Hidden In Silence

World Tour EFMB 2015/2016

2,541 posts in this topic

@Somebody's Lass

Don't be bothered, please! 

Although Belarussia is not in Russia, it's still part of the Russian tour, hence the name BelaRUSSIA.

And according to mr. Poetin's plans, it's all gonna be Soviet Union again anyway.

edited: 24-11

For those who are doubting my sanity, that last sentence is called a joke!

In the light of their knowledge of geography, I would have expected the band to visit Vienna, DE and Copenhagen, NO, as well.

I was at the concert in Hamburg and before I start I just want to say it was my 13th time seeing them. Before that I've already seen them with all 3 singers. And I don't like the new album.

Unfortunately for me that was their weakest concert up to date. Mainly it is the setlist that incredibly bothers me. Well, at least some of the new songs and other like 7 Days. Luckily at least Last of The Wilds is gone. I'm very sorry but the new songs might be heavy and everything but to me they are very soulles. The lyrics are »organic« (that might not be a coincidence considering the topics) and the music recycled. No one will ever convince me that The Greatest Show On Earth will ever make the same impact on people as Ghost Love Score or The Poet And The Pendulum make. It'a also too long for a live performance. Luckily there are the videos that keep you busy. Why they still play The Islander is beyond me. I absolutely love that song but they've played it at almost every concert since the Dark Passion Play tour. And it's definately not one of their biggest hits. They even dropped Amaranth which was quite a successful single. But let's not dwell on the negatives and move on to the positives. Ghost Love Score. That song live is definately the highlight. You can watch I don't know how many YT videos and wish they could maybe drop it but when those first chords start playing... Simply amazing. And I'm someone who absolutely disliked the song until Anette came aboard and showed what this song is really about. And after a very long time Wishmaster! I wasn't too thrilled about Floor's vocals on the vidoes but live it's absolutely a classic. I'm happy they are still playing it here and there. One of my personal highlights was Stargazers. I really wish they would squeeze in at least one more goldie like this. It just makes me very nostalgic and puts a giant grin on my face. Old school Nightwish! Sleeping Sun for me doesn't count since they've been playing it kinda always. Also I don't really like how Floor sings the first part. If she sung everything like the last part, that would be for me a whole nother story. A pleasant surprise was Elan. I do like the song but wasn't too sure how it works live from the vidoes. Pretty good, IMO.

The production with the whole screens and stage is almost the same, maybe slightly bigger than on the previous tour, so I wasn't really blown away. I just wish there would be less show and more Nightwish the band. I wanted to see them maybe a few times more on this tour but since the setlist probably won't change, I'm going to see them only in Budapest this year. Simply not worth all the money. I hope no one got me wrong, I absolutely love this band, and I hope I just have to sit out this tour. 

No one will ever convince me that The Greatest Show On Earth will ever make the same impact on people as Ghost Love Score or The Poet And The Pendulum make. 

The Greatest Show had a greater impact on me than GLS and The Poet. I think the impact a song has depends on the listener, not on the song per se.

@Eruanne

Blimey! Your 13th concert!!

I don´t think I´ve ever seen one artist or band more than 6 times in my life. 

I do agree with you on most points. I´m also not that big a fan of TGSOE and certainly not of that length, and I can also understand that you´re being fed up with a lot of ´classic´ songs that are played like The Last Of The Wilds and The Islander (although I absolutely love both).

It maybe also have to do with the structure of performances during a concert. There are not that many songs which they can play on their own during a break, used for a little drink, a little rest, a pee or a changing of dress. 

Or maybe you´ve just seen them too many times :P   

For example, I would love to hear some songs from Angels Fall First, like Elvenpath and Beauty And The Beast next time around, but I guess every fan has her/his favourites. But really, I can (and have to) live with whatever they play, knowing that you only get to hear and see them on tour every 2-3 years.

But what I totally disagree with, that Anette made Ghost Love Score interesting. She really was no match compared to Tarja´s way of singing, and compared to Floor....well I won´t even go into that; no comparison at all I´d say.        

Anyway, thanks for your refreshing point of view and I hope you´ll have a blast in Budapest no matter what they play.

This is a nice one from Oberhausen:

[media]

[/media]

And there are some more on the same YT channel.

I have a feeling that Our Decades in the Sun will be played today, in reference to Kai's latest fb post :)

I haven't come on this forum in a long time, but I feel like I have to share with you the wonderful night I spent last monday.

Before I go on talking about monday night, I first want to apologise in advance for my low quality English vocabulary, and also I want to say that I saw Nightwish this summer for the first time in Hellfest, but I was a bit disappointed with the show. The musicians were of course perfect, but the general atmosphere was in my opinion, quite bad. I don't know why, but I expected more from that night (hell, I was tired too, after 3 days of festival).

So I went to Lyon, France this monday, hoping I was going to attend a great concert.

First, the supporting bands were AMAZING. Amorphis was a total discovery for me, and they just rocked. I'm mad I didn't know about them earlier, what an awesome band! Arch Enemy was my first time too, I've wanted to see them for a long time. They litteraly kicked ass. I wasn't expecting so much energy on stage! Such a good band too! :woot: And it's now official, I have a crush on Alissa. :heat: 

But then came the great Nightwish. I've been to some symphonic concerts (mostly Epica), but I wasn't expecting such production level. Man, we're litteraly facing a war machine! Explosions, fireworks everywhere, and beautiful sceneries displayed on the back. Each song has its' own atmosphere.

