• Announcements

• WhiteRaven

Nightwish Online - Features   03/12/2017

Check out a summary of the new features and changes on NightwishOnline here: http://www.nightwishonline.com/index.php?/forums/topic/4478-nightwishonline-new-features/  
Juichpet

Short interview with Tuomas and Floor by MariskalRockTV

32 posts in this topic

Nice little video. Camera almost giving me nausea from all that moving though.

Was that a hint at an orchestra show being part of the 2018 "oldies" tour? :woot:

Anyway, it's nice to see that the band is clearly in a good place right now!

They seem to have some really cool stuff in the planning... I want to know what it is noooooow...  :ermm:

It's totally an orchestra tour lol his look gave it all away. Can't wait for the live recording!.. And secretly hoping for a studio recording :P

Maybe that. Or perhaps a string quartet, which I believe Troy hinted at in some previous interview.

An orchestra tour is unlikely, but a string quartet, why not? I'ts true that Troy hinted it once. He even talked about a wind section.

Can't wait!!

I would love an orchestra tour or an oldies tour, but not the idea of a string quartet. Anyway I will be happy with whatever it is XD What about recording an EP till the coming of the album? It would be fantastic.

Yeah, let us just hope it will not be the apocalyptic acoustic tour we are all afraid of  :huh:

A string quartet + plus modern keyboards sound like an orchestra, especially if you add some wind instruments, as Troy stated in an interview some months ago. They will have to make some new arrangements, but that's good and will revitalise old songs. The only flaw Nightwish have live is the lack of spontaneity, and that's the consequence of those back tapes they usually play. Get rid of them and the live experience will be multiplied by ten.

Ah, and yes, an EP, or just a single with a couple of new songs will be very very very very very well received.

A string quartet + plus modern keyboards sound like an orchestra, especially if you add some wind instruments, as Troy stated in an interview some months ago. They will have to make some new arrangements, but that's good and will revitalise old songs. The only flaw Nightwish have live is the lack of spontaneity, and that's the consequence of those back tapes they usually play. Get rid of them and the live experience will be multiplied by ten.

Ah, and yes, an EP, or just a single with a couple of new songs will be very very very very very well received.

^ this

Guys, wind instruments will never, ever, sound natural in the keyboards. Strings? Sure, but brasses and woods sounds incredibly robotic, not to mention singular (no option for 20 people ensembles or such)

A short, but great interview! Thanks for sharing. :)

And I have the feeling that it might be an orchestral tour. Well, it will be a much shorter tour compared to the previous ones, so they'll probably pass throughout a few selected cities. Moreover, it seems that the band intends to drastically reduce the orchestral sound on the upcoming albums, leading them into another musical direction, which indicates that it would be the perfect time before the ninth album to collect their finest collection of songs and perform them with an orchestra.

And Tuomas once said that if they come to present a concert accompanied by an orchestra, it wouldn't be as most of the bands did. So, nothing more "original" than afford and take a whole orchestra with them during all the tour, instead of just a single concert being released as DVD later (e.g. Within Temptation, Epica). And seriously, what could be more special for the fans than having Nightwish playing their best material with an orchestra in their city? It would be the ideal moment to seal the symphonic phase.

Guys, wind instruments will never, ever, sound natural in the keyboards.

The Yamaha engineers would like a word with you:

Relevant part starting at circa 4:00 :)

But of course I guess an act the size of Nightwish can afford to hire two or three wind players?

Moreover, it seems that the band intends to drastically reduce the orchestral sound on the upcoming albums,

Where are you getting this from?

Mind you, I'm not complaining, the straussian orchestrations have kind of run their course IMHO - I'm not sure about orchestral ensembles in general, there is so much you can do with them besides that :)

New arrangements will not make old songs vital.  Particularly if they haven't been in the set for 15 years.  (Unless were talking about Wish I Had an Angel or something, I was referring to the the first three albums).

Maybe it is a 20th anniversary Oceanborn-tour. They could play the whole album and some oldies from AFF. ;)

@Some Dude Nah, those orchestral samples you posted are far out of our reach as:

1. Tuomas doesn't use Yamaha
  2. Tuomas is not that good of a player as to play full instrumental passages  :P
  3. He already has parts to play in those songs, atmospheric stuff and piano, that  goes under/over the orchestral backing.

The choice is either backing tapes or go full ensemble (Could be a small one, doesn't have to be a full 120 pieces one, maybe 25 or so). 

I bet Pip Williams is rearranging all the songs as we speak. And I have the big big feeling it's not going to be a hits tour but one dedicated to "obscure songs". Brace yourselves for The Carpenter slaying all your faves again.

Guys, wind instruments will never, ever, sound natural in the keyboards. Strings? Sure, but brasses and woods sounds incredibly robotic, not to mention singular (no option for 20 people ensembles or such)

Spitfire and EastWest. Look these brands up.

Sampled instruments can sound incredibly realistic these days. Not just orchestral stuff either.

The entire thing was made on a computer with sampled instruments.

Maybe it is a 20th anniversary Oceanborn-tour. They could play the whole album and some oldies from AFF. ;)

god no

@Some Dude Nah, those orchestral samples you posted are far out of our reach as

Well, those are not samples, it's entirely synthesized in real time via physical modeling.
The magic is done mostly by the breath controller that allows the player to impart the proper expression that, in addition to the idiomatic ornamentation and articulation, makes a flute sound like a flute (which is otherwise a relatively uncomplicated stack of sine waves).
It's the same technology that you find in stand-alone wind controllers.

Obviously there is no way in hell Holopainen is ever going down that route - but why would he, when you are in Nightwish you can afford to hire a few wind players :)

The entire thing was made on a computer with sampled instruments.

Programming any sort of credible-sounding performance on a computer is a breeze, if you know a thing about orchestration (and/or the musical idiom you are trying to recreate, for non-european music).

Playing a single instrument's parts live, with two hands, on a keyboard, is an entirely different matter.
Usually more difficult, as it requires programming the synth engine to reproduce the various registers of the instrument and and physically having enough controllers - pedals, wind controllers, aftertouch - to impart the proper articulation (and training oneself to do that!).

Note that despite what Native Instruments wants you to believe it's not - well, it's never - about having a hundred gigabytes of samples.

I did not want to derail the thread anyway, just pointing out that Ahas' claim that synthesizers can't sound like a credible flute hasn't been true for years now :)

I bet Pip Williams is rearranging all the songs as we speak. And I have the big big feeling it's not going to be a hits tour but one dedicated to "obscure songs". Brace yourselves for The Carpenter slaying all your faves again.

Yes please.

Yeah, let us just hope it will not be the apocalyptic acoustic tour we are all afraid of  :huh:

I think a "Nightwish Unplugged" as a single event would be nice with the band releasing an album/DVD afterwards. But yeah, acoustic tour would not be my concert of choice unless they only play in really small venues which seems very unlikely.

Now, additional strings would be great, an orchestral tour, even better! But it sounds so ambicious that I'm not having high hopes for it.

The apocalyptic tour will have a companion apocalyptic acoustic album, I think we're fine :)

I totally want the last song in the last album to end with the words: "Hearing music from the deepest forest, songs as a seduction of sirens, the even folk is calling me". Tears will be shed.

That will happen like in 20 years though so I'm not really holding my breath :P

Now that I think of it, having a time when there will be NW music no more will be quite sad. Damn, now I'm depressed.

Here's hoping Tuomas only writes double albums from now on :P we'll need quantity in those lonely years.