Loviisa

Children of Bodom

23 posts in this topic

photo.jpg

Children of Bodom is a Finnish heavy metal band from Espoo, formed in 1993.

The band has incorporated many different musical styles, leading critics and fans to label them as melodic death metal, black metal, thrash metal, and power metal. They are one of Finland's best selling artists of all time with more than 250,000 records sold there alone. The band's third studio album, Follow the Reaper, was their first album to receive a Gold certification in Finland, and since then, all seven of the band's studio albums have reached the same status.

Current members

Alexi Laiho – lead vocals, lead guitar (1993–present)

Jaska Raatikainen – drums, percussion (1993–present)

Henkka Seppälä – bass guitar, backing vocals (1996–present)

Janne Wirman – keyboards, synthesizers (1997–present)

Roope Latvala – rhythm guitar, backing vocals (2003–present)

Studio albums

Something Wild (1997)

Hatebreeder (1999)

Follow the Reaper (2000)

Hate Crew Deathroll (2003)

Are You Dead Yet? (2005)

Blooddrunk (2008)

Relentless Reckless Forever (2011)

YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.c...ser/cobofficial

Official Website

http://www.cobhc.com/

[media]

[/media]

(I'm actually impressed that there was no topic about them so far. I mean, it's hard to be a Nightwish fan and have never heard about them or whatever. And Alexi Laiho is pretty famous, too.)

CoB was one of my favorite band years ago, but nowdays I don't listen to them. Are You Dead Yet? was quite good, but after that their releases have been dissapointments. I think I have grown out of them or something.

My favorite songs are Hate Crew Deathroll, Roundtrip to Hell and Back, Everytime I Die... I discovered them like a few monts ago and their music, no matter how strange it soinds, relaxes me sometimes, when I'm pissed off.

Oh, I remember being really into CoB when I was in high school. They and Dimmu were basically my first experience with more "extreme" forms of metal, but I did even then prefer Bodom, because Alexi Laiho was just an insanely talented guitarist.

But... I dunno what to say, they had me and then they lost me. I really liked "Follow the Reaper" and "Hate Crew Deathroll", "Are You Dead Yet?" was OK, but didn't really blow me away; it had a couple of really good songs but quite a few that were very forgettable imo. I don't know if I "outgrew" them or whatever, but I really couldn't get into "Blooddrunk". Granted, "Tie My Rope" and "Banned From Heaven" are OK but I literally can't think of any other track from that album that I would want to listen to again. And judging from the overall opinions that I'm getting about their latest album... I don't think I'll be seeking it out any time soon, let's leave it at that.

Still, I still like to listen to their old stuff ("Every Time I Die", "Angels Don't Kill" come to mind) from time to time. And I definitely would like to see them live eventually.

COB isn't heavy metal band.. they play melodic death basically. I love them, Alexi is one of the best musicians ever. I heard that he entered the top 5 best guitarists of the world. Everytime I Die is my favorite song.. also Needled 24/7, Downfall, Bed of Razors, Hate Crew Deathroll, etc.

btw, the new single is pretty good too.. :music:

melodic death? I don't know...
if you leave out the vocals it sounds more like classic heavy metal with modern production too me :)

ok, you're right when it comes to thrash and prog influences in their music. It's really complicated! :D
To make it easier I just call it "metal" ;)

I like death-metal, Children of Bodom is one of the death-metal bands I listen. Latest album Halo of Blood is good and I like the songs on that album. From old songs, my favourite is Everytime I Die.

I don't know if anybody else is noticed but new Cob album will come 2nd of October. I look forward to it!

I look forward to it!

Me too! Morrigan is already on repeat for me. :)

Another (older) one I often listen to these days is Kissing the Shadows. :music:

What do you think of their new album? I think it's not their best but still good.

'Morrigan' has now official music video but it's boring and cliched. 'I Hurt' and 'I Worship Chaos' has lyric videos but I don't like them.

New single, for their new album "Hexed".  Here's the cover art -
children-of-bodom-hexed.jpg

Really good artwork, I'm hoping the album lives up to it.  The single's fun, at least.  Not my favorite COB track but certainly catchy!

I like it! It reminds me a lot of old CoB albums, in a good way. It's not a very daring / novel song musically, but the first single that anyone releases of an album is never the best or the most special, so this album might just be good.

Well, "Hexed" is pretty good.  I wouldn't say it's their best album, but it's a lot of fun to listen to and the guitar work is impressive (as usual).  It's a couple steps above "I Worship Chaos" and on about the same level as "Halo of Blood" for me.