netsuff

Tuomas Holopainen: Floor Jansen will be the last singer of Nightwish

28 posts in this topic

Some interesting Statement. Still thinking about what exactly that could mean  ...

If Floor leaves someday NW will stop or Marco will sing alone ?

Source:

http://yle.fi/ylex/uutiset/tuomas_holopainen_floor_jansen_tulee_olemaan_nightwishin_viimeinen_laulaja/3-8015464

(edit : link was outdated)

I havent watched the included video, because i dont understand the language. Is http://yle.fi/ a truswotrhy source or boulevard?

(raw Google-Tranaslation)

Nightwish frontman Tuomas Holopainen says YLE Arto Nyberg program that Floor Jansen will be the last singer of Nightwish because the band no longer stand in renewing its members.
34-year-old Dutch soprano Floor Jansen took Nightwish's bandwagon in 2013, when the Swedish Anette Olzon left the band. Published this year, Endless Forms Most Beautiful Nightwish album will be the first disc with Floor Jansen singing.

Tuomas Holopainen does not want to compare the band's three singers, ie Tarja Turku, Anette Olzonia and Floor Jansen each other.
- All are very different singers and personalities. Their comparison of each other is a trivial thing to do, Holopainen says Arto Nyberg program.

Nightwish frontman does not want to change the singer anymore at all times. Reading between the lines one can read that it would band's destiny.
- Changing the Members is an energy vampire, if it has to make, I do not believe that such is no longer the future rahkeita.

That is, Floor Jansen is your last singer?
- Yes, Holopainen says.

See below for the entire program.

(video)

It's true that he said so in that interview. I can translate the whole interview later, but about Marco singing alone, Tuomas also said that Nightwish would never consider performing without a female singer.

Floor is the last singer of Nightwish, it makes me happy. :)

I watched the video, but it's really difficult to understand what they say. The conversation seems to be interesting and I'd be grateful if someone could transcribe that.

It could mean that the band is calling it quits soon but I highly doubt that. It just seems like an unsafe statement. I mean I'm sure they've dealt with a lot of backlash from dropping vocalists suddenly and just want to assure fans it isn't a habit, but you never know what's gonna come up in the future.

You can also take it as: "We have Floor and we literally couldn't do any better." LOL

Hopefully! I want Floor & Nightwish forever and ever, it's just a natural progression :)

I hope that last acoustic album is far far fat and away.

Still, imagine the very last song of that album, will it end with the beginning notes of Elvenpath? That would have me screaming like a widower.

Well, he also said once that when Tarja quits the band, NW would cease to exist. So, go figure....

I mean, the vehicle and stuff. 

Well he probably believes that now but who knows what will happen if Floor ever left Nw. Although i dont see that happening any time soon.

Here’s my translation of the interview. Tuomas’ interview begins about at 28:00 on the video.

In April, Tuomas Holopainen’s Nightwish began their world tour in New York. The tour will continue until the end of 2016. One of the high points of the tour is a concert at the legendary Wembley Arena. Welcome, Tuomas Holopainen.
- Thank you.

A week ago you came home from a six-week tour in North America, but in June the tour continues in Joensuu. So, you’re traveling all over the world because you will go to Australia and back to North America too. But the interesting thing is that this tour, your eighth tour in the USA, was the first tour that was economically profitable. How is this possible? I mean, why were the previous tours unprofitable?
- There are plenty of reasons. Especially in North America you have to start from scratch and tour in “pizzerias” first in order to get some name. This is how it has gone. We’ve known it and it hasn’t bothered us at any point. We’ve had fun there, but it’s nice that the trend is up.

How did you finance the seven earlier tours? Please explain that bizarre math.
- We have other incomes too, such as album sales, touring in other parts of the world, and selling band merchandise. The big guys in the management handle the numbers and fortunately have managed to make them match.

How do the venues of this tour differ from the venues of your earlier tours?
- They were slightly bigger than ever before. In most concerts we had 1,000 to 2,000 spectators. The biggest gig was at The Greek Theater in Los Angeles for 4,000 people.

Those are reasonably large venues. Did you conquer the United States already?
- I wonder how you define conquering, but we had a good amount of spectators during the whole tour and they seemed to have fun. I wouldn’t talk about conquering America yet, but we’re still trying hard.

What is it like touring for six weeks, playing in almost every evening? How does it happen in practice? How do you travel in that big country?
- We have a Nightliner bus that has all facilities a human being needs: a toilet, a kitchen and a large bed. In practice, the routine goes like this: In the morning we wake up in a new city at the venue. We go to have a breakfast, do the soundcheck, possibly give a few interviews and if there’s time, we spent some time as tourists. In the evening we have the gig. After the gig we take a shower and then we go to sleep in the bus. And in the next morning we wake up in a new city. So, that’s how romantic modern touring is.

Mikko is laughing because he has toured all over Finland in small venues. But is touring pleasure, work or time to use intoxicants?
- All those three things in a suitable mix. But I see that the whole band has a huge passion for this work. Music business, the time in the tour bus, is such a strange world that you need the certain character in order to enjoy it and have energy to do it.

Mikko: You definitely couldn’t do it if you didn’t enjoy it.
- That’s true. It may sound a cliché, but you do it with your heart. And even if there are issues with people or economics, it’s the music that keeps you going. In a way, the band, the technicians and the management are your second family. There’s a lot of love that keeps you going.

It’s interesting that you mentioned the need to have the certain character since your band has replaced the singers, maybe not often, but still. We made a little clip of the subject.
- a clip from 2003 with Tarja
- TV news on the 24th of May 2007: “The Finnish band Nightwish has published the name of their new vocalist. She is Swedish Anette Olzon who has previously sung in Swedish bands. Originally the name of the new singer was supposed to be revealed next week, but the new single of the band leaked on the Internet yesterday in the UK. Nightwish fired their previous vocalist Tarja Turunen a couple of years ago, which caused a big sensation.
- a clip from 2007 with Anette
- TV news on the 15th of December 2014: “Then a story about Floor Jansen, the new vocalist of the world-famous metal band Nightwish. The Dutch singer has lived in Joensuu since summer. Floor Jansen is anxiously waiting for the new album and the American tour in spring. The metal band Nightwish has stadium concerts in Finland and abroad.”

There were your three vocalists and I’d like to ask you to describe them. How do they differ or what do they have in common?
- They are very different singers, very different personalities. When things were going well, we had a good time with any of the three singers. But it would be useless to start comparing them to each other.

Would it be difficult and unfair?
- Yes, unfair to everyone.

Nightwish’s actions are mentioned even on the TV news, which is uncommon for bands. Wouldn’t a male vocalist suit your musical style?
- From the beginning, our thing has been having a female vocalist. We are never going to change that.

Is Floor Jansen going to be the singer only for next three or four years? Will you replace her at the end of the five-year cycle?
- We’ve been going through so many things in the past 19 years that I refuse to promise anything anymore. But replacing a band member consumes a lot of energy, if you have to do it. So, I don’t think we have enough energy to do that in the future.

So, Floor Jansen will be your last singer?
- Yes.

Okay. Your career has been long and ascending. Today the former member of HIM warned young people of the negative side of fame. “I spent the first year after the band lying in the bed”, says Juska Salminen who played the keyboards in HIM at the time of their breakthrough. Now he says to youngsters that publicity is just a side product of talent and being a celebrity shouldn’t be your primary goal. How have you managed the publicity in all these years?
- That is very well said. It’s exactly like that. It’s extremely worrying if you ask teenagers of their dream occupations and the answer is “a celebrity”. That’s completely wrong. I’ve never particularly enjoyed publicity, in fact I haven’t liked it at all, but as I said, it’s part of this work and you have to manage it somehow. I’ve learned to live with it better over these years, but I don’t enjoy it.

Your career is being a musician, an artist, although you also made a movie which was a flop. And you also had a side-project in cartoon world, so you made a Donald Duck… I mean a Scrooge McDuck project with Don Rosa. What’s up with that project?
- It was a one-off. I’ve no interest or passion to have a solo career. I have to stress that. But making a theme album about Scrooge McDuck under the name of Nightwish would have been unfair to the other band members because they don’t have the similar interest towards Scrooge McDuck as I have. So, I decided to make a solo album this one time.

Are you still in contact with Don Rosa? Do you meet or keep contact?
- We are in contact on a regular basis.

