Sign in to follow this  
hunebedbouwer

The Changing 50's

6 posts in this topic

History and many cultural subjects are often divided in decades and music is no different. Instead of a gigantic thread of all music from the 1950's up till now, I think it would be a good idea to make a thread for every decade, starting with the 1950's.

It's always nice to see and hear where our current music derives from and how it developed (or not) into all kind of genres and sub-genres.

Some of us may have heard some of this music through their parents or otherwise, but I think most of us don't know much about it, because we're simply too young and got raised in another decade.

The 50's were, and especially from 1956 onwards,  were the beginning of a radical change in music. From pretty corny (in our modern eyes) music like country, slow blues songs, gospel, swing bands and folk music, which was then again covered by hundreds of other artists in their native countries, it got a whole new dimension by people like Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Fats Domino, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis.

That all translated into genres as rockabilly, doo-wop, rock and roll and rougher rhythm and blues. But most of all, the invention of the electric guitar by Les Paul and the whole 'we-want-something-else'-mood by the youngsters caused a revolution in music.

3 Examples of songs by 3 different artists of that era/decade:

Jazz was already around for a long time and was still playing a big part in the music scene. Personally I don't like it much, but this song really deserves its part in music history: Dave Brubeck - Take Five

Elvis Presley was probably THE face and voice of the 50's:

Jailhouse Rock

The Tielman Brothers (of Dutch/Indonesian descent) played their own kind of rock called Indo-rock. For many Europeans adults it was a bridge too far, but the young people (especially in Germany) loved it.

Chuck Berry. Influenced a lot of artists, amongst them, the Rolling Stones. Who, in their turn influenced a lot of modern day rockers.

A classic from Chuck: ´Johnny B.Goode´ 

My favourite cover of this song: Peter Tosh:

Chuck Berry - ´Maybellene´

Peggy Lee - 'Fever'.........now that's singing!

Dean Martin - 'Sway'

Perry Como - 'Mandolins in the moonlight'

James Brown - 'Try me'

And sing they could...........

Teddybears - 'To lnow him is to love him'

Nina Simone - 'My baby just cares for me'

Edith Piaf - 'Non, je ne regrette rien'