Acornshield

Cześć! :)

13 posts in this topic

Hello! :)

My name is Ala, I live in Poland. I've been a fan of the band since 2008 and this year I finally saw them live. I study English philology. My main interests are literature and music. More about me on my profile page. If you have any questions, just ask :)

Hi! 

I hope you'll feel welcome here!

I approve of your username:)

Hi Ala! Thanks for your greeting in my topic. I am also deeply fond of literature, and, though we have different tastes, I can discuss it for hours all the same; among Polish authors I've read Czesław Miłosz, Zbigniew Herbert, Witold Gombrowicz and Mariusz Wilk (being put together, they form a pleasant page of my reading experience), some others just know by name. The book of Adam Mickiewicz's poems stands in my bookshelf and waits for the right moment. 

Hope, you will have nice time here!

Thank you all for welcome words :)

Nikki, it's great to see our Polish authors are known and read abroad! I hope to see a small review of your favourite books somewhere here. Have fun, too!

In turn, it's great to be acquainted with Polish literature at least a little bit! Your culture has a unique worldview to share, and, personally, I think it to be worthy of attention.

If not to plunge into details, I appreciate Marcel Proust, Virginia Woolf, Henry David Thoreau, Walt Whitman, Jack London, Johan Harstad, Halldór Laxness, W.G. Sebald, Robert Musil, Franz Kafka, Susan Sontag, Paul Celan, Friedrich Hölderlin and some other autors; my favorite period in the history of literature is modernism (though I haven't read Joyce yet). I used to love Ray Bradbury and Edgar Allan Poe as well but read them last time too long ago to feel vivid emotions towards what they wrote. 

What thing connected to English philology exactly are you studying, literature or linguistics?

Thank you once again!

If not to plunge into details, I appreciate Marcel Proust, Virginia Woolf, Henry David Thoreau, Walt Whitman, Jack London, Johan Harstad, Halldór Laxness, W.G. Sebald, Robert Musil, Franz Kafka, Susan Sontag, Paul Celan, Friedrich Hölderlin and some other autors; my favorite period in the history of literature is modernism (though I haven't read Joyce yet). I used to love Ray Bradbury and Edgar Allan Poe as well but read them last time too long ago to feel vivid emotions towards what they wrote. 

Don't ever think about posting less then twice a day in the book thread from now on.

You should have known better than mentioning Poe/Bradbury/Kafka in the same post on a forum populated near-exclusively by Tolkien nerds :P

Don't ever think about posting less then twice a day in the book thread from now on.

You should have known better than mentioning Poe/Bradbury/Kafka in the same post on a forum populated near-exclusively by Tolkien nerds :P

Does it mean I'm obliged to turn into this kind of a nerd then? I respect Tolkien for his scholar work, actually. There's a tiny ethnic group in Northern Norway called Kvens which consists of descendants of Finns who emigrated there in the 18th and 19th centuries; as I love both Finnish and Norwegian, the idea of Norwegian Finnish fascinates me; and Tolkien apparently knew about this language when he created Quenya. The ability to create thought-out languages bewitches by itself, no matter what they are based upon, but it adds to warming my heart that someone, especially of such scale, was aware of the existence of these guys. What's more, if I'm not mistaken, Tolkien was able to read Kalevala in Finnish. Isn't it a one more reason to admire him?

I'm thinking over writing there a review on Musil's The Man without Qualities which I've finished lately and now am slowly re-reading, but it takes a lot of time to compose a good text about a book. 

You should have known better than mentioning Poe/Bradbury/Kafka in the same post on a forum populated near-exclusively by Tolkien nerds  :P

Does it mean I'm obliged to turn into this kind of a nerd then?

Quite the opposite. I was jocularly expressing that I would love it if you remained your present self and kept hanging aroung to discuss books :)

I respect Tolkien for his scholar work, actually

I actually love Tolkien. It's just that stuff other than Tolkien (and third rate Tolkien derivatives) is too rarely discussed in here :)

Quite the opposite. I was jocularly expressing that I would love it if you remained your present self and kept hanging aroung to discuss books  :)

Changing one's present self is one of the hardest things to do, so remaining like this I can guarantee.

I actually love Tolkien. It's just that stuff other than Tolkien (and third rate Tolkien derivatives) is too rarely discussed in here  :)

NW should be popularized among philologists: they are superheroes who possess the power to alter the state of affairs!

Someone mentioned Arthur Rimbaud somewhere in the vast of this forum; there might be slight similarities in his and Tuomas' approach to writing poetry, so understanding how the poetic consciousness of the first works may lead to better comprehension of the second. I mean, so many other artists are to give a hand with exploring this music that it's a mistake to confine yourself to Tolkien or fantasy books, even good ones, only.

I hope to see a small review of your favourite books somewhere here. Have fun, too!

Ala, I came across What are you reading now? topic and discovered that our tastes are not so different as it seemed from your profile. I remembered, by the way, that I learned by heart Shelley's sonnet Ozimandias while preparing for the ancient history exam in case I would get a question about Egypt. Why the period of romantisicm is your favourite?

Posts merged. Please be careful not to double post and use the edit button if your previous post is less than two weeks old -WhiteRaven

Welcome to the forum, Ala!

Guys, please take any conversations to PM instead of the intro thread :)