Sign in to follow this  
hunebedbouwer

The art of BALLADS

68 posts in this topic

I dare to say, Conception´s music with Roy Khan´s voice is a match made in heaven:

Conception - Silent Crying:

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bruce Springsteen - 'Paradise'

 

 

Alan Parsons Project - 'Old and wise'

 

 

Enya - 'Evening falls'

 

 

Eurythmics - 'The miracle of love'

 

 

 

Nina Simone - 'My father'

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved The miracle of love by Eurythmics, I feel like I haven't listened to it in years. It always reminds me of Stings song Fields of gold because I had them on the same mixtape.

When I hear ballads I mainly think of cheesy early 90's late 80's power ballads (which I love :pardon:

Meat Loaf - I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)

 

Céline Dion - It's All Coming Back To Me Now

Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart 

I just noticed that all these music videos feature large gothic houses :giggle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@silverlining

 

So, you're basically a child of the late 80's and early 90's with a preference for power ballads then................?:D:P So, that means you're somewhere in between 30 and 50 years old........am I right?

Ehhhhhh......ehmmmmm....Celine Dion? You have disappointed me!! And you were so nice on your way to become one of my favourite posters!!!!:giggle:

Did you have this one also on a tape (I used to be the absolute king of making compilation tapes among my family, friends and further a field)..........

Sting - 'St.Agnes and the burning train'

 

Or this one?

Ten Sharp - 'You'

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hunebedbouwer said:

 

 

Ehhhhhh......ehmmmmm....Celine Dion? You have disappointed me!! And you were so nice on your way to become one of my favourite posters!!!!:giggle:

 

Must resist the  sudden urge to annoy @hunebedbouwer. Must resist. Must.

 

No, I can't help my self, must annoy the hell out of @hunebedbouwer

:giggle::giggle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in my 20's but I grew up in Israel so we got everything late:giggle:. I'm pretty sure everyone who was born in the 90's is contractually obligated to have watched Titanic too many times and love Celine Dion, so I can't help it:P. My aunt made me the mixtape (when I eventually made my own they were CD's, and my first one ever had My Heart Will Go On :D, some crappy trance music, Aqua's barbie girl and I think some Britney Spears) it didn't the songs you mentioned but it had this one:

America - A horse with no name

They came to Israel last month, I didn't go but my mom and brother went (they didn't like it, apparently 40 years later they don't sound so good).

All this talk of mixtapes reminded me that when I was in primary school a friend gave me a bootleg CD of Phil Collins, and when I got home and played it my father told me it wasn't him singing! it was an impersonator!! :lol:. So here is the real Phil Collins with a nice ballad:

Phil Collins - Another Day In Paradise

Any one remember Suzanne Vega's song Luka? They played it for us in english class when we did a project about bullying. 

 

I do like a lot of popular music from my day (the 2000's) but I'm not sure why but don't think of them as ballads...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

@Harvest

 

That's actually a very good shout to annoy me big time, my dear Harvest, but you've built up such huge credits over the last 4 years with me, that I just choose to ignore you on all matters Dion-ysos!

Anyway, I posted my Forum Awards votes already and I'm not gonna change them for people who admires a screaming Canadian/ Luxemburgish/Swiss/whatever diva. I do forgive you!! Now, get back to reality!!:P

 

@silverlining

You're only one time zone behind Western Europe.....no excuses there. So, you're in your 120's...........you must have loved dancing on Strauss waltzes back then!!!!!:P:P:P  

Now 'Titanic'..............................................................one of the worst and corniest film ever made....sorry.....:bad::bad::bad: For better film recommendations, I do refer you to the same titled thread:giggle:

'A horse with no name' is a fine song, but this one is better............'Het ei'..........by the way, did they take the horses with them? 

 

   

Sitting on the balustrade of a youth hostel at Lake Tiberias in 1990, I heard this for the first time and (the view/the early evening mood/her voice) gave me goose bumps and the song has been part of my playlist ever.................

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh Israeli music... Both my parents are american and when we moved to Israel I didn't know a word of hebrew, I was really young but it was a still a huge culture shock. So I really hated the language for years and didn't listen to any Israeli music. My parents didn't listen to music in hebrew either so the only exposure to it was the radio that played on the bus to school. Now years later I have this weird nostalgic feeling for a a lot of songs I heard back then, but I don't remember their names or who sang them. Etti Ankri's song is one of those for me (I looked her up apparently she still sings but is pretty religious now). So here are some of the quintessential Israeli ballads (that I remember and that youtube recommended to me when I looked up Etti Ankri :sweat:).

Arik Einstein - guitar and violin. It's a love song about a couple that fit like to two instruments. Arik died in 2013, he was considered one of if not the best musician Israel ever had (even I knew who he was). from his wikipedia page "Through both high public and critical acclamation, Einstein is regarded as the greatest, most popular, and the most influential Israeli artist of all time."

