WhiteRaven

Tarja Turunen pt. III

1,909 posts in this topic

@Damian To each their own's interpretation! Who says the person who wrote the song have to know what it's about? :lol:

Considering the songwriting skills on her latest albums, I can accept that argument

Ok - so I've now properly listened to this album and I can say with confidence that this is my favourite album of Tarja's.  :)  I was surprised, knew people liked it but wasn't expecting I would enjoy it as much as I did.  I do find it funny that my least favorite songs of the album were the first three songs.  Oh my goodness, why oh why were *those* the first three songs.  I guess they are ok songs, but for me...meh.  I really liked You and I!  I knew it was a bit divisive but it made me happy, listening to it :)  Golden Chamber was, as advertised, a thing of beauty.  After the first three, Spirit of the Sea is probably the next one that I don't care for, but it's fine I guess.  Silent Masquerade and Serene are both quite nice.  And yes, loved Shadow Play.  Would have liked a bit of a different conclusion to that one, but it was still a very enjoyable listen.

Anyway, all in all, very happy with this album.  :) Good job, Tarja!!

4 hours ago, Encaitar said:

I do find it funny that my least favorite songs of the album were the first three songs. 

I also got that feeling! :)

Tarja posted a picture of the band line up for the upcoming tour. Is Alex no longer in the band?

I think Alex is just busy with something else right now, and he'll be back on another leg of the tour. It happened before too. Christian wasn't always around either. However Kevin left, he wrote a warm-harted post on facebook about his decision to start into something new.

Here is a lovely new interview. :) She looks so radiant and happy!

I saw that her bassist left to go back to the US. Alex is going to be a bigger miss though. I guess she will then do Dead Promises without the male vocals? Or can someone else from her line-up sing?

Christian and Alex usually do a little bit of singing too. Alex does the harsher vocals, so he will porbably sing Dead Promises when he returns.

Fun fact: Kevin appeared on the final season of How I Met Your Mother playing the guitar :P

15 hours ago, icebreaker said:

I guess she will then do Dead Promises without the male vocals?

Maybe!!!

Here is a lovely new interview. :) She looks so radiant and happy! 

Loved it!! :D

17 hours ago, Sophia said:

I think Alex is just busy with something else right now

He actually said it was a family tragedy :( 

My dear FB- Friends: Due to an unfortunate and tragic family- related event I have to take care of private things and won´t be able to play the scheduled live- shows for the rest of the year.

Anyhow- some exciting music I´m participating on is being released: First, Tarja´s new Album, "In the Raw" came out a week ago, I´m proud to be playing guitars on that and also had the pleasure to have co- written 3 Songs together with Tarja on it. Check it out!
Also, later this week, the new Sinner album "Santa Muerte" will be released. Besides sharing the guitars with Tom Naumann i co- wrote 2 Songs with Mat Sinner!
So please my friends: Support the music, buy those records and go to the shows, I will see you further down the road somewhere!

So, he'll join the band again next year, I guess.

17 hours ago, icebreaker said:

Or can someone else from her line-up sing?

Julián Barret. He's Alex replacement for the rest of the year.

I'm super happy to have the legendary Doug Wimbish back on the road with Tarja :) I missed him a lot. I hope Tarja gives him enough space in the concert, I missed those times when he played the solo at the end of The Crying Moon.... oh wlb times....

Yeah. Also interested if she'll bring back another NW oldy, or if she will continue playing Planet Hell, which was only recently added to the setlist. I doubt she won't play any NW song though.

I just played In The Raw on Spotify, and I could have sworn You And I had been replaced by an alternative version. I first noticed something was off when the drums didn't come in, and there was a whole new orchestration towards the end.

Then it hit me that maybe it's the other way around...? This is the album version?

Is there some serious Mandela effect going on, or did they put up an alternative version by mistake - which has since been corrected? Because I know You And I used to have drums.

@NeoGeorg They've 100% changed it. Yes it had full-blown drums, not that heartbeat-like drum, and the strings and orchestra were definitely not so prominent... if they were there at all. This version is a bit bland imo. 

3 hours ago, NeoGeorg said:

Is there some serious Mandela effect going on, or did they put up an alternative version by mistake - which has since been corrected?

Show me the version that it's not on Spotify, please!!

The version with drums and less orchestra is on the Extra Raw bonus disc. The official album version is without drums and with more prominent orchestra. 

1 hour ago, Serena said:

Show me the version that it's not on Spotify, please!!

Can't find!

There was a mistake then, because the "Band version" was on the album earlier (on Spotify). A shame that this Extra Raw disc isn't available. That version of You And I was, in fact, more well done. Pun intended.

Why does she do this? Putting superior alternative versions on bonus discs... Same with No Bitter End and Eagle Eye on The Brightest Void. :( 

And with Spirits of the Sea. The percussion mix on the bonus CS is much better than the actual version. Same goes for solo version of Goodbye Stranger, but again, the song itself is crap, there is no help to it. 

3 minutes ago, NeoGeorg said:

Why does she do this? Putting superior alternative versions on bonus discs...

If she had put the "Band Version" on the album, people would have complained "We want the orchestral version"

On 9/11/2019 at 7:49 PM, Serena said:

Wishing to see the new stage setup, Tarja's clothes and setlist!! :D

There you go. :D Just the outfit for now:

There are more pics on Instagram. I haven't seen a setlist yet.

Setlist:

Spoiler

Serene
Demons in You
My Little Phoenix
Anteroom of Death
Diva
Goodbye Stranger
Falling Awake
Wishmaster
Acoustic (You and I / The Golden Chamber)
Undertaker
Tears in Rain
Victim of Ritual
Innocence
I Walk Alone
Dead Promises
Until My Last Breath

It's a great one, but I would have rather had two more new songs instead of MLP and VOR, but I guess they will appear in the setlist sooner or later. :)

I love these, she looks and sounds great!