Afrodite

Floor with MeNaiset

12 posts in this topic

As promised, here is the article with Floor from Menaiset website: http://www.menaiset.fi/artikkeli/ajankohtaista/ihmiset/nightwishin_floor_jansen_suomen_upein_nainen_on_tarja_turunen

The printed article is a bit more serious, a translation for that one will follow later on. :)

Nightwish’s Floor Jansen:”The most gorgeous woman in Finland is Tarja Turunen”

Singer Floor Jansen, who lives in Joensuu, hasn’t at least yet gotten excited about Finnish men.

– I haven’t seen any men here and instantly thought, wow, he looks like my type.

Finland has some great looking men! The American website Buzzfeed published a list on Tuesday of 14 Finnish men "that are so hot it actually hurts to look directly at them." http://www.buzzfeed.com/tabathaleggett/14-finnish-men-who-are-so-hot-youll-actually-have-to-cool-do#.omkzPYa0Y

But what do other foreigners think? We asked the Dutch-born Nightwish singer Floor Jansen to tell who she thinks is the hottest Finnish man – and woman.

Picking the male hottie was hard for Floor.

- Oh, I have no idea! I don’t know that many Finnish celeb men. I haven’t seen any men here and instantly thought, wow, he looks like my type, she agonizes.

Let’s take the Buzzfeed list out for help. Floor bypasses most of the hotties with a sneer. For example River Viiperi towards the end of the list is too polished in Floor’s eyes. No one really sparks her interest.  

- With men I have to first know the person, see him in real life. It is really rare that I think someone appeals to me based on a picture. Even Brad Pitt doesn’t attract me based on a picture. But watching movies I of course think he is a handsome man.

Finally Floor pauses at Peter Franzén’s picture.

- He’s the hottest. He looks friendly and handsome. That’s why, Floor explains.

She doesn’t wish him to contact though. At the moment she is in a relationship.

- I’m happy with my own man, Floor laughs.

How about Finnish female beauty? Floor has an answer without any list.

- I don't know whether this is a contradictory thing to say but, in my opinion, Tarja Turunen is a fantastically beautiful woman. I wouldn’t call her hot though, that makes you think she is some sort of an object of lust. 

Floor likes especially Tarja’s face and her delicate features.

- At the same time she has a strong personality.

Floor and Tarja are good friends. They have performed duets together and Tarja has dedicated songs to Floor in her own concerts. At the moment they don’t get to see each other often though since Tarja lives in Argentina.

Tarja is Nightwish’s original singer, who was fired from band when conflicts within the band culminated in 2005. This didn’t affect the relationship between Floor and Tarja though.

- There has never been any problems between us. Whatever they (Tarja and other Nightwish members) have between them, it doesn’t affect me, Floor tells.

And here is the actual article, pictures can be found here: http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/afroditesarchive/library/Lehtijuttuja/Lehdet%202?sort=6&page=1 :)

”Bullying made me braver”

Other's bad mouthing taught Floor Jansen to face hardship with her head up high. She became Nightwish’s singer while still recovering from burnout.

– Turning down work doesn’t come easy to me, but I have learned to say no.

Floor Jansen hurtles through the lobby bar in Hotel Helka slightly wrinkling her eyebrows. Vigorous steps are accompanied by head shakes.

- I can do a lot of things but nothing stupid like that, she snaps.

The words come as an answer to the suggestion that would Floor mosh or sing for a video.

- No. No, no, no. I’m a serious woman, Floor continues.

The 183 centimeter long Floor clearly knows exactly what she wants. She has been creating her career for 20 years and has become one of top names in metal music.

The climb to the top has required this sort of sense of direction and a thick skin. On the way there Floor has come across byllying, a lot of bad mouthing and one burnout.

Friendship with Tarja

Nightwish booked Floor as a vocalist for the first time in 2012. Back then the previous singer Anette Olzon quit the band in the middle of the Imaginaerum-tour.

- We quickly became a tight group, Floor tells about the assembly’s early days. Now she’s smiling.

