WhiteRaven

Tarja Turunen pt. III

803 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, some_dude_on_the_interwebs said:

I shall gloss over your inability to appreciate my tasteful, high-brow humour as I have a pressing question: when did he?

I don't follow the gossip nearly as much as some people in here do.

I don't follow much either, however, i do remember him dragging tarja after the dismissal and after Anette came into the band. To me personally Marco always came across as sucking up to Tuomas in interviews, just seem like he follows along.  me personally i wouldnt trust him. In this interview,i feel like he making it more than what it is, so im waiting for Tarja to comment.   But maybe Im the one that needs time to heal. 😁

But if its all true, im all here for it. 

29 minutes ago, gRRMONSTER said:

To me personally Marco always came across as sucking up to Tuomas in interviews, just seem like he follows along

Might have to do with the fact that Holopainen is the band leader, main songwriter and owner of the trademark and assorted rights - in a word, his boss? :P

The way I see it,, Tarja has 3 options:

1) Work with Nigtwish again (not happening)

2) Never work with NW again (justified)

3) Work individually with all members of NW except Tuomas (savage!)

:giggle:

All reunion drama/speculation aside, I’m very excited to hear their voices together again, and Ave Maria is the perfect song to duet. It’s going to be quite lovely I’m sure.

How hard is to do a one time appareance at the anniversary tour, seriously.

4 minutes ago, Ahasverus said:

Doing something like that would be a breach of both parties' integriHAHAHAHAHAHAHAsorry, sometimes I just kill myself.

1 hour ago, Ahasverus said:

She was kicked out of the band with an open letter. If this is not a reason enough for NOT joining them on stage for whatever reason, I don't know what is.

She did say that she wouldn't want to join Nightwish again unless they change every bandmenber and her singing with Marco doesn't necessarily mean her view has changed. Being in a band where you have to spend time together day after day and being on stage with someone for a few minutes is two completely different things. 

2 hours ago, Ahasverus said:

Maybe if Tuomas did a public apology. 

2 hours ago, gRRMONSTER said:

Maybe if Tuomas did a public apology. 

He said he was regretful about what happened and that they didn't handle the situation well, so that's a sort of apologize. Anyway, I'm not sure if another open letter or public apology may be enough for Tarja. That's up to here. So, who knows...

I don't want her back in NW, but an anniversary collaboration, a la Epica former members for their 10 years, would be SOOO great.

3 hours ago, Damian said:

He said he was regretful about what happened and that they didn't handle the situation well, so that's a sort of apologize. Anyway, I'm not sure if another open letter or public apology may be enough for Tarja. That's up to here. So, who knows...

I don't want her back in NW, but an anniversary collaboration, a la Epica former members for their 10 years, would be SOOO great.

Oh, please. Tuomas did say that he regrets the way they fired her, but at that time, in that situation, it was the only way they came up with.

However, I do not believe they regret firing her, it was the only way for the band to keep on going.

So, they have all, or at least some of them, matured and taken some responsibility over their actions.

I'm happy that Marco and Tarja can once again share the same stage, but at the same time I'm very glad I did not purchase a ticket for the show I intended at first, because I have no desire to see Tarja on stage again.

10 hours ago, Minni said:

Oh, please. Tuomas did say that he regrets the way they fired her, but at that time, in that situation, it was the only way they came up with.

However, I do not believe they regret firing her, it was the only way for the band to keep on going.

I think they do. Well, at least, that's what Marco said in 2014:

Do you have any regrets for what happened in the past, like the open letter to Tarja?

Well, yes, I think publishing that open letter wasn't our smartest move. We didn't know what kind of a monster we were releasing. Even though we didn't give interviews, the Finnish media constantly wrote about us for 6 months. We didn't know we were so visible in public. We could have gotten through the process much more smoothly. In the end, everybody suffered from it.

Source: http://www.nightwishonline.com/index.php?/forums/topic/3358-interview-with-marco-by-headbang/

Can't remember exactly where Tuomas said something similar, I'll look it up later. Anyway, that statement doesn't imply that they want her back, they regret about what happened and they're aware that they could've handle things better.

