JRA

What old songs need to be played live with Floor?

174 posts in this topic

That riff appears later on in the song as well. And it's not like they can't re-arrange it a bit. It doesn't have to be strictly either or. That's the beauty of live performances. Improvisation is allowed, and should be encouraged.

OK. First post newb here, and I am going to try to make this a top-shelf first past. And why not dredge up an old topic that may now be relevant with the Decades tour about to launch?

First off, I'd give these a thumbs-up....

On 6/15/2016 at 9:56 PM, GhostHell said:

Elvenpath - Simply because is such a great song and also very nostalgic. It has a good balance between operatic and normal vocals, perfect for Floor to sing. Not to mention that we need some material from AFF on the setlist.

[...]

Walking in the Air - She proved with EFMB that she can sing in a very low and sweetened ethereal tone, so I guess it would sound pretty good in her voice. Every Nightwish vocalist must sing it too.

[...]

Cadence of Her Last Breath - I was hoping that it could be included on the EFMB tour, but so far nothing happened. Floor belting this song with full power would be heaven. Also a favourite of Marco, and of myself.

On 8/16/2016 at 3:13 PM, Fluffis said:

Gethsemane

[...]

Come Cover Me

And that ...

But I found this thread a golden treasure for one thing: the following video:

On 3/27/2017 at 4:51 AM, Harvest said:

Now, I suppose I have to pass the initiation test, which I presume involves making some comment about past Nightwish singers and rendering an opinion. Thus, I shall.
First off, I can't say I give a lot of time to any works with Olzen in it. In other words,  when I heard "Slow love Slow" with Olzen, I was rather underwhelmed and considered it the obligatory "even the best bands have to throw out a total lemon" song.

Then I heard this version, sung by Floor, and my immediate thought was "Holy crap, is it warm in here, or is it just me?" In other words, I am sure that future social scientists will trace an uptick in the birth rate of Scandinavian countries simply due to any future versions of this song.

Now, having plowed through seven pages of commentary, there is one song that I really quite like that hasn't made the list so far:

Riddler.

I know, it's a bit of a quick, poppy, upbeat hit, but hey, I like it and it hasn't been mentioned, so I will.

Oh, quick bio if anyone cares: 52-year-old Canadian, grew up on what I'd call "old-school metal," (ie: early Judas Priest, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Queensryche) along with a dose of eclectic other things (Rush, Loreena McKennit, Jethro Tull, etc.)  Buddy turned me on to Nightwish about three months ago, and after having previous declared the last decent album to be made in 1986 (Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime") admit that I clearly mis-informed. I've since been overdosing on Nightwish/Delain/Within Temptation/Metalwings and other such goodies: the music I like isn't dead at all, it just isn't being made in North America any more.

@Moving Pictures: Welcome!

2 hours ago, Moving Pictures said:

Oh, quick bio if anyone cares: 52-year-old Canadian

@Unstrung, @JRA, are you sure you two haven't started breeding or something?

3 hours ago, Moving Pictures said:

Oh, quick bio if anyone cares: 52-year-old Canadian, grew up on what I'd call "old-school metal," (ie: early Judas Priest, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Queensryche) along with a dose of eclectic other things (Rush, Loreena McKennit, Jethro Tull, etc.) 

:)

You'll fit right in :)

3 hours ago, Moving Pictures said:

Buddy turned me on to Nightwish about three months ago, and after having previous declared the last decent album to be made in 1986 (Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime") admit that I clearly mis-informed

You might find the TOP-100 album thread or TOP-100 song thread interesting :)

5 hours ago, Moving Pictures said:

Now, I suppose I have to pass the initiation test, which I presume involves making some comment about past Nightwish singers and rendering an opinion. Thus, I shall.

First off, I can't say I give a lot of time to any works with Olzen in it. In other words,  when I heard "Slow love Slow" with Olzen, I was rather underwhelmed and considered it the obligatory "even the best bands have to throw out a total lemon" song.

