Carol

Nightwish Off Topic

2,081 posts in this topic

On 12/28/2018 at 7:18 AM, TheSnowyOwl said:

Tuomas said that he's been in contact with Tarja, but that wasn't about End of an Era since Tuomas knew nothing about the release :D I bet it was about Decades considering that Anette knew about that release as well.

I would like to think it was a 3 way email chain that started with "Hey girls!".

This is funny, there is this online service called Tidal that claims to offer high res music files and I thought it is kind of bollocks given that there no *better* version to buy that the 24bit/48kHz version of EFMB but they actually seem to offer the original master files with 24bit/96kHz for streaming. No idea why they are not for regular digital purchase but this is legit awesome. Someone asked where to get high res files some time ago, so I guess this is the place to go. You have to rip it with Audacity though, I guess. 

14 hours ago, Adrn_2810 said:

This is funny, there is this online service called Tidal that claims to offer high res music files and I thought it is kind of bollocks given that there no *better* version to buy that the 24bit/48kHz version of EFMB but they actually seem to offer the original master files with 24bit/96kHz for streaming. No idea why they are not for regular digital purchase but this is legit awesome. Someone asked where to get high res files some time ago, so I guess this is the place to go. You have to rip it with Audacity though, I guess. 

MQA compressed files.

Tidal is Jay-Z's streaming service, it's more expensive than spotify but the audio quality is obviously better and they pay the artists more per song. I don't stream music anyway but if you have the extra money I can see the appeal.       

hm I think it is an improvement. Not a big fan of Jay-Z at all, but I like the idea of that kind of service at least being around. I can see though, why this is somewhat niche. 

1 hour ago, whitenoise said:

MQA compressed files

I highly doubt that it is anywhere close to noticeable, from what the spectrogram suggests, the files they use actually are a good bit better than those of a CD. That said, nobody could possibly tell anyway just by listening.

> Just saying though, I don’t care if no one does. Anyway, I don’t feel like advertising; I just remembered someone aked about high-res Nightwish some time ago, so there is that.

1 hour ago, Adrn_2810 said:

I highly doubt that it is anywhere close to noticeable, from what the spectrogram suggests, the files they use actually are a good bit better than those of a CD. That said, nobody could possibly tell anyway just by listening.

True. No real hardware can reproduce 24bit/96kHz audio so that it would be noticeable. Even if they could, it still wouldn't be noticeable.