Sign in to follow this  
hunebedbouwer

The art of BALLADS

68 posts in this topic

A thread for the art of proper ballads!

Ofcourse, there is no way to tell which requirements a ballad exactly should have, but you get the drift.

Just three that came to my mind:

Lyle Lovett - 'Simple song'

Nazareth - 'Love hurts'

Deep Purple - 'Soldier of fortune'

Ballad is kind of a broad term, like Hunebedbouwer put it,  but I guess it mostly means relatively quiet and slow song. So it can basically go from powerballads to little piano songs. A few of my favorite ones. 

Angsty ballad by Nine Inch Nails:

NIN - Something I Can Never Have

Ballads about missing:

Michael Schenker Group - Never Ending Nightmare

Garbage - Milk

80's synthballad. Catch as Catch Can is a proof that 80's synthpop had it's jewels as well. 

Kim Wilde - Stay Awhile

Obligatory Metallica-ballad. Ride the Lightning is still one of my favorite records. Must give it a spin again. 

Metallica - Fade to Black

Obligatory Iron Maiden ballad. Jesus, their dedut is good.

Iron Maiden - Remember Tomorrow

Gothic ballads:

The Gathering - Shrink

Anathema - Parisienne Moonlight

The cheesy love ballad. Yeah, you need these ones as well. Besides Lion King rules.

Elton John - Can You Feel the Love Tonight

And one for the world. Lighters up, of course :)

Scorpions - Send Me an Angel

Obligatory Metallica-ballad. Ride the Lightning is still one of my favorite records. Must give it a spin again. 

Metallica - Fade to Black

"Ride The Lightning" got me into Thrash Metal about 32 years ago. I loved this album, listened to it about once per day for more than a year and still think it's their best. It's nearly perfect, maybe apart from "Escape", and "Fade To Black" is not only my favourite (semi-)ballad by Metallica, but also one of the best semi-ballads there are. Another one which comes to my mind is

A few more ballads by Metal bands I like:

Speaking of The Corrs, I like this one:

Talk On Corners is still a great album, almost 20 years later!

A new Corr ballad

This one (Sharon and Anekke duet)

And Roxette

I don't think I need to say more about this song than this: Wacken sings it from start to finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROceZQwpBR0

Not Hansi's best, but this one's about the crowd anyway.

You're absolutely right. No language/age barriers. Just sing and share the passion with thousands of people. Epic.  :horns:

My favourite Blind Guardian ballad:

I'll never forget the day I saw them and played it. Tears were running down my face during the whole song. :cry:

Really nice findings here - especially Warlock and Nazareth  :good:  

One more from Doro

And something from a well known Lady

Yea Lord of the Rings > The Bard's Song.

Let's see, ballads.....

Judas Priest- Beyond The Realms of Death is a standard that has yet to be matched IMO.

All The Fools Sailed Away by Dio still smokes

Does The Ballad of Billy The Kid count? :D

Motorhead's Don't Let Daddy Kiss is soft AND disturbing.

Megadeth's A Tout Le Monde > ANY Metallica ballad.

Actually Two for Tragedy has Emppu's most underrated moment as a soloist.

Couple of songs from Opeth:

and 

Blower's Daughter. Oddly, I don't really care for the original one that much, but when Anneke and Danny Cavanagh sing it. Goosepumps. 

@JRA

A ballad is a ballad. It doesn't have to be one sung by metal bands in particular.

That brings me to the following song: 'Dust in the wind' by Kansas. I think this absolutely gorgeous song, like no other, has brought credibility and admiration to the general public. Suddenly there was this enormously enjoyable song played by one of these drugs taking, binge drinking, guitar smashing, wolflike screaming and longhaired (to the average music lover :music: ) hardrock bands (terms like metal and heavy metal weren't around then). AND the singer could really sing, which was often doubted and taking the mickey of. Even when people got their nose in hardrock and remained a bit disappointed by the rest of their stuff, things had changed a bit. And I think the biggest positive was that people now realized that a lot of these singers had really good voices!

Rockbands also realized that a more tuned down song could bring them a lot of recognition and ofcourse ...money!  So the birth of the term 'rock ballad' was there and it almost became a genre in its own. Especially in the 80's and 90's, lots of heavy bands scored massive hits with ballads and became icons, much more than when they would have stuck to only metal.

I can only speak for the NL, but compilation-cd's with titles like 'Rock ballads' and 'Greatest rock ballads', etc., sold mega good over here. And 'Dust in the wind' always was included. It's also one of the few rock ballads that I never get tired of. Nowadays it seems almost strange if bands don't sing one or two ballads on their releases.

Robert Plant - 'Big log'

The Scorpions were more famous for their ballads than their other stuff. They also released an cd named 'Gold ballads' in 1984 with  just 5 ballads on it. And after that album sold really good, released even more compilation albums with only ballads on it.

The Scorpions - 'Holiday'

Yeah, "The Eldar" is one of their most forgotten ballads. Good song but maybe it's slightly below the average for a BG ballad. The voice work is flawless but when a singer starts screaming in the middle of a quiet song, it ruins the atmosphere.  :rolleyes:

Furthermore, Nightfall in the Middle Earth is full of epic metal anthems and "The Eldar" maybe goes unnoticed among them.

On another subject, here goes a soothing ballad of Onmyouza: 

Beautiful song by Gamma Ray: