WhiteRaven

Tarja Turunen pt. III

560 posts in this topic

The previous topic has reached 100 pages, so it's time for a new thread for Tarja and her solo career. 

The previous thread can be found HERE

11 years since she left Nightwish today. Time flies!

Wow, time really flies! Will see her live tonight, would she maybe skip the Nightwish medley on this day? :P (I hope not! Love to hear these songs with her voice again :D )

I still feel like if she was fired yesterday... Time flies so fast really!

11 years now, who would have thought! While I'm not crazy about her latest "era", her solo career has been very respectable, and it's obvious she has grown a lot both as a musician and a singer. All in all, I'm glad letterday happened. Congratz Tarja :)

I was a high-school student back then. Nowadays I've gotten my bachelor degree and have a full-time job and live by my own. Dammit...sweet memories...

Someone made a video showing some of her vocal changes. Sometimes it sounds like the devolution of Tarja but it is cool to see her trying new stuff.

And people say she sings better now. Sorry, but that's crazy. Cray cray cray.

interesting video, shows how she changed her voice over the course of her life, I think personally, I prefer the new Tarja with a deep dark sounding voice, using chest voice of course has bad sides but completely neglecting it is wasteful, sure she needs more time to improve her newly found sound, if she gets rid of the transition issue she would master her singing.

Interesting comparative video! There are few comparisons that I'd never imagined. Good stuff pointed out.

Now, I don't think it's a devolution at all. She's making mistakes, absolutely, she's not perfect. She's a human, a very talented one. It's fair to give her enough time to improve this new sound so we're all happy with her technique.

Aaanyway, I don't think it's fair to say she's bad. Her performance on stage is great in general terms, these are few instances of mistakes she can improve with time and practice.

Nah you can find mistakes and not so good moments in singing for every singer.

I personally love that deep metallic sound of her new developed voice. To me she is much more versatile than years ago.

Though she had a time around act 1 she sounded too nasal and kinda like a duck.

On a recent live Video of " calling from the wild" she was doing the " oh oh oh" Parts in the beginning sound like "ah ah ah ah" which reminded me of that terrible duckish voice few years ago

LOL, she really sounded like a duck in there :laugh:

Someone made a video showing some of her vocal changes. Sometimes it sounds like the devolution of Tarja but it is cool to see her trying new stuff.

This is really interesting. I very much prefer the original way she sang the NW songs, but it's nice seeing the chest voice with her solo stuff - it's different.  But I'm glad in the video they noticed Tarja does move around and dance/jump more often which of course affects her singing. She is probably more happy performing this way.

She does it perfect in every way <3 I love her dark and deep chest voice that she uses nowadays, though for songs like Ever Dream I prefer her old classical voice.

Agree on the point that her older stuffs sound better with original classical singing way, her new singing suit the new songs more as they were composed to be sung that way. 

I prefer the New Tarja as well, such an incredible development and BTW, she doesn't even consider her singing as "perfect one" she's always looking to improve, this is one of the Things I like so much about her, You cannot get used to hear her voice with an specific sound because in a matter of time she found out somethibg else to try with her voice and she sounds totally different.

That video is interesting and well made. Really points out some things that I think many of us have thought about as well.

Oh wow, I just listened to the NW Medley with the Tutankhamen intro, it just brought back so much memories. Especially the late 90s and early 2000s when you would buy the silly tapes and put them in your cassette deck or walkman and terrorise your neighbours and parents with the growls and the freaky guitars. 

Those were the days, and I m just shocked to see how much technology and society has evolved in 20 years... It s just unbelievable and I m just a sobbing nostalgic right now. I remember working on stupid summer jobs just to buy myself the train tickets to go hiking, meeting friends, listening to the latest X album in a tiny room packed with beers and tobacco smoke.

Oh yes, and you definitely wouldn't argue on topics like 'x is the best singer'-'but y is the most versatile'-'z is the cutest'-'w is the best dressed' because you didn't have Internet and all of today's jazz and drama. For instance when I first heard Nightwish I have no idea what did they look like for many years... you were just happy if you put your hands on a magazine or if the band stopped into town to play a gig, that was a reall fiesta. 

Oh well, I am just a haterz  :music:

Love to Hate has become my favorite one live, I just love how Tarja sings it, it takes you from different emotions, her expression of anger at the beginning and ending in a very peaceful way when she says ''No more rain, brush away my sorrow'' gives me chills the entire performance, plus her dark sound it makes it sound better than the album.

Such a happy performance for Undertaker, she took her shoes off XD