Carol

Nightwish Off Topic

2,076 posts in this topic

Found this gem while perusing Formula 1 sites.... Tuomas on guitar and Jukka on piano....and some Metallica too...

If there were a brief reunion for a concert, I'm unsure if it would be at Hartwall Areena. It's not exactly a neutral place for them considering that was where they had their last concert together and where they gave her the bye bye letter.

15 hours ago, Sophia said:

I usually stay away from online discussions about this matter (mental hygiene, for me and for others, nothing more... :P), but I will make an exception now, because anniversary tours don't happen every other day, and it's been a long time since I expressed my views on this.

• About a reunion-show:  

When I thought about the fact that 1.Tarja and Floor get along well AND 2. that she sang with Marco last year AND 3. that an anniversary tour was coming up AND 4. that she sometimes was in contact with Tuomas, a part of me thought that maybe, maybe, maybe!!! this could be the moment for a special show! But another part of me thought that, stay chill... both Tuomas and Tarja seem to be pretty stubborn and proud, with bridges burned*, and that the chance for it to happen is... well, possible, but on the edge of a miracle. (But I would have said the same about her and Marco working together around a year ago, so who knows!) Another buoyant part of me still naively believes that it can take place in the near future, but realistically speaking, if not very soon, then on the next anniversary tour/show, if there will be one, the chances are even bigger. I would LOVE it to happen. I don't think it would cause much of a debate. Yeah, comments about who is better and who people prefer would be flaming for a week or two (they never entirely ceased existing anyway), but in the long term I think it would dissolve the remaining tension in the fandom (and probably between themselves too). It would be an awesome thing to happen, and pretty much a historical moment in metal music. 

• About Tarja going back to Nightwish:

I don't think that will ever happen. Let's be real, reasons mentioned above*, plus she wanted to leave anyway, sooner or later, and something was obviously not working between them on personal levels, unfortunately. And besides that, I do see why people would say that the combination wouldn't really work anymore. Yeah, both Nightwish and Tarja have changed and it is difficult to theoretically merge them now. But had they stayed together, they would have changed together, and they would be different, yet still Nightwish. Just like how the band itself is a lot different from what it used to be, in that case that version of them would be the thing. The band has gone through many radical changes, and if they survived their time with Anette (I hope I am not crossing a line here, but seriously, this is how I see it), then I am pretty convinced that the present-Nightwish and present-Tarja combo could make it work. Of course people would still have their preferences and strong opinions, and to a certain extent that's natural, tastes will always differ, people are people. But would I want them to be a band again, hypothetically? Oh yes! In a selfish way, because apparently both parties are happier without each other, and I am glad that they are both still around making music I enjoy, and it would feel a bit weird too, it's actually full of mixed feelings, but I could not not love it. Because they, together, were my favourite band, and nothing has topped that since, not even they themselves come close to it, regardless that I like them with Floor, or that they still sell out arenas, it's not the same. So yes, I would love it. Whether it would in fact work or not, is another thing. But it will not happen, so what am I talking about? Back to reality. :P

If a reunion-show will take place, they can definitely count on me!

It would warm my heart to see Tarja and Tuomas make amends and do that one-off reunion show with Floor. It would be a great symbol of inner strength and relief to the fans, there are few things more beautiful than forgiveness. To what depth that would be is uncertain for sure, but all people have that capacity no doubt. This tour would be the best time to do this if any and would bring some serious musical wonder and magic. I would call it A Return of an Era to be corny.

If there is anything that would show some teamwork on Tuomas and Tarja's part, it would be incredible to see them sing at least on Angels Fall First era duet. I don't care how awful Tuomas thinks his voice is, its live and for fun.

- - -

That video of the lads the post above was a gem indeed. It made my day for sure, great find!

4 hours ago, Nocturnal Queen said:

f there were a brief reunion for a concert, I'm unsure if it would be at Hartwall Areena. It's not exactly a neutral place for them considering that was where they had their last concert together and where they gave her the bye bye letter

Agree on that! So why not Tampere then? It was where FWTE was recorded!

(Anyway, all of this is wishful thinking) :)

Just put yourselves in Tarja's shoes. 

Would you ammend things with the guy who composed AND published a song insulting your husband? I think that goes waaaay beyond. You can say whatever, but Master Passion Greed is still there. You can tell many examples, you can tell me about Iron Maiden or Guns N' Roses, but neither Steve Harris, nor Axl Rose wrote a song insulting not only their former band memebers but their families. Yeah, Tarja reunited with Marco, but even if Marco sung on MPG, he DID NOT compose it.

Perhaps it's just me, but it would be quite hypocritical to me, all things considered. 

1 minute ago, Symphoniker said:

Would you ammend things with the guy who composed AND published a song insulting your husband? I think that goes waaaay beyond. You can say whatever, but Master Passion Greed is still there. You can tell many examples, you can tell me about Iron Maiden or Guns N' Roses, but neither Steve Harris, nor Axl Rose wrote a song insulting not only their former band memebers but their families. Yeah, Tarja reunited with Marco, but even if Marco sung on MPG, he DID NOT compose it.

Perhaps it's just me, but it would be quite hypocritical to me, all things considered. 

You're right, that's why I said

13 minutes ago, Serena said:

(Anyway, all of this is wishful thinking)

1 hour ago, Symphoniker said:

I could see her joining them for one song or two and then move on. I don't however see her joining permanently or for another tour or going out of her way to make a reunion concert happen. If she were to show up for one show it would probably be if she was already there anyways. She could make sure that the interaction with Tuomas was minimal if any at all if she wanted to. 

Sometimes it feels like after Floor joined the world just collectively forgot about Anette.

I would feel so bad for Anette if they did a reunion concert without her. I can see her sitting on Youtube watching it like

image.png.6d57834216167ae771e832353caca855.png

9 minutes ago, Magnus said:

Sometimes it feels like after Floor joined the world just collectively forgot about Anette.

Well, she deserves it, you know? Still, my opinion remains the same. Perhaps I think it wouldn't be as hypocritical with Anette, because they did not fire her (both sides severed relationships) and the only one who insulted the other side was Anette, but nothing as big as composing a song about them...or did she? Is any of the song on her solo album/The Dark Element about NW? Pure speculation.

59 minutes ago, Magnus said:

Both Tarja and Floor have such strong personality, stage presence and charisma that makes Anette pale in comparision to them both!

I'm not a fan of Floor, but when she joined I thought "It's a great choice"

12 hours ago, Magnus said:

Right? I mean, her vocals were on one of the best NW albums (I really have to restrain myself from CAPSLOCKING THE EFF out of it). Floor sings the old stuff beautifully, I love her for it, but iRum, sorry Floor, but it's all Anette. Floor's vocals on iRum songs do nothing for me.

I just hope Tuomas gives Floor awesome stuff to sing on the next album, 'cause wasting her voice on something like EFMB is like ... like ... using Time-Turner to go to extra classes when you could use it to save Sirius Black and Buckbeak and to capture Peter Pettigrew...

Actually the more I think about it, the more I realize I almost don't miss Tarja. I mean, yeah she's great and I love her, but sometimes she's just way too operatic for me. Whenever she steps away from her operatic way of singing (at least in NW) she just shines so much brighter. That's why Sleeping Sun'05 is one of the most beautiful pieces of music and the original version of the very same song is a bunch of unicorn turds. That's why I still don't get it why Feel For You is so incredibly underrated. Because she should sing like that 90% of the time and not the other way around.

2 hours ago, Magnus said:

That is true, but Tarja has made small steps towards reconciliation by working with Marco and at least having a professional correspondence with Tuomas and she isn't trash talking the band in interviews anymore. It has also been 13 years since Tarja was dumped while it's "only" been 6 since Anette left. The band probably has more hard feelings towards Anette nowadays than towards Tarja. Anette also seems a lot less interested in live shows in general than Tarja is. It would be nice to have a show with all three singers  but I actually think it's more likely to happen with Tarja than with Anette. I could be wrong though and Anette shows up and Tarja is like "Nah". 

Well, for me the Anette-era is easily forgettable, even though I saw them live for the first time during those years...

When I got used to the radical change in vocals, I had to deal with the fact that I really didn't like her live. I went to see them anyway, because I still liked the music. Then when I heard/saw Storytime I literally had a wtf reaction. That definitely wasn't what I wanted to hear from Nighwish. That is my least favourite Nw album. It's not like I hate it, it has some nice songs like SOM, or even LROTD, which I enjoyed a lot, and I really liked Turn Loose The Mermaids, Anette sounded great on that one, but I don't like the whole childish theme and sound of it.

Then Floor appeared in the picture and I was like wow, this could be good. And I liked EFMB, but indeed, Floor has had much better vocal moments in the past and in live shows than on the album. And putting aside the fact that I was positive about the album because they once again had vocals which I liked, the album actually sounds pretty average... except for Shudder and The Toolmaker part of TGSOE, those are really awesome.

I guess I've  kind of been over Nightwish for some time already, to be honest... I just follow them because I did it for many years, and a big part of their discography is still my all-time favourite music, so I care...

2 hours ago, Somebody's Lass said:

That's why it still don't get it why Feel For You is so incredibly underrated. Because she should sing like that 90% of the time and not the other way around.