When an animal is chased to a corner is doesn't act rationally, it just tries to escape any means necessary. But in that situation everyone did wrong, it was really taken care of really poorly.

This is not an apology! It's an excuse! It's an excuse by someone who doesn't want to take responsibility for their own actions. It's an excuse by someone who's ego and insecurity doesn't allow him to admit that he may have acted inappropriately. 

9 hours ago, Damian said:

they regret about what happened and they're aware that they could've handle things better.

I disagree, I think they only regret the negative reaction they got from some people who saw through their little hype and drama play and regret that they alienated these fans and have given themselves a less than respectable image by the way they treated both of their former vocalist. It's clear that tuomas and the band are always very fixated on their public image and will do whatever necessary to try to keep up appearances. We can see this in how they've handled past scandals, through denial and trying to sweep things under the rug. We can see it in how they tried to mislead fans into thinking Anette quit the band when she was really fired. We can see it how they always swear that nightwish is really a "democracy" despite the fact that only tuomas opinion counts. Nightwish is the Hyacinth Bucket  (pronounced Bouquet) of the heavy metal universe. Anyway, in my opinion they are not sorry for what they did. They are only sorry of the consequences they had to face as a result of their action. And now they would like to exploit this to try and smooth things over with the groups of people they alienated and maybe repair their tainted image a bit. That's the reason I don't agree with you that a reunion performance would be a good thing. I don't see this as a sincere attempt to heal past wounds. I only see it as an attempt to fix their tainted image and the only people that benefit from that is themselves. If i felt they were truly sincere, then I might feel otherwise, but in the past, their actions have always been self serving and they had no concern for the consequences to others, like their past female vocalists.

On 10/9/2017 at 6:41 PM, gRRMONSTER said:

Maybe if Tuomas did a public apology

Maybe. If it was a real apology. However, a real apology means admitted you did something wrong. It means admitting your human and fallible. It's like being an alcoholic, you first have to admit you have a problem before you can even begin to deal with it. The person who feels he's superior to everyone else and can do no wrong cannot apologize for anything he does, nor admit any mistakes. Instead he blames everyone else. It's Sami's fault, It's Anette's fault, It's Tarja's fault. It couldn't be the fact that the band has incompetent leadership, because Mr. Perfect cannot be an incompetent leader. No, instead he was just a poor little victim, a "cornered animal" who had no choice but do all these things. He was forced to write hateful vindictive songs about his original vocalist and her husband. He was forced to play the race card in the open letter and point out to the fans the "cultural differences" between them and the man she married and how this must make Marcelo a really really bad man who is the scape goat and justification for everything Mr perfect,  was "forced"  to do.

On 10/9/2017 at 4:40 PM, Nienor said:

She was kicked out of the band with an open letter. If this is not a reason enough for NOT joining them on stage for whatever reason, I don't know what is.

That's not the half of it. First of all they admit themselves they began planning her dismissal many months in advance. I believe, in their book, they say at least March. That means they plotted, planned, and lied to her face for well over 6 months. They planned it to be very dramatic and they exploited that drama. Isn't it interesting that they chose to film that final concert where they did the deed and release it on DVD and blu-ray? That took months of planning and shows they were exploiting the drama of what they knew was going to happen. Then they went even further and exploited the drama with an entire  album devoted to it, with songs like Bye Bye Beautiful and Master Passion Greed. If the way they handled this was "just a mistake" and not an orchestrated drama play, why did they release these songs and this album almost 2 years later to financially exploit the drama?  But, I forgot didn't I? tuomas was of course "forced" to do all of this. he was just a poor little helpless cornered animal, that had no choice but to throw Tarja under the bus to hype and promote his next album with the drama.

Do you have any regrets for what happened in the past, like the open letter to Tarja?

Well, yes, I think publishing that open letter wasn't our smartest move. We didn't know what kind of a monster we were releasing. Even though we didn't give interviews, the Finnish media constantly wrote about us for 6 months. We didn't know we were so visible in public. We could have gotten through the process much more smoothly. In the end, everybody suffered from it.

