WhiteRaven

Marco's Answers

18 posts in this topic

Big thanks to Marco for his answers!

1: I wonder do you have any hilarious stories involving your beard such as has it got stuck in things or difficult to maintain?

-If I stick the ends behind my ears, I look like a Captain Ahab wannabe with weird sideburns. I´ve sometimes done it to see, if I look strange enough to not to be recognized. It has even worked a few times. All kinds of maintenance in male appearance is somewhat metrosexual and useless in my opinion. Especially when a guy is already getting grey and even more charismatic (I hope). The left side of my beard grows a bit faster so I occasionally burn the ends with a lighter. Scissors would be too much of a barbershop thing and therefore metrosexual. I´m a masculine beast!

2: Any advice to someone who wants to dedicate himself to music?

-Go ahead. Give it all! Expect nothing!

3: I heard that you wanted to write a book one day. If you didn’t change your mind, so, in what genre

-The ideas and snippets I have put down are somewhere in the fantastical. Grimdark most likely. Now I just need a hell of load of patience, if I want to finish them one day.

4: Tuomas always says, that all the music he writes is about him, it’s very much like “a diary of his soul”. What is your attitude to stuff like this? Do your songs reflect your condition or state of mind, or you prefer not to share your personal life with wide audience?

-All that I write is personal too. Everything you read, hear, see, etc. comes out there in the music and lyrics in some ways. The times that we live in as well. I might be more of a metaphor and allegory user and a storyteller. It´s a bit hard to make objective comparisons about the work of your close friend and yourself though.

5: I've always thought that your singing voice is quite unique (in a cool way), especially the higher notes. Is it something that came naturally to you or did you work towards that kinda of a sound?

-I have to say that most of my sound is natural and very much a result of the albums and songs I listened to and sung along with as a kid and a teenager. They became the basics I unknowingly built for my voice. The lessons I took in my high school years helped me to take hold of more relaxed ways of producing the voice though.

6: If you had to choose a song to send it to outer space as a message for any alien civilization, which one would it be and why?

-Beatles: “I am the walrus”. Let´s see what they make out of it…

7: Any opinions on fan culture? Meaning the dedication, time spent creating art, money invested into merch, etc?

-I had heroes when I was a teenager. I had a hell of a respect towards the players, vocalists and the writers. With writers I also mean the novelists. I collected books. I got my hands on singles with obscure b-sides and bootlegs of live shows from certain artists. I drew album covers and weird instruments. So I do understand the point of view where it starts and where it can go. Those heroes also inspired me to play and write music, lyrics and short stories. And this is where growing up with these things have taken me. To some people me and my mates are those heroes now. It´s an absurd feeling with a lot of gratitude. Gratitude to both my heroes and the people who´ve enjoyed our music. The fans have bought the albums and the tickets for our shows. The fans are also directly responsible of the fact that we can continue writing and recording our music. They are the people we do the shows for. And we all can get that massive kick out of the mutual feedback between the audience and the band standing together in a musical and visual rapture. There´s nothing better to my opinion. Thank you!

8: f you could switch place with another member of the band for one day, who would it be and why?

-Floor. It would be interesting to see how it felt like to be a woman. She´s also the youngest in the band and probably the one in the best condition. I´d skip the current pregnancy though. I want to party like a maniac again!

9: Do you have any advice for beginner bass players?

-Playing straight eights with tightness and groove is the most important thing you can ever learn.

10: Are you considering playing covers in Nightwish shows again? Your cover of Planet Caravan is amazing, and it could really work live!

-There´s so much back catalog for Nightwish to play these days that we haven´t done covers for a while. It´s not written in stone, so without promising anything, we could probably do something in the future. Nice of you to remind me of Planet Caravan. Such a simple little song would be open for a lot of different arrangements.

11: While traveling comes with the job, do you like leisure travelling with your family? Or do you prefer to spend that time at home?

-I do like both leisure travelling and just being lazy at home too. If I´m coming off a tour, I would rather spend some time on the couch of my own.

12: Was it fun to watch the band play when Sami was onstage earlier on this tour?

-Indeed!!! It was a priceless opportunity to see the band with all the screens etc. from the side of the audience.

13: If you were living in a different century, what would it be?

-Any century where and when we finally find extra terrestrial life we can call sentient. I´m not sure if they would return the courtesy though…

14: You’ve said before you like video games. What’s your go to game at this moment?

-At home it´s Witcher 3. I´ve mostly been entertaining myself with books on the road.

15: Do you still have any dreams/desires you want to achieve?

-Meeting with the extra terrestrials. I´ve met you humans already.

16: You co-composed a few Nightwish songs, does it feel a little more special when these songs get chosen as a single and/or to play live because you

were more involved in the writing of them, or just the same as any other song?

-It´s a nice thing of course, but considering the set list or the singles, it´s best to try to be objective and choose the ones that work. No matter who wrote what. And I´m mostly happy to just play any of the songs live. There it´s a matter of the best possible feedback between the band and the audience again.

17: Do you suffer stage fright?

-No. Excitement is not suffering.

18: What old song would you like to bring back that Floor hasn't sang yet?

-Devil And The Deep Dark Ocean.

19: Considering all Nightwish albums, which is your favourite bonus track?

-Lagoon, because of it´s vibe that differs quite a lot from our other material.

20: Why do you play in Dropped C tuning and not in Standard D tuning like Emppu?