The intro was mad and set the tone, and then Yours Is An Empty Hope was a blast. Probably one of the most impressive songs to see that night.

Going back to some classic NW with Ever Dream and She Is My Sin. I'm not fond of My Walden when I listen to it on the album, but it takes all its dimension when you see it live. The folk part (ending of the song) is perfect and adds some diversity in the show.

Then the big screen stopped, and Marco stepped forwards with his beautiful bass/guitar, asking us to pull lighters and smartphones up, and he started playing The Islander. Wow! Breathtaking song, one of my favorites ballades of the band. Hearing people sing it passionately, waving their lighters... Damn I'm almost crying just thinking about it! :)

They went on with Elan, Weak Fantasy (awesome), and 7 Days To The Wolves, that caught me by surprise. I wasn't expecting that song (I intentionally didn't check the setlists before). And it was a blast too !

Not a fan of Alpenglow that was coming up next, but then I went mad when I heard Floor say "do you want to hear a story ?". Storytime! I discovered the band with this song!

After playing the greatest hit of the band (Nemo), it was Stargazers' turn to give some energy to the setlist. If I had to make a top of my Nightwish highlights, Stargazers would come at the 3rd place. This song is amazing, seeing it live belongs to the things you have to do in a lifetime. :)

After such a storm, the atmosphere needed to chill a little bit. Sleeping Sun was the perfect song for that.

And then came my second favorite song of the band, Ghost Love Score. I still get chills when I listen to it at home. But when you're confronted to the band, and you hear the first 3 powerful notes of the song, you just want to cry of happiness. I havent' mentioned it before, but, God.. Floor Jansen is the best thing that happened to Nightwish in a long time. She is a goddess, every single note from the song was perfectly sung, and that ending when she reaches the highest notes impressed every one in the hall.

After all these emotions, it was time for the Last Ride Of The Day. We knew the end was close, even if Marco told us something like "I'd like to tell you that it's our last song but it's still not the case".  :laugh: 

The real ending was to come, with The Greatest Show On Earth. And again, I wasn't expecting something that huge. The show allows the band to add some visual content to the music, and it works so well. The song (well, just the first 3 chapters) went by in the blink of an eye. Starting slow with the beautiful piano melody, slowly adding lyrics vocals from Floor... and then the explosion! The war machine started again, Emppu's wild guitar riffs came with it, along with Floor and Marco's powerful voices. On the giant screen on the back, the evolution of life is displayed throughout the song, and the leitmotiv of the album "we were here".

That final was an amazing experience to live! It gave the show another dimension, that allows us to say that this band is one of the greatest acts alive.

So to conclude... Nightwish never gets old, their live shows are huge, and I spent one of the greatest nights of my life. :woot:

It's so unfair to Emppu to listen how Troy taking his place and his possible solos. He's always negated and I guarantee that he is offended by this.

I love this song. Part of me wants them to keep it in their setlist because it deserves the recognition, but at the same time I feel like playing it for Paris only on this particular tour makes a bit more sense. I wish they had filmed it and put it up on YouTube though. Such a good performance.

That being said, I'm all for replacing The Islander with just about anything because they've basically been performing that song non-stop since 2007. I wouldn't mind hearing an an acoustic take of Eva with Marco on the vocals!

It's so unfair to Emppu to listen how Troy taking his place and his possible solos. He's always negated and I guarantee that he is offended by this.

What? I know he's got a new guitar now but that's good, not bad, as now troy can play the riffs and Emppu the melodic guitar. This song is an exception as Troy sings on it. I raised a few eybrows at him playing the guitar and not the pipes on the violin part, but whatever.

Can we please get a re-recording of WYLASR whith the current line-up? It was technically never a Nightwish song so can we use the loophole and PLEASE get this version with Floor and Troy?.

I think it might be the O2 in Hamburg and Bercy, Paris with both around 16.000 places, but it always depends how they do the seating/standing space.

Schleyerhallen in Stuttgart with 15.500 and Wembley with 12.500 places.

@SilentDawn 

You're right. HMH 5.500 to Lotto Arena 8.000. I always confuse Sportpaleis (max 23.000) with Lotto Arena. 

@WeWereHere

That's Bercy, Paris (AccorHotelsArena now) 20.300 max for concerts.

What? I know he's got a new guitar now but that's good, not bad, as now troy can play the riffs and Emppu the melodic guitar. This song is an exception as Troy sings on it. I raised a few eybrows at him playing the guitar and not the pipes on the violin part, but whatever.

Can we please get a re-recording of WYLASR whith the current line-up? It was technically never a Nightwish song so can we use the loophole and PLEASE get this version with Floor and Troy?.

Agree! But I am confident that we will get a professional recording at some point during the tour. They even created a blizzard-style visualisation for the song ... wouldn't it be a shame to perform it only once with this production?

It seemed likely to me that WYLSR would be played during the European leg but I did not expect it to turn out so nicely. Troy deserves recognition for this awesome performance - I'd like to hear more of this please! 

Generally, I hope that we get to see even more of the band members' versatility in muscial skills. Maybe there is a chance that Troy gets to sing a duet with Floor in a song later on (and not only background singing)? And let's not forget that Kai teached Jukka about playing Jazz (please correct me if I remember wrong) - hence, it would be nice to hear his live interpretation of SLS. Probably wishful thinking as I know that this song has not been played during this tour as yet. Last but not least, I would also love to see a fluet duet between Floor and Troy!  :music: