GhostHell

The Upcoming Nightwish Album

971 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, icebreaker said:

I assume Troy's instruments and vocals are going to come next, before the orchestration. Everything else has already been recorded. 

Tuomas key parts recorded too??

1 hour ago, Speckofdust said:

Tuomas key parts recorded too??

Ah, not sure about that. Don't know how much they'll have to record there anyways or if they can use most of the demo stuff he already made. 

Yesterday somebody asked on Tee's instagram which part are they recording now. he responded "synths and editing and cleaning vocal tracks"

"so tuomas parts?" 

"yez"

Troy just posted on Facebook that he was involved in recording readings by (quite accomplished) actress Geraldine James in London today... So what do you think? Nightwish related or nah?

Silly thought perhaps, but what else could he be working on? :D

He was also awestruck by her, apparently.

A splendid day was had in London recording the sublime voice of the magnificent Geraldine James. Geraldine is one of England’s (the worlds) finest actresses and due to my awestruck response to her reading, I forgot to get a photo of the pair of us drinking tea...damn!

1 hour ago, i-slander said:

Yesterday somebody asked on Tee's instagram which part are they recording now. he responded "synths and editing and cleaning vocal tracks"

"so tuomas parts?" 

"yez"

That somebody was me :P

The photographer who made the Photoshoot with the Band for the upcoming Album/Tour-Promotion wrote a Blog-Entry about this experience:

https://www.beckflash.nl/post/vriendschap-finland-en-een-speciale-fotoshoot?fbclid=IwAR2DXqwUkVHWeBtO_HNZwMHm2H4HU0lzvGowCIwzA8dZbCz5VsDeyJ32u4A

Its in Dutch, but I think Google Translate will just do fine to get at least some aspects :D

6 hours ago, crypt said:

The photographer who made the Photoshoot with the Band for the upcoming Album/Tour-Promotion wrote a Blog-Entry about this experience:

https://www.beckflash.nl/post/vriendschap-finland-en-een-speciale-fotoshoot?fbclid=IwAR2DXqwUkVHWeBtO_HNZwMHm2H4HU0lzvGowCIwzA8dZbCz5VsDeyJ32u4A

Its in Dutch, but I think Google Translate will just do fine to get at least some aspects :D

Thanks for this! Enjoyed it.

After some Google-Fu it comes out like this:

Spoiler

Friendship, Finland and a special photo shoot.
Last year in August, my girlfriend Floor Jansen gave me an app: whether I wanted to travel to Finland in July 2019 to do a photo shoot for her band, Nightwish. And if I immediately wanted to stay a few days in the "Nightwish Summercamp". I had to read the app 3 times before I realized what exactly was being asked. I? Photographing for Nightwish? And a short holiday in a beautiful nature reserve as a bonus? Certainly I wanted to do that! I got her back with great enthusiasm and some disbelief.

A month before my departure I discussed exactly what the intention was with Floor. Were the photos for a CD, for promotion, for other purposes? And probably even more important: was it a studio shoot or a shoot on location? The answer came quickly: the photos would be used for a tour poster and any other announcements. And it should become a location shoot and a studio shoot. And if I could bring my own studio supplies. Because renting a studio nearby, or even renting studio equipment was not possible. The photos were to be made during the rehearsal days of Nightwish and now allow this band to rehearse in a nature reserve in the middle of nowhere in Finland. So with some stress I started to think of what I needed and how the hell would I get it (all) in Finland. After some help and tips from Foto Gery in Heerlen, I boarded the plane to Finland at the end of July, packed and packed.

In Helsinki I met Troy Donockley. His "Heya Darling" immediately made for a warm welcome and together, chatting, we went to the gate of our next flight, towards the center of Finland. When we arrived there we were met by Marko Hietala. Again a warm welcome followed and after a bit of a whore our suitcases came from the band. Although, I thought so ....

After I had taken my suitcase with clothes off the belt, I waited full of smart for my suitcase with photography gear. But this one did not come. "It won't be true!" After some inquiries (my Finnish is not very good), my suitcase turned out to be without a trace. So I had to fill in a form and describe what the case looked like. The description "black fabric bag, coffin size" raised a few eyebrows, but was entered into the computer in no time.