It’s interesting because Mikko Kivinen is one of the few Finns who have met Carl Barks. Please tell us about it.
Mikko: When he visited Finland in the beginning of the 1990s, I was hired to interview him in English, which isn’t my strongest language. He was over 90 years old already. I’m not usually nervous, but then I stressed quite a lot. And I asked the organizers to give me the questions beforehand, but they just said: “ask anything you want”. Fortunately it went well because he was a good speaker as Americans tend to be.

It was a historical moment because it was his first trip abroad. But back to Nightwish, the release of the new album began with a leak. The first single leaked online as a low-quality version. Did you do it on purpose or was it a genuine leak?
- It was a true leak. We didn’t do it on purpose. Maybe some bands or record labels use leaks as a marketing trick, but in this case it definitely wasn’t that. It annoyed us and we complained about it. Apparently many people don’t know that leaking songs is wrong and illegal. In most cases the leakers don’t do harm on purpose. They just think that it’s okay to put everything online just like that. That’s why we wrote a little statement about the leak.

Your tour continues until the end of 2016. The next leg begins in Joensuu on the 6th of June and you will play in Tampere too. You’ve promised them to be your biggest shows ever. What’s going to happen there?
- There will be a lot of action on stage. I don’t want to spoil the surprise, but those two gigs, in Joensuu and Tampere, are going to be the biggest shows we’ve ever done. Everyone should come to see them.

How do you have the energy for all those 600 gigs, playing more or less the same set every time?
- I was just going to say: “By changing the setlist.” But the most important thing is to love this work. You have to remember every day how privileged you are since you have the chance to make music and live by it and have the chance to do it with the people who are your second family. I’m extremely thankful for that every time I wake up, even in the hard moments.

Will you replace her at the end of the five-year cycle?

And the award for the most stupid question in the history of interviews goes to...

@Niko: Thank you very much for the Translation.

But with the message he (or they ?) shift a big responsibility regarding the medium/long-term future to Floor in my opinion, hope she is not unhappy with this ...

Of course she should/can/must stay as long as possible  :good:

And as a personal view from me : Any replacement would run into the same problems as Anette because i think she is highly accepted  within the Fanbase.

And the award for the most stupid question in the history of interviews go to...

@Niko: Thank you very much for the Translation.

But with the message he (or they ?) shift a big responsibility regarding the medium/long-term future to Floor in my opinion, hope she is not unhappy with this ...

Of course she should/can/must stay as long as possible  :good:

And as a personal view from me : Any replacement would run into the same problems as Anette because i think she is highly accepted  within the Fanbase.

Well, I did see the interview a couple of times and the question about changing the vocalist after five years - again - was humorous.

At least I saw it that way.

And I don't think they're putting any extra pressure on Floor about her staying in the band.

Tuomas was simply explaining how hard it is - I suppose both physically and mentally - to replace a vocalist with another.

It was a nice interview in my opinion, not too serious, and Tuomas showed his great sense of humour.

Just from reading the translation, it doesn't sound to me like Nightwish are planning to call it a day in the near future, merely that replacing band members is a process that consumes a lot of energy- so if, in the future, one of the band members reaches a stage where they want to leave/ are fired, then the band as a whole will probably call it a day.

That said, as previously mentioned, Tuomas said that Nightwish would break up if Tarja left the band, and when it actually came to it he decided to continue, so there we go.

He said that knowing the past he isn't willing to promise anything anymore but the interviewer milked him for a simple answer. I think it wouldn't have been very considerate to answer otherwise in that situation.

He said that knowing the past he isn't willing to promise anything anymore but the interviewer milked him for a simple answer. I think it wouldn't have been very considerate to answer otherwise in that situation.

Well, he could say something like "Nobody knows whats happening in five or ten years, we evaluate it when things might occurre".

Having watched the video now just for fun (understood nothing, only to get an impression about the atmosphere) my impression is:

He seems to be very relaxed, but when it comes to the point (36:08 ... 36:11) then something changes. This "yes" came out so rough or harsh (i dont know how to describe exactly) as if his humor has gone to some degree below zero ...

Or am i reading too much between the lines ?

That interview was harsh and we know Tuomas is sensitive with those topics.

And the award for the most stupid question in the history of interviews goes to...

This, and the second question where the interviewer made himself sound like a complete dummy, like it never occurred to him that a band that has operated for 19 years and sold millions of records could have other sources of income to cover the losses of the (previously) unprofitable North American tours.

