WhiteRaven

Tarja Turunen pt. III

1,409 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, Imagineer said:

She has definitely stated she liked her before. I think it was in Gaga’a earlier days. I think it was in a tv interview or something. 

You were right, she is a fan (I guess I just thought the wording in the other interview was a little odd). I found this, she talks about Lady Gaga at 9:10 

Agree, and I don't see a point of buying all of her albums just for some production experience

It is funny how she even stopped correcting journalists who mispronounce her name. 

5 minutes ago, Baki said:

It is funny how she even stopped correcting journalists who mispronounce her name. 

She's given up.  :P  Although I'm sure she still winces on the inside...

22 minutes ago, Encaitar said:

She's given up.  :P  Although I'm sure she still winces on the inside...

I think when you are an international artist you eventually just accept that some people are going to mispronounce your name, either because of accent or spelling. but yeah I winced when he said her name. There are so many videos of Tarja saying her name on youtube, you would think interviewers could do 5 minutes of research and at least try to say it right... 

Nice new interview :)

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-nightwish-singer-tarja-turunen-on-benefits-of-being-a-solo-artist-there-is-nobody-telling-me-what-i-should-do/?fbclid=IwAR1f139R_PnnL5z6iclluFKyvjzagN1ZIZRtXLfYlZI8A0ObGNf_BSY1xDw

...and...ignore me!!  Not a new interview, just a partial transcript of the video that was posted earlier. :P My mistake, sorry.

I cringed a bit at the "I'm at my best as a singer". Sorry, Tarja, I love you, buuuut, nah.  :P

14 minutes ago, Imagineer said:

I cringed a bit at the "I'm at my best as a singer". Sorry, Tarja, I love you, buuuut, nah.  :P

I do wonder...does she really have NO ONE around her that will tell her the truth on this?  She still has the voice, but some of her choices as to how she uses it are really not that pleasing to the ear.

I still think she sounded great in her recent christmas concerts. The less classical stuff needs more work, and some of her choices there are just odd but I'm not giving up on her yet.  

Yeah, agreed.  The more classical she gets, the better she sounds.  And I really do like Shadow Self (mostly), but some of her vocal inflections are just...*shrugs*  I don't understand.  I'm not giving up on her either. :)  If she comes and tours in the US again, you better believe I will go see her.

(hopefully this isn't crazy to say - but my favourite album she's put out is her Christmas album!!)

Yeah, her classical vocals are great. But it’s not her main thing nowadays unfortunately.

Im not giving up either. I am waiting for her album and I will probably see her live again next year as her shows are fun. But yeah I really wish she’d up her vocal game. 

I'm with you guys. I just watched a Raskasta Joulua video and was kind of embarrassed for her. Hopefully she'll get back on track sometime soon. :rolleyes: 

Omg she'll give a concert in Crete! How random is that! 

Tarja is being too silent nowadays. I hope she'll come up with something new soon! 

Thinking about this, it occurred to me that with a new album we'll most likely also get a new bold cover from her, and I started wondering what I'd like it to be. I don't have anything specific in my mind, but I'd like something more up-beat this time. Something like Eye Of The Tiger from Survivor (I think with her voice, it could sound similar to In For A Kill!). Or Under Pressure from Queen! Maybe with Van Canto again. That could be awesome! It would of course have a controversial outcome, but whatever... all covers do. No risk no fun.:pardon:

(Looking back: I enjoyed Poison, it was fun. SOTN was great when I heard it live, the studio version was okay. I LOVED Darkness, that's my favourite cover from her. Supremacy was a great choice for her voice, and it was also fun live, but her high notes are a bit too high for me there sometimes. I wasn't much into House Of Wax, but eventually I grew to like it.)

1 hour ago, Sophia said:

Tarja is being too silent nowadays. I hope she'll come up with something new soon! 

She's recording new material! :D

I also hope she's taking a well-deserved break.  She was doing so many shows last year...I don't want her to tire herself out too much!!  She needs a physical/mental/emotional break.  Please rest, Tarja!!!  (and then make more music :P)

I am excited to see the cover she does as well.  :)  I'm pretty sure a few months back her official facebook page asked people what covers they'd like Tarja to do.  So obviously...it's on her mind.  Maybe she's already decided!!  

34 minutes ago, Encaitar said:

I also hope she's taking a well-deserved break.  She was doing so many shows last year...I don't want her to tire herself out too much!!

She loves touring! :D

16 hours ago, Serena said:

She loves touring! :D

I know she does.  And I love it!!  I just don't want her to overdo it...

I can't wait to see her again. I really hope she comes back to US again soon.  Serena - when is last time you saw her?

23 hours ago, Sophia said:

(Looking back: I enjoyed Poison, it was fun. SOTN was great when I heard it live, the studio version was okay. I LOVED Darkness, that's my favourite cover from her. Supremacy was a great choice for her voice, and it was also fun live, but her high notes are a bit too high for me there sometimes. I wasn't much into House Of Wax, but eventually I grew to like it.)

Finally someone who praise Darkness as I do!! :D I already wrote here about it some years ago, but it's so cool to know someone else here who truly loves that cover.

I agree with you regards the first two covers. Supremacy wasn't my cup of tea.... maybe because I was madly in love with Darkness, or the fact that I really like the original version from Muse. I know most of the fans were crazy about the high note at the end, but nope, not for me. Super difficult to do live, I mean, it's impressive, but that's the only thing I like from the whole cover.

House of Wax was a nice twist from the original, and Goldfinger fits her like a glove. But they fall in the same category as Poison and SOTN, in my personal opinion.

21 hours ago, Encaitar said:

I'm pretty sure a few months back her official facebook page asked people what covers they'd like Tarja to do.  So obviously...it's on her mind.  Maybe she's already decided!!  

Yeah, I threw like 10 songs to her. She eventually will choose something completely different. I know that.

I remember, back in 2010, someone asked in the Tarja Argentina forum which songs we would like her to cover. I went straight to "Fly Me To The Moon", the Evangelion bossa nova version if possible :P Suprisingly she included the song in the live setlist of Beauty & The Beat.... but she played drums on it.... and Mike was the singer. I couldn't expect less from the Troll Queen.

Goldfinger fits her like a pig's leg, to be honest. I couldn't believe she released such a terrible rendition of her voice. 

Goldfinger is definitely her worst cover and Darkness is definitely her best, closely followed by Supremacy and House of Wax. This three just seem like she took them more "serious" than Still of the Night and Poison which I think she was just having fun with.

Darkness is so expressive! And in a different way than the original. I love what she did with it. And also the deeper voice she's using in it.

Lol at the Fly Me To The Moon thing, @Damian:laugh:

(I even forgot about Goldfinger. This might speak for itself..)

My fave is House of Wax!! :)

2 hours ago, Damian said:

Goldfinger fits her like a glove.

Agree!!

And...

6 hours ago, Encaitar said:

Serena - when is last time you saw her?

Never seen her live yet!

26 minutes ago, Serena said:

And...

Never seen her live yet!

Aw I hope you can someday :)