Oh yes, Feel For You... I remember, back when I got into Nightwish, that and Dead To The World and Away were songs I listened to a lot. Good times... I loved how Tarja sang on those songs very much, and I also wish she'd sing more like that. But I like her operatic vocals too, so no complaints here.

10 hours ago, Spirit of Whiterun said:

It would warm my heart to see Tarja and Tuomas make amends and do that one-off reunion show with Floor. It would be a great symbol of inner strength and relief to the fans, there are few things more beautiful than forgiveness. To what depth that would be is uncertain for sure, but all people have that capacity no doubt. This tour would be the best time to do this if any and would bring some serious musical wonder and magic. I would call it A Return of an Era to be corny.

If there is anything that would show some teamwork on Tuomas and Tarja's part, it would be incredible to see them sing at least on Angels Fall First era duet. I don't care how awful Tuomas thinks his voice is, its live and for fun.

That sentimental part of a reunion is something I also wish for!

But the singing could be too much, haha. Tuomas said he doesn't want to ever sing again, if he'd sing with Tarja it would look very... telling. Like... "Okay, I really hate doing this, but... I would do it for you, to heal the scars and change the stars..." :laugh:

Don't get me wrong. I fully agree that Anette basically burned the bridges after he departure from the band. The band were being incredibly professional about it, and she kept slinging mud at them for a long time afterwards. She definitely owes the band an apology.

But my point wasn't whether or not she deserved to perform with the band again as a special guest or not. It was more of a general remark how the conversation about the vocalist in Nightwish by fans, media and random people on YouTube alike seem to revolve around Tarja and Floor. It's very rare to see Anette mentioned, unless someone is referring to her two albums with the band (but not so much her as a singer).

It's both good and bad, I guess. The good is that most people seem to like both, even if they have a favourite, and so the entire discourse around the band is different. It's far more positive now, with far less people questioning their status as one of the best, if not the best band in the genre. Their greatness is no longer spoken of in past tense. Especially as a live band. It does make me feel a bit sorry for Anette, even if a lot of the criticism against her is totally valid.

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

Don't get me wrong. I fully agree that Anette basically burned the bridges after he departure from the band. The band were being incredibly professional about it, and she kept slinging mud at them for a long time afterwards. She definitely owes the band an apology.

But my point wasn't whether or not she deserved to perform with the band again as a special guest or not. It was more of a general remark how the conversation about the vocalist in Nightwish by fans, media and random people on YouTube alike seem to revolve around Tarja and Floor. It's very rare to see Anette mentioned, unless someone is referring to her two albums with the band (but not so much her as a singer).

It's both good and bad, I guess. The good is that most people seem to like both, even if they have a favourite, and so the entire discourse around the band is different. It's far more positive now, with far less people questioning their status as one of the best, if not the best band in the genre. Their greatness is no longer spoken of in past tense. Especially as a live band. It does make me feel a bit sorry for Anette, even if a lot of the criticism against her is totally valid.

I'm wondering if Anette's lack of a big fanbase coming into Nightwish has a part in that. Tarja built up hers in the band which she was with from the start and for nine years. Floor already had a quite a big fanbase that overlapped with Nightwish's. Anette however, wasn't on that many people's radar. She had, of course, been a part of Alyson Avenue for years but they weren't really a high profile band and I don't think she had personal fans before Nightwish. It didn't make it better that she alienated parts of the fanbase she eventually developed. 

I think a lot of why Annette isn't thought of immediately is that Tarja and Floor have been working longer than her in the metal scene. Both of them have had already been iconic in those circles before she joined up.

No doubt Imaginaerum is my second favorite NW album and I give Annette great credit for it. I've always had this feeling, though, that Annette saw her involvement as a job and not as a passion.

But I think it's in part her own fault for not embracing the scene.

She expressed being content with her skill set, that she had no interest in progressing any further as a singer despite knowing that she was, if we're being blunt here, ill equipped to tackle at least half of the band's repertoire. In contrast, look at Ailyn who had a very limited range upon joining Sirenia, but by the time she was fired for no good reason had improved so much - including getting rid of a thick accent and learning how to sing in a semi-classical fashion fitting for Gothic metal.

Then there were all the stupid remarks she made about metal culture in general, like what she said about headbanging. But most notably she did not seem to respect the passion behind the band and its music. Nightwish was so obviously mere work to her.

In short, she made no effort to make people embrace her. You either liked her in spite of all this, or you were dismissed as a hater.

