JRA

What old songs need to be played live with Floor?

153 posts in this topic

Nightwish ARE symphonic metal. They stopped playing Power Metal by Century Child. They have nowadays more in common with bands like Therion, Epica and even Haggard than with Helloween or Stratovarius. You had three albums where they were basically Stratovarius with a chick. And guess what? Didn't work, so they changed styles.  Yes, Symphonic metal lacks guitar solos and is even more orchestra oriented, but that'd the point, that's why they are symphonic metal...

You had three albums where they were basically Stratovarius with a chick. And guess what? Didn't work, so they changed styles.

Ahem, actually the albums from Oceanborn to Century Child work very well for me :P

I'm also really happy to see there are so many people who don't believe the GLS hype.  3 minutes of backing tape indeed.  That song could have been a golden opportunity to interweave bass and guitar with a symphony.  That song for all its acclaim should have had one of the greatest guitar solos of all time.  But nope, instead the guitars and bass serve as an over trebley bass line for symphonies, which is unfortunately a common theme I notice in most of the material from Once on. 

Nah, I believe it's a very good song.

It's just that I find that the shtick where the band leaves the stage for three minutes while the crew fiddles with lighting for three minutes is very... anticlimatic in a live setting.

The problem with Swanheart is half of it's magic comes from the dozens of vocal tracks in the studio.

Nah, it's just a good song. Check out the fully live, tape-less version from From Wishes To Eternity.

Of course the countermelody does help a lot.

And while Tarja did a decent job of it during her symphony with drums tour or whatever, (The FWTE version is lame) it's just not going to work with one vocalist.  Maybe if by some miracle the band can get Tarja, Anette and Floor for one night then it could work.

*cough* Marco *cough* Troy *cough* :P

You had three albums where they were basically Stratovarius with a chick. And guess what? Didn't work, so they changed styles. 

"Didn't work" is a statement not supported by any sort of facts whatsoever, and there are many who would disagree with you.

I also don't consider symphonic metal a "sub-genre" but that's neither her nor there.

Let's get back on topic.

And while Tarja did a decent job of it during her symphony with drums tour or whatever, (The FWTE version is lame) it's just not going to work with one vocalist.  Maybe if by some miracle the band can get Tarja, Anette and Floor for one night then it could work.

*cough* Marco *cough* Troy *cough*  :P

Not a bad idea, but I get the feeling it wouldn't be as effective.  Also I must be really out of the loop cos I didn't realize Troy ever did backing vocals.

Not a bad idea, but I get the feeling it wouldn't be as effective.

Well, if you want 100% effective there's the backing tape, but we've already talked about this.

In the immortal words of Adrian Belew, you have to be happy with what you have to be happy with :)

Also I must be really out of the loop cos I didn't realize Troy ever did backing vocals.

Donockley is an accomplished singer and he does do backing vocals (and some damn fine guitar work) on stage these days.

If I am not mistaken he actually sings lead on parts of My Walden.

Donockley is an accomplished singer and he does do backing vocals (and some damn fine guitar work) on stage these days.

If I am not mistaken he actually sings lead on parts of My Walden.

Damn, you ain't kidding.  Troy should just drop the pipes and have Nightwish finally become a twin guitar act I say.

Anyways, I just realized I never got the chance to respond to other people’s picks.  Or at least my favorite one’s that I didn’t mention.

Beauty & The Beast:  Now that I’m aware Troy is a singer, this would be a great Floor & Troy duet!  (Though a few people have mentioned it should played instead of BOTB which I disagree with).

CROWNLESS: YES! YES! YES! YES!   I’M TYPING IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE THIS SONG UNLEASHES THE FURY!  ARE YOU READY TO UNLEASH THE FURY!? 

Fantasmic:  This would have been my first draft pick over Dead Boy’s Poem if the latter didn’t have such an acclaimed history with Nightwish.  I was also negligent for fear they would just bring back “Part 3” out of laziness.  I never understood why they never did the whole thing live.

Cadence of Her Last Breath:  I’m not crazy about the Annette era or “groove” like songs in general but this song rules.  I’d like to hear this rather than Symptom of the Universe ripoff to the Wolves fo sho.

Sacrament of Wilderness:  Obvious choice for obvious reasons.  Again, if its good enough for Annette it’s more than good enough for Floor.

Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean:  THAT RIFF!  Also the visual of Floor Jansen’s headbanging followed by the Operatic “AHs” in the trashy bridge would be worth the full price of a ticket alone.

Know Why The Nightingale Sings at least once.

How bout at least one whole tour? :)  

Edited to change the font back to default and to remove swearing. - Dandelion

Know Why The Nightingale Sings at least once.

How bout at least one whole tour? :)  

25074673.jpg

8985d1462884247-shipping-statuses-borat_

^ Where were you guys before? That song never gets any love. 

I would also like to add Sleepwalker. Sure it was geared as a Eurovision song, but its so ethereal and themes with The Siren.

^ Where were you guys before? That song never gets any love. 

I was trying to keep my number of picks conservative.  I do believe the first line of my OP was "the correct answer is all of them."

Except Sleepwalker.  You're on your own with that one.

Not really. I like Sleepwalker as well which is a great song cconsidering it was written for Eurovision and I would like to hear Floor's take on it, whether rock vocals or classical vocals doesn't matter.

