JRA

Floor's Metal Test [Metal Hammer]

190 posts in this topic

i.e.  "Slayer is unbelievably boring."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/nightwish-singer-floor-jansen-says-slayer-is-a-dreadful-band/

I personally haven't loved anything Slayer has done since Seasons In The Abyss, and I can't imagine there's that much of a cross section between Nightwish fans and Slayer fans.  Also, there were times where Slayer sold out just as awfully as Metallica did, like the godawful God Hates Us All and ***** In Sucktica, but they were better at hiding it because they kept up with metal fashion appearances.  

And of course, people are entitled to personal opinions, but other people are also entitled to criticize said opinions.

-Slayer's fanbase aren't exactly the most intelligent or non-violent group of people.  I don't know how deep they've gotten into 4chan territory, but I wouldn't be surprised if I saw Floor doxxed anytime soon.

-Floor's taste in metal is very questionable, considering she also never "grew up loving Iron Maiden."  It begs the question of what does she like that isn't "female fronted metal."   Speaking of which....

-Floor gave an interview where she said the metal press at large need to stop referring to it as "female fronted metal,"  my response to that is, female fronted metal bands need to stop sounding like utter ***** the same riffless folky lite metal.

-Considering she put out one of the most dreadfully boring albums ever last year: Endless Forms Most Beautiful, she's not really in a position to criticize.  If this was Hansi Kursch or Matt Pike then they'd have room to stand on.

-I've seen her wear Arch Enemy shirts from time to time.  I hope she knows Arch Enemy wouldn't exist at all with Slayer.

I'm kinda surprised I haven't seen this here, blabbermouth and those leeches at metalsucks are milking this for all its worth.

She also said that religious people are stupid, which makes her stupid. So I don't think high about her.

I love Slayer. They're my favorite thrash metal band and one of the few bands I've actually seen more than three times. They're amazingly good players, had among their ranks my favorite drummer (Dave Lombardo)  and yes, they embody all  the metal attitude. From their music, to their clothing, to their behaviour. Yet, I can understand Floor's point. They've been playing the same thing for 30 years. They've not really evolved much. Most of their records are exchangable, meaning you could change songs from one record to another and no one would actually have a clue. In the end, I think what Floor means is that well, they sound exactly the same from record to record, not to mention live. And just to quote something, yes, Arch Enemy wouldn't exist without Slayer, and we wouldn't exist without unicellular organisms. Does that make unicellular organisms any better?

Honestly, I don't see the issue here. She doesn't like them, so what? There are a lot of metal bands I don't like, even "legendary" ones, and I'm still a big fan of metal. I was kind of impressed she just said how she felt. Although she could have said it a little nicer, lol. But, hardly affects my opinion about her.

Yeah, she could've been a bit more diplomatic about her opinion, but honestly, what's the fuss. 

I really don't see why in metal circles it is considered totally ok to bash bands like Nightwish, or pop music en gross, but certain bands like Slayer or Iron Maiden remain holy cows, not to be touched. If she said sth like this about Kamelot or Opeth, nobody would raise an eyebrow, but somehow this should cause a scandal. 

Yeah, she could've been a bit more diplomatic about her opinion, but honestly, what's the fuss. 

I really don't see why in metal circles it is considered totally ok to bash bands like Nightwish, or pop music en gross, but certain bands like Slayer or Iron Maiden remain holy cows, not to be touched. If she said sth like this about Kamelot or Opeth, nobody would raise an eyebrow, but somehow this should cause a scandal. 

Eh, I think eyebrows would be raised if she said it about Opeth.  Which is a shame, because Opeth actually are unbelievably boring.

Addendum:  It's like, if the interviewer asked her flat out "Which is the most overrated band in metal today?" that would be fine.  But the problem with this was, that wasn't the question asked and it was just something she chose to say unprovoked.  And that's what's gonna bite her in the ass when she comes under scrutiny.

Praise the queen lord.

Tw2POv.gif

Thrash metal is trash. In fact, most metal is angsty, noisy, try hard trash. Nightwish is one of the few decent ones tbh.