Someone needs to ask Marco about the release of the album Dark Passion play and the songs Bye Bye Beautiful and Master Passion Greed. This album was released in late 2007 right? Was that not some 2 years after the Open letter? So, 2 years they later they still "didn't know what kind of Monster they were releasing"? Did Marco really expect us to believe this?

On 10/9/2017 at 0:01 PM, gRRMONSTER said:

however, i do remember him dragging tarja after the dismissal and after Anette came into the band. To me personally Marco always came across as sucking up to Tuomas in interviews, just seem like he follows along.  me personally i wouldnt trust him. In this interview,i feel like he making it more than what it is, so im waiting for Tarja to comment. 

I agree 100%. I'd prefer to hear what Tarja has to say about this. I think Marco is likely just exploiting this to try and get a little good publicity for the band and to try and smooth over their actions in the past. As I said before, I don't think this would benefit Tarja or her fans much, but I do think it would benefit the band. They know that the way they've treated their 2 prior vocalist has somewhat tainted their image and has alienated some older fans. I think they'd very much like to clean that up and they'd also like to maybe reconnect with some of those fans. That's probably why they are releasing the decades CD and doing the tour. I think Marco is spinning it this way, with that in mind, much the same way he had a very different description of their chance encounter in the airport and spun it in a more favorable light. Like I said Nightwish is the Hyacinth Bucket ( (pronounced Bouquet ) of the heavy metal universe. If you've ever seen the show(Keeping up Appearances), you'll understand the joke. ;)

There's no hate.

There is! There are those so called Tarja-detractors that seem to listen to every new material she releases but are constantly disappointed for whatever reason (boring songs, awful vocal technique, whatever she says in interviews, etc.); and there are those who still refert to NW as "Popwish" just because the new singers use a non-classical techinique and some pop stuff they heard in the videos. In both fanbases there are people who still undermine each other's band/artist accomplishments only to let everyone know that their idol or the artist they stand for is much better than their "enemy".

You're absolutely right that there is hate. And it's true that it exists on both side in the fanbases. However, maybe instead of symbolic gestures and PR spin, the answers lie in asking the question of how and why this came to be. If we can see and understand the mistakes of the past, it will probably serve us better than a symbolic appearance on stage that tries to create the  pretense that the past never happened or wasn't as it seemed. In this prior discussion there was talk about "wars" among the fanbase. Let's ask ourselves, how do "wars" begin? Usually they begin with leaders. Those leaders then convince their followers that the other side is somehow evil or to blame for all their problems. These leaders often times have their own interest or agendas, but they hide that from their followers and instead feed them twisted, exaggerated, and distorted images of the "enemy" to justify why they "deserve" their actions against them. The seeds of hate get planted into the minds of those followers and they grow. They grow to the point that they take on a life of their own and sometimes even those who planted the seeds cannot stop them if they wanted to. If only the followers of those leaders weren't so short sighted and gullible and didn't blindly accept the words of those leaders without any solid evidence to back them up, maybe those seeds could never get planted. But also maybe if those leaders stopped and thought about the long term consequences of those seeds of hate and the far reaching implications they might think twice before they traded a short term gain for those long term consequences. Maybe the same things apply to leaders of bands and their fans. Maybe a leader of a band, should consider things like this as well before he  plants seeds of hate with open letters and hateful vindictive songs. And just maybe he should think of what it will do to the fanbase and image of his band.

Well well it seems the firing which happened more than a decade ago still sounds like a hot debate till this day! 

Honestly, i really do hope she'll get shirts made for this chrismas album, i would totally buy it. 

@Stefan2k4

Let's just say that I think that you put a little more into their words than necessary ... 

I honestly believe that they do regret the firing and how it was handled, they are just not so good at wording it. And I totally understand the "cornered animal" thing. It's like being in a "sick" love relationship where you really want it to work but small things are starting to heat up with a lot of tension. Not everyone is good at handling those kind of situations. At one point you are just surrounded by so much stress that you don't know how to handle it any more and do irresponsible actions. I think we all have experienced something similar like this before, we were just not in a public band where the consequences were spilled all over the media. 

