disc including "some sort of a best of" [from their first two studio ablums].

I'm not sure whether I should buy it or not since I already got the "Limited Saturn Edition" with 16 tracks and I'm not so keen on the "Best Of" disc. I can totally understand why they would like to offer such a record to new fans, though. It seems that supporting Within Temptation on the Resist Tour last year really did help them gaining new fans (especially around Europe). 

That said, I would totally support such a "Best Of" disc if the songs had been re-recorded by the new bandmates.

The "Black Edition" of "Heart of the Hurricane" will be released on 3rd May, 2019 and it will include 3 new tracks (as I've already mentioned):
- "Spiderweb of Eyes"
- "We Will Find A Way"
- "Still Breathing"

I can't wait to get to know these three new tracks, though! - I'll probably buy them separately on iTunes 

22 hours ago, Mainshow said:

That said, I would totally support such a "Best Of" disc if the songs had been re-recorded by the new bandmates.

According to the tracklist (published on jpc.de, emp.de and saturn.de) there is only the re-recorded "Forget My Name" version on the best of, the other songs seem to be the original versions:

1. In The Shadows
2. Lost In Forever

3. When Angels Fall
4. Beautiful Lies

5. Songs Of Love And Death
6. Hallelujah

7. Love's A Burden

8. Unbroken

9. Written In Blood
10. Night Will Fade

11. Love Me Forever

12. Forget My Name (Re-Recorded)

13. Shine And Shade

I will never understand this kind of re-release policy, I don't care if it's Beyond The Black, Nightwish or any other band, for me this is just a rip-off...

A pity that we just got the original versions. I would have bought the album if they had included re-recorded version of their songs.

That said, I just bought the three songs on iTunes individually. 
Just listening to them right now but in general, I'm not that impressed. The new tracks on Lost In Forever's Tour Edition are excellent and that's why I kind of expected to be blown away again.

Strangely, Beyond The Black just released "Through The Mirror" as a single yesterday (instead of promoting one of the new three tracks xd).
Anyway, I don't want to complain because "Through The Mirror" is a highlight on their latest album.

I'm going to see them live again this week. I can't wait! - It's my third time in total but it's my first headliner shows of theirs.... I read online that they are about to play a new song titled "Misery". I can't wait to hear it... even though the new three tracks taken from the Black Edition of their latest studio album didn't catch my attention as their other material, I think that they're still growing as artists and have so much potential.

Saw them live last week in the completely sold out Hellraiser - really nice show again. Seems to me they are getting bigger all the time. Let's hope they are around for a long time.

On 10/25/2019 at 12:22 PM, Atlan0815 said:

Saw them live last week in the completely sold out Hellraiser - really nice show again. Seems to me they are getting bigger all the time. Let's hope they are around for a long time.

I agree! I just came back home from their sold-out concert in Cologne and it was really a great show. Jennifer's flawless vocals still amaze me. 

I was in front of the B stage and it was such a great experience to see Jennifer and Chris so close. I've met them before (in Warsaw) and was able to take a pic with the whole band but it was so intimate and special to see them perform basically 30 cms away from you. 

I also believe that their fan base keeps on growing. I think that the "new" constellation of the band did cause it in the end. They seem to be more powerful and ambitious. 

I was a it surprised they did play so many tracks from the first two albums instead of focusing on "Heart of the Hurricane" + they did perform a new song titled "Misery" (which sounded very dancy in the verses but very heavy in the chorus.. Dunno if I like it). 

1 hour ago, Mainshow said:

I also believe that their fan base keeps on growing. I think that the "new" constellation of the band did cause it in the end.

Or maybe it's because of Jennifer's participation in the german show "Sing meinen Song"...

13 hours ago, Martin said:

Or maybe it's because of Jennifer's participation in the german show "Sing meinen Song"...

...it might have helped but it's impossible to detect the impact of the show, especially since it's only pop artists competing and Jennifer was the exception to the rule. Maybe fans of Beyond The Black tuned in because Jennifer was competing and not the other way round? 

