GhostHell

The Upcoming Nightwish Album

1,059 posts in this topic

On 12/8/2018 at 8:43 PM, Nightwalker said:

According to Marco, the new album might be "quite heavy music with a lot of different varieties and atmospheres. Progressive, folkish and symphonic."

This sounds great to me

Just caught this off Reddit:

Nightwish is performing today at Turku, and tomorrow at Helsinki. So there was this short article in Ilta-Sanomat (finnish tabloid) about Nightwish. Just two pages; mostly about very succesful Decades-tour, and the most memorable gigs from the band members perspective. Second time at Wembley, Praha, Krakow etc.

So this tour is about to end, and they are going to focus on the new album next year. Tuomas didn't say anything else about the album, but revealed: 'Let' s just say, that the best tv-series of all time - british Black Mirror - has offered many moments of inspiration'

This sounds un-Nightwish-y! Makes me think of what Within Temptation is doing with Resist thematically. I haven't watched Black Mirror myself, though. Could be fun if it turns out to actually mean something!

1 hour ago, NeoGeorg said:

This sounds un-Nightwish-y! Makes me think of what Within Temptation is doing with Resist thematically. I haven't watched Black Mirror myself, though. Could be fun if it turns out to actually mean something!

Watch Black Mirror, like, immediately! :) You won't regret 

48208706_10156336480883052_6318860438264

Todays paper in Finland. New comments from Tuomas that I havent heard... 😮
- ”We’re are going to do this still for a long time. I wouldnt be suprised if Nightwish still existed after 15-20 years from now.”
- ”A little bit about the theme of the next album: British tv-show Black Mirror has given me many moments of inspiration”
- ”The plan at the moment is that next time we start touring on spring 2020”

1 hour ago, NeoGeorg said:

It does sound a bit like Resist.  And like a Muse album or something.  Ugh.  I'd rather not have an album with such pointed social commentary(as Black Mirror is so good at - in a terrifying way!)...but if it's what Tuomas is currently passionate about, I guess it could be good?  I would be tempted to think that the main message of album would be that we should be connecting to each other as fellow human beings in a real way and not be warped by the technology that surrounds us.  Maybe?  This is a lot of extrapolating, just thinking out loud here. :)

GreatEye - you beat me by about one second. :P  Also...spring 2020!!!  I'm excited.  Of course, being in US, I will probably have to wait until end of 2020 or maybe spring 2021.

An album with Black Mirror vibes definitely sounds very interesting! I really like the show (well, not all episodes) and I think it has the potential of being great.

Oh shut up Tuomas. We all know The Wire is the greatest TV-series of all time. Or Band of Brothers.

I have nothing more to contribute to this thread. Carry on.

Black Mirror theme sounds great, if somewhat overdone. 

Black Mirror? What is that and what about? Is it bad that Tuomas gets inspired by that for the upcoming Nw album??

Maybe a one of the songs or album title will be " The Entire History of You"  ;)

7 minutes ago, Speckofdust said:

Black Mirror? What is that and what about? Is it bad that Tuomas gets inspired by that for the upcoming Nw album??

It's a series of unrelated dystopian stories dealing with technology, today moral values, etc. Watch it, it'll worth it. No more than 6 episodes per season (only 4 seasons, the 5th is in the making I guess). The music from the show is really nice too.

The fifth season is rumored to come out on the 28th and I really hope it happens! Maybe more inspiration for Tuomas to finish up the lyrics :P

On 12/14/2018 at 9:07 AM, Encaitar said:

It does sound a bit like Resist.  And like a Muse album or something.  Ugh.  I'd rather not have an album with such pointed social commentary(as Black Mirror is so good at - in a terrifying way!)...but if it's what Tuomas is currently passionate about, I guess it could be good?  I would be tempted to think that the main message of album would be that we should be connecting to each other as fellow human beings in a real way and not be warped by the technology that surrounds us.  Maybe?  This is a lot of extrapolating, just thinking out loud here. :)

GreatEye - you beat me by about one second. :P  Also...spring 2020!!!  I'm excited.  Of course, being in US, I will probably have to wait until end of 2020 or maybe spring 2021.

