Sign in to follow this  
some_dude_on_the_interwebs

Edenbridge

40 posts in this topic

I am a bit surprised that there isn't an Edenbridge thread already, at least if the index post is any indication.

According to Wikipedia,

Edenbridge is a symphonic metal band from Austria. Established in 1998, the band has so far published eight studio albums.

Which means that either

1. they developed their early sound, which is very early-Nightwish-y more or less independently, or

2. they bought Oceanborn upon release and said to each other "we want to make music this powerful, but we'll still sound like our own selves"

The fact that Lanvall maintains that he isn't crazy about Nightwish (which is, of course, pretty ironic) seems to weigh in favor of 1.

Either way with their first album, Sunrise In Eden, you get nice early-Kate-Bush-y soprano singing, fine traditional/power metal guitars and drumming - the rhythm section sounds more raw and "live" than any Nightwish album, which is a definite plus for me - and strong songwriting.

In fact, it is strangely markedly similar to early Nightwish, sound-wise, and very different, songwriting-wise.

They later lost much of the power metal edge; however I find their later albums are more bland.

Oh, apparently they have a box set coming out: http://www.edenbridge.org/en/main/

I think Edenbridge haver their own, more progressive style (than Nightwish). I do like their latest album "The Bonding", espcially "Mystic River" is a great song. It is one of the few (good produced) orchestral and bombastic symphonic metal albums.

I think Edenbridge haver their own, more progressive style (than Nightwish)

Sure, I used the exact words "sounding like their own selves".

But there is a definite affinity - especially noticeable at the time, when there were no more than 3 or 4 power metal bands with a soprano singer,  keyboards and fantasy lyrics.

I do like their latest album "The Bonding", espcially "Mystic River" is a great song. It is one of the few (good produced) orchestral and bombastic symphonic metal albums.

^ agreed.

Edenbridge will release the new album "The Great Momentum" in February 2017 and started a crowdfunding campaign.

A statement from their Facebook-page:

EDENBRIDGE RELEASE NEW ALBUM
"THE GREAT MOMENTUM“!!!

EDENBRIDGE will enter the studio in June to record their 9th full length album „THE GREAT MOMENTUM“. The album will be released by Steamhammer/SPV in February 2017!

Lanvall: „A full year of songwriting and arranging lies past me and I am really looking forward to the actual start of the recordings now. After the quiet and melancholic debut „Everflow“ of the acoustic project VOICIANO and the huge 6 DVD documentation „A Decade And A Half..The History So far“ about the first 15 years of EDENBRIDGE, it was time to focus on new, symphonic and bombastic sound territories again!

I am extremely happy with the new songs, cause they continue our trademark style on one hand, but integrate a lot of new facets in our sound on the other. The music seems to be heavier than on our predecessor „The Bonding“ and the orchestra parts and chorusses are even more concise and bombastic than in the past!

„The Great Momentum“ for me, transports everything that EDENBRIDGE stands for in the year 2016. This goes from the short, sentimental ballad „Only A Whiff Of Life“ to the monumental 12 minutes longtrack „The Greatest Gift Of All“.

Furthermore Sabine and I co-worked on 5 of 9 lyrics. We started this creative process on our acoustic project VOICIANO and I believe that songs like „A Turnaround In Art“, „The Die Is Not Cast“ and „Return To Grace“ are wonderful witnesses!“

Sabine: „Our new creations show, that we had no standstill, although the frequency of our album releases has larger intervals than in the past. It simply takes time to let such a sophisticated production grow and EDENBRIDGE stands for quality and not quantity!

Our co-working process on the lyrics was absolutely amazing again as already mentioned. Lanvall and I are highly complementing one another and the result is profound and hopefully inspiring again for libertines, like we are!

I still feel constant development in my voice although I relatively don´t sing that much in rest periods. Still I am working on expression and dynamics and to record a new album is motivating me even more to discover and allow new nuances in my voice. All in all I can just say: a lot of things happened in our lives and this can be heard and felt on our new album!“

In the course of the album recordings, EDENBRIDGE start a big new crowdfunding campaign again.

Finally we have news from Edenbridge! :music: They have always been one of my favourite bands, though I find their 2 or 3 latest albms not as powerful as they used to be. But in the past they were as good as Nightwish, sometimes even more. Actually, I find their debut Sunrise in Eden far better than Angels Fall First: much more complex and solid. They don't play exactly the same metal genre and their vocalists' vocal range is totally dfferent but both bands' career have evolved in a parallel way. Arcana and Aphelion are their Oceanborn and Wishmaster: classical power metal albums with their respective sequels. And from 2005-2008, their stuff is more oriented to the progressive vibe that Once and Dark Passion Play had. Finally, their most recent works have been incorporating more and more orchestra.