 

Dani Sanderson and Mazi Cohen - it's all for you. Another love song, the guy promises the girl the world and she tries to get him to be more realistic. She call him her Don Quixote, the book was apparently super popular in Israel, Arik Einstein even has a song called Don Quixote. Dani Sanderson is also considered one of the founders of Israeli rock, he was part of the bands Kaveret (Kaveret was only active for a few years in the 70's but the band made a very big impact), Gazoz and Doda. Mazi Cohen was in the band Gazoz with Dani and went on to become a moderately successful singer her self.

  

Lastly Rita - Come. Rita no last name was the most popular Israeli singer when I was growing up, she was always on the radio. She has a very distinctive voice that I hated back then but has grown on me with time. I don't think this is her most popular song it's just the one I remember most. I looked her up and 2011 she started singing in Persian (she is originally from Tehran) and now is popular in Iran, which is kind of crazy but also cool.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

 

 

Now 'Titanic'..............................................................one of the worst and corniest film ever made....sorry.....:bad::bad::bad: For better film recommendations, I do refer you to the same titled thread:giggle:

I kind of enjoyed watching it. The whole production and so on. Cameron has an eye for the visuals. And likes to make large scale movies. Plus some of his earlier work is on my all-time favorite lists (namely Terminator 1&2 and Aliens)  But, granted, that whole Leo & Kate thing was syrup of the worst kind. 

I still remember the time we were watching it in a movie theater with future mrs. Harvest, my brother and his girlfriend, back when it was released. And in the middle of that dramatic sinking scene,  one guy falls from the back of the ship straight to the propeller and flies away spinning. And my younger brother started laughing like crazy  at that guy flying out of the propellers. He received some angry looks from other people in that row. What can you say, my brother has a rather twisted sense of humor.:giggle:

 

 

Now speaking of absolutely corny and cheesy, lovey-dovey, syrup-and-honey-coming-out-your-ears James Horner-ballads and to stay on topic.

Marc Anthony and Tina Arena - I Want to Spend My Lifetime Loving You

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see your cheesy James Horner Zorro song and raise with an even cheesier one about an immigrating mouse (get it? cheesy, mice? :D)

Linda Ronstadt & James Ingram - Somewhere Out There

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, silverlining said:

I'm in my 20's but I grew up in Israel so we got everything late:giggle:. I'm pretty sure everyone who was born in the 90's is contractually obligated to have watched Titanic too many times and love Celine Dion, so I can't help it:P. My aunt made me the mixtape (when I eventually made my own they were CD's, and my first one ever had My Heart Will Go On :D, some crappy trance music, Aqua's barbie girl and I think some Britney Spears) it didn't the songs you mentioned but it had this one:

America - A horse with no name

They came to Israel last month, I didn't go but my mom and brother went (they didn't like it, apparently 40 years later they don't sound so good).

All this talk of mixtapes reminded me that when I was in primary school a friend gave me a bootleg CD of Phil Collins, and when I got home and played it my father told me it wasn't him singing! it was an impersonator!! :lol:. So here is the real Phil Collins with a nice ballad:

Phil Collins - Another Day In Paradise

Any one remember Suzanne Vega's song Luka? They played it for us in english class when we did a project about bullying. 

 

I do like a lot of popular music from my day (the 2000's) but I'm not sure why but don't think of them as ballads...

Love the three!! :D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Harvest

I congratulate you Harvest, 'coz your brother has an excellent sense of humour!!!!!!

 

gis%20animados%20navidad%20(7)_thumb.gif

 

By the way, if you want to stay on topic (the way I Always am), you should resort to 'THE ART OF BALLADS', not these.....:D

 

pPWNYhG.jpg

 

@silverlining

Thanks for the recommendations. I've got the first 3 Etti Ankri albums. Then I lost track of her (no YT and internet then). I do love WORLDMUSIC, you know.......see another thread. Isn't Ofra Haza the biggest Israeli pop star of all times? A bit like the grandmother of music.....

And I know a few American bands too...........:giggle:

@Serena

Stop haunting me!!:dwarf:    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hunebedbouwer said:

 

By the way, if you want to stay on topic (the way I'm Always am), you should resort to 'THE ART OF BALLADS', not these.....:D

I thought we were on topic the way you always are....:D

Besides....

38 minutes ago, silverlining said:

I see your cheesy James Horner Zorro song and raise with an even cheesier one about an immigrating mouse (get it? cheesy, mice? :D)

Linda Ronstadt & James Ingram - Somewhere Out There

Yes, I got it. Ba-dum-tish:D

Fievel is a nice movie, though. 

Staying in the animated films, I will have to go all in with the cheesiest, the most sugary and syrupy, most diabetes-inducing ballad of time. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Harvest

 

That Elton guy has done a few much better songs, not many mind you, than that one.........:D

 

Like these 70's ballads 'Skyline pigeon' and the bit haunting 'Sixty years on', which I absolutely love.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhhhh...a song that I love...a song that has gotten me through life....

Metallica---Nothing Else Matters.......FOREVER TRUST IN WHO WE ARE!!!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this