When I told them that I needed the stuff the next day and was not in a hotel nearby, there was a slight panic in the hostess. But she assured me that everything would be fine and that I had to enjoy my holiday. I also had little choice ...

After a one-hour drive, we arrived at the Summercamp. And there Floor was waiting for me, with a cold beer! It was great to see her and be back at the Summercamp. It is such a beautiful place! Floors daughter Freja immediately called that I should come to the house and there I also met Floor's mother-in-law. She took care of Freja when Floor was working. After I had hugged the Nightwish men, I could immediately sit down for a home-cooked meal. Vegan indeed, but still delicious ;-)

During dinner I told them that the photography gear had not arrived and that I hoped that everything could continue. The response from Toumas Holopainen and Floor was: “We'll be fine, we'll call the airline tomorrow. The bag cannot be lost and if it comes later than tomorrow, we will move some things. We will only do the location shoot tomorrow and then watch. Grab a glass of wine and enjoy a warm sauna. ”It provided a little more peace. But still, do you imagine that my things were damaged, arrived late, or even lost altogether? I didn't sleep very relaxed that night.

Relaxed enjoyment of the Finnish sun, campfire, sauna, good wine and lovely people
The next day I was on the phone with the airline at 10 am. But since my Finnish is not really great, I was sent a bit from the box to the wall. The Finnish makeup artist Marja offered to make a phone call and look for my coffin. After some phone calls we were finally told that the suitcase had been found and was on its way to the airport. The airline offered to come and deliver it, but since the Summercamp is really hard to find, it seemed wise to go and get the coffin itself. Only the band was in the middle of a rehearsal, Marja would start with the make-up after the rehearsal and I would already prepare the location shoot. So Marja's husband, Jukka, was the bag. He had to go and collect the coffin. Poor man, 2 hours in a very hot car for some photo stuff.

Meanwhile, preparations continued. Floor and the men were in the make-up, I looked at the possible locations and adjusted my camera. And in the meantime I became more and more nervous. What if it goes wrong? What if the photos are not good enough? Then I disappoint not only a band, but also my best friend. And I have to celebrate 4 more days with them. Fortunately I was distracted by the arrival of Jukka and my photography gear. And everything was still intact. The studio shoot could therefore continue!

The first outdoor location. The lake can be seen in the background.
After everyone was made beautiful by Marja, we went outside and went to the first location, an old, derelict barn where wood is stored. Floor had been so kind to do preliminary research and she had come to this location. Perfect as a background! After everyone had taken their position and Marja and I had corrected some details, the shoot started. And the party for the mosquitoes! Because there were enough of them. I believe that everyone had at least 5 bumps after the first location.

The second location was 3 minutes from the first location, a beautiful rock formation on the other side of the camp. Here too everyone was instructed how to stand and here too the mosquitoes were fully present. Whatever you want, 3 meters from a lake. After a few changes in positions I had everything on it. The band seemed surprised that it was already done. Normally a photo shoot takes much longer with them. But I was sure that I had shot good records, so we were done with regard to the outside.

The band went into make-up one more time, because with 30 degrees the eyeliner drifted down the cheeks. And in the meantime I set up my studio in a derelict house. It smelled horribly of mold, but this was the only space suitable as a photo studio. The band came in and was again surprised. This time through the background, a black / gray mottled canvas. This was exactly what they had in mind. Fortunately, because it was also my only black canvas.

The interior of the house that served as a studio
We first decided to make some individual shots, even though this was not really necessary. But my comment: “We're here, all dressed up. So why not? ”The band seemed to be convincing and one by one they came to my camera. After the individual shots it was time for the group photo. And in a studio that is just a bit more difficult than on location. At least, I think so. Certainly if the singer is the tallest of the bunch and the guitarist is about 50 cm smaller. There is also an unwritten rule that the singer is often in the middle. So I kept that to myself, initially. The atmosphere was good again, silly things were removed, the Lonkero cans were handed out and everyone felt at ease. Make-up artist Marja was again a big help and before I knew it the studio session was on it. The last photo was enthusiastically celebrated with more Lonkero and many hugs from the band. I think they were happy that it was over ;-) And I honestly, because now I could enjoy my vacation in peace. That evening we followed the same ritual as every evening: wines, food, sauna, a refreshing dip in the lake and even more wines. And all accompanied by fantastic 80's hits and magic tricks from Troy.