Nightwish’s first singer Tarja Turunen was fired from the band via open letter in 2005. Firing came as a shock to Tarja, which made her cry daily. In 2013 Anette Olzon told in an interview with MeNaiset that also she was fired suddenly and before that the band members had decided almost everything for her.

Nightwish’s other members have denied the allegations made by the ex-singers.

Floor doesn’t want to speak out about the conflicts between the band and previous singers. She and Tarja are on warm terms. They have performed duets together and Tarja has dedicated songs to Floor in her own concerts. At the moment they don’t get to see each other often though since Tarja lives in Argentina.

- We are good friends with Tarja. There has never been any problems between us. Whatever Tarja and the other members have between them, it doesn’t affect me, Floor says.

- I think Tarja is a fantastically beautiful woman, with a strong personality.

Not caring about bullying

“Good, ordinary and positive”. These are the words Floor describes her childhood in Holland. The family that included Floor, parents and also a little sister, moved often and usually didn’t live in a town longer than two years.

Young Floor wasn’t interested in performing.

- I was bullied, so standing in front of an audience wasn’t something I would have wanted to do. I didn’t want the attention, Floor tells.

The spark for performing was born when in her final year the school organized a musical. Big roles went to the popular kids but Floor was enjoying her small part in the background wholeheartedly. She stood on stage holding a fruit basket, feeling proud about herself.

- It was a magical feeling standing on stage in front of my bullies full of courage. I don’t have anything to prove to them anymore, but back then it was amazing, she recalls.

- In my case bullying only led to me becoming braver. I wanted to show to my bullies that I can be exactly myself.

Feeling like a winner made Floor continue performing. At 14 Floor got the lead role of a school play ’Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat’ based on Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical. She joined the school band, took part in new plays, made her own music and learned to play the guitar.

A stop to learn from

At the end of 1990’s Floor did small gigs for friends’ birthday parties. In one she was asked to join a metal band as a backup singer.

That band, After Forever, was up and running for 12 years. Because the urge to sing in a metal band didn’t go away, Floor founded the band ReVamp. Two years later the band had to be put on hold, since Floor suffered from burnout.

- I had too many things to do at once and I wasn’t working in a way that suits me best. I was so exhausted. I couldn’t do anything for over a year, she describes.

- The accumulation of a burnout takes years. Getting rid of it takes as long.

The meltdown taught Floor a lot. She understood that exhaustion didn’t come from the amount of work, but from the way she was working. Earlier she would press on so stressed, that she would fall ill always when a vacation came around. When free time was spend getting better, there was no time for really relaxing.

She was still recovering when Nightwish invited Floor along to the US tour in 2012.

- I had basically no time to think, pack and learn the songs. Suddenly I was onstage in front of people, Floor tells.

- Of course I was scared at first, but taking that leap was good for me. I wondered what on earth had I been doing lying on the couch, Floor laughs.

In 2013 the position in Nightwish became permanent for the singer. A year later Floor packed her things and moved from Holland to Joensuu. The band's front man Tuomas Holopainen lives about a 100 kilometers away in Kitee, the birth place of Nightwish.

- We spend a lot time together with the band. People bring their spouses and companions to social evenings. We are like one family, Floor tells.

- I had thought about moving anyway and I chose Finland, since I wanted to learn to speak the language properly. I think I’m a better fit up North than in Holland.

- I noticed I liked everything about Finland. Finnish aren’t fake. Dutch are much more superficial.

Salty liquorice and internet hate

Instead of her new home Floor more often falls asleep in a hotel room's bed. The singer’s weeks are spent sweating on stage. Floor believes that she has learned to work in a way that she relaxes too.

- Now I try to actually have a vacation on holidays and relax every day. I have learned to say no, she tells.

- Turning work down isn’t easy to me, since I have such a fire and passion for what I do.

Floor takes care of herself in the gym and having massages regularly. Taking care of your health is a must. Floor can’t even imagine living the mythical rock star life with booze and partying.