Then I heard this version, sung by Floor, and my immediate thought was "Holy crap, is it warm in here, or is it just me?" In other words, I am sure that future social scientists will trace an uptick in the birth rate of Scandinavian countries simply due to any future versions of this song.

I think the opposite... I love Anette's SLS, I can feel a lot of emotions and I think it's one of her best performances, and the best ballad they did with her... But I simply can't enjoy Floor's, for many reasons. She just doesn't fit with it. Just my opinion.

About The Riddler though... that would be so freaking awesome :D I love it as well.

8 hours ago, Moving Pictures said:

OK. First post newb here, and I am going to try to make this a top-shelf first past. And why not dredge up an old topic that may now be relevant with the Decades tour about to launch?

First off, I'd give these a thumbs-up....

And that ...

But I found this thread a golden treasure for one thing: the following video:

Now, having plowed through seven pages of commentary, there is one song that I really quite like that hasn't made the list so far:

Riddler.

I know, it's a bit of a quick, poppy, upbeat hit, but hey, I like it and it hasn't been mentioned, so I will.

Oh, quick bio if anyone cares: 52-year-old Canadian, grew up on what I'd call "old-school metal," (ie: early Judas Priest, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Queensryche) along with a dose of eclectic other things (Rush, Loreena McKennit, Jethro Tull, etc.)  Buddy turned me on to Nightwish about three months ago, and after having previous declared the last decent album to be made in 1986 (Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime") admit that I clearly mis-informed. I've since been overdosing on Nightwish/Delain/Within Temptation/Metalwings and other such goodies: the music I like isn't dead at all, it just isn't being made in North America any more.

Riddler is a fine tune, would love to hear Floor do it, its just not the first song that comes to mind considering the album its on.

Also, welcome.

I want to hear Floor sing this song now. Especially after a few years of singing softer with EFMB songs. I feel like it would sound splendid.

Seconded. That song would propably also benefit from Kai's more dynamic drumming and Marco or Troy accompanying Emppu for the clean intro.

I'm really hoping they consider bringing back FantasMic (one of my favourite Tarja-era Nightwish songs), at least for the European leg of the tour. The full song, that is - not just the last section of it. Something for the whole band to really get stuck into. Hit it right off with Tuomas's keyboards at the start. Floor could easily handle the vocals and there are some great harmony opportunities for the other two singers to get involved in too. Nice driving first section, then bring Floor's gentler vocals through before Emppu comes soaring in with that wonderful guitar solo. Troy on the flute part, followed by Emppu and Troy nailing the harmonising guitar section. It would be a spectacle! 
Dare I say it could even replace Ghost Love Score as the 'big finale piece'? As much as I love GLS, bringing back an old classic from Wishmaster would be amazing.

uhm.... all? Is that an option? I lately discovered that as much as I love the new soundtracky and folky vibe the band now has, I also miss the early songs like crazy. I'm beyond excited about the Decades tour, I'd like to hear Elvenpath, Beauty and the Beast, Astral Romance, the devil and the pharaoh, The riddler, Stargazers, Nightquest, She is my sin, Kinslayer, Fantasmic, Come cover me, Wanderlust, Dead boy's poem, Crownless... the rest have been more or less played, but I'd die for these old tracks. And though GLS has been played to death, I couldn't possibly imagine a Decades tour without it. 

Edit: apparently I'm behind with the news. They did play most of them and they all sound fantastic. They played the devil, I'm so excited! Marco is not the best replacement for Wilska, but Floor more than makes up for it. Yes, I am a giggling fangirl at this point and I have no shame :)

W A N D E R L U S T

Okay seriously. I don't know why, but I fricking love it even though it's quite not what you think of at first when you think of Nightwish.

Everything I want Floor to sing live have come to life with the Decades tour... Gethsemane, Deep Silent Complete, Slaying the Dreamer... hell yeah! It's a dream come true!!!

...well, maybe except for a couple more songs which are:

Cadence of Her Last Breath - I love this song so much and I'm curious to hear how Floor will nail this song live!

