mojo

Endless Forms Most Beautiful (2015) - Pt. III

1,886 posts in this topic

Pre-ordered CDs are out. Many people received them already. Let's get rid of the "Endless Spoiler Tags Not Beautiful"  and discuss the CD for real. :D 

Got my plate today, but listened to it manytimes before (guilty as charged!)

1. GSOW 10/10 - this is simply masterpiece, but I hope they will go with shorter version live. Very positive vibe, love that music time-travel part.

2. Alpenglow 10/10 - please play it live! Sounds like old era songs but with different production.

3. SBTB 10/10 - potential opening of every tour concert, really catchy and epic piece with oldschool keyboard solo and fight with guitar.

4. Weak fantasy 9/10 - hardcore flamenco song with really nice NW oldschool interlude with the only one Marco voice solo of the album.

5. Elan 9/10 - very good radio friendly song, I really like Floors voice full of emotions (for the first time in NW history I can say it!).

6. Empty hope - 8/10 - almost as good as Weak fantasy but even after tenth listen I don´t get final part, it has no good conclusion.

7. My Walden - 8/10 - grower, after first listen I didn´t like it, but that light happy chorus starts to be catchy.

8. EFMB - 8/10 - also grower, complex song, nothing catchy here.

9. Our decades in sun - 6/10, I hear potential to be very good live song where you will fall in love with Floor again and again.

10. Eyes - 6/10, not bad at all, but too long instrumental, Troy had good idea with Elan as single but bad idea not to have lyrics here.

11. Edema Ruth - 4/10, I don´t like it at all, can´t tell you why, I didn´t like it for the first time and I´m sure I won´t like it ever.

Full album 9/10, its getting better and better.

Technical info - it has better dynamic range than previous one, also I coudln´t listen to previous album on my hi-fi headphones as guitars were painfull to my ears (maybe product of loudness war?). I don´t have this experience with new album! Yeey!

Am I the only one who thinks that Our Decades in the Sun has a rather strong Lover Over Gold-era Dire Straits vibe? Meaning the instrumentations and rhythmic elements that remind me of Private Investigations a bit. As those soft piano parts.

Wonder of the ear book has extra pages in or just larger than the normal size digi

Wonder of the ear book has extra pages in or just larger than the normal size digi

I`m dying to see all versions as soon as I am home, I`ve got this picture from brother

108 pages on the 'Part II' thread - is that a record for this forum?

Don't expect I'll get it unitl Monday, though it's possible Amazon will send it tomorrow so could arrive on Saturday...

I've been counting down the days by going through NW's past albums one per day - yesterday was 'Wishmaster Wednesday', today is (the slightly less alliterative) 'Century Child Thursday' :D

I received my copy also today (audiobook version).

Oh my...!

Sure, EFMB opens more to listener probably after few more rounds, but for now I can say that this is the best NW record of all times, IMO.

Shivers and chills, few smiles, sadness and tears - Our Decades In The Sun actually touched me very deep made me cry  (I lost my biological parents as a kid). Strong images painted in my mind with every song.  And that last piece... Wow, something else. The song cannot be bad if it ends with whale singing.

Weak Fantasy, Our Decades in the sun, My Walden, Edema Ruh and Alpenglow popped out immediately. But as I said, IMO there are no Weak song on CD this time.

To me, this album is very good and full of surprise but far from being the best stuff made by Nightwish, some stuffs are grower, other ones are for me to skip. YIAEH feels overkilled, ODITS seems dragging on, while people love it, I don't, the song never grows on me, SBTB sounds like fun but was too much recycled from DCOW. The second half of the album seems to be more experimental but is better than the first one, I think. My favs are Weak Fantasy, My Walden, Alpenglow, TGSOE, and EFMB

Now everyone should copy their reviews from the past week here... :P

I'll give some of my impressions after work :)

Got my copy yesterday as I predicted, and I have to say that I LOVE the booklet artworks! I'm a sucker for wilderness pictures and details so the pages for My Walden, Edema Ruh and Alpenglow made me almost appreciate those songs even more than I did before :P Now I imagine these places every time I listen to the songs! 

Here's some short thoughts I have about the album

1. Shudder - Absolutely adore this and I don't give a heck about it being similar to other songs. This is Nightwish at their best and the return of so much keyboards and guitars is a real pleasure to me. I find the second part of the song to be the strongest one with this lovely headbanging moment and the beautiful choir with Floor on top of it + final choruses are badass singing by Floor. I was taken back to the Nightwish I fell in love with - Definitely a 10/10.