- Bands who do that, don’t live more than a couple of years, since they face problems with their health. The lifestyle may sound cool, but it is physically impossible, Floor tells.

Trendy diets are not Floor’s thing. She doesn’t eat meat since she finds its production questionable. One Finnish specialty Floor is hooked on.

- I love salty liquorice ice cream!

She gets to buy her ice creams quite peacefully since fans don’t swarm around her in her hometown Joensuu or even in Helsinki. Sometimes she gets the feeling everyone is watching though.

- When I go to buy bread after a workout at the gym my face all red and sweaty, I hope no one recognizes me.

In her own music genre Floor is very well known. Most fans accepted her in Nightwish with open arms. But she gets critique too. Some for example claim Floor joined the band only for money. Also her voice and clothes have caused all sorts of views.

- Everyone has the right to their opinion. I however don’t understand how people talking online think they know me, Floor snorts.

- And I really don’t understand that if someone really doesn’t like me, they set up a hate site and spend all their time there.

A found soulmate

Now the most important things to Floor are family, friends and Nightwish. The singer flees to Holland for a vacation whenever possible. There, with her parents and mixed breed dog, she can be exactly who she wants to be.

- They are the rare few who saw me grow up and know who I was before Nightwish. To them I’m a girl who lies on the couch with baggy pants and watches TV, Floor tells.

In the future Floor hopes to find the perfect balance to work and her personal life. A subject she wrote about in the song ‘Wolf and Dog’ released a few years ago.

- In the song the dog represent my life at home: the desire to sleep in the same place and be with the people I love. The wolf represent my work, which is sometimes wild and social. Between wolf and dog lies my happiness, Floor says.

Even though work at the moment comes first to her, Floor doesn’t rule out getting married and having children.

- They would be building blocks to a good, balanced life, Floor smiles.

Love she has already found.

- I have found my soulmate. I have the love of my life in my life, she reveals.

- I have a lot of people around me, who care about me. Without them I wouldn’t have an amazing career or anything at all.

(picture text: “Finnish is a very hard and complex language. I have always liked it though. It is beautiful and unique. I can read a little in Finnish, I understand a little, but I can’t speak it”, Floor tells.)

Thanks for posting up this translation :) It's interesting to hear how Floor has learned to find a better balance between work and down-time which is much more positive for her health, I think a lot of people can relate to the struggle to find that balance.   It's very difficult and I have a lot of admiration for her.

Salty liquorice ice cream...hmm...not sure if that's my cuppa tea lol.  Sounds like she's really enjoying it in Finland though! 

Floor just seems so likeable and down to earth.

Thiu as for finnish women, she clearly havent seen me. Well just kiddin'

"I have found my soulmate. I have the love of my life in my life"

That's a wonderful heartfelt line. Floor is certainly a very special person, she feels very real and warm. She's the best. Happy for your happiness miss Jansen!

I'm happy for her, but just hope she doesn't end up giving all those cheesy interviews to Finnish media about her relationship every year like Tarja does. :P

I'm happy for her, but just hope she doesn't end up giving all those cheesy interviews to Finnish media about her relationship every year like Tarja does. :P

I'd the chance is pretty big for that. Finnish massmedia sucks. Pretty much the same everywhere these days, I guess, but there really aren't that many good interviewers anymore here. It would be great to have somebody like Klaus Flaming (a long time Finnish metal-radiohost), for example, interviewing Floor. That would be an in-depth interview on how her career has been, for sure.

Thank you Afrodite!

Floor as an artist and a woman in a creative career is so inspiring to me. When I first came across her, it was her voice that amazed me, but reading her interviews, she's so inspiring. I don't know her in real life, but that's not what it's about for me, it's what she represents to me that makes me admire her so much. And her divine voice of course. It's interesting to read, she comes across so human, and it's nice she feels confident enough to share the hard parts.

Licorice ice cream is so good!

I doubt metal music is the primary interest for an average reader of Me Naiset.