GhostHell

The Upcoming Nightwish Album

493 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2019 at 3:17 PM, NeoGeorg said:

Friends, acquaintances and everyone else... Here we go. :sunny:

I originally joined these forums a few days before Élan was released, so it's my first time taking part of the hype from day one. Now let's hope the band teases us just enough along the way.

On 7/1/2019 at 5:02 PM, Serena said:

Second time!!!

Third time for me, since I became a fan during the DPP era.  Which makes Imaginaerum the first album where I got to take part in the hype.

is it normal to enter in teecermb instagam four times per day looking for news??? My hype is out of control. I need some news, some video, interview.... ANYTHING!

52 minutes ago, Nihilist said:

is it normal to enter in teecermb instagam four times per day looking for news???

mood

I dunno about you guys but for me the hype usually starts when London and Pip enter the picture. It's been that way since DPP. 

It's around that time we usually get pretty good and detailed written previews of what the songs are and what their general mood is. Also when interviews pick up.

Of course, I don't for a second doubt that this will be the "biggest", "heaviest" and "most ambitious album yet" again when the previews start rolling in.

Pip will be 72 later this year. I wonder if this will be his final collaboration with Nightwish. (Did they confirm he's involved at all this time, even?) 

I wouldn't be surprised if they go smaller, not bigger, with this album. More band oriented, as was said about Endless Forms Most Beautiful. Don't know how accurate that turned out to be... Tuomas said the orchestra might be used in new ways this time around.

Hope they don't use too much orchestra this time, I really want something heavy. 

^ I don't see how one negates the other. Their heaviest song (MPG) is at the same time their more orchestral one (well, maybe not the most orchestral, but you get my point). I'd love something like that tbh. Heavy but orchestral at the same time.

Sooo why is noone talking about Floor's tatto? I wonder what it could be. I mean, they don't even have final versions of the songs and probably nothing artwork-related and she gets a tattoo about the new album? It must be something she really relates to. OH, the excitement!

3 hours ago, Imagineer said:

^ I don't see how one negates the other. Their heaviest song (MPG) is at the same time their more orchestral one (well, maybe not the most orchestral, but you get my point). I'd love something like that tbh. Heavy but orchestral at the same time.

Sooo why is noone talking about Floor's tatto? I wonder what it could be. I mean, they don't even have final versions of the songs and probably nothing artwork-related and she gets a tattoo about the new album? It must be something she really relates to. OH, the excitement!

No reason orchestral has to mean dainty (or even refined for that matter). The orchestration (choice of instruments) can affect this but there's a wide palette here in both sounds and mood/style.

Personally my interest is how the backing track compliments the live music. It must be about the band first. That said, too often orchestral tracks are so misused, the life ripped out of them in the mixing, that I'd rather they were just not included at all! Simple rule: is it making the work stronger? If no, why use it?

Is Floor's tattoo about the new album? I don't know. I've no insider (or outsider inside) knowledge. Seems it would be premature but if true suggests she knows the new material very well already and likes it very much. That would be an excellent omen!

Orchestra is just overused to me. I still like it however it doesn't sound unique anymore. I like EFMB because of the lyrics but musically it was meh (not counting TGSOE). If NW already evolved it's vocals I think it's time to do the same musically talking, more band sound is what I need. I'm on the point that I know what to except from them and I need a new feeling I think. Four albums in a row with orchestra is just too much. 

4 hours ago, Figment-of-me said:

Is Floor's tattoo about the new album? I don't know. I've no insider (or outsider inside) knowledge. Seems it would be premature but if true suggests she knows the new material very well already and likes it very much. That would be an excellent omen!

This what she posted on Facebook:

" There will be more tales to tell you see I have already made a tattoo on my leg while I was at it…working on my flower and H…But that story is yet to begin and refers to the new Nightwish album. To make you curious I will not tell you anything more. But what a story is about to unfold!!! "

15 minutes ago, NighttimeBird said:

This what she posted on Facebook:

" There will be more tales to tell you see I have already made a tattoo on my leg while I was at it…working on my flower and H…But that story is yet to begin and refers to the new Nightwish album. To make you curious I will not tell you anything more. But what a story is about to unfold!!! "

Oh, a deliberate tease! Naughty girl!

Hope it's not one of those, "two musicians walk into a bar" type tales... :giggle:

The orchestra Is Nice and all but yeah time for a change. Maybe they can use some electronics like WT.

On 7/2/2019 at 12:32 PM, JRA said:

That....does not look like Jukka's drumkit.

