JRA

Floor's Metal Test [Metal Hammer]

190 posts in this topic

Or perhaps she just has more perspective now, after having suffered a major burnout? She's already had the opportunity to write and record so much of her own material at this point, I'm thinking it's no longer top priority for her. I don't think joining Nightwish makes her any less proud of all the work she's put into her career prior. She's also about to become a mother. Her life is very different now and it seems she is happy.

Floor didn't originally have any nice words to say about Nightwish back in 2007 when asked about the vocalist drama at the time,

Source?  I'd like to read this.

I assume that Magnus was talking about the interview below and that question in particular?

Interview with Floor by MetalWays in 2007:

M-W: Ok, to conclude, a more general question: what is the most positive thing about being the singer of After Forever? 

Well, the fact that I can sing things that are written by myself: lyrics and melodies. It's great to be able to do that. For instance, look at Anette, or even Tarja from Nightwish, she sang what Tuomas wrote: his lines, his words. And I can do my thing, I'm totally myself in this band, and I think that's the most important thing!

Could have been, but I seem to recall reading a short comment from her on either Dark Passion Play or the split with Tarja. But I could have gotten it mixed up with something else, of course. I never really followed Floor prior to her joining Nightwish.

-I've seen her wear Arch Enemy shirts from time to time.  I hope she knows Arch Enemy wouldn't exist at all with Slayer.

That doesn't mean that she or any other AE fan has to like Slayer's music.

Floor didn't originally have any nice words to say about Nightwish back in 2007 when asked about the vocalist drama at the time,

Source?  I'd like to read this.

I assume that Magnus was talking about the interview below and that question in particular?

Interview with Floor by MetalWays in 2007:

M-W: Ok, to conclude, a more general question: what is the most positive thing about being the singer of After Forever? 

Well, the fact that I can sing things that are written by myself: lyrics and melodies. It's great to be able to do that. For instance, look at Anette, or even Tarja from Nightwish, she sang what Tuomas wrote: his lines, his words. And I can do my thing, I'm totally myself in this band, and I think that's the most important thing!

Oh, the irony of life. 

Um, she was 26 in 2007. She is 35 now. I don't know about you people, but I was massively different at 25 than I am now at 30. Tastes change, and she's a professional singer. She HAS to make money. She did with ReVamp of course, but she'd be stupid to turn down an offer like this. She can still record her own material, she has plenty of downtime in between Nightwish relase-touring cycles. You want to sing your own stuff of course ideally, but realistically that wasn't a good option if she wanted to provide for a family. Keep in mind that her partner is also a metal musician, which in Sabaton doesn't mean he's not payed well, but it does mean they both don't exactly have a secure job. They need to make money now because they don't know for how long they can do it. It's like with athletes, only not as extreme. Musicians are somewhere in between normal people and athletes. They can do their thing longer than athletes, but most don't do it as long as normal people stay in their jobs. 

@Orion: That's not the point. It's like a contemporary composer saying Bach was awful. He doesn't have to like Bach, but you also can't deny what the man did for music. That's Slayer on a much lower level. It's a wording thing, sure, but she could have just clarified and said "you know I didn't mean it like they're a terrible band, I just don't like them". It's about knowing the history of what you do. It's as if a physics professor would say Einstein was an idiot. You can disagree with his theories, but you can't deny his impact on the field.

Please don't tell me we're turning on Floor. Please. Anything but that.

Old quotes and stuff, that's the distant past and a far different landscape, doesn't matter now really, she's happy in the band, and we're far more lucky than we deserve with her at the front.

I mean, why are we turning on Floor again? Anette was loudmouthed, but Floor is loudmouthed AND the best singer so what? Are we really turning her from hero and savior of Nightwish to diva all of a sudden?

Tarja's problem was not that she was a diva, I mean, she IS a diva, it's that it interferred with the music AND the guys. Same with Anette, her "diva" outbreaks started to creep into the band and they were like "lol no you won't" and kicker her out. Meanwhile, Floor has always been opinionated, now, 10 years ago, always, yet she's managed to keep the band's atmosphere great for years now, if she's arrogant or whatever, (I'm not saying she is) she's still holding the band (and the fans, for once) together successfully. She's also a one in a milliom frontwoman so we can't blame her for her high horse, all in the terms of human respect and decency of course. It's also evident that she hasn't reached the "I'm hope I never get back to Greece" phase, not even close.

I beg you please stop this witch hunt else she gets tired of our crap and just takes the ball home. As you can see, she's out of damns to give nowadays.

That does mean her comments are short-sighted and inappropr... oh nevermind, I give up.

