WhiteRaven

Bonus round: Ask Jukka! [CLOSED] - please read first post

33 posts in this topic

Ask Jukka your questions here!

This thread will be open until September 18.

This thread is exempt from the double posting rule - you are free to double post in this thread. Other than that, general forum rules apply to the questions (keep it clean, etc)

All questions to be in English.

Important: We know that the obvious question everyone wants to ask is "are you feeling better?/ when will you be coming back?". The band has already stated that they don't know yet, so please don't make this the #1 question of the thread.

Well, I'll skip the obvious question then.

Hi, Jukka, first of all, I'd like to tell you how much I miss you in the band. Your image behind the drumkit is one of the signs of identity of NW, but... That doesn't mean I don't like Kai. Just the opposite, if you come back and he has to go I'll miss him too, he's really good on drums and looks a nice person. Nightwish is in good hands with either of you, but it's logical that we, fans, create some emotional links towards all the members that are difficult to avoid.

And now some questions:

1.-What do you feel when you see videos of NW on tour and you are not there? Nostalgia? Relief? Sadness?

2.-Are you making the most of this "free" time? I mean, are you doing something different now, one of those things you always wanted to do and didn't do it because you didn't have time? Or maybe  your new role in the band and the treatment you follow absorbs your time as greedily as before and, in fact, nothing has really changed in your life?

3.-It may sound stupid, but I have always wondered why you always wear that bandana, is it just a matter of image, a promise you made twenty years ago or is there any other hidden reason?

Thanks in advance and I hope you get well soon

• Which EFMB song would you have liked to play?
  • How did you felt when you joined NW live for the 20 anniversary show?
  • In which NW tour did you felt the best? I mean, DPP World Tour, Once Upon a Tour, First Tour of the Angels, etc etc.

A lot of thanks! Greetings!

Hi Jukka! It was great to see you play in Himos! My question is, who is your favourite player in Kiteen pallo? Do you follow their games? (My favourites are Sami Partanen and Ville Posti  :) )

Hi Jukka! Nice to ask you!

Have you ever tried another instrument besides percussion?

Which place will you recommend me to visit in Finland?

hi jukka I'm wondering how your going and if your still struggling with insomnia and are there tips for dealing with insomnia since I've been struggling with it too?

favourite food?

bands your listening to?

video games your currently playing?

do you have any pets?

hope you get well soon

Hi Jukka! First I want to thank you and the whole band for the music and all, you're great!

I hope you're better, we miss you. Kai is a great drummer too and I'll miss him when you come back, but you are one of the symbols of Nightwish. I'm glad you play Last Ride Of The Day on Himos, it was a great moment! My questions:

1. An advice to someone who wants to dedicate himself to music?

2. What memories do you have about the first Nightwish show? How did you felt before and after it?

3. What is the funniest Nightwish song to play live? And the most difficult?

4. Who is your biggest musical idol? And your favourite bands?

5. Who is your favourite drummer?

Thanks and get well soon!

- What is the most difficult Nightwish song to play?

- Being a drummer, do you feel that you have far less interaction with the audience? If so, how do you feel about it?

- What is the most bizarre Nightwish song? 

- Are you acquainted with the Portuguese metal band Moonspell? 

- Do you listen to black metal? If so, which are your favourite bands?

Get well soon Jukka  :)

- I've read that you are a fan of Eckhart Tolle. How have his teachings influenced your life?

- Are there other spiritual teachers that you like? (I like Mooji and Rupert Spira.)

Best wishes to you :)

Hello Jukka,

Very nice we can ask you questions as well. Thanks for that.

Here are my serious and not so serious questions:

A) What has been your most common injury because of drumming during the last 20 years?

B) Meat or fish on the BBQ? 

Skiing or ice-skating?

C) What are the 3 most difficult NW-songs to drum and why?

D) If you could relocate Finland on earth, where would Finland be found? Would it be an island?

E) About which historical event would you like to write an epic song?

F) Would you be happy if Norway gave Finland Mount Halti in its whole for its 100 year's independence celebration, or would you rather have a piece of Norwegian cake for everyone? 

G) Which NW-releases do you have on vinyl?

H) Which performance of 'Ghost love score' by Floor, would you rate to be her best so far?

I) If you got the chance, would you like to drum a gig with the Blue Man Group or with the KODO-drummers of Japan?

J) In your opinion, which drummers have had the biggest influence on rock music?

K) Did Floor ever shared a 'stroopwafel' with you?

L) Can administrative work ever be so fulfilling as drumming? :giggle:  

Terve Jukka!

- Who inspires you in your life?

- What was the moment in your life that changed everything?

- Have you ever written lyrics for a song?

- What is the first thing you do when you wake up?

- Have you read any interesting book lately?

- What is your favourite place in Finland?

- Which of Nightwish lyrics are your favourite?

- Where in the world would you like to live?

- What was your biggest childhood dream? Did it come true?

- What do you value the most in your life?

- Any advice for a young person with big dreams? :)

Thank you for sharing your time with us. I wish all the best to you and your family. Take care!

Hi Jukka!

1) When did you start to play drums?

2) Who are your favourite drummers and your inspirations?

3) How fast can you play double pedal? (bpm)

4) How much time in a day do you practise drums? 