However, this does not mean that I support how they did the firing. I detest it. But I can totally see that it was an action taken by a group of people who had experienced years with high tension between two parties that were supposed to be friends, have fun and have a good working-relationship. 

On 10/10/2017 at 6:45 AM, Minni said:

I do side-eye this idea that it was the only way they came up with. Even allowing for the fact that they wanted to finish the tour before firing Tarja, they could still have done so privately - face to face after the show, calling her the next day, even giving her a letter that didn't get posted on the internet- or more professionally - gather all parties and management together and hash out some sort of joint statement, post something more vague and generic online, or even an open letter that was a little more even handed and less ... personal. These were all options, they might have required awkward conversations but they were pretty obvious options that didn't involve slinging mud at the character of their colleague of 9 years and her husband in public. They made a choice. Whether that's down to a calculated business decision to increase publicity, spite in the heat of the moment or just a case of monumental dumbass, nobody knows but the people involved. This whole "cornered animals" answer and variants thereof doesn't do them any favours, nor does "The open letter was a bad idea because we got bad publicity too".

Not to say I think Tuomas should be publicly flagellating himself at Tarja's door or anything, there was obviously issues on all sides. I can understand defending the band on the decision to fire Tarja, I have yet to hear any compelling reason to defend the way they chose to do it, and the idea that it was the only choice is laughable.

On 09/10/2017 at 8:41 PM, Ahasverus said:

Probably the fact that both their managements are kind of bound up in the whole awkwardness too? Tarja obviously had issues with the Nightwish management, and that the guys had an issue with Marcelo was pretty clearly flagged up by the open letter and MPG. There isn't that professionally detached layer to act as a neutral party/ go between/ organising force. That alone probably makes it more complicated as a situation. RJ, from what I know, is a group project comprising of several Finnish artists - Tarja probably knows a few of them - one of whom is Marco. It's "neutral ground", I guess, for lack of a better term.

I'm sure that if there's a will from both parties to work together again that they will work around the awkwardness or figure something out.

17 hours ago, Stefan2k4 said:

I think Marco is likely just exploiting this to try and get a little good publicity for the band and to try and smooth over their actions in the past. As I said before, I don't think this would benefit Tarja or her fans much ... Like I said Nightwish is the Hyacinth Bucket ( (pronounced Bouquet ) of the heavy metal universe. If you've ever seen the show(Keeping up Appearances), you'll understand the joke. ;)

Not sure if you're referring to Marco's interview specifically, or Tarja appearing in RJ shows, but I think there are certainly benefits for her in appearing in the show? I mean, she's producing a dark Xmas album, this is a series of dark/ heavy metal Xmas concerts, it's a chance for her to hype her album and sing Xmas songs (which she clearly enjoys). Plus, a bonus for her fans from her Nightwish era, of which there are many, to see her and Marco perform together again.

Points for the Keeping Up Appearances reference though - that's an image I'm going to struggle to lose. And on that note, some_dude, I was really hoping that was Young Frankenstein when I saw the links, you did not disappoint XD

Nightwish drama aside, it'll be interesting to hear Marco and Tarja singing together on a softer song. On the Nightwish albums they both appeared on Marco was still predominantly using his aggressive vocals, so it'll be interesting to hear how their voices sound together on the other end of the scale. Or perhaps it'll just be a heavy version of Ave Maria.

And on that note: another Ave Maria??? Come on Tarja, you clearly know other songs, why not vary it up a bit? ;)

I enjoyed "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" - it's still not quite Loreena McKennit :P but Tarja sounds good, the song works well with the "dark" sound and the scorelike elements and her look in the video is ridiculously over the top enough to be amusing. I'm not sure how well a dark version of "Deck the Halls" and such will work by comparison, but the first indications are promising.

11 hours ago, gRRMONSTER said:

Honestly, i really do hope she'll get shirts made for this chrismas album, i would totally buy it. 