Beauty of the Beast - A masterpiece that should be revived again to the setlist. 

Angels Fall First - Pretty sure she'll nail this beautiful song since she's now more confident singing low notes. Plus Troy is already in the band, so yeah!

I'd be glad to hear anyting, her voice works pretty well with the songs in general. (I don't have to mention GLS, I guess.) Elvenpath  and Gethsemane were a nice surprise recenly, even though Elvenpath sounds very different with her. 

The only one I was a bit disappointed with was Song Of Myself, because I thought that with her kind of voice it would have more of a Beauty Of The Beast vibe, and it just... didn't. But it wasn't bad either. And Sleeping Sun and Ever Dream, if you ask me, still sound the best with Tarja, but I do enjoy Floor's versions too. Oh, and I didn't like Scartale, but I just don't like that song in itself so it doesn't count. 

And I believe that this confirms that I wasn't just biased (what some people used to tell me back when topics like this felt like being on a battlefield :P) when I used to complain about Anette's versions of the songs. She just wasn't the kind of voice I wanted to hear when it comes about Nightwish's music. She was as far from it as it can get, actually...

So they can bring anything they like back, I'll be glad to hear it..

Edit:

I've just stumbled upon some live videos of Sacrament Of Wilderness, Devil and The Deep Dark Ocean and End Of All Hope, which I haven't heard until now with Floor, and I don't like those. They lack some kind of depth or colour which the originals do have. 

Oh well... Floor still does a great job with most of the songs, so I won't complain much.

Edited by Sophia
Update

There are many songs that I have been dying to hear again. Most of them never even played live.

- Swanheart
- The Riddler
- Two For Tragedy
- Bare Grace Misery
- FantasMic
- Away
- Forever Yours
- Ocean Soul
- Feel For You
- Beauty of the Beast
- Creek Mary's Blood 
- Eva
- Meadows of Heaven
- For The Heart I Once Had

On 11/20/2018 at 8:36 PM, One Night said:

There are many songs that I have been dying to hear again. Most of them never even played live.

- Swanheart
- The Riddler
- Two For Tragedy
- Bare Grace Misery
- FantasMic
- Away
- Forever Yours
- Ocean Soul
- Feel For You
- Beauty of the Beast
- Creek Mary's Blood 
- Eva
- Meadows of Heaven
- For The Heart I Once Had

Holy Moly, this would be awesome!

My wish list would totally have:

- The Riddler
- Bare Grace Misery
- Wanderlust
- Crownless
- Live To Tell The Tale
- Astral Romance!!!
- Nightquest

Now that we've had the Decades Tour, which was amazing, here are NW songs I would still love to see Floor sing. I hope we get some new oldies on the next tour run.

• Beauty of the Beast
  • Pharaoh Sails to Orion
  • Whoever Brings the Night
  • Meadows of Heaven
  • Escapist
  • Feel For You
  • Tutankhamen
  • Astral Romance
  • Cadence of Her Last Breath
  • Rest Calm
  • Crownless
  • Fantasmic

11 minutes ago, CenturyChild625 said:

Now that we've had the Decades Tour, which was amazing, here are NW songs I would still love to see Floor sing. I hope we get some new oldies on the next tour run.

• Beauty of the Beast
  • Pharaoh Sails to Orion
  • Meadows of Heaven
  • Escapist
  • Feel For You
  • Tutankhamen
  • Astral Romance
  • Rest Calm
  • Crownless
  • Fantasmic

Your top two are my top two.  So no arguments from me.  ;)

I doubt they'll do Whoever Brings the Night, but I would love that.  I didn't think anyone liked that song except for me.  Crownless...would be hilarious if they did this just because it doesn't at all fit their current style, but I'd love this one too.

FantasMic I can actually see them doing...I would be SO THRILLED to see this live.  Please please please.  :)

Also - nice new av!!