Overall, a below average Nightwish interview even by the mainstream media standards.

I meant it wasn't considerate to say anything else because, of course, he has a trust in the current line-up. Saying something like "we evaluate if/when things occur" might give a suspicious signal.

If you are judging the interview from the translation alone, please note the translation is not fully one-to-one but it should give a general idea rather than to bring out nuances. I bet people here have better to do than honing the translation for hours, and everyone hasn't got an M.A. in English (me included).

Then, we have cultural differences. The interviewer is Finnish, Tuomas is Finnish and viewers are mostly Finnish. For instance, it is acceptable to ask straight questions here without being harsh.

Thirdly, that was not a music program, not a fan interview but a general talk show. The viewers aren't all Nightwish fans and only a small part of them know much about the band. I don't think people generally know who is the current singer of the band. People probably know Tarja Turunen because she is known from other contexts too, and some people might know they have had several singer changes. Maybe Tuomas' opinion about future singers is something that interests people.

Well, he could say something like "Nobody knows whats happening in five or ten years, we evaluate it when things might occurre".

Having watched the video now just for fun (understood nothing, only to get an impression about the atmosphere) my impression is:

He seems to be very relaxed, but when it comes to the point (36:08 ... 36:11) then something changes. This "yes" came out so rough or harsh (i dont know how to describe exactly) as if his humor has gone to some degree below zero ...

Or am i reading too much between the lines ?

That interview was harsh and we know Tuomas is sensitive with those topics.

1. Indeed you are reading too much between the lines. :yes:

It was simply a situation where Arto Nyberg kind of insisted with that question and in order to stop it, Tuomas said "yes".

2. Arto Nyberg as an interviewer is not harsh, not at all. And Tuomas did not seem uncomfortable either, he seemed to be in a good mood.

People are trying to take their interpretations of a simple interview way, I mean way , too far. :o

There are cultural differences that could possibly explain why some of you seem to interpet this interview in a very different way.

Maybe this could explain it a little better:

"Docent Michael Berry from the University of Turku has studied Finnish speech and silence. His intercultural communication courses for Finnish and exchange students at the Turku School of Economics created the point of departure for this research.

According to Berry, the key to successful communication is to become aware of one´s own cultural customs and to know how to introduce them to others. Also, an open mind when interpreting communication is important.

Berry says that silence and respect are typical Finnish characteristics. The Finns give others space, don’t really like active small-talk and interpret active silences to be an important part of a normal way to communicate. These traits can be difficult to explain to a foreigner, or explaining them might not even cross the Finns’ mind.

Problems arise when different cultures collide and the people aren’t aware of their own cultural traits, let alone understand the other’s background.

- For example, the Finns often show their interest by concentrating quietly whereas the Americans often ask questions and interrupt. Because of these kinds of differences in customs and expectations, some might end up with false and too negative interpretations, Berry says."

Agree. 

Really if I was Tuomas, I'd answer this question like: "Yeah, I'm planning to fire her with fax after this tour then I'll fire Marco, Jukka, Emppu and Troy with a post card from Disneyland and finally I'll fire myself!"

Holy God yes  hahahaha what did he expect? Or was he "joking"? Because that would be super cruel.

I think some of y'all are reading way too into it. It's clear from interviews, shows, pictures, etc that they have a real good thing going on right now. Floor says it all the time, the guys say it. Floor's said she wants to be there for the long haul countless times, whereas Tuomas has said "I hope she wants to be here til the end, because it's an energy vampire" or something along those lines so it all evens out. No use speculating something like that right now when in reality there are all these good vibes in the band.

Also, I'm sure Tuomas knows he struck a goldmine with Floor. Another woman that versatile with that experience and stage presence would be a hard, exhausting thing to find again. Hence probably also why he says she will be the last.

Holy God yes  hahahaha what did he expect? Or was he "joking"? Because that would be super cruel.
Come on you wet blankets!

There was nothing cruel or malicious in that question. It was simply intended to be funny.

Even my Latin-American husband thought so!

ZOMG, is it you, Tarja?! :P

Holy God yes hahahaha what did he expect? Or was he "joking"? Because that would be super cruel.

There was nothing cruel or malicious in that question. It was simply intended to be funny.Even my Latin-American husband thought so!

ZOMG, is it you, Tarja?! :P
Yes, of course it is!