5) Which are your warm-up excersises?

Thanks a lot!

1.- Do you have any favorite superhero?

2. Do you have friends in other bands? (Any band related to Nightwish by means of its members does not count)

3.- Do you miss the guys? How often do you keep in touch?

4.- Do you own any consoles at home? 

5.- Traveling twenty years into the past, what do you think would have happened with your life and the band had you said no to that bunch of weirdos that wanted to form a band with female vocals?

Hello Jukka!

What is your opinion on that, I want to start to play drums until 18?

I know that it is never too late, but I wonder if it will be harder for me to learn it.

Thank you and get well! (You are really amazing and wonderful) :)

First of all, we’d like to say to hold on and wish you strength, patience and lots of energy to be able to recover totally and quickly. 

Thank you so much for answering to our many many questions from which your hair stand on end, your eyes stand out and your are thinking about why the hell did you undertake to do this.  :)

But we are very grateful for this opportunity. (Nightwish Dreamers Hungarian Fan Cub)

Will there be any gigs on the next tour where we will be able to see you? 

Will you work on the new album too? Will you work together with Kai?

What does help you to compensate the feeling of a show or the drumming?

What part of the day do you like most? Why?

Thank you Jukka! :)

Hi Jukka! Thank you so much for this opportunity! :)

1. I'm considering doing a roadtrip through Finland at some point next year. Any place you'd particularly recommend to visit? Are there places you're not allowed to skip? ;)

2. Do you enjoy cooking? What is your favourite food to cook?

3. How did the collaboration between you and Kai start? You're both amazing drummers and from an amateur's viewpoint, it seemed that you worked so well together in the last couple of years! I was really happy when I spotted Kai in one of your early Making Of videos!

4. What are your musical guilty pleasures?

Thanks again and all the best! :)

Hi

What would you say counts as the highest interest except from the obviously, the drums?

Hey Jukka,

do you go on playing drums at home, even though you're not playing in Nightwish at the moment?

Do you have any musical project apart from Nightwish?

Will you be involved in writing the next Nightwish album?

Do your children play music? What do they think of the music you play?

Take care!

Hi Jukka!

1.- Something you wanted so much to do but couldn't because you were busy touring, so during your break you've been able to do it

2.- Apart from Himos Park, have you attend any other Nightwish shows as a fan? Did you felt sad watching the band performing without you?

3.- (Bonus) Do people recognise you as Nightwish's drummer when you aren't wearing the bandana? Have you ever used that advantage?

Get well, hope to see you again behind the drumkit soon :)

1. What was your most ridiculous impulse buy?

2. Do you & how many drum kits do you have at home? Do you practise still?

3. Do you believe in band with 2 drummers and 2 basses (simultaneously)

4. Do you have something that you are afraid of? What's your fears?

5. As a nightbird myself, I want to know which consequences do you have from non-sleeping? Does insomnia started purposely as a joke or?

6. What's your bad habits?

7. When is the last time you passed out (from drinking)? 

8. Do you still miss the touring with the band? Or you get used to not?

9. Do you regret about something in your life?

10. How was the feeling playing with the band after.. 3 years? (at Hiimos)

11. Tell us the (minor) bad habits from each member of NW that you hate it and you get frustrated from?

12. Do you visit this forum? I know that you visited the forum before.. hmm 15 years ago? :)

13. Do you miss the youthful carelessness?

14. Do you care about your playing skills? Do you think that your skills are improved now than the skills idk - maybe 10 years before? Do you try to progress and thrive?

15. Do you watch TV-series? 

Dear Jukka, I am very interested in the following question as well:

3.- (Bonus) Do people recognise you as Nightwish's drummer when you aren't wearing the bandana? Have you ever used that advantage?

Moreover, do people recognize Marco when he takes the beard off?

1. I would also like to ask you a recycled question (lazy of me, I know): I asked this same question to Kai, but I would love to hear your take on it for comparison:

Mr. Hietala has been (in)famously quoted comparing your style to John Bonham in contrast to Kai's Ian Paice.

So throw away the modesty for a minute then: which one would you be out of each one of the following pairs, and why?

* Max Roach and Joe Morello
    * Mike Portnoy and Mark Zonder
    * Simon Phillips and Jeff Porcaro

2. Have you ever attempted to learn other styles of percussion (djembe, hand drums, timpani etc)?
    Any chance we'll see you playing that on stage?
    Troy spilled the beans about Bongo Bongo Hey Hey in his answers - now I wonder, who played bongo drums in those sessions?
    Do you feel I am a bad person for having the occasional wet dreams about you and Kai switching back and forth between kit and percussion in a mind-blowing 2-hour set of old and new songs?

Get well soon!

Hello Jukka! 

What do you think about punk rock music - do you like it? What do you think about the drumming style in that genre? 

Cheers! 

Eugenia.

Hello Jukka :)

1) Do you have some new tattoos?

2) Do you want your children to be musicians?

3) What band do you prefer: Sabaton or Arch Enemy? :D

4) Would you like someday to teach drumming to kids, maybe when you "retire"?

5) Did you see movie Suicide squad and if answers is YES, would you like to be Joker for one day ?:)

6) Have you planned how you are going to spend 2017 and 2018, during the NW pause :)

Best wishes from Serbia!