Just shirts? I'm aiming high and hoping for full themed outfits :P

15 hours ago, Marius said:

I honestly believe that they do regret the firing and how it was handled, they are just not so good at wording it.

tuomas is a song writer. He writes music and he also writes lyrics. Words are his job. Carefully selecting words to convey meaning and emotion is how he makes his living. He's been doing it many many years and he's been quite successful at it. Also he knows the minds of his target audience because he's been writing words to stir the emotions of this fanbase for many years now. In their own book they admit they began planning this as early as March 2005. That means tuomas had about 8 months to carefully select and craft the words of that letter to manipulate and play upon the emotions of the fans. That makes it very hard from me to buy the argument, that this was just a case of "poorly selected words". That's also the reason I don't believe the reference to Marcelo's "cultural differences" could possibly be a mistake. To me it's a clear and obvious attempt to play upon negative racial stereotypes of latinos and use that help persuade fans Marcelo is the enemy. I'm not saying tuomas is racist, but he clearly has no problem playing the race card when he thinks he can use it to his advantage. I think the open letter is carefully crafted by a man, who knows how to use words to stir the emotions of his fanbase. Starting the open letter by framing it as a choice whether the band lives or dies, is a sure fire way to stir the emotions of the fans and invoke an extra helping of drama. So, is blaming higher ticket prices and cancelled shows on one party, knowing these are things that will be hot button issues for fans. tuomas is a master chef when it comes to cooking up drama and in the open letter he serves up a full course meal.  This is from a man who's been serving up drama for years in the lyrics of his songs and he knows the effects of that drama (in his lyrics). The effects are mucho dinero! So, how could he possibly not know the effect of what he was doing? I just don't see it. And the same applies to words in interviews as well. These interviews are pre-planned, not spur of the moment caught off guard affairs. 

And I totally understand the "cornered animal" thing. It's like being in a "sick" love relationship where you really want it to work but small things are starting to heat up with a lot of tension. Not everyone is good at handling those kind of situations. 

Well, neither is everyone cut out to be a leader. Leadership ability is something that requires a special set of skills, just like art and music. Some people posses one or the other. A few people may have a good grasp at both, but many do not. A leader of a band probably requires a little bit of both. tuomas may be a talented artist and song writer, but his leadership skills seem to be greatly lacking and that's been the cause of all the trouble in his band. Being a leader is about more than "I get to be in charge". It's about responsibility. Responsibility for what you do. Responsibility for what you say. Responsibility for what you write in an open letter and the animosity and hatred those words may inspire in the minds of millions of impressionable fans who idolize you. And responsibility for the lyrics in hateful vindictive songs you write targeting former band members and their spouses on an album built around a drama play you created with your words. If a person is of the type who feels 'cornered" and unable to make responsible decisions whenever they encounter a stressful situation, perhaps that person isn't qualified to be in a leadership position, especially one where your words can sway the opinion of millions of fans who look up to you .

But I can totally see that it was an action taken by a group of people who had experienced years with high tension between two parties that were supposed to be friends, have fun and have a good working-relationship. 

But the really interesting thing to me, is that whatever "years with high tension between two parties" they may or may not have had, they didn't decide to fire her until after she informs them in dec 2004, she wishes to leave but will agree to stay on for one more album and tour. It strikes me as particularly odd that they were somehow willing and able to work through all this until shortly after she expresses a desire to eventually leave. It's even more interesting that she openly and honestly shares this with them and yet they hide and conceal their true intentions and their plotting and planning. It says something about their honesty and questions their intent and credibility of their claims. However, I guess it's understandable that when you're going to throw a fellow band member under the bus to sell your next album, you can't very well share this information with them.

On 10/10/2017 at 0:29 PM, Damian said:

In addition to my prior comments on this quote from Marco and my opinion on the lack of sincerity, take a look at Damins link to the source. This was from an Interview in Jan 2014. So, is Marco honestly telling us, with a straight face, that it took them from October 2005 until 2014 to "know what kind of monster we were releasing"?  On the other hand, I guess by this time the sells of Dark Drama Play had subsided to the point they started to understand 'what kind of monster they were releasing". Perhaps, prior to this, their view of "the monster"  was obstructed by all the cash he was throwing at them. 