That's why I think Edenbridge are the "belated Nightwish". But since Nightwish left the "old school 90s metal", Edenbridge have kinda become their successors. Look at the similarity between Nemo and Higher. Do you agree?

And tell me if this song doesn't have the influence of Stargazers. Even the lyrics deal with the same topics. ;)

I like both eras of Edenbridge.  The only album I have trouble getting into is "The Grand Design" - it's kind of an awkward transitional album that's somewhere between what they did in the past and what they're doing now.  Sometimes transitional albums are absolutely great ("Century Child" by NW, "Reckoning Night" by Sonata Arctica), but quite a few of them are confused messes.  Even then, TGD has a couple great songs like "Terra Nova" and the title track.  

My favorite of their neoclassical power metal albums is "Arcana" - such a beautiful, atmospheric album.  Everything flows smoothly.  Lovely vocals.  Just all around goodness.  

My favorite of  their more cinematic albums is "Solitaire" - a lot of awesome riffs on there, and it's probably the heaviest album they've done.

Very underrated band I was to up on there last two albums they were good but it was no MyEarthDream, Shine or Arcana. I find Aphelion to be very underrated and Sunrise in Eden to be the best debut album I ever heard out side of Delain and The Grand Design I find it to be there weak album.

But besides that they are the one band I wish I could see live but they don't tour like really at all so I find it a shame that I will never get that chance.

Out side of Delain I would say they are perhaps my favorite. Lanvall is perhaps my favorite guitar player of all time I love is guitar work and his solos. 

Sabine is not the best singer but it's just something about it the emotion she brings to the songs that I really enjoy. 

I thought Arcana and Aphelion were excellent albums (I still have yet to hear their first one), but anything since just sounded a bit generic, IMO. 

I thought Arcana and Aphelion were excellent albums (I still have yet to hear their first one), but anything since just sounded a bit generic, IMO. 

Knowing you're a fan of traditional metal, you are gonna like it.

I agree about their subsequent output.

And Jeff, say, have you ever heard of All About Eve?

Knowing you're a fan of traditional metal, you are gonna like it.

I agree about their subsequent output.

And Jeff, say, have you ever heard of All About Eve?

I'll have to find that album. Is it one that's readily available, or is it one which the trader on GEMM like to try milking you for?

No, I haven't heard of them. I'll have to give them a listen sometime. It's 0115 here now, so a little late for playing music. 

Preorders for "The Great Momentum" are now up!  I ordered mine through http://www.edenbridgefanclub.org/ :) 

https://edenbridge.lnk.to/TheGreatMomentum
There are samples here!  This is giving me "MyEarthDream" vibes in some ways - it seems a bit more progressive and a bit less ballad-heavy than "The Bonding".  That being said, these are 30 second samples - won't know anything for sure until we hear the full songs of course!  I would have used the Amazon link provided there, but it said "currently unavailable".  Besides, the one on their official store is signed. :P

EDIT:
No longer "currently unavailable" at Amazon.  Huzzah and such. :P

New lyric video and first single "Shiantara". I like it, indeed it seems this album will be heavier than "The Bonding".

Sounds amazing! :clap: I'm new to Edenbridge, but I really liked Shiantara and I've heard one or two songs from previous albums. I liked what I've heard (I opened a thread in the Spanish forum), so I'm looking forward to The Great Momentum! :horns:

Which album would you recommend me for starting? :music:

Which album would you recommend me for starting? :music:

I find the debut album to be by far their best release.

For context, I also find Oceanborn and AFF to be the peak of Nightwish, so if you are a DPP kind of guy chances are you might be best served by a different release :)

I'll do, thanks :) I'm listening to Sunrise in Eden right now :music:

EDIT: I listened Shine, and I liked it a bit more than Sunrise in Eden! My favorite track is the title-song. Both albums are really good. Now, on to Arcana! :dwarf:

EDIT: I listened Shine, and I liked it a bit more than Sunrise in Eden! My favorite track is the title-song. Both albums are really good. Now, on to Arcana! :dwarf:

Any album is really good by Edenbridge really just depends on what you like. Also I would not compare them to Nightwish.

Any album is really good by Edenbridge really just depends on what you like. Also I would not compare them to Nightwish.

Well that's true! I've listened to most of the songs of The Bonding now, and, though really different to the early stuff, it's beautiful too! I need more time to listen the other albums yet, it usually takes me time to listen ALL the albums of a new band in a week (and Edenbridge has a quite huge discography!!). But as of what I've heard they're becoming one of my favorite bands! :D

Well that's true! I've listened to most of the songs of The Bonding now, and, though really different to the early stuff, it's beautiful too! I need more time to listen the other albums yet, it usually takes me time to listen ALL the albums of a new band in a week (and Edenbridge has a quite huge discography!!). But as of what I've heard they're becoming one of my favorite bands! :D

And don't count on seeing them live. They don't really tour like much at all.