Sign in to follow this  
hunebedbouwer

The Dancing 80's

18 posts in this topic

The decade that saw the start and developing of rap which later resulted in all kinds of horrible music! :giggle: The end of punk, but the birth of new wave and ska. And most and foremost the development of electronic music which started at the end of the 70's.

I always thought it would be the beginning of the end for 'real' music when I heard songs like 'Video killed the radio stars'and the like. Where would we be heading if no one needed to have certain proper musical skills (playing instruments) anymore?

In some ways my predictations have become the ultimate nightmare scenario in the last 30 years. Ofcourse there are also good to very good examples of artists and songs that include electronics, but in general I'd say that it has been a considerable negative side to music. Too much thrash made by too many people who otherwise would never have gotten the chance to pull off a lot of crap music and destroy creativity and above all radio stations with it. But hey, that's my personal opinion.

This decade saw the rise of some absolute megastars. For example Madonna, Michael Jackson, Prince, U2, Guns & Roses became household names. 'Brothers in arms' by Direstraits and 'Thriller' by Michael Jackson became the 2 most sold albums of all time. Metal bands scored big with ballads and then there was that incredible day that 'Live Aid' was broadcasted, which was legendary as Woodstock for the older generation.

Michael Jackson - Billie Jean

The Cure - Pictures Of You

Guns & Roses - Sweet Child O'Mine

As always, upsides and downsides. Sure, the most popular music in the 80's was way better than in the decades after. Now when I listen to many of these top 20 hits from the 80's I just wish popmusic was like these, for example:

Martika - Toy Soldiers

Suzanne Vega - Luka

Genesis - Land of Confusion

Serious songs about serious topics. Sure, some say 70's progbands like Genesis sold out etc., but personally (and I'm not Patrick Bateman ;) ) I like this more accessible Genesis of Collins-era. Gabriel fans can complain, but I'm not listening. It's all about the quality of that more accessible song, not the song being more accessible to me. 

And it was also the decade of my personal musical upbringing. I used to listen to everything from Eurovision song contest songs to Finnish schlager to Melodic metal like Maiden to trash like Kreator (Extreme Aggression :horns:  :horns:  :horns:  :horns: ) during that decade. And that's how my musical taste still works. 

Back in Finland the 80's rock music was still controversial. A new generation of rock musicians was born from the ashes of punk rock movement and they started attacking those "holy topics" in Finnish society. We have to keep it in mind that Finland still banned Sex Pistols in the end of the 70's. I still have a hard time believing Finland would ban a rock group from entering our soil, but that is just what they did. Of course things like this backfired and sparked a transition towards more rebellious attitudes in our rock culture.

In the end of the 70's a group called Sleepy Sleepers made a record called "Takaisin Karjalaan" (Back to Karelia"), which was concidered a blasphemy, because the title was mocking Finnish attitudes towards Karelia, which we lost to Russia during the WW2. Musicians like Juice Leskinen, Ismo Alanko and the Syrjä brothers continued to torment this kind of old, traditional attitudes in Finnish daily live with their lyrics. A band called Sielun Veljet made this song, On Mulla Unelma, which started with a line "I will wipe my ass with a Finnish flag". Controversy ensued and ended with Leskinen defending the song with a column about freedom of speech and expression. The column ended with the words "It's much more hygienic to wipe your ass with a flag than wiping someone else's ass with your tongue"  :laugh: . Yes, rock music was bad for the youth back then. 

During the 80's Finland also had it's first run towards international success. Hanoi Rocks was our first truly international rock group and they paved the way for Finnish music for international market. They were loud, obnoxious and cocky. They declared themselves the best rock group in the world and their guitarist, Andy McCoy, took 30 000 Finnish marks from his wallet during an interview. "I always have this much in my wallet, so I can buy something nice". These dudes were the scoundrels everybody loved to hate. But, on the verge of their international breakthrough, their drummer died in a car accident. It happened in LA with Motley Crue-vocalist Vince Neil, when they were speeding towards a liquer store. That basically ended Hanoi Rocks. Some bands like Guns 'n' Roses considere them as a major influnce, btw. 

I'd say the 80's is still my favorite decade in music for many reasons. Many of favorite bands started in the 80's and I actually still find interesting music from the 80's via the social media. Sure the first years of the 70's had it's jewels as well, but to be completely honest, I'm not into that overtly artistic stuff. It has it's merits of course, but I am personally alienated with this kind of approach. The 80's music speaks to me in a different way, so to speak, more straightforward, less ambiguous. I basically detest punk rock, but if there's something postive I could say about it, it made the musicians to come closer to their audiences. 

The 80s in music was pivotal not just for the music itself... I mean, that was the decade when the PMRC reared its ugly head, a landmark case in which Judas Priest had a civil suit filed against them was dismissed (had it not been, that case could've had some extremely severe repurcussions against artists, the music industry, and really free speech as a whole), censorship became a thing, MTV became a thing (and not too long thereafter stopped playing music), lots of stuff worthy of note aside from the music itself in that decade. 

Three gorgeous Eighties songs in my book:

Snowy White - Bird Of Paradise

Tanita Tikaram - Twist In My Sobriety

The Nits - Nescio

I've always liked the use of saxophone in pop/rock music of the 80's. Here are few prime examples of that:

I found the vinyl of ABC's "The Lexicon of Love" from  my garderobe and holy cow, it' s one of the best pop album's of the eightees, IMO.

End of cold war was approaching and songs were reflecting the change of atmosphere. Though, as we can now say it's just about as fitting today, than it was in the 80's. Just change the names of the leaders involved. 

A band, that has always been very appealing to me. A bit cheesy, yes but very good cheese, swiss emmentaler perhaps? And that's very appropriate to the 80's.

This is different but very intense, indeed.

4 Iconic songs from this decade:

Phil Collins - 'In the air tonight'

'Vienna' by Ultrafox

Boomtown Rats - 'I don't like mondays'

Survivor - 'Eye of the tiger'

One of my favourites from this decade......Climax Blues Band with 'Listen to the night'

Third World - 'Try jah love' (power reaggae)

Vandenberg - 'Different worlds'

Many 80`s songs are just magical for me... 80`s and 90`s songs and Metal Music are my favourite ones. Today`s songs are aweful, but those three ones mentioned live in my soul and it will be until the day I die.

One of the best bands for me is this one. All of you know them, but I don`t know if you feel their songs the same way as me :

Video clip

The 80's produced some fantastic TAKING HEADS songs.......

'Slippery people'

'Psycho killer'

'The road to nowhere'

Remembering the 80's with these pop gems. You can say anything you want about 80's pop songs, but good god they knew how to write melodies back then. 

I've always had a big affection for the singles of Fun Boy Three since they appeared in the early 80's. They were a lot different from the main vibe, but somehow they were also very catchy and very pleasantly addictive .

With Bananarama - 'It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it'

'The tunnel of love'

And my favourite 'The lunatics have taking over the asylum'.......a song that is suitable to many parts of today's societies....

The story of Driver's seat' from Sniff'n the Tears

The Hooters - 'All you zombies'

Simpleminds - 'Hunter and the hunted'