WhiteRaven

Tarja Turunen pt. III

1,452 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Evangeline said:

@Afrodite: 

This old video only reminds me how much I miss Tarja IN Nightwish. 

Seriously, I almost start to cry. 

Same.  Also reminded me that I want to watch FWtE again sometime soon...my favourite DVD of NW...

I miss the way Tarja sang in Nightwish, prior to Once. I don't miss Tarja being in Nightwish.

9 hours ago, Magnus said:

I miss the way Tarja sang in Nightwish, prior to Once. I don't miss Tarja being in Nightwish.

You mean this?

I actually preferred this more than her performance nowadays and that historical End of An Era show.

This is actually MY MOST FAVOURITE "Ever Dream" performance by Tarja!

5 hours ago, catsAreLiquid said:

You mean this?

I actually preferred this more than her performance nowadays and that historical End of An Era show.

This is actually MY MOST FAVOURITE "Ever Dream" performance by Tarja!

That was really good...I enjoyed that much.  She's on point there :D

6 hours ago, catsAreLiquid said:

You mean this?

Yeah. She sounded so good during the Wishmaster and Century Child tours. Her technique completely changed during the Once era, moving away from the hybrid technique she had developed when singing metal since it was bad influence on her actual classical singing, and while it might have been needed in order for her to progress as a vocalist the results just didn't mesh very well with the style of Nightwish. As much as I dislike some of her recent artistic choices in terms of what she's trying to do with her voice, it still sounds better than anything from the Once era. Tremolo like vibrato, oddly pronounced accent as well as paper thin and often "witchy" sounding vocals. Her least impressive era as a singer by far and I don't miss it one bit. I really hope Nightwish can release a full pro-shot show from the Century Child tour someday, as part of a box set or something.

31 minutes ago, Magnus said:

I really hope Nightwish can release a full pro-shot show from the Century Child tour someday, as part of a box set or something.

Oh my goodness yes.  I would pay a significant sum for that.

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

Yeah. She sounded so good during the Wishmaster and Century Child tours. Her technique completely changed during the Once era, moving away from the hybrid technique she had developed when singing metal since it was bad influence on her actual classical singing, and while it might have been needed in order for her to progress as a vocalist the results just didn't mesh very well with the style of Nightwish. As much as I dislike some of her recent artistic choices in terms of what she's trying to do with her voice, it still sounds better than anything from the Once era. Tremolo like vibrato, oddly pronounced accent as well as paper thin and often "witchy" sounding vocals. Her least impressive era as a singer by far and I don't miss it one bit. I really hope Nightwish can release a full pro-shot show from the Century Child tour someday, as part of a box set or something.

Century Child is probably my favourite album after Imaginearum so I'd love that. Surely though, if there was anything in the vaults they'd have released it by now? 

The CC era is my fave too, regarding both Nightwish's style and Tarja's vocals.

Give or take a couple of years. Because, I think I said this already, but the way she sings in Away or Feel For You is still the Tarja voice I would LOVE to hear again/more often, and I also loved the Once era a lot.

So yeah, I kind of miss both Tarja in Nw and the way she sang back then with or without them. I have the impression that she wanted to perfect her higher range so much, that she lost something from that truly impressive "depth" she used to have. But I am mostly cool with the present too, so... here, let me share some of my favourite Tarja vocals :) :

Spoiler

Ok, this will be enough, I guess!

2 hours ago, icebreaker said:

Century Child is probably my favourite album after Imaginearum so I'd love that. Surely though, if there was anything in the vaults they'd have released it by now? 

I think prior to Decades they were reluctant to release anything reminding the world of their previous two singers. It was a toxic topic when Anette was in the band, for sure. As the world has grown to love the band's current line-up, I feel like it's become safer to re-release old stuff without having it distract from where they're currently at. I think most fans appreciate both the old and the new, because they're in a love where they love the band rather than "used to" love it (as was certainly the case with many during the Anette years).

Another difference is that there's finally some communication between the two parties, even if it's purely on a professional level. It seems everyone involved is now willing to celebrate the past. They're clearly all proud of the work they did together, even if they all regret the way things ended.

57 minutes ago, Sophia said:

The CC era is my fave too, regarding both Nightwish's style and Tarja's vocals.

Give or take a couple of years. Because, I think I said this already, but the way she sings in Away or Feel For You is still the Tarja voice I would LOVE to hear again/more often, and I also loved the Once era a lot.