2. Weak Fantasy - I had mixed feeling about this one the first couple of times I've heard it. I felt the chorus lacked a little more words to be honest and the general sound of the song was so different from the Nw I was used to. BUT now I love it! I love all the different sections, the flamenco verses, Marco's bridge, the heaviness. Top notch and I can't wait to see how this will be live. 9/10.

3. Élan - As I said when Elan first was out in February - I love this piece. Yes, it's not heavy. Yes, it's not as bombastic as previous (first) singles, but it's still great song with a good vibe, good lyrics and a positive spirit. Floor's singing on the verses is to die for and I have grown to really like chorus a lot. The only thing I would have wished for was for them to include the acoustic guitars more in the whole song, not just the ending. Those are some beautiful seconds right there. 8/10

4. YIAEH - This song is maybe the one who had the least impression on me so far. It's a good song, heavy with riffs and I love that they use Floor's harsh singing, but I feel the song could have had an more interesting middle sections. Everything else I'm fine with and I'm sure this will be a great live song to show off Floor's grunting (during the chorus, can't wait to hear that). 8/10. 

5. Our Decades - I love, love, love this! Can't express it enough. This is a new Floor to me. So gentle, so soft, so emotional. And I love the lyrics, the last part with "Our walk has been sublime.." made me tear up. Instrumentally this song is really interesting too. Nice build ups and some good guitar work by Emppu. 10/10. 

6. My Walden - I see this as a mature version of what I think Tuomas wanted to make out of IWMTB. The chorus is stuck in my head as much as the verses, and the second part makes me want to dance around a campfire (Honestly, yes). Can imagine myself on a sunset hike somewhere in the world while listening to this. Great stuff - 9/10

7. Endless Forms - When I first read the reviews I got the impression that this would be the absolute killer Nightwish track with all their trademarks, something like Ever Dream is to Century Child, but it didn't even get close to this impression when I listened to it. I won't be as harsh as some of you here have been about this song cause I really like it, but let's say I expected more. Still a grower, and it gets better with each listen. 8/10.

8.  Edema Ruh - A lot simpler than I thought it would be. I still love the feelings I get from this song - like sitting around a campfire with my friends singing this together. Emppu also needs some recognition for this song since he have a lot of interesting parts here and there if you listen carefully. Troy's bridge is also a highlight for me. 7/10. 

9. Alpenglow - Such a good track, killer performance by Floor! It has everything I like with Nightwish, a good solo and some great vocal melodies. One of my favorites for sure - 10/10. 

10. Eyes of Sharbat Gula - Love all the piano on this album, and this is a great example of it. Nice build up song and I see a lot of things in my mind when I listen to this (though most of it is war zones images in the Middle East because of the theme). Maybe a touch too long, but I like it a lot. 8/10

11. TGSOE - Nothing more to say - Love every second of this with all of my heart. It's like watching a movie, everything builds up then BAM.. Climax. And then it happens again, and again, and again! I don't get how anyone can say to the intro/outro is boring either, they are there to serve their purpose - build up before climax and build down to a peaceful ending. Let the imagination flow when you listen to this. As the intro goes on I can literally see the universe slowly being created as the thunder roars. The vocals are amazing too with a lot and variations, and I love how they utilize the whole band in their sections. Definitely in the league with Ghost Love Score and BOTB for me - 10/10!

12. Sagan - Catchy bonus! I like the instrumental parts of this song and the chorus gets stuck in my head all the time. I haven't listened to this song as much as I wanted to after I got all the other songs, but I love it and think it's a great threat. 8/10. 

So overall I would give it a 8.5-9/10 - I think this album is right up there with all the other albums. A new fresh sound again, as well as keeping their trademarks. Good stories, more focus on each band member and a more mature theme approaches which I really appreciate. Nightwish have never disappointed me with any of their albums, and they surely haven't done it this time either. So a lot of love to this one!

Can someone check the writing credits? Who wrote which song?

Marco co-wrote lyrics for Weak Fantasy and Yours,

and

Marco co-wrote the music for Weak Fantasy, Yours, Our Decades, My Walden and The Toolmaker.

Got my version of the new album today: 3 CDs, the earbook and... (I forgot about that) a silver vinyl version of "Endless forms most beautiful" - alternate version. 