Yes, I would have used some different words myself.

@Orion: That's not the point. It's like a contemporary composer saying Bach was awful. He doesn't have to like Bach, but you also can't deny what the man did for music. That's Slayer on a much lower level. It's a wording thing, sure, but she could have just clarified and said "you know I didn't mean it like they're a terrible band, I just don't like them". It's about knowing the history of what you do. It's as if a physics professor would say Einstein was an idiot. You can disagree with his theories, but you can't deny his impact on the field.

But she didn't say they haven't done anything for music, she just said they suck arse, and like I said above, I wouldn't have used the same words she did.

Old quotes and stuff, that's the distant past and a far different landscape, doesn't matter now really, she's happy in the band, and we're far more lucky than we deserve with her at the front.

I mean, why are we turning on Floor again? Anette was loudmouthed, but Floor is loudmouthed AND the best singer so what? Are we really turning her from hero and savior of Nightwish to diva all of a sudden?

Tarja's problem was not that she was a diva, I mean, she IS a diva, it's that it interferred with the music AND the guys. Same with Anette, her "diva" outbreaks started to creep into the band and they were like "lol no you won't" and kicker her out. Meanwhile, Floor has always been opinionated, now, 10 years ago, always, yet she's managed to keep the band's atmosphere great for years now, if she's arrogant or whatever, (I'm not saying she is) she's still holding the band (and the fans, for once) together successfully. She's also a one in a milliom frontwoman so we can't blame her for her high horse, all in the terms of human respect and decency of course. It's also evident that she hasn't reached the "I'm hope I never get back to Greece" phase, not even close.

I beg you please stop this witch hunt else she gets tired of our crap and just takes the ball home. As you can see, she's out of damns to give nowadays.

Sorry, but I think Floor's got a lot of a thicker skin than you're giving her credit for. And no one here is making her a villain or diva or arrogant or a criminal. And no one's been questioning her singing capabilities or frontwoman qualities and her contribution to NW as a band. But if she's got the right to be as opinionated as telling that the band X is terrible, I think we the mere mortals are also entitled to question such wording or think she should have phrased it differently or have not said it at all. And the reminiscing of her old interviews was done more in a humorous or ironic way, rather than mean-spirited, I think all of the people here still think she was the best possible choice for NW. No need to put her on pedestal she doesn't need. I want her as a human of flesh and blood, not as a saviour or hero. 

But she didn't say they haven't done anything for music, she just said they suck arse

Sir, permission to put this in my signature :)

Go ahead. :good:

[..]

Are we really turning her from hero and savior of Nightwish to diva all of a sudden?

Sorry, but I think Floor's got a lot of a thicker skin than you're giving her credit for. And no one here is making her a villain or diva or arrogant or a criminal. And no one's been questioning her singing capabilities or frontwoman qualities and her contribution to NW as a band. But if she's got the right to be as opinionated as telling that the band X is terrible, I think we the mere mortals are also entitled to question such wording or think she should have phrased it differently or have not said it at all. And the reminiscing of her old interviews was done more in a humorous or ironic way, rather than mean-spirited, I think all of the people here still think she was the best possible choice for NW. No need to put her on pedestal she doesn't need. I want her as a human of flesh and blood, not as a saviour or hero. 

Exactly what you said Baki!

As to whether the reaction to Floor is motivated by sexism - IMO, there would probably have been backlash if say, Tuomas or Marco had said the same thing. Nightwish is a big enough band, and Slayer enough of a metal institution, that tensions would rise. But the language and tone of many of the comments aimed at Floor certainly have plentiful elements of sexism within them.

Like, using the word "****" in reference to female genitalia instead of "****", the vernacular word for testicles?

Yes, it's as if women's suffrage never happened. Dark times we're living in.

Actually, I was more referring to things like people writing off her opinion as down to "pregnancy hormones" (and I would bet you a not insubstantial amount of money that if she wasn't pregnant there would be a string of "jokes"/ straight up insults about how she must be on her period and not thinking straight). Because, speaking as a woman, if you ever happen to hold an unpopular opinion, or are stressed or angry, it's often written off as crazy hormonal behaviour rather than a legitimate opinion or feeling. It's deeply patronising.

Or the many comments insulting her looks, or talking about whether the commenters would sleep with her or not - because apparently the most important thing is not a woman's talent, it is that she looks pretty. Even if Floor looked like the back end of a bus (and she doesn't) that wouldn't affect her ability to sing and perform, and the idea that a woman's opinions are only valid if she meets some nebulous "hotness threshold" is troubling and tiring. Particularly since her comments about Slayer, whilst ill judged, made no reference whatsoever to the looks of the bandmembers.