5 hours ago, Stefan2k4 said:

tuomas is a song writer. He writes music and he also writes lyrics. Words are his job. Carefully selecting words to convey meaning and emotion is how he makes his living. He's been doing it many many years and he's been quite successful at it. Also he knows the minds of his target audience because he's been writing words to stir the emotions of this fanbase for many years now. In their own book they admit they began planning this as early as March 2005. That means tuomas had about 8 months to carefully select and craft the words of that letter to manipulate and play upon the emotions of the fans. That makes it very hard from me to buy the argument, that this was just a case of "poorly selected words". That's also the reason I don't believe the reference to Marcelo's "cultural differences" could possibly be a mistake. To me it's a clear and obvious attempt to play upon negative racial stereotypes of latinos and use that help persuade fans Marcelo is the enemy. I'm not saying tuomas is racist, but he clearly has no problem playing the race card when he thinks he can use it to his advantage. I think the open letter is carefully crafted by a man, who knows how to use words to stir the emotions of his fanbase. Starting the open letter by framing it as a choice whether the band lives or dies, is a sure fire way to stir the emotions of the fans and invoke an extra helping of drama. So, is blaming higher ticket prices and cancelled shows on one party, knowing these are things that will be hot button issues for fans. tuomas is a master chef when it comes to cooking up drama and in the open letter he serves up a full course meal.  This is from a man who's been serving up drama for years in the lyrics of his songs and he knows the effects of that drama (in his lyrics). The effects are mucho dinero! So, how could he possibly not know the effect of what he was doing? I just don't see it. And the same applies to words in interviews as well. These interviews are pre-planned, not spur of the moment caught off guard affairs. 

Well, neither is everyone cut out to be a leader. Leadership ability is something that requires a special set of skills, just like art and music. Some people posses one or the other. A few people may have a good grasp at both, but many do not. A leader of a band probably requires a little bit of both. tuomas may be a talented artist and song writer, but his leadership skills seem to be greatly lacking and that's been the cause of all the trouble in his band. Being a leader is about more than "I get to be in charge". It's about responsibility. Responsibility for what you do. Responsibility for what you say. Responsibility for what you write in an open letter and the animosity and hatred those words may inspire in the minds of millions of impressionable fans who idolize you. And responsibility for the lyrics in hateful vindictive songs you write targeting former band members and their spouses on an album built around a drama play you created with your words. If a person is of the type who feels 'cornered" and unable to make responsible decisions whenever they encounter a stressful situation, perhaps that person isn't qualified to be in a leadership position, especially one where your words can sway the opinion of millions of fans who look up to you .

But the really interesting thing to me, is that whatever "years with high tension between two parties" they may or may not have had, they didn't decide to fire her until after she informs them in dec 2004, she wishes to leave but will agree to stay on for one more album and tour. It strikes me as particularly odd that they were somehow willing and able to work through all this until shortly after she expresses a desire to eventually leave. It's even more interesting that she openly and honestly shares this with them and yet they hide and conceal their true intentions and their plotting and planning. It says something about their honesty and questions their intent and credibility of their claims. However, I guess it's understandable that when you're going to throw a fellow band member under the bus to sell your next album, you can't very well share this information with them.

In addition to my prior comments on this quote from Marco and my opinion on the lack of sincerity, take a look at Damins link to the source. This was from an Interview in Jan 2014. So, is Marco honestly telling us, with a straight face, that it took them from October 2005 until 2014 to "know what kind of monster we were releasing"?  On the other hand, I guess by this time the sells of Dark Drama Play had subsided to the point they started to understand 'what kind of monster they were releasing". Perhaps, prior to this, their view of "the monster"  was obstructed by all the cash he was throwing at them. 

^ this.

I don´t believe in any conspiracy theory in kicking out Tarja Turunen ja Marcelo Cabuli from Nightwish. The band had experienced some worse and better phases before, but since late 2004 the atmosphere had been deteriorating. The band and management were divided into two camps, and there was a struggle of power  between the camps. Tarja and Marcelo belonged to one camp and the four guys and their managers  to the other camp, and these camps did not share the same goal and constantly disagreed in various issues.