Uhmmm... I don't have a player for that anymore...  :blush:

Can someone check the writing credits? Who wrote which song?

Marco co-wrote lyrics for Weak Fantasy and Yours,

and

Marco co-wrote the music for Weak Fantasy, Yours, Our Decades, My Walden and The Toolmaker.

Wow, that's more than ever... Tuomas really needed some help this time :)

Well, Im really disappointed now, so many have theirs and I just checked NB Europe and mine still says "Send ON" and still no email. and I even see some people from the US have theirs. You know what, Im not even excited about receiving it anymore. It gets here when it gets here.

The Nightwish website has a dedicated page for their music videos and live recordings now. They're all there, including the newly uploaded old ones.

There is also one for photos, promotional and miscellaneous, instead of redirecting to another site.

Band and member biographies are up to date and a bit more detailed than before. Discography and lyrics for EFMB have been added.

Nightmail is gone, but there is now an address for fan mail. (That new?)

Everything looks and feels very organic and modern, and fits the album theme very well! It's a complete evolution since Imaginaerum days! Kudos to Rebecca Brayman and Benedikt Deicke!

Am I the only one really excited? :D (I'm figuring this is at least semi-related to the album release.)

Okay I'm going to try and write a review. Note that my thoughts still aren't coherent about the amazingness that is EFMB and that I can't wait to get the cd and play it through my cd player.

1. SBTB: I like how this opens with a blast after the spoken parts. It's up-tempo, catchy, I love the amount of guitar in it and the solo offs between Tuomas and Emppu really make me want to see this one live. Then we get the choir part which just gives me chills all over (though I must say that I am a sucker for choirs in general) and then the soft part is a perfect ... god how do you call that... something before the heaviness kicks in again. A small breather for live versions, if you will, before you can get loose again. 8.5/10

2. Weak Fantasy: I can't get over how much I love this song. It does have some MPG feels from it, but thats only in regards of the heaviness of the music. Floor soft singing in the beginning is a perfect prelude to the more heavyness of the song. The chorus is unlike I've ever heard before, but maybe that's what I like so much about it. While some might be bummed about the folkish elements a little over halfway in the song, I kind of feel like it's quite refreshing and that it fits perfectly. 10/10

3. Élan: For me, this is one of the weakest songs of the album. This does not mean that this is a bad song per se, but more so that it doesn't quite live up to the rest of the album for me. That being said, it's a happy, uplifting song and I think that if this song is played live, it would actually benefit from it. 7/10

4. YIAEH: This might even sound more like MPG than SBTB did, but it's by no means a bad thing. While I didn't particularly like MPG, this is quite a nice song. I don't even mind the growlinglike parts. I only must say that the YIAEH parts do get a bit repetitive. 8/10

5. ODITS: This is just stunning. Not only the lyrics are beautiful, but Floor's soft voice is amazing as well. It's a really emotional song, the guitar is amazing... one of the best ballads Nightwish has ever done. 10/10

6. My Walden: The translations from text to spoken parts still don't make sense to me when it comes to the Welsh parts, but that's another matter. This is like a next IWMTB, and I can't be sure which one I like the best. Still, this will be fun to jump around to during concerts and it's happy and uplifting. Great song. 9/10

7. EFMB: I don't get what the general disdain is regarding this song. I really like it. Sure, it might not be their best ever, but it is really good. 8.5/10

8. Edema Ruh: It's a good song, has a nice vibe from it and while I really do like it, it falls a bit behind in comparision to the other songs. 7.5/10

9. Alpenglow: This is also a good song, very good indeed, but the only downpart for me is the... how do you say that... the different singing Floor does in the parts like 'jabjab bird'. 9.5/10

10. EOSG: I'm an absolute sucker for piano and I cannot help but adore this song as well. The vibe given with this song is so well done, considering the fact that it seems to be so simply done. I really do get Middle-East vibes from it and it all just... works. 10/10

11: TGSOE: I still cannot get over the amazingness that is TGSOE. I absolutely ADORE the first few minutes, especially when Floor starts singing and just the piano and just... it's amazing. Really. It has kicked off GLS from the no 1 spot in my fave songs ever list, which had been there for seven years, so which is quite a feat. I'm not bothered at all by the narrative stuff (but then again, I also adored the SOM poem). If I could give more points than 10 out of 10, I'd certainly would've done it. I can't get enough of this song and I keep hoping that they'll play this one live, even if they do short it, if only because of the fact that the 'we were here' chanting would be absolutely amazing live and I can see the crowd shouting long at the top of their voices. Chills all over. 10/10

Okay I'm going to try and write a review. Note that my thoughts still aren't coherent about the amazingness that is EFMB and that I can't wait to get the cd and play it through my cd player.