So yeah, I kind of miss both Tarja in Nw and the way she sang back then with or without them. I have the impression that she wanted to perfect her higher range so much, that she lost something from that truly impressive "depth" she used to have. But I am mostly cool with the present too, so... here, let me share some of my favourite Tarja vocals :) :

Hide contents

Ok, this will be enough, I guess!

Amazing collection!!! :D

5 hours ago, Magnus said:

I think prior to Decades they were reluctant to release anything reminding the world of their previous two singers. It was a toxic topic when Anette was in the band, for sure. As the world has grown to love the band's current line-up, I feel like it's become safer to re-release old stuff without having it distract from where they're currently at. I think most fans appreciate both the old and the new, because they're in a love where they love the band rather than "used to" love it (as was certainly the case with many during the Anette years).

Another difference is that there's finally some communication between the two parties, even if it's purely on a professional level. It seems everyone involved is now willing to celebrate the past. They're clearly all proud of the work they did together, even if they all regret the way things ended.

True, if they'd released something like that during Anette's era it would just have provided some fans more opportunities and incentive to hate on her. 

I hope this is not very off topic, I started posting this in the "What songs should Nightwish cover" topic first, because I've been thinking that it would sound great with Floor's voice. But it's not a very Nightwishy sound and they rarely do covers anyway... so I am posting it here because meanwhile it occurred to me that it also kind of fits in the list of songs Tarja would cover. And I think that would work too! I can totally imagine it with an Underneath-ish sound, with more riffs.

Ok, now I really want to hear this! Either version. 

This was a love at first listen kind of song for me, even though I found the vocals too agonizing. I got used to them though, because it fits the song well. But I would also love to hear a version of it with clearer vocals.

Tarja uploaded a new profile and cover photo that it seems to be related to the new album. So I guess the recording process is far from done and all we have to wait for is a release date.

I'm not fond of the golden-black combination (esp. in her makeup). In the cover pic looks better imo.

@Sophiaoh my goodness so many songs.  You are very terrible and very wonderful as now I have to watch all of those.  I'm excited :D

Also...I watched the last one just now ("O Holy Night" Ostrava 2018) and I got chills and almost cried.  Thanks)

EDIT: Also...she just posted what may or may not be lyrics from her next album on facebook :)

"Why have you wasted the time drown in hideous nights? 
Oh! Why have you woken the thoughts of a paranoid mind?"

The first line is not even grammatically correct, lol. 

Looking forward to it nevertheless. 

31 minutes ago, Baki said:

Looking forward to it nevertheless. 

Same here!!!

6 hours ago, Encaitar said:

"Why have you wasted the time drown in hideous nights? 
Oh! Why have you woken the thoughts of a paranoid mind?"

I'm not particularly fond of her lyrics. But the way she sings and the whole idea behind the songs is what I'm really looking forward in every new record.

So give me the audio snippets, Tarja, I won't buy those lines inspired by.... well... Cohelo :bad:.

15 hours ago, Baki said:

The first line is not even grammatically correct, lol. 

Yeah, I was amused by that.  *sigh*  Tarja - I will help you write lyrics...please!?! :D 

(Heey, I like Coelho. :P Yeah, his writing is not the best, and his overly simplistic style annoys me sometimes, but beyond that, I do like his ideas and his life philosophy and that's enough for me to enjoy a book. I've read Hippie from him recently and really liked that one. These kind of books can be like a happy pill for me. If I want skillful/complicated writing, I can always go to Umberto Eco, M. Bulgakov or  George R.R. Martin. I like all these genres.)

So not to be entirely off topic, I don't mind that Tarja is inspired by his work. But I am also more interested in he musical side of it and the direction she is taking this time. Come on Tarja, let us hear something! :music: 

That pic is gorgeous imo. Here is a less cropped version of it, no idea why she likes to crop her profile pics that much.

57059885_1253415131474074_13230095582174

Oh my goodness she is gorgeous there indeed.  I do like the less-cropped version of it, thanks for sharing.  So this album is gold & black themed...what else do we know about it!?

Her latest insta intimates that we should hear something...soon!??!

image.thumb.png.f84b80b9882141935ce6dcdc33c0ab2e.png

Those tags sound like she's trolling, lol. We all know her definition of soon. :laugh: Hopefully this is the real soon.

22 minutes ago, Imagineer said:

i believe we'll get an announcement this Friday. Let' see!

Let's hope so!! :D

Let me guess, the new album will come out in August, if you pay attention, she'd always chose August for a new album, she's been doing this year after year since What lies beneath. Wonder if she's gonna do differently this time though

Another lyrics snippet. With a Shoah reference, for what it's worth. And another bunch of grammatically dubious constructions.