-Actually I play both. I have a standard D tuning also, but I use a hipshot tuner which I can drop to C in some of the songs. You can easily find how the thing itself looks like on web. Just write “hipshot tuner” into your browser

21: I don´t know if you´re following the Song of Ice and Fire book series (or the TV series) but if so, which house would you like to be a part of? And is the iron throne yours in the end?

-I´ve read the books and I´ve seen the series. I´d start my own house of nordic white walkers. I´d get rid of the human pestilence by eating them and I´d replace the throne with a porcelain one.

22: Are you more interested in the past history or curious about what the world will look like in 150 years?

-Learn from history, but the future is the way to go. 99% of all the good news today come from the world of science. Check it out and you´ll see I´m right. Alternative energy, nanotechnologies, medicine, surgical implants and health, chemistry, whatever…

Our western values of human life and dignity are relatively new things here still. We talk about refugees, islam and dangerous political ideas and we´re afraid of them. Let´s go back a couple of hundred years and we western christians killed and enslaved countless numbers of africans, native americans, etc. Not to mention the crusades and the burning, the drowning and the mutilation of our own dissidents, scientists and healers just a little further back in time. Are we helping any of these modern day medievals to find their way into enlightement?

Economic policies of our own western civilization are also directly responsible for much of the persistent ignorance in the third world. Ignorant people and corrupt governments produce cheap labor and cheap materials. Ignorant people and corrupt theocracies produce fanatics without a clue. And by corrupt theocratic governments I also mean all of ours. They just got better at selling stuff than just policing it these days. The western democracy has failed. The political structures these days are no longer there to ensure that an individual is heard and taken care of. They´ve been made to serve the structures themselves and their soulless fight to get and keep the money and the power.

So I am way more interested to see how everything would look like in 150 years. Will we have a better place for all of us here or just a smoking hole? Both will be better for the planet itself.

23: If you could choose a superpower, what would it be?

-With purely selfish purposes it would be the ability to stretch and squeeze time. I´d get a full night of sleep every time I´m traveling. I wouldn´t have to wait in hotels, buses, backstages etc. The lines at the airports would be over in a second. The flights themselves would be over in a second. I could finish a book or a movie at my leisure. I´d get the vocal edits for our live dvd done without breaking deadlines. And sex would be slooooowwww…

After those I might start humiliating and exposing corporate psychopaths. Now there´s a noble cause!

Yespleaseyespleaseyespleaseyespleaseyespleaseyespleaseyespleaseyespleaseyespleaseyesplease.

Fantastic answers otherwise, thank you Marco!

Fantastic  :) thank you Marco. Glad you answered my question, but.... Lagoon is probably my least favourite NW song  :D

Yespleaseyespleaseyespleaseyespleaseyespleaseyespleaseyespleaseyespleaseyespleaseyesplease.

Fantastic answers otherwise, thank you Marco!

Oh please yes! Lagoon is also my favorite bonus!

:woot:  :woot:  :woot:  :woot:  :woot:  :woot:  :diablo:  :D OH MY GOD YESYESYES 

Font size edited. Please stick to the default font size - WhiteRaven

This is, by far, the one I enjoyed the most. Thanks for your replies Marco!

Economic policies of our own western civilization are also directly responsible for much of the persistent ignorance in the third world. Ignorant people and corrupt governments produce cheap labor and cheap materials. Ignorant people and corrupt theocracies produce fanatics without a clue. And by corrupt theocratic governments I also mean all of ours. They just got better at selling stuff than just policing it these days. The western democracy has failed. The political structures these days are no longer there to ensure that an individual is heard and taken care of. They´ve been made to serve the structures themselves and their soulless fight to get and keep the money and the power.

Specially this one. Thanks for expressing what some of us think with such simple words.

Yay, kiitos Marco!

I'd love to see more Oceanborn stuff with Floor as well. :dwarf:

This is, by far, the one I enjoyed the most. Thanks for your replies Marco!

Specially this one. Thanks for expressing what some of us think with such simple words.

I find the wording on that actually mildly dangerous, as it could be interpreted as validating the opinions of the various crackpots who cry "conspiracy", "Illuminati", "moon hoax" and "shadow government" - which I trust Marco isn't suggesting.

Alas, Western democracies work like a well oiled machine, in Yurop we haven't had an actual coup or election fraud in a while - we have actual elections and all, nobody can claim we are under the rule of somebody other than the people.

It's a shame people take democracy for granted enough to refuse to actively participate, vote with their ass and be an easy prey for the various populist demagogues - thus nullifying any advantage offered by democracy over a dictatorship.

Marco likes The Witcher and wants to play Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean.

Marco is the man!

1: I wonder do you have any hilarious stories involving your beard such as has it got stuck in things or difficult to maintain?

-If I stick the ends behind my ears, I look like a Captain Ahab wannabe with weird sideburns. I´ve sometimes done it to see, if I look strange enough to not to be recognized. It has even worked a few times. All kinds of maintenance in male appearance is somewhat metrosexual and useless in my opinion. Especially when a guy is already getting grey and even more charismatic (I hope). The left side of my beard grows a bit faster so I occasionally burn the ends with a lighter. Scissors would be too much of a barbershop thing and therefore metrosexual. I´m a masculine beast!

lol, what an odd point of view.

lol, what an odd point of view.

Yeah, it kind of made me wonder whether that was just a joke. You know, being kind of close-minded and whatnot.