1. SBTB: I like how this opens with a blast after the spoken parts. It's up-tempo, catchy, I love the amount of guitar in it and the solo offs between Tuomas and Emppu really make me want to see this one live. Then we get the choir part which just gives me chills all over (though I must say that I am a sucker for choirs in general) and then the soft part is a perfect ... god how do you call that... something before the heaviness kicks in again. A small breather for live versions, if you will, before you can get loose again. 8.5/10

2. Weak Fantasy: I can't get over how much I love this song. It does have some MPG feels from it, but thats only in regards of the heaviness of the music. Floor soft singing in the beginning is a perfect prelude to the more heavyness of the song. The chorus is unlike I've ever heard before, but maybe that's what I like so much about it. While some might be bummed about the folkish elements a little over halfway in the song, I kind of feel like it's quite refreshing and that it fits perfectly. 10/10

3. Élan: For me, this is one of the weakest songs of the album. This does not mean that this is a bad song per se, but more so that it doesn't quite live up to the rest of the album for me. That being said, it's a happy, uplifting song and I think that if this song is played live, it would actually benefit from it. 7/10

4. YIAEH: This might even sound more like MPG than SBTB did, but it's by no means a bad thing. While I didn't particularly like MPG, this is quite a nice song. I don't even mind the growlinglike parts. I only must say that the YIAEH parts do get a bit repetitive. 8/10

5. ODITS: This is just stunning. Not only the lyrics are beautiful, but Floor's soft voice is amazing as well. It's a really emotional song, the guitar is amazing... one of the best ballads Nightwish has ever done. 10/10

6. My Walden: The translations from text to spoken parts still don't make sense to me when it comes to the Welsh parts, but that's another matter. This is like a next IWMTB, and I can't be sure which one I like the best. Still, this will be fun to jump around to during concerts and it's happy and uplifting. Great song. 9/10

7. EFMB: I don't get what the general disdain is regarding this song. I really like it. Sure, it might not be their best ever, but it is really good. 8.5/10

8. Edema Ruh: It's a good song, has a nice vibe from it and while I really do like it, it falls a bit behind in comparision to the other songs. 7.5/10

9. Alpenglow: This is also a good song, very good indeed, but the only downpart for me is the... how do you say that... the different singing Floor does in the parts like 'jabjab bird'. 9.5/10

10. EOSG: I'm an absolute sucker for piano and I cannot help but adore this song as well. The vibe given with this song is so well done, considering the fact that it seems to be so simply done. I really do get Middle-East vibes from it and it all just... works. 10/10

11: TGSOE: I still cannot get over the amazingness that is TGSOE. I absolutely ADORE the first few minutes, especially when Floor starts singing and just the piano and just... it's amazing. Really. It has kicked off GLS from the no 1 spot in my fave songs ever list, which had been there for seven years, so which is quite a feat. I'm not bothered at all by the narrative stuff (but then again, I also adored the SOM poem). If I could give more points than 10 out of 10, I'd certainly would've done it. I can't get enough of this song and I keep hoping that they'll play this one live, even if they do short it, if only because of the fact that the 'we were here' chanting would be absolutely amazing live and I can see the crowd shouting long at the top of their voices. Chills all over. 10/10

Jub-Jub bird from Alice in wonderland.

And this is what a review should look like. Explain what you like. Explain what you don't. Donot bash anything.

So... is "Shudder Before The Beautiful" an official digital single now? It's on iTunes. With that thought-to-be-fanmade cover art...

What? No, it must have a mistake, or it's a super cheesy choice making a free-to-hear song a single

Well, it's there. Standard price of 12 kr. Preview available, though I haven't listened myself. I'd take a screenshot but I don't know how to upload. Unless you have to use a separate hosting website.

All the songs have ben pretty thoroughly described by now so I feel as though I know them pretty well, though I haven't heard a note (except for Elan) and have avoided the lyrics. I wonder how this will affect my first-time listening, given that for DPP & iRum I didn't know wanything at all about the songs before hearing them...

All I know is I expect Alpenglow to be the best song, and YIAEH to be the worst. It probably won't end up like that though.