But, you know, heaven forfend some people might find that a little sexist. We have the right to vote after all, that must mean sexism is no more! :P

I... don't want to start an argument here particularly - but... your whole post is basically talking about how open minded fans of European metal and X and Y genres are, and then in the same breath talking about how A, B and C genres that you don't like aren't REAL metal and are really bad and this fan and that don't know what they are talking about.

The American metal scene filled with metalcore, deathcore, whatevercore, numetal, etc is bad. It's really bad right now. That sadly is a fact. The fan base is just as bad.

They shop at *gasp* Hot Topic! They like *horror* BANDS THAT ARE VERY WELL KNOWN! Your whole post is a massive example of metal elitism, WHILST BASHING METAL ELITISM.

Have you even heard half the bands that are being called metal in the USA right now? Half are hardcore bands the other half is post-hardcore. The other part are just hardrock. Then you have deathcore bands being called death metal. 90% of the people who shop Hot Topic don't even listen to metal music yet are willing to buy a Slayer shirt then get mad at people when there called out on not being a fan of Slayer or of metal music at all.

That's not elitism that those are facts. Floor had her opinion acted the same way any one who says they don't like Slipknot, Slayer, etc. If she would have said she did not like Lamb of God the same thing would have happened. If she said she did not like Slipknot same thing and the list goes on.

You know, that genre of rock music marketed to teenagers, with the loud guitars, the zombies and skulls on album covers, the leather jackets, band logo patches and all.

Of course it's less civilized than soccer!

And this is the point and  the problem with the metal scene in the USA right now when it comes to metal music. The fact that  METAL ELITISM is used on people who don't like meatlcore. I'm sorry but 90% of the metalcore bands are nothing but hardcore bands with a few metal elements thrown in here and there. It's not elitism to point out that hardcore music has nothing to do with metal.

Floors whole point is people can like and dislike what they want. I mean I will be honest Nightwish fans are just as bad as bashing bands to or getting mad when someone does not like them.

I'm... confused? So, metal elitism only comes from fans of genres that are, in your opinion "not really metal" - fans of other genres are much more tolerant and Floor is the victim of these "so-called metal fans"? But the real problem in metal elitism is not in fact the elitism, it is the fact that it is directed at people who dislike "not really metal bands"? And actually, Nightwish (a very European band that has encompassed power metal, symphonic metal and even some elements of folk metal) has just as much of an issue with elitism in it's fanbase?

Honestly, I think the main problem with metal elitism (other than the fact it can occasionally make the community a little toxic for existing fans and very unwelcoming for some new fans) is the fact that there's so many different types that it basically comes from everywhere. You've got people that look down on you if you don't like the "big" bands of the genre. You've got people that look down on you if you like any band that is "too big" and plays venues bigger than your local pub. You've got people that look down on you if you don't like one specific genre of metal, and you've got people that look down on you if you like ANY OTHER GENRE than that one.

I am kinda disappointing in Floor, she resembles Anette's attitude in this regard too much. Sure, I don't think any reasonable person would hate her for not liking Slayer, but there is a great deal of difference of stating that something's not your cup of tea, and that someone's music is terrible or extremely boring. And that comment "I am sure they wouldn't listen to my band either" is really immature and presumptuous, to presuppose other people's music taste. Instead of maybe simply admitting her words were a little bit too extreme, she goes all Anette Olzon. 

It's a fair point. The reaction - particularly on social media - has absolutely been blown out of proportion. At the end of the day, it is just Floor's opinion and she has every right not to like Slayer. But if Anette had said the same thing about Nightwish (or even Slayer) then many of the members here talking about how they admire Floor's candor would probably be rushing to criticise Anette for saying something rude and undiplomatic about another band.

That seems harsh. As others have said, she had several years of writing and recording her own songs after that interview. She's also actually had experience of being in the band now - maybe she and the others get along so well that she doesn't mind not writing her own songs? Maybe she'll contribute her own songs in the future? Or maybe now that she's a band member she knows it's important for the band to project a united front and doesn't want to be perceived as criticising her band members in public or starting rumours that she's unhappy with the band? Not to mention, it's not a crime for someone to want to make a living out of what she does - if Floor's happy that she can now make a comfortable living out of singing for several more years and is willing to put aside some of her creative juices so that she can continue to do so, that's a perfectly reasonable decision.