At yesterday's concert, I saw many people wearing Wacken and other festival shirts. Also people wearing shirts from the "Resist Tour".  I think that performing at many festivales over the year as well as supporting Within Temptation were more effective than being part of "Sing meinen Song". Maybe some started to get interested in BTB or Jennifer but would the general public/pop fans attend a Symphonic Metal concert? It quite helped the album's chart-run, though. - It might have had a minor influence on BTB getting bigger, though, but I strongly believe that other factors were more important (festivals, Wacken, supporting other bands, etc.).

You know what the most satisfying thing for me is? Watching BTB together with a huge crowd. Let me explain:

From the beginning of the Band there is a shit storm going on in against BTB the german Wacken forum. The so called Tru Metal fans absolutely DO NOT like them there...

And then i see them in Wacken live and the crowd and the stages they are performing on are getting bigger and bigger. :-)

Amd then i stay there in a sold out Hellraiser and i think: Let them talk shit, we know better!

I don't know anything about a shit storm going on in the Wacken forum but dunno, it seems to me that it has been caused and spread by childish fans.... When it comes to Magenta live - the (live) broadcast of their Wacken performance this year... it seems that most people in the audience did enjoy them. 

I really think that they are watch-out artists and I'm quite happy that Germany got another powerhouse of Symphonic Metal in its hands!

It started because they were casted in de beginning and didn't grew organically like Metal Bands usually do. I couldn't care less about that, i was and am glad to have another really good Symphonic Metal Band from Germany for once and not from the usual suspects like the Netherlands or Finland. :-)

And yeah, i agree with you, that behavior is childish indeed.

Yeah, Beyond The Black did struggle at the beginning but I think that they've found their place among other Symphonic Metal bands and if you see them live, you can't tell the difference between WT, NW or Epica in terms of harmony. The band members work together as a whole and it feels natural (I can't compare it to performances of BTB 1.0, though).

There's clearly a shift in terms of narrative and perception regarding the band. It has become way more positive now:

Here's an article/review by metalhammer I would like to share which sums it up perfectly:

Auch weiterhin werden Beyond The Black mit absoluter Gewissheit die Gemüter spalten und ja, über Prosieben-Werbung oder TV-Shows darf natürlich diskutiert werden. Das alles ändert aber nichts daran, dass die Gruppe in den letzten Jahren einen deutlichen Wandel vollzogen hat. Von irgendwas mit „Casting-Produkt“ oder „Jennifer Haben mit Band“ hin zu einer Einheit, der man das, was sie mit ihrer Musik und ihrem Auftreten liefern, wirklich abkauft. Wenn so kommende Generationen für den Metal rekrutiert werden, kann daran nichts falsch sein. Weiter so!

https://www.metal-hammer.de/im-pit-bei-beyond-the-black-mister-misery-1312905/

3 hours ago, Mainshow said:

Yeah, Beyond The Black did struggle at the beginning but I think that they've found their place among other Symphonic Metal bands and if you see them live, you can't tell the difference between WT, NW or Epica in terms of harmony. The band members work together as a whole and it feels natural (I can't compare it to performances of BTB 1.0, though).

There's clearly a shift in terms of narrative and perception regarding the band. It has become way more positive now:

Here's an article/review by metalhammer I would like to share which sums it up perfectly:

Well, i can compare with BTB 1.0 and the only difference i can really hear is, that the grunts sounded a bit better with the first singer/shouter. But that's nitpicking and doesn't do them justice. Fact is, they deliver, they seem to have fun - what more could you want.

Unfortunately, Beyond the Black had to cancel their concert in Paris due to Jennifer being sick. 

Apparently, she has already struggled with her health in the last two days and needs some rest. 

After taking a look at the tour dates, I've wondered if something like this will happen. They basically have almost no days in between to rest a bit. Such a tour schedule must be incredibly exhausting. I hope she will recover and feel better soon!