I find Sleepwalker a perfectly cromulent song, if a bit predictable.

Nightwish have had worse singles.

Maybe, but they often put the worst songs as singles. ;)

I hate to derail my own topic again (I have a really bad habit of that) but what the hell was the first single from Wishmaster?  Some sources say it was the title track, other sources say it was Deep Silent Complete and other sources say it was The Kinslayer.  The album never had a music video (too ashamed from SoW?) so it's hard to tell.

I think that first single from Wishmaster album was The Kinslayer (29 May 2000) https://www.discogs.com/Nightwish-The-Kinslayer/release/2392956
Then Sleepwalker (18 Jul 2000) https://www.discogs.com/Nightwish-Sleepwalker/release/2318958
And for last single was Deep Silent Complete (31 Jul 2000) https://www.discogs.com/Nightwish-Deep-Silent-Complete/release/1652666

For all intents and purposes, Deep Silent Complete was the only "proper" single from the album. It's not uncommon for bands to have obscure singles and EP's released in only a select few countries due to having different labels in different parts of the world. A good example of this would be Over the Hills and Far Away which is officially just a 4 track single/EP as that's how it was originally released in Finland by Spinefarm. All the international editions basically just slapped on random tracks from Finnish CD release of From Wishes to Eternity. Sleepwalker isn't technically part of Wishmaster. Of course, you could argue the same about Sleeping Sun and Oceanborn but in that case it feels more like the band has retroactively made it part of the album (it's quite difficult to find a printing of it without Sleeping Sun included these days, not to mention that unlike Sleepwalker it's not really touted as a bonus track).

Back on topic, I was listening to Devil & the Deep Dark Ocean earlier. It's not exactly a favourite of mine, but I was thinking how cool it would be if the band performed it with Floor doing the clean vocals and Alissa White-Gluz doing the grunts and harmony vocals during the clean parts. I mean, I'm sure Floor could do the grunts herself but the lyrics are supposed to be a dialogue right?

Back on topic, I was listening to Devil & the Deep Dark Ocean earlier. It's not exactly a favourite of mine, but I was thinking how cool it would be if the band performed it with Floor doing the clean vocals and Alissa White-Gluz doing the grunts and harmony vocals during the clean parts. I mean, I'm sure Floor could do the grunts herself but the lyrics are supposed to be a dialogue right?

akfsakjfasdkfja;fnYes yes yes yes yes yes this is something I've always fantasized about.  Alissa could also do Tapio's vocals on Pharoah Sails To Orion as well

akfsakjfasdkfja;fnYes yes yes yes yes yes this is something I've always fantasized about.  Alissa could also do Tapio's vocals on Pharoah Sails To Orion as well

Or you know, they could just get a proper singer, instead of that horrible woman.

Or even better, leave it to Marco in his thrash metal voice.

I hate lots of people, but I find White-Gluz unsufferable, both her work and her obnoxious public persona.

Or you know, they could just get a proper singer, instead of that horrible woman.

Or even better, leave it to Marco in his thrash metal voice.

I hate lots of people, but I find White-Gluz unsufferable, both her work and her obnoxious public persona.

I think she would sound amazing, but same here, I respect that she acts like herself and voices her opinions about veganism and animal rights but she comes off as someone who will storm off angrily on you if she sees you eating a taco.

Y'all do know Floor preaches veganism too right?

She's a vegetarian and other than saying stuff like, "Hey, this is working for me, maybe consider it," every so often, I can't recall any time she's done anything that could be considered "preaching."

I don't follow Alissa that closely, but man I just do not care what causes singers/public figures choose to champion. I am fully capable of reading their opinions and either agreeing or disregarding them as I see fit.

She's a vegetarian and other than saying stuff like, "Hey, this is working for me, maybe consider it," every so often, I can't recall any time she's done anything that could be considered "preaching."

I find her whole public persona rather annoying, frankly, not just the vegan issue.

As a former strict vegetarian, though, I do believe people like White-Gluz are the reason why vegetarians are generally considered an annoyance.

What bothers me more is her support of PETA: supporting PETA almost automatically translates to waging war on science.

Then again in general I don't like entertainers preaching. They do more harm than good.

I still have to get over Liv Kristine preaching against nuclear power and in favor of coal in the wake of the Fukushima incident.

Oh I was talking about Floor; she hardly ever mentions her vegetarianism and when she does it's nothing like what AWG does.

Yeah, the PETA thing bothers me too. Their issues are well documented and there are plenty of other organizations to get behind with the same animal welfare goals.

Then again in general I don't like entertainers preaching. They do more harm than good.

I still have to get over Liv Kristine preaching against nuclear power and in favor of coal in the wake of the Fukushima incident.

Wait, what? That's absolutely ridiculous

There were one or two posts on her Facespace, which is now down :(

I confess I added the "in favour of coal" bit myself, but that's about the only logical conclusion since her post called for "shutting down all the nuclear plants now" or something like that.

There were one or two posts on her Facespace, which is now down :(

I confess I added the "in favour of coal" bit myself, but that's about the only logical conclusion since her post called for "shutting down all the nuclear plants now" or something like that.

I mean....nuclear waste is a bad thing.