I don't think anyone's turning on Floor on this forum. No one's calling for her to be out of the band. No one's saying she's not a talented singer. No one's calling her every name under the sun. Saying "Her comment was undiplomatic/ badly worded/ unnecessary." or "Criticising famous, long standing bands of the genre is in bad taste generally" (not sure I agree with the opinion but anyway) is not a witch hunt, by any definition. I have every sympathy with her over some of the comments that have been posted on social media, and I hope that it blows over soon, but there is a difference between that and believing that she should be totally exempt from criticism.

Floor is a grown woman who will occasionally make mistakes because she is human. She is not a demon who deserves to be harassed endlessly for them, neither is she a saviour on a pedestal who should never be criticised. And on a similar note, she is a vocalist, about whose talent people will have different opinions and tastes because music is hugely subjective- she has worked in this industry for years, I am sure she is not going to pack it in just because she receives some mild criticism and her voice isn't to some people's tastes - if she were, she would already have done so.

And as for "Packing it in because she's out of damns to give" - let's not get over the top here. There's a world of difference between making a snarky throwaway comment about another band in an interview, that she would probably have already forgotten about if there hadn't been a kickback online about it, and packing in your lucrative job that you really enjoy as the vocalist of a world famous band, just as you are about to give birth to a tiny, expensive human.

In summary:

- Floor's comment was probably not very well judged.

- Acknowledging that doesn't mean you don't like Floor as a vocalist or a person, or want her out of the band.

- Some of the negative reaction has been way over the top

- Like whatever you want.

Honestly, I think the main problem with metal elitism (other than the fact it can occasionally make the community a little toxic for existing fans and very unwelcoming for some new fans) is the fact that there's so many different types that it basically comes from everywhere. You've got people that look down on you if you don't like the "big" bands of the genre. You've got people that look down on you if you like any band that is "too big" and plays venues bigger than your local pub. You've got people that look down on you if you don't like one specific genre of metal, and you've got people that look down on you if you like ANY OTHER GENRE than that one.

Well said.

But if Anette had said the same thing about Nightwish (or even Slayer) then many of the members here talking about how they admire Floor's candor would probably be rushing to criticise Anette for saying something rude and undiplomatic about another band.

Isn' it also a bit presumptuous to presume that everyone who supports Floor's candor is prejudiced against Anette?

I admit that I would raise my eyebrows if just Anette were to refer to NW as "terrible" and "unbelievably boring" - obviously because NW is part of her own musical history. But on many occasions, Anette has not been criticised for her straightforwardness but rather for her inconsistency in her public statements. Personally, I prefer straightforwardness over inconsisteny.

Nevertheless, I don't see any benefit in bringing Anette into this debate.

That does mean her comments are short-sighted and inappropr... oh nevermind, I give up.

But she didn't say they haven't done anything for music, she just said they suck arse, and like I said above, I wouldn't have used the same words she did.

No she didn't, and I don't think she meant it that way either. But there's just a difference between a bad band and a band whose music you don't like. Like, I don't get bands like God Dethroned musically at all, but clearly the guys from God Dethroned can play. As much as their music comes across like noise to me they are not a bad band. There should be just a basic level of respect. I mean this was in an interview, it wasn't like they were in a bar joking around where you say things you don't fully mean for the sake of a joke. And she's a professional musician, not just a fan. She of all people should know how much work a band like Slayer had to put in to get to where they are. I'm not even referring to the first interview, more to the second interview where she had a chance to clear it up. I get she probably was irritated with the backlash she received, but still. That's just a point where as a famous musician you should step back and think for a second about what you want to say.

EDIT: No one's turning on Floor, we're just discussing things. Just praising her greatness all day gets boring really quickly after a while :P

No she didn't, and I don't think she meant it that way either. But there's just a difference between a bad band and a band whose music you don't like. Like, I don't get bands like God Dethroned musically at all, but clearly the guys from God Dethroned can play. As much as their music comes across like noise to me they are not a bad band. There should be just a basic level of respect. I mean this was in an interview, it wasn't like they were in a bar joking around where you say things you don't fully mean for the sake of a joke. And she's a professional musician, not just a fan. She of all people should know how much work a band like Slayer had to put in to get to where they are. I'm not even referring to the first interview, more to the second interview where she had a chance to clear it up. I get she probably was irritated with the backlash she received, but still. That's just a point where as a famous musician you should step back and think for a second about what you want to say.

EDIT: No one's turning on Floor, we're just discussing things. Just praising her greatness all day gets boring really quickly after a while :P

I wasn't saying that too seriously. ;) 

-I've seen her wear Arch Enemy shirts from time to time.  I hope she knows Arch Enemy wouldn't exist at all with Slayer.

It means she has to respect it, which she certainly did not show anything for in her original comment.

