Carol

Nightwish Off Topic

2,076 posts in this topic

^Finnish words with the suffix '-lainen' mean a place of living or origin or a nationality; '-(a)inen' often societal groups or statuses; '-nen' characteristics, or '-nen' just added to end to make it a surname without any meaning.

Holopainen has no meaning in Finnish. I googled, though, and found out that Holopainen derives from a Slavic word that means a slave: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kholop

There was no serfdom in the Swedish Empire (which Finland was part of), so the name must refer to a serf immigrated from the East.

Hietala. Often in Finnish, the '-la' ending attached to a root word makes it a place. So you can say Hietala is a sandy place. The information on the video is not totally correct, though. Swedish place names often end with 'by'. If we take that route, Marco's last name becomes Sandby in Swedish which means Sanddorf in German.

Vuori is Berg in German. The suffix '-nen' is probably just added to the end. Berger would be Vuorelainen. So, I guess we can't go on any further than say it's Erno Berg, unless there are some meaningless suffixes in German names, too.

Nevalainen most probably refers to a person that has moved from the area of the Neva River, as said in the video.

EDIT:
It just occurred to me that the best German translation for Hietala could be Sandhof.

Edited by whitenoise

What an idea for a video. I'm dying of laughter here. "Nachtwunsch" could also be a name for some kind of gothic band apart from his suggestions. The translation he had for Tuomas' surname almost made fell off my chair laughing, it sounds so wrong in my ears. But Jansen is also a common surname in Germany. At least in the area in Germany I'm living in. "Dunkles Spiel der Leidenschaft" sounds like a very bad erotic love story.

Oh, yeah. Great. The English translation of We Were Here is finally coming in November and pre-orders are up now. I held off the whole first half of the year buying Stainless? so I could get both books at the same time, but you just had to wait until two weeks after I gave in and got it anyway. Awesome. No, it's fine. I love paying for shipping.

:rolleyes:

Here's a link to the announcement on Facebook. I don't know how to do those fancy embedded posts that are actually readable.

That is something I totally forgot about. Same for the other book. Although I would like to read both. I guess I should add them to my personal xmas wish list.

You learn something new everyday. Here's an old Scottish folk tune:

Kind of makes his reluctance to grant Nightwish the rights to release their cover come across as even more petty than it already did. This is easily at least 50% of the song's melody right here, and Tuomas also added quite a bit of melody that's not in either of the other versions.

Kind of sad that Nyman gets all the credit for the music, while Tuomas only gets credit for the lyrics as per the official release.

2 hours ago, Magnus said:

You learn something new everyday. Here's an old Scottish folk tune:

Kind of makes his reluctance to grant Nightwish the rights to release their cover come across as even more petty than it already did. This is easily at least 50% of the song's melody right here, and Tuomas also added quite a bit of melody that's not in either of the other versions.

Kind of sad that Nyman gets all the credit for the music, while Tuomas only gets credit for the lyrics as per the official release.

Nice catch :). I am always excited when I find something stolen.

What the ... That's straight plagiarism. Nyman did nothing.

BTW I find the NW cover the best single song of the Anette era. Sadly the mix is noisy trash, hope it gets the Decades remaster treatment one day.

8 hours ago, Ahasverus said:

What the ... That's straight plagiarism. Nyman did nothing.

The liner notes in the soundtrack booklet do mention that he used "Scottish folk and popular songs as the basis of the music", but doesn't mention anything specific. Other than this brief mention, all of the songs on this soundtrack are credited solely to Nyman and he gets 100% of the royalties. I have no idea how much he lifted for the other compositions, but it's pretty clear than the main melody of The Heart Asks Pleasure first is not something he can take credit for.

Still, he did write some additional transitions. Tuomas also wrote new melody, but seemingly gets no credit for it. Quite unfair. For me, the Nightwish cover feels like an adaptation of the traditional piece that's clearly influenced by Nyman's take on it. But giving Nyman the sole credit for the instrumental portion is downright ridiculous.

Kind of makes me wish Tuomas had removed all the references to Nyman's take crediting only himself and the folk tune, and released the song soon after Nyman had said no just to rub it in his face.

I don't think this practice is that unusual - generally speaking traditional folk tunes aren't copyrighted (and they'd be long out of copyright anyway) - a lot of folk/ crossover bands use elements or whole melodies from these songs incorporated into their own work (Eluveitie springs to mind as an example, but there's plenty of others). In terms of where it is credited to, sometimes I've seen it credited as "Music: Traditional, arrangements by *insert artist name*", or "Music: Traditional + *insert songwriters*", but I haven't often seen specific songs credited (though sometimes it is obvious as they are straightforward covers with the same name). So I'm not sure what Nyman did regarding musical credits is that unusual/dodgy.

You could certainly argue that his blocking Nightwish's release when his own piece is based on a traditional song no longer in copyright is bad form. I think maybe part of the problem is that Nightwish presented the song (both in pre-release descriptions and when it was eventually released) as a cover of the Michael Nyman theme from The Piano. Possibly (probably?) they weren't aware of the traditional song or didn't go looking for it to find the similarities. But yeah, if they had presented it as a reworking of a traditional Scottish tune with new lyrics then there's probably nothing Nyman could have done to stop the release. I think if Tuomas had done what you suggested and re-branded and released the song after Nyman had already said no there might have ended up being some legal trouble? Like, if he initially held this song up as a Michael Nyman cover, and asked him for permission, and then when he was refused released the song (with no changes) and said "Oh, actually this isn't a MN song at all" - I don't know how copyright law would work in that respect, and there's certainly a compelling case to make that if the themes were taken from a traditional tune then he didn't need Nyman's permission. But I also think that legal types could probably have made a compelling case out of the fact that HE acknowledged the song as a Nyman cover in the first place and then chose to remove that credit when it became inconvenient.

