GhostHell

The Upcoming Nightwish Album

612 posts in this topic

Kai just posted a status on his FB profile saying that the drums for the new album is done and recorded (only some percussion overdubs left). 

Can't believe how fast this album progress is going, it's weird to me that new music from Nightwish are soon on the horizon

1 minute ago, Marius said:

Kai just posted a status on his FB profile saying that the drums for the new album is done and recorded (only some percussion overdubs left). 

Can't believe how fast this album progress is going, it's weird to me that new music from Nightwish are soon on the horizon

Drum recordings often goes fast

3 hours ago, Moon Ash said:

I still can't believe it's happening:clap:
EFMB feels like ages ago...

It *was* ages ago. 

:P

(I have many more grey hairs now than I did back then...)

2 hours ago, Encaitar said:

It *was* ages ago. 

:P

(I have many more grey hairs now than I did back then...)

And so do the band members...

I'm very excited for the album, but my hype level is much more sensible than before. After Once completely blew my mind in 2004, I was waiting for DPP like a maniac. The songs then leaked one by one with bad quality and I did not even initially like most of them. It was one of the most disappointing things I ever experienced. I had much less hope for the next album, but turns out Imaginaerum was fantastic from the very first listening. This resulted in me waiting for EFMB like a maniac again, even more so when I knew Floor was going to be singing. Turned out EFMB was even more disappointing than DPP on the first listening. I remember being so devastated that I made a rage post on this forum right after.

Today I consider EFMB and DPP to be much better than Once. Imaginaerum depends on the day.

For the new album, I'm trying to have as little expectations as possible. I'll probably end up liking it anyway, sooner or later.

I'm so excited to hear official updates from the album finally. I know the new album will be so good and have a little surprise factor what I think almost all the NW albums in the past had. I'm also huge fan of the Auri album and the Scrooge album too! What I'm hoping right now is the making of videos! 

Here's the playlist for the EFMB making of vids, I wish they did some video updates for the new album, something like this, it made the wait much more exciting:

Now, If only Tuomas, Emppu or Marco had some social networks to keep us updated when their instruments are recorded...

It's great seing Tuomas smiling!!!! Maybe Marco might update us... the hype keeps growing!

4 hours ago, Symphoniker said:

Now, If only Tuomas, Emppu or Marco had some social networks to keep us updated when their instruments are recorded...

Marco has one nowadays, but haven't updated anything regarding the new NW album yet:

Oh wait, he shared this one a few weeks ago:

Please avoid double posting -Damian

15 hours ago, Symphoniker said:

Does anyone else feel this website could use some love from the band? I'm all great with them each working up their own social media but surely the "official website" deserves some effort?

For example the News section has zero posts?! Most content is user/fan derived, which is fine, but other than a few very involved mods (love @Damian's input, appreciate the editorial effort and fear the wrath of the @dragonprincess etc.), am I just completely missing what actually makes this "official"?

Cool the band members have accounts, but most of them have never logged in! I'd rather they spend their time getting inspired and making great music, sure, but how about hiring someone to mirror their Facebook or Twitter etc. comments under their own account here? Or to ghost write some prepared statements? Even the illusion that there was fan interaction here must cause some buzz...

Just a thought

2 hours ago, Figment-of-me said:

but surely the "official website" deserves some effort?

I agree.

Every big band has a Community Manager... Nobody pretends that Tuomas in person spend time writing posts and uploading photos and videos on instagram, twitter or in the website. I ignore why Nightwish (that is a very calculating band in what plans, schedule, and albums promotion respect,) seems doesn't care about social media in XXI century. It isn´t smart.

I think the reason Nightwish isn't the most social media savvy band is partly because Tuomas isn't interested in it/has an aversion to it, and at the end of the day Nightwish is his band and on some level he influences how Nightwish the company is run. (He might not make the day to day decisions regarding social media, but at the end of the day, he once picked the people in the band and the people managing the band and it's his influence regarding the mindset of the poeple who work for the band.)

Nightwish is a band that grew big before the social media of today, and I think the  managers of the Nightwish oiltank don't see it as quite an important way to reach people compared to managers and artists in other, younger, smaller bands.

That said, it's not as though they don't use social media at all, the official Nightwish facebook is updated pretty frequently. It's just not that personal. (Do fans require a personal connection, and what are the benefits/drawbacks to fans/artist what is good vs bad social media information, personal integrity vs transparancy and relateability and who does it benefit etc? I think it's an interesting topic... There was a panel on this during Inferno festival this year but I missed that. I could talk more about this.)

Floor is good at social media, because she's had use for it. She has needed it. Same goes for Kai.

Maybe Nightwish as a band feel that they can use social media on their terms, mainly to share dry information, and don't have to get personal or engage much. They don't need to. 