Also, if you haven't noticed, Floor doesn't give a damn. She has trashed bands, fans, radio stations and so on. She tells it like it is and apologizes for nothing. She's pretty much the metal Mariah Carey. That's how it should be.

Hormones

Nice sexism pal. 

Thrash metal is trash. In fact, most metal is angsty, noisy, try hard trash. Nightwish is one of the few decent ones tbh.

That my friends, is why Nightwish attracting a non-metal fanbase is a bad thing.

That my friends, is why Nightwish attracting a non-metal fanbase is a bad thing.

It's the best thing it does. Nightwish transcends metal. 

And at the end of the day, the least thing you can say about Floor is that she's not metal enough.

Jesus Christ.

And at the end of the day, the least thing you can say about Floor is that she's not metal enough.

Jesus Christ.

I don't think you know what transcending means.  Transcending means sticking to the genres best principles and perfecting them while still managing to attract music fans from outside that particular genre.  Black Sabbath does this.  Iron Maiden does this.  Motorhead does this.  Even Slayer does this.  Nightwish doesn't transcend anything.  They have enough goth-isms and Hot Topic-isms to bring in....well, goths who don't like metal.

Also, I don't recall saying Floor is not metal enough.  I said her taste is questionable, but I don't think that's the same thing.

Who cares? If the "metal fanbase" is the dudes who comment on blabbermouth, I'd rather Nightwish attract all the 13 year old emo girls they possibly can instead  :P

HM446UQ6GA5GROAJXNHREYMR2VO7PKRA.jpeg

Jesus Christ.

yok.gif

I have to side with Ahasverus. I'd rather be fan of a band which has a very diverse fanbase from tennage girls to seasoned metalheads than to be fan of a band that only has (closed minded) metalheads as a fanbase.  Ironically, you're proving my point, exactly, JRA. The metal community is so closed that don't have anything to do with other genres or people who like other styles. And that irks me to no end, and that's why I hate to classify myself as a metalhead, because I like to listen to all kinds of music, it just so happens that my favorite bands play metal.

Edit: No, I do think Nightwish appeals to a wider crowd than you think. I knpow several people that hate metal music in general but like Nightwish, especially their latter albums. Just because the bands you listed are famous does not mean they appeal to a wider audience.  I think Nightwish has  all kinds of fans,  not even goth and emo girls.

Actually, metal fanbase is the only thing they could get rid of. 

I do find it ironic that the ones who are trying to defend  the "metal community" are the ones who have been proven to be closed-minded trv metalheads: JRA and GreatEye. 'Nuff said. I do agree that Nightwish do trascendes genres, mostly because...they blend them. They are symphonic metal , you know?

Black Sabbath does this.  Iron Maiden does this.  Motorhead does this.  Even Slayer does this.  Nightwish doesn't transcend anything.  

Also, I don't recall saying Floor is not metal enough.  I said her taste is questionable, but I don't think that's the same thing.

False. Maybe they did, in the 80's, but they have no business in today's landscape. NW still crossovers.

hey have enough goth-isms and Hot Topic-isms to bring in....well, goths who don't like metal.

Wrong again. The NW public are not schollgirls anymore, It's just.. people. Which is why I laugh myself off to metalheads defending the purity of metal, feeling ashamed of liking something normal, banal people also like. God forbid they're not the weird enlightened ones.

I think that kind of people already lost that battle with Nightwish, they're not getting any darker or heavier or rawer. Yet, NW is seen as the metal savior whenever it releases an album and charts everywhere.

For your angry dark tastes there is Epica or Linkin Tarja, I guess.

Black Sabbath does this.  Iron Maiden does this.  Motorhead does this.  Even Slayer does this.  Nightwish doesn't transcend anything.  

False. Maybe they did, in the 80's, but they have no business in today's landscape. NW still crossovers.

Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Slayer have no business in today's landscape?  Pffffffff hahahahahaha  Each of those bands sells out triple the size of the venues Nightwish has in American AND Europe.

And again, you don't know what crossover means.  Does Nightwish crossover to punk crowds?  Hardcore crowds?  Skater crowds?  Rap crowds?  Jazz crowds?   :laugh:   Seriously, just stop, you've already entered a battle of wits unarmed.