It means she has to respect it, which she certainly did not show anything for in her original comment.

Respect music? Maybe fellow musicians, but music itself doesn't ask or care about anyones respect or lack of it.

Well said.

But if Anette had said the same thing about Nightwish (or even Slayer) then many of the members here talking about how they admire Floor's candor would probably be rushing to criticise Anette for saying something rude and undiplomatic about another band.

Isn' it also a bit presumptuous to presume that everyone who supports Floor's candor is prejudiced against Anette?

I admit that I would raise my eyebrows if just Anette were to refer to NW as "terrible" and "unbelievably boring" - obviously because NW is part of her own musical history. But on many occasions, Anette has not been criticised for her straightforwardness but rather for her inconsistency in her public statements. Personally, I prefer straightforwardness over inconsisteny.

Nevertheless, I don't see any benefit in bringing Anette into this debate.

Oh please, we ALL know that had this been Anette this thread would be 29 pages long not 7, pages upon pages of psychological analysis on this woman, stories of feeling personally victimized by her, paragraphs of kissing Floor's booty :P I bet Floor is laughing about the whole thing and just sitting at home eating chocolate.

Come on, who would expect Anette to have ANY sort of opinion on Slayer? 

I am kinda disappointing in Floor, she resembles Anette's attitude in this regard too much. Sure, I don't think any reasonable person would hate her for not liking Slayer, but there is a great deal of difference of stating that something's not your cup of tea, and that someone's music is terrible or extremely boring. And that comment "I am sure they wouldn't listen to my band either" is really immature and presumptuous, to presuppose other people's music taste. Instead of maybe simply admitting her words were a little bit too extreme, she goes all Anette Olzon. 

She is still stating her opinion on the matter when she says there music is terrible. She is bashing the music no matter how you cut it she is bashing the music.

I don't like deathcore I hate the genre. The music sucks and the bands suck. Will a take down the members of the bands? No but I will take a part the music. Just like I will call out bad movies, TV shows, comics, and books. Calling something terrible, bad, etc, etc is part of having any opinion.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who are taking apart the new Star Wars movie and they have ever right to call it terrible. You know what else is terrible? Battle Field Earth that is a terrible godawful movie.

I don't see the problem? Plan 9 from outer space is a terrible movie. Are there people who like it and may think it's great? Sure there is. That's there opinion. Are there people who think Slayer is terrible and godawful? You bet and they have ever right just like Floor to say so.

Saying something that is art which music, movies, etc fall under is terrible is not showing a lack of respect to the people who made it. It is just saying "It could be far better I hear something in there that could be better. As it stands though it's terrible."

There are people that don't like Nightwishs music or Epicas or Metallicas or heck even Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.

I mean who really cares that Floor thinks Slayer's music is terrible. That's her opinion and if people get that hurt over someones opinion about a band they like then they may want to getting of the World Wide Web and seek help.

There are people that don't like Delain flat out hate them. They have ever right that's not going to stop me from ranking them as my number one over all band I enjoy. That is there right to hate there music and to call the music they make terrible.

Come on, who would expect Anette to have ANY sort of opinion on Slayer? 

I can vividly imagine the reply: "Slayer? No, I don't like people slaying other peope. I think it's wrong."

:P  

So, Floor has an opinion about a band. Who cares? I mean, really. Metal fans are so whiny.

I find the Beatles to be incredibly boring and bland. Half of the popular music we have now wouldn't exist without them. So. What.

Opinions, how do they work?

Swearing removed. Please refrain from swearing outside of the Speakers’ Corner area. - Dandelion

I find the Beatles to be incredibly boring and bland.

Good to know.

The problem is, you are - respectfully speaking - pretty irrelevant.

It's not as if you are the frontman or -woman of a huge metal act, are you?

Half of the popular music we have now wouldn't exist without them.

That's... not true.

The Beatles were master songwriters, arrangers and producers, but their stuff mostly drew from existing (and sort-of-popular) styles at any given time.

Skiffle, American rock'n'roll, psychedelia...

I think the Beatles' greatest merit is having perfected those idioms and having been a better Roy Orbison than Roy Orbison, a better Velvet Underground than the Velvet Underground and... well, sometimes, a tolerable substitute for The Doors :)

Opinions, how do they work?

There many theories about that.

Some maintain that if you don't have anything nice to say, you don't say anything :)

Good to know.
The problem is, you are - respectfully speaking - pretty irrelevant.
It's not as if you are the frontman or -woman of a huge metal act, are you?

Dose not matter if someone is in a band or not they have the right to any opinion. Kerry King would say much the same thing.