Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hunebedbouwer

The Continueing 10's

6 posts in this topic

Well, a bit more of the same as the 00's really, except that I have become a member of a NW forum and posting all kind of threads on that forum! :P

Music life has been good in the 10's so far, as I have a warm relation with Google and YouTube and that does provide me with a lot of musical pleasures. I've been visting concerts of bands which I've never heard of before and my general taste in music is strangely getting harder and harder despite getting older.

Modern music in general hasn't changed that much really, but I see and hear now and then very encouraging signs of a counter movement that returns to the basic of music and that's playing with real instruments and proper singing. At least in the Netherlands at least. Can't speak for other countries, but there are good signs to get some hope for the future here. 

Unfortunately, there are less and less record stores left, because the distribution and sales of music has changed dramatically and here does internet play one of its worst sides.....it is all getting more and more impersonal. :negative:   

For me, 3 defining songs of these six years so far:  

Nightwish - Song Of Myself at Wacken 2013

Gazpacho - Tick tock III

Porcupine Tree - Sentimental

Can I nitpick a bit? :P The Porcupine Tree song was released in 2007, so it's not actually a part of 2010s. I would have linked some of Steven Wilson's solo material which has the same quality and actually belongs to the 2010s. 

This song is probably my favourite from his solo material. It is so beautiful and moving:

You can PICK NIT as much as you want. :P

You're absolutely right. I forgot that, because Harvest introduced me to that song in 2014 I think, for which I am forever grateful to him. :music:

Three Dutch discoveries of the 10's for me:

Kovacs

Kensington 

The Wounded

Three quality songs that I really appreciate from this decade we live in:

The Gathering - Heroes For Ghosts

Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know 

Leonard Cohen - Different Sides

I guess Anathema would be my personal favorite, when it comes to -10's bands. Sure I knew them before, but for some reason I never gave them a decent spin before We're Here, Because We're Here came out in the summer of 2010. The bulk of that record is composed earlier, some of the songs had been floating around as demos for some time, but the finishing touch Cavanagh brothers and Steven Wilson gave to the songs, made the record so special for me. Weather Systems came out in 2012 and I saw the band in Pakkahuone and the show was nothing short of magical. 

Another highlight of this decade is Hand. Cannot. Erase by Steven Wilson. I kind of lost track of Wilson after he disbanded Porcupine Tree and I never liked those few first solo records  he did. I actually started listening to Insurgentes when the remastered version came out and for some reason I never liked Grace for Drowning or Raven that much. HCE basically put Wilson back to my musical chart. Saw him twice during the HCE-tour and both shows were fantastic. 

A few other highlights:

Cult Of Luna - Mute Departure

Threshold - The Hours

Dead Can Dance - Kiko

Swallow The Sun - Songs From The North

The number of new releases bought per years has gone down further and now lies somewhere between five to ten. The two new discoveries which made the biggest impression on me in this decade thus far were Mortillery and Avatarium, well thinking about it, they were also the only new discoveries to make an impression on me at all. While the music they play isn't something new (old school Thrash Metal resp. Doom Metal mixed with 70ies influences), there's something special about these bands (for me) I can't exactly pinpoint. Their female vocalists definitely play an important role (though I'd prefer Cara McCutchen's vocals more, if she sounded less extreme on some of the songs) and so does the guitar work, in the case of Avatarium especially the guitar solos by Marcus Jidell.

In addition to the aforementioned new discoveries, Voivod made a strong comeback with "Target Earth" in 2013 (for me their best release since "Nothingface" in 1989, which I didn't expect at all), Mekong Delta's "Wanderer on the Edge of Time" (2010) is also their best release since the eighties and the five songs on Watchtower's recently released EP "Concepts of Math: Book One" are at least as good as the songs on their last full-length album "Control and Resistance", which was released already 27 years ago. I also enjoy Madder Mortem's current release "Red in Tooth and Claw" a lot. A very positive surprise for me was Nightwish's "Imaginaerum" which unexpectedly re-sparked my interest in them, though I have to say that their latest album unfortunately managed to somewhat cool it down again.

There are only a few other Metal releases from this decade I bought and also enjoyed, namely "Onyx" by Ava Inferi, "The Metamorphosis Melody" by Midnattsol (I still like "Nordlys" better), Mekong Delta's "In A Mirror Darkly" (definitely not as strong as "Wanderer...", though) and Voivod's "Post Society". I'm still a bit undecided about Savn's eponymous debut. There are some songs or at least parts of them I find quite enjoyable, but apart from the fact that I don't like growling, I definitely like the heavier/more complex style of Midnattsol better. And I'd probably still be listening to Forbidden's "Omega Wave", if the entire album was as strong as the first and the last song on it.

While I'm not sure, if I should mention the second albums by Stolen Babies, "Naught" (2012), and Bergtatt, "Lagnadsoger" (2013), among Metal releases (though they are at least metal-related, the latter perhaps more than the former), I can definitely say that they both are among my favourite relases of this decade.

As regards non-Metal releases, the album from the current decade which has made the biggest impression on me is definitely "Sunrise" (2013) by Ketil Bjørnstad (not only because it also features my favourite singer/lyricist Kari Bremnes - though only on four songs as soloist), followed by "Og så kom resten av livet" by Kari Bremnes. Other enjoyable releases are: "VII" by Qntal, "Strid" by the Oslo Kammerkor, Garmarna's "6", Dead Can Dance's "Anastasis", "A Curious Thing - Live Orchestral Versions" by Amy McDonald, "Gilvve gollat" by Mari Boine feat. Norwegian Radio Orchestra and Estampie's "Secrets of the North".

Judging by quality and not by quantity, it's still a very good decade for me.