(Or do they? How much importance does social media prescence have on their fanbase today? ...)

@Figment-of-meThis incarnation of the NW forum has gained official status and is managed by Carol. In the past she has also run a personal website for Tuomas, however it's been down for quite some time, and on Tuomas page on the nw.com it says that is just an official fan site. I haven't seen a lot of Carol around here lately, maybe she's busy with other things and not so interested in it anymore. I have no idea.

2 hours ago, Eilenna said:

Nightwish is a band that grew big before the social media of today, and I think the  managers of the Nightwish oiltank don't see it as quite an important way to reach people compared to managers and artists in other, younger, smaller bands.

mmm.... Strange excuse. The Rolling Stones has a frequent use of social media and they grew as a band when nobody knew what internet means. :laugh:

If you do music to sell discs I imagine that you are insterested in the diffusion of your material and interested to mantain and make grow your fanbase (customers). If you don´t use social media apps personaly, or don´t like it at all it doesn´t care, is only a commercial tool, you only have to contract a young community manager.

The Rolling Stones are English. Finns are unsocial people. We don't use such media. Less talking and more doing.

Might also have something to do with Tuomas.. he said in many occasions that he does music more for what brings it to him than for money... and being finnish doesn't help with wanting to use social media more. Apart from that I would love to have them share a little bit more.. don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't change a thing since the end results are all the album we know and love. Our Maestro might just be a little different 😂

As far as sharing information on the new album is concerned, I would prefer written reports by each band member, like they used to do for Once and DPP. These were way more informative and funny than all those videos and trailers they shared for the last albums. 

1 hour ago, whitenoise said:

The Rolling Stones are English. Finns are unsocial people. We don't use such media. Less talking and more doing.

Funny I keep hearing how unsociable the Finns are but that doesn't match up with my personal experience (said purely from this individual perspective). Reserved or cautious yes, but in olden days I spent a fair amount of time around a campfire with Finns and several bottles of vodka and found them very agreeable! I don't drink with the ones I know today but find them very nice as well.

So I terms of social media I'm trying to think of pre-internet days. Vague impressions of fan newsletters swirl around. Did these happen? But as a thought experiment I'd imagine a simple band liaison system. I'll take a crack at exposition here and others who know what they're talking about can pull it apart. "Hi Ms Jansen, hope things are well. For this month's band update I was thinking of a description of what you hear/are provided when you lay down a vocal track. Here's a rough draft of the idea, if you'd send a few point form details or comments? I can get this back to you for release approval by early next week..." (totally making this up of course)

If the writer knew the band and the industry this could take all of minutes per month/quarter whatever of the band's time? An uninformed guess. Anyway as always they will choose to do exactly as they please and we'll enjoy what we get from it! :music:

On 8/10/2019 at 11:05 AM, Figment-of-me said:

Funny I keep hearing how unsociable the Finns are but that doesn't match up with my personal experience (said purely from this individual perspective). Reserved or cautious yes, but in olden days I spent a fair amount of time around a campfire with Finns and several bottles of vodka and found them very agreeable! I don't drink with the ones I know today but find them very nice as well.

Our government levies a tax on talking indirectly through high alcohol tax rates.

However the lack of small talk is not a major problem for everyone.

On 8/10/2019 at 10:05 AM, Baki said:

As far as sharing information on the new album is concerned, I would prefer written reports by each band member, like they used to do for Once and DPP. These were way more informative and funny than all those videos and trailers they shared for the last albums. 

Makes sense. Videos might be dull because of the fact that they would not want people to hear anything from the making process before the album release (they muted the parts in EFMB making of vids, yeah it kind of spoils the album if you hear all the riffs and singing parts beforehand). Therefore there's not much sense in those kind of videos, except if they release them after the album release, which would be exciting to see in detail how the album was made. The making of videos from the previous albums, from the Angel and Abbey Road recording studios for example, when the orchestral recordings happened, were so satisfying to watch.

They have done these videos in the past, and that is why I'm kind of looking forward of these, but it would definitely be understandable if they chose not to make them. It's an effort from them and the making of the album itself is stressful enough. 

Yeah, I'd much rather have written reports. The ones for Imaginaerum were also pretty cool.

I'd like something at all...anything...but I'll try to be patient.  When typically do they announce the album title and cover art?  Several months out still?

32 minutes ago, Encaitar said:

When typically do they announce the album title and cover art?  Several months out still?

They revealed EFMB title and cover art three months before release (on December 22, release March 27). It's up to Nuclear Blast when it comes to the actual release date. (Children of Bodom, also on Nuclear Blast, finished the record many months before the release.)

Tuomas has mentioned in interviews that it's early 2020 release (if everything goes as planned) so I would assume the title and cover art is out before the end of the year.