Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Imagineer

Vuur

77 posts in this topic

Anneke Van Giersbergen fans rejoice! Anneke has formed a new prog metal band togehther with Ed Warby on drums, Jord Otto and Ferry Duijsens on guitars, Johan Van Stratum on bass and Marcela Bovio also on vocals.

15181334_367985640216564_763392721330506

Their debut album will be released next Fall and a tour will follow!

Read more here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/vuurband/about/?ref=page_internal

I'm extremely interested in this band and can't wait for the first sample of their work. I'm also interested on how big of a part Marcela will have and I hope it's a bit more than backing vocals.

Metal Anneke is back!  :music:

Guess they wanna keep The Gentle Storm for the music in which Arjen is involved, as this is basically TGS lineup? Either way, cannot possibly go wrong with Anneke and such a talented band!

So:

vuur.jpg

I think it's a brilliant name, but a bit hard to pronounce for foreigners. Only the possible pronounciation by the non-Dutch should be good for at least 100 posts. Or maybe it will be in Dutch only and for our home market? :P 

I bet Marcela does speak and can sing in quite good Dutch now as well. 

I'm looking forward to this one if Anneke indeed goes back to the heavier stuff!

Dutch metal forces united! Seriously, it's nice to see members of ReVamp and SoP together. I'm quite curious to hear what Anneke is preparing this time!

I can't wait for this. This is absolutely a great news. 

Guess they wanna keep The Gentle Storm for the music in which Arjen is involved, as this is basically TGS lineup? Either way, cannot possibly go wrong with Anneke and such a talented band!

Exactly. She said that they'll ressurect TGS only when both Anneke and Arjen have time to compose music. And she will still release accoustic (pop rock?) music under her own name. Vuur will be her heavier side.

So, there is still her own album coming up early next year, or? 

So, there is still her own album coming up early next year, or? 

I think that proggier and heavier album she kept referring to is this one. 

But, it's Anneke van Giersbergen. Wouldn't be surprised if she manages to cook up some other collaboration as well :laugh: .

Looking forward. You just can't go wrong with this line-up.

Introduction video on Youtube:

Well, already the (clearly not Dutch) voice-over girl can't pronounce it right :giggle: I've thought about it and I think the easiest way to say 'vuur' is to say the German word 'FÜR', only with a much cleaner uuuuuu-sound and a rolling R. If that makes sense :dunno:

Why do I think it's a very good name? Well, because Dutch bands and musicians tend to give their bands long and difficult names, especially when they are in Dutch like: Heideroosjes (little heath roses), Treurwilg (mourning willow), De Jeugd Van Tegenwoordig (the youth of today) etc. Hilarious and easy to your average Dutch, but horrible to pronounce for foreigners AND thereby much more difficult to sell abroad (what always should be a consideration).

It's a bit of the same with band names in English like Golden Earring, Within Temptation, The Gathering. They just don't mouth very well and from a commercial point of view, you should that take into consideration as a Dutch band. I mean, when mentioning these three names in a conversation, others will have lost interest all together after doing it for the third time  :D   

I would never put a TH is a band's name, because it's a difficult part of the word and it slows the word down. So, although I like The Gathering for their music, I would have chosen something else for their name, because putting a TH twice in your name is not nice. You only can have the luxury of a long or difficult name if you're damn good and your music sells anyway. What were Sharon & Co. thinking when they came up with WT? It's a horrible name to say!  

Anneke herself had a mishap with Aqua de Annique and she had to change it. I think it's always been a bit of a Dutch naive treat, although there are enough signs that is has improved (Delain/Epica/Moke/Kensington/Kovacs). Because the world has become smaller and smaller (internet/touring/travelling is much easier), Dutch musicians of today seem to take this in consideration now.

That's why I'm really happy with VUUR for Anneke's new prog-heavy band. It stands for fire/passion/drive and it looks and mouths good. On her way to the top of the Billboard 100! She deserves it!

As Imagineer said, I also hope that Marcela will get a more prominent role, for she has a very good voice. After the success of The Gentle Storm, Anneke and Marcela and the others must have thought:"here lies some real artistic and commercial potential for us!".

Will VUUR be a Gentle Storm 2.0 (however, without Arjen's influence) or a The Gathering 3.0? I hope it'll be a mix.

edited: 2-12-2016  

2017 can't come soon enough - sooo looking forward to this new collaboration! :music:

Nice to see that Marcela is on board and Jord who made a good impression with Revamp.

I think it's a brilliant name, but a bit hard to pronounce for foreigners. 

I remember the word (and its pronunciation) from the Dutch metal radio programme "VARA's Vuurwerk", which was aired on Hilversum 3 way back in the eighties and which I used to listen to regularly.

I'm looking forward to this one if Anneke indeed goes back to the heavier stuff! 

So am I. When I saw Anneke with The Sirens twice in 2014, the songs by her I enjoyed most were those from "Mandylion".