1 hour ago, Encaitar said:

Your top two are my top two.  So no arguments from me.  ;)

I doubt they'll do Whoever Brings the Night, but I would love that.  I didn't think anyone liked that song except for me.  Crownless...would be hilarious if they did this just because it doesn't at all fit their current style, but I'd love this one too.

FantasMic I can actually see them doing...I would be SO THRILLED to see this live.  Please please please.  :)

Also - nice new av!!

Whoever Brings the Night is one of those songs that I actually think Floor would own so well. I was just listening to it again, and while Anette of course does a decent job, the song feels like it could really go up a notch if Floor added her strong vocals to it. It might be one of those DPP songs that becomes better with her epic live version :D .

And thanks on the av! It's one of Tim Tronckoe's photos. He's amazing :) .

6 hours ago, CenturyChild625 said:

Whoever Brings the Night is one of those songs that I actually think Floor would own so well. I was just listening to it again, and while Anette of course does a decent job, the song feels like it could really go up a notch if Floor added her strong vocals to it. It might be one of those DPP songs that becomes better with her epic live version :D .

First attempt got eaten so if this appears twice we'll see how close I got...

Floor isn't just a great singer or a great musician. She's also a great performer. The audience engagement and the joy she brings to a live performance makes it a whole other experience. There are lessons in this for me. I'm not Miles Davis, literally turning his back on the crowd but there's much more that could be done. Would I listen to a mere audio version? Of course, but there is so much more live!

Marko is also pretty good at this and the rest of them too in their way. They must be very pleased with how their live performances have been coming off. I hope it encourages them to continue putting the resources behind making these great experiences happen.

18 hours ago, CenturyChild625 said:

• Beauty of the Beast
  • Pharaoh Sails to Orion
  • Meadows of Heaven
  • Escapist
  • Feel For You
  • Tutankhamen
  • Astral Romance
  • Rest Calm
  • Crownless
  • Fantasmic

Ohh yes. Couldn't agree more. Especially Tutankhamen. Floor would totally nail it. I already hear it in my head. But I must stop torturing myself. What are the odds they'd ever play this one? There are none. So I'll cry myself to sleep. Every night. :cry: and then I wake up and start crying again. O Tutankhamen... take me with you through the stargate!

On 4/26/2019 at 9:13 PM, CenturyChild625 said:

• Beauty of the Beast
  • Pharaoh Sails to Orion
  • Meadows of Heaven
  • Escapist
  • Feel For You
  • Tutankhamen
  • Astral Romance
  • Rest Calm
  • Crownless
  • Fantasmic

Definitely agree with Beauty of the Beast. It's a great song and a shame that they've played it comparatively little live.

Before the Decades Tour I would have been sceptical about The Pharaoh, but Devil turned out to be the surprise break-out hit, so it would be nice if they'd give a shot, even though it might mean extra practice sessions for Marko. I've developed a new appreciation for Floor and Marko playing characters, if you so will. Their chemistry is really good, especially if you consider that Marko is kind of handicapped by having to stand in one place while singing. 

I've been thinking that I'd really like them to play Rest Calm, it's the perfect song for three singers. Floor and Marco could share both harsh and soft vocals in the beginning and then all three of them (along with the children choir on tape) can take turns singing the ending. It could be interesting!

10 hours ago, Imagineer said:

I've been thinking that I'd really like them to play Rest Calm, it's the perfect song for three singers. Floor and Marco could share both harsh and soft vocals in the beginning and then all three of them (along with the children choir on tape) can take turns singing the ending. It could be interesting!

Well, I'd LOVE to hear that song (it's one of my favourites) but I think I'd like them to stick with the original structure because I don't really like the idea of them sharing all of the beginning :mda:But the ending could work that way!

Oh yes, definitely Rest Calm. It is one of my dear favourites from Imaginaerum and I have no doubts that Floor will do a good job with this one. Fantasmic and Escapist should also be included on the setlist at some point. The first one would have been perfect for the Decades tour but unfortunately they didn't play it.