Still, this is all pretty academic, at the end of the day NW got to release their version of the song in the end.

But that's not necessarily what I suggested. I specifically said he could have removed all of the references to the changes made to the original folk tune by Nyman. Then there would have been nothing Nyman could have done.

2 hours ago, Himiko said:

Still, this is all pretty academic, at the end of the day NW got to release their version of the song in the end.

But it took them 6 years! I remember that we got the news that they covered a song back in 06, when they posted journals of the recording sessions of DPP. And it was after Imaginaerum had been released that they got permission to release it. 

Sorry to interrupt, super random question here.

Do you know which specific kind of owl is the one featured in most of the NW artworks?

I've been asked by a friend of mine, but I have no clue. I guess he wants a tattoo or something.

6 hours ago, Magnus said:

But that's not necessarily what I suggested. I specifically said he could have removed all of the references to the changes made to the original folk tune by Nyman. Then there would have been nothing Nyman could have done.

Ah, that makes sense, sorry, for some reason my brain read your post as removing references to Nyman in the title/ credits/ promotional material, my bad. Yeah, if they'd taken out the bits specifically added by Nyman (and possibly rebranded slightly) then yeah, that would probably have worked.

1 hour ago, Damian said:

Sorry to interrupt, super random question here.

Do you know which specific kind of owl is the one featured in most of the NW artworks?

I've been asked by a friend of mine, but I have no clue. I guess he wants a tattoo or something.

Is there a particular artwork that he has in mind? For example, I think that the owl on the Oceanborn cover is a different type to the stylised owl on Made in Hong Kong. My best guess (and my knowledge of owls is admittedly pretty limited so you should probably check this before confirming to your friend) is that the owl on MiHK is some kind of Eagle Owl. With Oceanborn I'm not 100% sure - my first guess was some sort of barn owl, but the eyes don't really match. The lyrics of DatDDO refer to a "Snowy Owl above the haunted waters", and after consulting Google, the snowy owl would probably fit. My only hesitance is that the top of it's head looks a bit yellowish, whereas the snowy owl is white with black markings, but that could just be intended as a lighting effect. Pretty sure the snowy owl is also the one used in the Elan video. The alternate Oceanborn cover is definitely not a snowy owl - maybe also an eagle owl?

From the band's website:

“The long awaited NIGHTWISH music video, “Élan” is finally here. Inspired by the untold stories of abandoned places around Finland, the video was nearly a year in the making and features some of the most loved Finnish actors and actresses. And also the legendary NIGHTWISH symbol, a snowy owl (Bubo Scandiaca in Latin) called “Urho” (“Braveheart”).”

Urho is a snowy owl from Ähtäri Zoo.

Best reaction ever!

Reaction starts at around 9:20. Before that he gives his wife a brief history of the band. The last time he listened to them was Dark Passion Play. He learned to appreciate Anette's voice on the album, but like with so many other fans he probably felt like it just wasn't the same any more so he's been out of the loop since. He had no idea that Anette had been replaced by Floor until someone suggested this video, and it's his first time listening to Floor as well.

This truly makes you appreciate what impact music can have on people!

5 hours ago, Magnus said:

Best reaction ever!

Reaction starts at around 9:20. Before that he gives his wife a brief history of the band. The last time he listened to them was Dark Passion Play. He learned to appreciate Anette's voice on the album, but like with so many other fans he probably felt like it just wasn't the same any more so he's been out of the loop since. He had no idea that Anette had been replaced by Floor until someone suggested this video, and it's his first time listening to Floor as well.

That’s awesome! I get tired of watching reaction videos but I watched like a million reaction videos forGLS. 

(When she started crying in the first verse I was like “is she going to die in the finale?” 😛)

I think i started tearing-up by the end of this one. I just love some of these reactions to GLS. And in this case, seeing it or hearing it for the first time ever with Floor is a good choice. One reason so many of us love this band is because of an emotional connection we form with the music. And it's beautiful to watch others who are not huge fans, or maybe never listened to them at all, also form these instant bonds to the music. While at the same time having this "where have I been?" reaction to the music. It's almost gratifying in a way like "yes, welcome to the club," haha.

Although I wish they would react to the Buenos Aires one instead. That one is my personal favorite.

Just came across this one. It's not bad either :rofl:.

20 hours ago, Magnus said:

Best reaction ever!

Loved, loved, LOVED this reaction! :D

If she cried like that to GLS, I wonder what would happen to her after listening Dead Boy's Poem, Higher Than Hopes, Our Decades In The Sun or Boy and The Ghost

This is really an amazing reaction video!

And I just discovered this treasure! I mean I watched the Wembley show, but somehow never got my hands on the Tampere one, so yesterday I did and it freaking blew my mind! It's not even my favourite song, I mean what the hell... Vehicle of Spirit is really becoming my fave DVD... Damn, Marco is magnificent... <3

I wasnt sure where to post it, so i will just ask here: are any NW albums available in higher audio quality - 96kHz/24bit for example.  Basically beyond CD quality.  Decades and EFMB are in 44.1kHz/24bit at HDtracks, but are there other releases? Thanks