@Burkhard

It's very funny and very nice to hear that you listended to 'Vuurwerk', while I have never heard of it (or it's part of my dementia). :whistle:

However, I did listen every week to Alfred Lagarde's 'Betonuur' (hour of concrete) on Hilversum 3, by the VARA as well. Hardrock and heavy metal were the main ingredients in that show. It was seriously heavy!!! At the end they played  'The Heaviest Five', chosen by the listeners. :dwarf:

It was broadcasted from 1976 till 1982, when Lagarde went to a commercial station and as so often, the appeal goes with the man who makes it. 

Some foreigners thought Hilversum I - IV were seperate towns!  :music:  There was a lot of protest when they changed it into the boring Radio I - IV. They took away some nice nostalgia with it and it was the beginning of the end for proper radio stations over here. In that time there were quite a few shows you just didn't want to miss. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I listen to the radio with purpose and it was certainly not Radio 3. 

Herman van Veen (very well known in Germany by the way) made a song about Hilversum 3 (dripping with sentiment):

@Burkhard

It's very funny and very nice to hear that you listended to 'Vuurwerk', while I have never heard of it (or it's part of my dementia). :whistle:

However, I did listen every week to Alfred Lagarde's 'Betonuur' (hour of concrete) on Hilversum 3, by the VARA as well. Hardrock and heavy metal were the main ingredients in that show. It was seriously heavy!!! At the end they played  'The Heaviest Five', chosen by the listeners. :dwarf:

It was broadcasted from 1976 till 1982, 

I didn't get into metal before 1984, which explains why I never heard (of) "Betonuur". I think there was another Dutch metal programme after Vara's Vuurwerk. According to my memory, it was called "Bad Girl" and it had a female host, but I couldn't find any information about it online. (I hope I won't get accused of derailing this topic because of this off-topic reply.)

Studio update:

Sounds very promising.

Just found this, the first part of the members of Vuur (Anneke, Marcela and Jord) presenting the playlists of their lives. (Anneke also remembers Vara's Vuurwerk.)

I'm leaving VUUR

With pain in my heart I regret to inform you that I have decided to leave VUUR. The past few months I’ve been working with Anneke the rest of the guys on what will be the band’s debut album, but it wasn’t until last week when we started the vocal recordings that Anneke and I realised that we both wanted to take very different directions when it came to the sound and approach of the vocals.

We looked for a way to make it work, a possible compromise perhaps; but the thought that one of us wouldn’t be entirely happy with the end result was unbearable. We're afraid that we will regret this in the future and that it somehow will hurt our friendship; we respect each other too much to let that happen.

I’m truly devastated, because I’m a huge fan of Anneke and every single member of the band; they’re all incredibly sweet people, as well as top notch musicians. Plus, the songs are so fantastic… this is going to be a revolutionary album! But I have to follow my heart and choose for what I think in the future will bring me (and the rest of the band) happiness, no matter how hard it feels right now.

Anneke, Fer, Jord, Johan and Ed: you guys are THE BEST. I’d wish you luck but you don’t need it, you are going to ROCK this world

Damn, that's too bad! I really liked that Marcela was on the band as well, and their voices sound amazing together!

I think that's a serious setback for the band when it comes to the depth of their music. Marcela is a seriously good singer and would have been a very good combination/addition with/to Anneke's voice. It was one of the things I was most looking forward to;  those two singing together! As I have said before, I think Anneke's voice shines better singing with others.

But I guess, better now than later. Good on Marcela for recognizing the issues and being a step ahead of eventual problems!

Wise choice from Marcela. So sad, though.
Both were a powerful duet during The Gentle Storm shows, their voices sounded so beautiful together. Now it'll be a bit strange hearing Marcela on the album but not live.

Anyway, I'm glad she chose not ruining their friendship instead of making a fuss about it and take advantage of the whole situation, you know, like.... most of the singers who left their bands.

Sad. But it happens. 

Watching Anneke and Marcela giggling like schoolgirls while doing some silly stuff together in some those backstage-clips they've posted made me think this is a match made in heaven. But, they are both experienced enough performers and they've seen enough to know that stuff like this can jeopardize their personal relationship as well eventually.  Wise choice. But still, I would have wanted to see them singing together, for sure. 

And on the more positive news, Vuur will be supporting Epica on their European tour. Hoping for some Finnish dates in the future. 

Damn, that's sad. The thing that made me look forwards the most to this album was the combination of both singers. Now that Marcela has left, I'm not as interested anymore. Don't get me wrong, I think it might be a really good album, but in the end it might sound like just another Anneke album. Again, she is good, but she is not Arjen Lucassen or Devin Townsend, who can record a dozen projects and still sound different. Still, I'm gonna listen to it when it comes out.

Agree with all of the above made remarks.

Personallly, I think VUUR needs an extra singer to make this band something special. Any idea who would do a vocal good combination with Anneke, apart from the obvious and not available frontrunners? Someone who lives more in the shadows of the rock genre and doesn't have a specific band? I can't come up that easily with one. For me, a male singer would also be a good option!:good: Maybe even more than a female one.