Carol

Nightwish Off Topic

2,048 posts in this topic

There are DVD-Audio releases for Dark Passion Play and Once both with 48kHz/24bit (the former is rather hard to obtain, though), otherwise every Live DVD-release since Showtime, Storytime has a PCM with 48kHz/24bit.

>I know, that was not the question but I should stress that anything above the standard of 44.1kHz/16bit is nowhere near audible; technically, humans can hear up to about 20kHz, normally anything above 17/18kHz is practically already inaudible and most equipement isn’t fit to actually play these high frequencies anyway.

>Same goes for the bit-depth; there is no way (and I want to stress this even more), that anyone could honestly tell the difference between 16bit and 24bit. 16bit just means 2^16 or about 65,500 possibile spaces to technically store a particular point on within the borders of the maximum amplitude range. 2^24 is indeed a lot more precise with close to 17 million possible places, but large numbers do not always translate into a real effect for humans. Besides, through all the limiting, compressing and equalizing  (which are essential parts of the mastering), the original signal is distorted anyway.

I think it was also confirmed on this forum that an Imaginaerum DVD-A release was prepared but shelved?

I have a question that's been on my head for awhile. In the Nightwish wiki page, they talk about a backing vocalist named Mariana who toured with them early on. What ever happened to her? Always thought it was a cool fact that there was another female vocalist who toured with them, even if it was only backing vocals.

24 minutes ago, River Wild said:

I have a question that's been on my head for awhile. In the Nightwish wiki page, they talk about a backing vocalist named Mariana who toured with them early on. What ever happened to her? Always thought it was a cool fact that there was another female vocalist who toured with them, even if it was only backing vocals.

Marianna Pellinen was a cantor friend of Tarja. I think she helped out as a favour and to support Tarja. She stopped some time after 1998 and it could be because they started doing more extensive touring and she perhaps wasn't willing to/able to do that. As Tarja got more used to touring, she might not have needed as much moral support either. 

I think she is in these videos: 

She's also been backing Tarja in "Sleepwalker" at the Eurovision contest, is that right?

7 hours ago, Nocturnal Queen said:

Marianna Pellinen was a cantor friend of Tarja. I think she helped out as a favour and to support Tarja. She stopped some time after 1998 and it could be because they started doing more extensive touring and she perhaps wasn't willing to/able to do that. As Tarja got more used to touring, she might not have needed as much moral support either. 

I think she is in these videos: 

Wow, I've never seen those videos! 

As for the backing vocals, I recommend they use the Brazilian dude singing to the instrumental parts and then screaming randomly. 

12 hours ago, Baki said:

Wow, I've never seen those videos! 

They're from the chart show Lista and were filmed January 21, 1999. Oceanborn had been released the month before. It was their first televised gig. In the Once Upon A Nightwish book, the event is described like this: "The band concentrated on playing, not performing: Tuomas stared at his keyboards the whole time, new bass player Sami Vänskä never moved from his spot, and Emppu's choreography consisted of a few small sidesteps. The backup singer Marianna Pellinen appeared with the band as well. The most relaxed looking person on TV was Tarja, though her look was a little off once again. Her weather-beaten hair and overabundance of mascara stole the attention from the otherwise satisfactory makeup." 

It is also mentioned that the Finnish punk band Klamydia had been on right before them. The singer of the band, Vesku Jokinen, told them to 'break a leg' and then farted. 

But I could hardly hear, and could not see at all the backing vocalist in those two TV videos. 

11 hours ago, Baki said:

But I could hardly hear, and could not see at all the backing vocalist in those two TV videos. 

Same here!!!ç

13 hours ago, Baki said:

She is blonde and standing with a microphone stand in the back. Check the background around 0:42-0:43 in the Gethsemane video. 

10 hours ago, Nocturnal Queen said:

She is blonde and standing with a microphone stand in the back. Check the background around 0:42-0:43 in the Gethsemane video. 

Wow, they really made her "backing" vocalist. 

Quite unexpected, but I certainly appreciate a re-release of that classic. End of an Era is definitely my favourite live album of Nightwish and one of my favourite concerts in general. What makes me curious is that it's not a 10 or 15 year anniversary of the DVD, and the release date coincides near the end of the Decades tour. Perhaps there are some surprises reserved for Hartwall Areena this year?

8 hours ago, GhostHell said:

Quite unexpected, but I certainly appreciate a re-release of that classic. End of an Era is definitely my favourite live album of Nightwish and one of my favourite concerts in general. What makes me curious is that it's not a 10 or 15 year anniversary of the DVD, and the release date coincides near the end of the Decades tour. Perhaps there are some surprises reserved for Hartwall Areena this year?