Also just because I "defend the metal community" doesn't mean I don't have love for music outside of the genre.  Matter of fact  I think my love for other bands outside of the metal genre (I do believe I'm the only person here who has brought up the name of Garth Hudson of The Band, a keyboard player that in his twilight years could smoke Tuomas as a player on his finest day) has made me even more conservative of a metal fan because you realize that too much blending dilutes the overall sound.  I don't think there's a single person arguing with me against the metal community that has ever heard the songs Master's of War, Chest Fever, Caravan, Coyote, The Night They Drove Ol Dixie Down or Jesus Gave Me Water.

Who cares? If the "metal fanbase" is the dudes who comment on blabbermouth, I'd rather Nightwish attract all the 13 year old emo girls they possibly can instead   :P

Except the second they turn 14 they'll move on to the Millionaires and Weeknd.  :sick:

Just because the bands you listed are famous does not mean they appeal to a wider audience. 

While I appreciate the diplomatic way you're addressing me, you have no idea what you're talking about.  Especially when it comes to Black Sabbath.  Do yourself a favor and look up how Black Sabbath is admired by punk musicians like The Ramones, Henry Rollins and Bille Joe Armstrong.  And Frank Zappa (though he's not exactly punk).

God forbid one listens to the Weeknd AND Nightwish.

While I appreciate the diplomatic way you're addressing me, you have no idea what you're talking about.  Especially when it comes to Black Sabbath.  Do yourself a favor and look up how Black Sabbath is admired by punk musicians like The Ramones, Henry Rollins and Bille Joe Armstrong.  And Frank Zappa (though he's not exactly punk).

Those fresh faced visionaries.

Have you heard the term "dad rock"? 

Seriously, without a demographic study only sales matter. And last time I checked, none of those fossils charted on the top billboard 20 this decade.

You're right, but I said they would stop listening to Nightwish and move on to Weeknd because most 13 year olds are fickle with no taste whatsoever.

uh.....

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1567354/black-sabbath-earns-first-no-1-album-on-billboard-200-chart

http://www.billboard.com/artist/303893/iron-maiden/chart

Even if that wasn't the case, last I checked album sales don't mean anything compared to ticket sales in America.  You ain't ever gonna see Nightwish on this list.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/summer-2016s-30-hottest-tours-20160524/toots-the-maytals-20160523

Yeah yeah I checked. 

But we all know that Nightwish is not bigger because it's signed with Nuclear Blast and not, you know, a real serious label. A Universal/Sony backed NW would top every chart and you know it.

Those fresh faced visionaries.

Have you heard the term "dad rock"? 

So what if they're old?  They're still more respected in music discussion circles than you or Nightwish will ever be.    Also careful with that term.  By your description Nightwish is going to be that in only a couple of years.

Yeah yeah I checked. 

But we all know that Nightwish is not bigger because it's signed with Nuclear Blast and not, you know, a real serious label. A Universal/Sony backed NW would top every chart and you know it.

No....no they really wouldn't.

This handsome lad here has some opinions. I hate fan "mob mentality" its what pop music and metal music have in common.Someone calls your favorite band boring, so what? Time to go on YouTube and rant about it? 

Why are fans of this genre so fragile?

This handsome lad here has some opinions. I hate fan "mob mentality" its what pop music and metal music have in common.Someone calls your favorite band boring, so what? Time to go on YouTube and rant about it? 

Why are fans of this genre so fragile?

You call that ranting?  I call that being woken up from a weed stupor.

I agree on mob mentality, which is why I think Floor is gonna regret knocking Slayer unprovoked.  It's not like Slayer wrote a "pro-immigrant rape" song to be shocking (though at this point I wouldn't put it past them to do so) and the press want women's reactions.  She was asked what's the most metal thing she owned*.

Is it just me or does joining Nightwish make your Press IQ drop 100 points?  Because all the things Floor has gotten in trouble for saying recently have all been since she joined the band.

*and since I'm apparently on the "super-metal" side of the argument apparently, my god what a stupid question.  How do you even answer something like that?  Maybe if you had like special boxset or bootleg of a live gig but "metalness?"  Not even "what's the heaviest thing you own."