In February 2005 the band mates learned that Tarja Turunen will not tour in the US in spring  or later in 2005. Instead, she will participate in the making of her brother´s album in May 2005. This decision was harmful to Nightwish; they could not promote Once album properly in the US and  their US record company suspended their contract.  Tarja Turunen´s denial to tour in the US was the last straw which broke the camel´s back, and the band mates decided to fire Tarja and get rid of Marcelo Cabuli. Naturally, they kept this decision secret in order to secure the tour, not due to conspiracy. If they had informed Tarja and Marcelo about the decision, the following options would have been possible:

A.     The parties agree to take separate ways after the tour and the rest of the tour goes  smoothly.

B.     The atmosphere gets from bad to worse and they have great difficulties to finish the tour.

C.     Tarja Turunen quits with one day´s notice.

D.     Tarja Turunen threatens to quit immediately unless the guys promise not to fire her after the tour.

Option A was highly unlikely. It was Tuomas Holopainen´s understanding that Tarja Turunen had threatened in a row that she can leave Nightwish with one day´s notice (we don´t know for sure whether he was right or wrong). Anyway, the band mates had all the reasons to fear the options B, C and D and keep quiet about the upcoming firing.

According to the second part of the conspiracy theory the  Nightwish guys would have calculated that by firing Tarja Turunen openly they could have been able to boost the popularity of Nightwish and promote album and gig sales. This claim is just ridiculous and against common sense.

Popularity and recognizability are not synonyms. Tarja Turunen´s dismissal certainly increased Nightwish´s recognizability but not necessarily its popularity, because:

Change in popularity depends on positive reputation minus negative reputation and may also be negative.

Nightwish got a lot of negative reputation due to Tarja Turunen´s  dismissal.  I cannot believe the Nightwish guys had been so foolish to imagine that they can boost the band´s popularity by firing a very popular front woman.  In addition, the Nightwish guys  obviously prepared for a considerable loss of the fan base by spending more money than ever in advertisement by making three music videos, viz. Amaranth, Bye Bye Beautiful and The Islander.

I believe that they were simply childish at that time, the choice they made was absolutely unthoughtful and after releasing the letter they were like "OMG what have we just done", it has nothing to do with the intention to raise the band's popularity by making a big scandal. 

I won't pretend to be the know-it-all kind of person, first of all.

Then, I'd say that judging from the biography book and Marco's words (and also that Tarja later didn't deny any of those claims related to tours, smth that, as nw said, they could prove by letters and documents etc), in the end when the whole question of what to do and how to continue with the band, they felt like Tarja and Marcelo were both trying to sink the band by their deeds like shows cancellations (infamous tour legs in USA which costed NW a records deal with label and promotion in USA with their then most successful album) or those claims regarding higher salary (which once again costed NW a tour leg with Iron Maiden > thus a chance to expand the audience and sell more etc). It felt like if those deeds were to be successful and nw disbanded, fans would have one and only Tarja aka, in the eyes of many, the main success factor of NW, with her glorious solo career and no band stealing the attention. So, the band felt like they were just a career springboard for Tarja. 

And from human point of view I totally understand that 'cornered animal' thing and, to some point, that letter, which was the coin NW felt they had to pay Tarja in response to her attitude towards her bandmember responsibilities, tour cancellations & whole 'I can leave the band at any time [you idiots, you aren't worth a damn without me] thing. That was nasty, childish (like, "no, she did it first, so we had to respond!" and no pro, but, I believe, both parties have done their share of crap back then.

6 hours ago, Slytherin said:

I believe that they were simply childish at that time, the choice they made was absolutely unthoughtful and after releasing the letter they were like "OMG what have we just done", it has nothing to do with the intention to raise the band's popularity by making a big scandal. 

I buy that but then why composed songs like BBB and MPG (and even make one of those a single) if the realized the consequences? 

Lets face it, they really didnt care but whatever it happened 12 years ago.