If they bring Tarja back for a show and don’t announce it beforehands, ima kill every last one of them! :P

18 hours ago, Imagineer said:

If they bring Tarja back for a show and don’t announce it beforehands, ima kill every last one of them! :P

Not a fan of Tarja's vocals nowadays. I attended a show of her a year ago and thought that her vocals didn't fit Nightwish songs anymore.

3 hours ago, Nightwalker said:

Not a fun of Tarja's vocals nowadays. I attended a show of her a year ago and thought that her vocals didn't fit Nightwish songs anymore.

I don’t disagree. And I don’t want Tarja back for good. But if they do a special reunion show, take my money, I’m there!

29 minutes ago, Imagineer said:

I don’t disagree. And I don’t want Tarja back for good. But if they do a special reunion show, take my money, I’m there!

Despite what I said I agree with you regarding a reunion show. It would be an exciting moment for every Nightwish fan. Only to see them happy together again on the same stage (like Marco and Tarja at the Raskasta Joulua shows).

The reunion show needs to happen for all that's good in the world, as much as she sounds awful these days, it's a personal thing.

Also what if she gets some muscular memory thing or sometime going on and sings good again that one time.

Pff... nope please, I am so tired of this Tarja thing. If they want to meet privately I think it would be good but a concert would only end in more comparisons and whining to infinity.

Well comparisons and whining have never stopped. I wouldn’t cancel a special show like that just because of the stupidity of Internet trolls. 

5 hours ago, L_Alpenglow said:

I am so tired of this Tarja thing. If they want to meet privately I think it would be good but a concert would only end in more comparisons and whining to infinity.

28 minutes ago, Imagineer said:

Well comparisons and whining have never stopped. I wouldn’t cancel a special show like that just because of the stupidity of Internet trolls. 

Both of you are right! I, personally, would love the reunion show!!

Instead of a reunion show, I would much prefer the live-streamed paintball match between Tarja/Anette/Marcelo team and NW team. Now that would be a great way to bury the war axes. 

I usually stay away from online discussions about this matter (mental hygiene, for me and for others, nothing more... :P), but I will make an exception now, because anniversary tours don't happen every other day, and it's been a long time since I expressed my views on this.

• About a reunion-show:  

When I thought about the fact that 1.Tarja and Floor get along well AND 2. that she sang with Marco last year AND 3. that an anniversary tour was coming up AND 4. that she sometimes was in contact with Tuomas, a part of me thought that maybe, maybe, maybe!!! this could be the moment for a special show! But another part of me thought that, stay chill... both Tuomas and Tarja seem to be pretty stubborn and proud, with bridges burned*, and that the chance for it to happen is... well, possible, but on the edge of a miracle. (But I would have said the same about her and Marco working together around a year ago, so who knows!) Another buoyant part of me still naively believes that it can take place in the near future, but realistically speaking, if not very soon, then on the next anniversary tour/show, if there will be one, the chances are even bigger. I would LOVE it to happen. I don't think it would cause much of a debate. Yeah, comments about who is better and who people prefer would be flaming for a week or two (they never entirely ceased existing anyway), but in the long term I think it would dissolve the remaining tension in the fandom (and probably between themselves too). It would be an awesome thing to happen, and pretty much a historical moment in metal music. 

• About Tarja going back to Nightwish:

I don't think that will ever happen. Let's be real, reasons mentioned above*, plus she wanted to leave anyway, sooner or later, and something was obviously not working between them on personal levels, unfortunately. And besides that, I do see why people would say that the combination wouldn't really work anymore. Yeah, both Nightwish and Tarja have changed and it is difficult to theoretically merge them now. But had they stayed together, they would have changed together, and they would be different, yet still Nightwish. Just like how the band itself is a lot different from what it used to be, in that case that version of them would be the thing. The band has gone through many radical changes, and if they survived their time with Anette (I hope I am not crossing a line here, but seriously, this is how I see it), then I am pretty convinced that the present-Nightwish and present-Tarja combo could make it work. Of course people would still have their preferences and strong opinions, and to a certain extent that's natural, tastes will always differ, people are people. But would I want them to be a band again, hypothetically? Oh yes! In a selfish way, because apparently both parties are happier without each other, and I am glad that they are both still around making music I enjoy, and it would feel a bit weird too, it's actually full of mixed feelings, but I could not not love it. Because they, together, were my favourite band, and nothing has topped that since, not even they themselves come close to it, regardless that I like them with Floor, or that they still sell out arenas, it's not the same. So yes, I would love it. Whether it would in fact work or not, is another thing. But it will not happen, so what am I talking about? Back to reality. :P

If a reunion-show will take place, they can definitely count on me!