I don't think JUkka will return. I mean, for him to return, not only would he need to be rid of his problems (for which I've known that sometimes they are permanent), he would also require  A LOT of practice. Imagine how much skill he has lost on this five years. He's not in the physical shape the band requires. Perhaps Kai will record the album, tour with them a bit while Jukka regains his skills. But I doubt it. Anyway, I don't mind, I'm a Kai fan. 

7 hours ago, Ahasverus said:

The orchestra Is Nice and all but yeah time for a change. Maybe they can use some electronics like WT.

God please,no...

I just had Plamen answer my guestion , and yes summer camp has begun. Cant wait for updates and progress reports from the band. 

On 7/10/2019 at 9:45 AM, Noahs Reign said:

I just had Plamen answer my guestion , and yes summer camp has begun. Cant wait for updates and progress reports from the band. 

In case you've missed it: you can actually follow the Summer Camp progress via Tero's Instagram account or Floor Jansen's official newsletter (can't find the link right now, sorry). Or you can check this topic that will be updated by all the forum users, usually info taken from all the people involved in the new album, as the ones mentioned above. Speaking of which, Tero has uploaded some pics from the demo recordings (originally done by Tuomas), the ones they're rehearsing right now with all the band, so they can add their own approach to the songs, work on details and stuff. And he also uploaded a quick video from the camp site with a wonderful view.

Floor just told us through her newsletter that she's joining the summer camp very soon:

They start with the instruments, then I come in with some vocals, and then Troy comes in with his voice, uilleann pipes, whistles and guitar and…well. I am thrilled to work on new stuff and already can’t wait to share more but you know that we like to build up the suspension a bit haha!

So it's finally time for the upcoming album, it felt like ages since EFMB. I am interested on how Tuomas will input some Black Mirror influences on the songs, once that series is really diverse and deals with all kind of stuff.

About the use of orchestra I have a feeling it will be decreased this time and I'm totally okay if it goes along with the album proposal. I just hope we'll have more Floor and Marco's duets, more guitars and more keyboards. :)

17 hours ago, Damian said:

In case you've missed it: you can actually follow the Summer Camp progress via Tero's Instagram account or Floor Jansen's official newsletter (can't find the link right now, sorry). Or you can check this topic that will be updated by all the forum users, usually info taken from all the people involved in the new album, as the ones mentioned above. Speaking of which, Tero has uploaded some pics from the demo recordings (originally done by Tuomas), the ones they're rehearsing right now with all the band, so they can add their own approach to the songs, work on details and stuff before getting into the studio. And he also uploaded a quick video from the camp site with a wonderful view.

Floor just told us through her newsletter that she's joining the summer camp very soon:

So summer camp is not the actual recordings??

25 minutes ago, Speckofdust said:

From my understanding, since Imaginaerum most of the recordings do happen in the summer camp. 

As far as I remember, Imaginaerum has been recorded in studio, at least all the vocals. But everything except for orchestra and choirs for EFMB has been recorded in summer camp to enhance the feeling of a more band-oriented album.

As for the forthcoming album hype, I enjoy the little joy I feel regarding all the waiting of the news, the photos, the feeling we're here at last, at the moment when new album takes shape and is being arranged.

I'm a very longtime fan, I started to listen to NW back in 2002 or 2003, so it's been, like, 16-17 years I travel along with this band. Half of my life literally. And I'm no longer an enthusiastic teenager, so it has been a bit hard for me to adjust to this new feeling towards the band, that nowadays, in fact, it is not such an important part of my life, and in the end it's just music. While 10 years ago it felt like passionately following the band, surfing the net for live videos from current tour and interviews, doing a lot of stuff for fanclub and etc, was my primary hobby and a way to spend a lot of time. It's a really strange feeling nowadays, but I still like the fact that there's a new album in the making and I have the desire to wait for it. 

On 7/9/2019 at 3:23 PM, Ahasverus said:

Please no. At least not in the cheap sounding cringy way WT uses them.

@Hevein It's just music - which is just life itself. But seriously, how this can hit a younger person involves self-identity. You hear a work and feel like this was something you always believed, but here is someone saying it so much better. You're drawn in... passion is a natural outcome!

Then the rest of life happens. You're creating and facing your own dreams and troubles, not living those of others. Maybe "just music" and other passions get pushed aside or throttled back. And there's not so much time to be an adoring fan.

For me, passion for music has always had an element of personal risk. Watching Nightwish and especially Floor perform has helped with an already building new relationship to this passion. Yes it can hurt, but at this point in life I can take it. I can trust in that and fully engage. Hard to properly express how grateful I am!

6 hours ago, Speckofdust said:

You're right. My bad.

What Hevein said is almost exactly how it is for me as well.

I have a feeling Tuomas has been influenced by the Decades tour when writing material for the new album.