Last time they went on tour, they played North America first.  Perhaps we'll be lucky again. :D 

Also, a heavy, progressive album with Black Mirror-ish themes actually sounds quite promising to me!

On 12/16/2018 at 12:53 AM, Mainshow said:

I'm up for a dystopian themed album! <3

I second this.

Anything would be better than the life praising on EFMB, really, though this sounds particularly interesting.

It would also work with the  heavier material that Marco has spoken about.

I just hope that the fact that Tuomas has been working on the new album since early 2018 gives them enough time to polish every single detail of the new songs.

Thinking about it, EFMB was written after the Scrooge release, right? So, mid-2014 they just went to the campsite to record the demos, and that means he had only few months for the writing process? 

It's not that I consider EFMB a bad album, I really like it, but I think they had a large room for improvement. Maybe they needed more time, and now that they're having it, it could be a good omen. Last time I had a LOT of expectations for EFMB, and when I listened to it for the first time it was ... different from what I'd expected. I'll try not to have such high hopes for NW9. Or mabye get ready for a disappointment, sometimes it works for me :P

On 12/15/2018 at 4:07 AM, GreatEye said:

- ”We’re are going to do this still for a long time. I wouldnt be suprised if Nightwish still existed after 15-20 years from now.”

15 years? Awesome, that's just enough time for:

-2 Nightwish albums

-1 Nightwish "world" tour (America, Europe, a second American leg, a festival leg, and a second European leg) 

-5 AURI albums

-3 AURI Finnish tours

-2 AURI world tours with a full orchestra and back up Alice in Wonderland dancers) 

Forgive me, I'm feeling far too cynical today :P

6 hours ago, The_Black_Rose said:

15 years? Awesome, that's just enough time for:

-2 Nightwish albums

-1 Nightwish "world" tour (America, Europe, a second American leg, a festival leg, and a second European leg) 

-5 AURI albums

-3 AURI Finnish tours

-2 AURI world tours with a full orchestra and back up Alice in Wonderland dancers) 

Forgive me, I'm feeling far too cynical today :P

^ Literally nightmare for me. Maybe 5 NW and 1 Auri is good enough. 

1 hour ago, Speckofdust said:

When Nightwish will release the 10th album Tuomas will be almost 50 years old ; D

"Tenth Album Down"?

You heard it here first.....

On 12/9/2018 at 8:37 PM, GreatEye said:

Tuomas always says that nobody in the band listened a single bar from the new songs. Somebody's lying :P

Actually here's a very recent italian interview with Marco where he says that he has heard some of the demos made by Tuomas already but that he can't tell much about it yet. He also tells a bit about his feelings on playing the old songs during the Decades tour (apparently he really likes playing Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean :D), about Floor as a vocalist and a bit about his current relationship with Tarja. 

Regarding the topic I have to say that I'm really looking forward to this new album. I really liked Endless Form Most Beautiful but I do agree with many others that Floor was a bit underutilized on the album when it comes to her vocal capabilities. Tuomas and Floor both said earlier that they don't want to use different vocal styles just for the sake of using them and that vocals have to serve and suit the song and I agree with them there. However I have to say that I feel that there are some songs on EFMB that could have benefited from the use of a different vocal style. I think one of the reasons Nightwish is so great is that they've always followed their artistic vision without compromises and I'm sure that's what they'll do with their next album as well.

But of course every fan has a certain "dream direction" where they wish the band would move towards with their next release and I'm no exception in that sense :pardon: It's no secret that I simply love Imaginaerum. I liked the variety, progressiveness and different styles there and the orchestrations are just awesome. If they could somehow combine that with the more band oriented vibe they had on EFMB and maybe put in some Century Child esque heaviness I would definately be hooked. I also love the folk elements but I wish they wouldn't do just another Last Of The Wilds, I Want My Tears Back or My Walden but find some new ways to use those instruments. Maybe a dark, atmospheric ballad type song with some melancholic Oceanborn style flutes and whistles? Anyway I'm more than excited and I'm sure the band is going to deliver a great album once again! :yahoo:

Is it me or do Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum  sound "better"? Not musically, but better recorded and mixed.