9 hours ago, Magnus said:

I've noticed this too and I have to agree that the Anette-era has slowly vanished from people's mind, myself included. It's sad since when thinking about it her contributions made a big impact on the band's career and where they are today. DPP was the first album that made them play big stadiums in Europe, and Amaranth has 100 million views on YT (BBB has 50, Islander has 20, almost 170 + million in total for DPP). Who knows what would had happen if her years haden't take place and they had Floor right after Tarja. Floor has a undeniable talent for sure, but I think her popularity got boosted even more since she replaced Anette and not Tarja. 

Also, most of the songs from the band that I regularly listen to is from her two albums even if her presence as the lead vocalist is gone from my mind. 

I'm happy that we have Floor now and would not change her for anyone, but Anette deserves to be recognized more for what she did for the band even if her attitude and live singing wasn't the greatest.  

Anette was definitely being childish about the whole thing. Her comments about Britney and Rihanna, or was it Rihanna and Beyonce? Anyway, they were so ridiculous... I think she really regards music as hobby, not as a full-time job. She doesn't want to focus on just one thing I think. I also remember her saying that she doesn't want to do extensive touring because she doesn't want to be away from her kids. Which is all understandable, but NW being as popular as they are, if she can't give the band 100% it wasn't  gonna last, which is what happened in the end. It's all for the best I think, since Floor seems to be much more devoted to the band and has an energy that suits NW so much better.

Still, iRum is a brilliant album, and it's partly thanks to Anette, so she and this album both hold a special place in my heart.

14 hours ago, Sophia said:

Then when I heard/saw Storytime I literally had a wtf reaction. That definitely wasn't what I wanted to hear from Nighwish. That is my least favourite Nw album. (...) but I don't like the whole childish theme and sound of it.

Thought I was the only one having Irum as his less favourite NW album for that same reason.

My reaction to the Storytime video was like "OK, this is NOT what I wanted from NW, but it's not THAT bad..." and kind of tolerated the song until the album came out. Then, Ghost River and IWMTB became instant favourites from the album, but stil I wasn't 100% satisfied with the overall sound and Anette's voice (specially live). I bought my tickets for their show in December 2012, my intention was giving myself a chance to see them live at least once and then part ways with the band. Floor changed all my plans for good.

So, I had little sympathy for Anette back then, a feeling of "Ok, it is what it is, no more no less. Just that.", so putting all her efforts and contribution to NW aside was natural to me. I admire her for being brave enough to go out on stage and tackle all the pressure, burden from the past of the band and stand there to do her job anyway.

Basically it comes to this..............

It has been 6 years since Anette was sacked and Floor arrived on the scene...............no tantrums being thrown, no internal fighting, no tour mishaps or difficulties or changing of band members for that matter......................Nightwish, what the hell is going on.......:rofl:  

...you have to love them all...don't you!? All the singers...all the players. They've put out great music for a really long time. I can't say there is any band I enjoy listening to MORE than Nightwish. Sure...there are some I consider equal to them...but Nightwish has put out consistently good records. The albums with Anette are good.

Hey everyone! News from Nightwish!!! I recently had the opportunity to talk with them and got their autographs. Now, for a charity, I am selling this tshirt signed by Tuomas Holopainen and Kai Hahto from Nightwish to raise money for the shelter Smeura that saved my dog. The stray dogs are in extreme misery in Romania, especially in winter. Our dog was lucky and got rescued and she's living the good life now. She is a huge fan of Nightwish and gets all snuggly when we watch the VOS DVD 1f642.png:-)so I asked Tuomas and Kai if they would sign this shirt to help me with the fund raising for the shelter. They did!!! This shirt is unique because it is handpainted by me and signed by Kai and Tuomas, so it's THE tshirt for animal loving metalheads 1f609.png;-) It would mean the world to me if you could spread the word for the poor strays in Romania, please share the link on every Nightwish related media you know of and please consider purchasing this shirt. I will send it world wide on my own costs and donate 100% of the receipts of the sale to Tierhilfe Hoffnung. Thank you very much fellow NW fans out there! We were here - and so are the stray dogs. They deserve food and a warm blanket - with your purchase you can support the shelter in Romania!

https://www.ebay.de/itm/223288349340?ul_noapp=true

Text format removed. - Damian.

Couldn't find a good spot for this...so figured it must go in Off-Topic!  I was thinking recently about last NW concert I was at(back in 2015, yes a long time ago!).  I was lucky enough that they played both TPatP AND GLS...what a treat :)  But what was interesting was that I found during the show, I enjoyed performance of TPatP much more than GLS.  My sister was with me and she felt the same.  So am I crazy, or is there anyone else here who feels the same in terms of live performance of these songs?  (If I'm listening to studio versions, I prefer GLS!)

I think Floor obviously sings both songs beautifully...but for some unknown reason, I found TPatP to touch my soul more when I was standing second row in front of Floor!