One of the many beautiful sunsets in the Summercamp
The next day the band wanted to see the photos. Together we watched the raw photos via the TV. Doodeng, because in photoshop you can still make much “more beautiful”. And after repeating 5000 times that these were really the raw versions, I assumed the band would understand. With a knot in my stomach I started the computer and the photos came by 1 by 1. It was completely silent ..... For a moment the total panic in my head was: “O God, why does nobody say anything? Is it not right? Why do I think I can handle this too? ”And then drummer Kai Hahto said: that's really cool! And this was immediately agreed by Tuomas and Floor who sat opposite me. Pffffff what a relief!

The favorite photos were noted, the knot in my stomach was gone and I got a glass of wine from Floor. Believe me, wine has never tasted so good! And from that moment it was really a holiday!

One of the chosen photos. This has also been used to announce the Nightwish Concert in the Ziggo Dome. So proud!
The following days were incredibly laid back, the band rehearsed every morning and afternoon and I therefore had time to enjoy the sun and nature. And to spend a lot of time with Floor's daughter, my "niece", and her mother-in-law. And all that in my comfy jogging suit. Once again I realized how lucky I am. Few people get the chance to photograph a large band, then celebrate a 4-day holiday with them and enjoy their secluded Summercamp. And all that with my best friend in my favorite country, Finland!

Holiday mode ON!
After a few relaxing days I unfortunately had to pack my suitcase again. I had a ridiculously early flight, so at 7 a taxi was waiting for me. I had said goodbye to everyone the night before, so I tried to put my coffin and suitcase in the taxi as quietly as possible. The taxi ride lasted an hour and the taxi driver was a slightly too happy Finn so early in the morning. But I was able to learn some Finnish again. The flight to Helsinki was nice and fast and it was nice and quiet on the plane so I could catch a little owl. Once I arrived in Helsinki, I decided to take the bus to the center and walk through my favorite city. After all, I had to bridge 6 hours. After a delicious lunch at Senaatintori, a visit to the market and the shopping street, I took the bus back to the airport. Many salmiakdropjes and Salmiakki (vodka with salmiak taste) smashed in there, but then I really had to go home.

The flight to Düsseldorf was very restless. I had 2 children behind me and a mother who apparently had a real vacation and was "off". I decided not to get excited, I also had a little vacation. Arriving in Düsseldorf, my parents were already waiting for me. Fortunately, my suitcase with clothing soon came off the baggage claim. But where did my coffin go with photo stuff? Not again! My fellow passengers eagerly grabbed their bags from the tire and again I was left alone, without a coffin.

So I went back to the counter for lost luggage. Dejavu ...

Why so silent on Teero Instagram? Its been a while since he posted something about new Nw  album recording progress.....

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:41 PM, NeoGeorg said:

Troy just posted on Facebook that he was involved in recording readings by (quite accomplished) actress Geraldine James in London today... So what do you think? Nightwish related or nah?

Silly thought perhaps, but what else could he be working on? :D

Troy confirmed in the comments on Facebook that it was Nightwish related/related to the new album :)

2 hours ago, crypt said:

Troy confirmed in the comments on Facebook that it was Nightwish related/related to the new album :)

Maybe it will be a spoken part in long epic track like Dawkins on EFMB  . Would be cool if epic one be titled"  Our Common Ancestor" :P

It does seem likely that she is going to do some narration parts like Richard Dawkins on the last album.

I don't know much about the movies/series she's been in, but I listened to some interviews with her and she has a really great speaking voice, so I am excited about her involvement too.

My only request if there's narration/spoken piece is...please let this be a separate track and not part of whatever the "epic" song for IX is going to be.  It can be an intro or outro track.  Please? :P:) Would like to get back to pre-SoM days...

^ditto

I pretty much always skip the speaking parts, with an eye roll too. :P

Sounds pretty interesting. I wonder what she will be reciting. And why they chose her specifcally.

I don't think it will be a poem like on Song of Myself. I can imagine it being a song intro or outro like on The Greatest Show on Earth and Beauty of the Beast. She also has experience narrating for documentaries, so she should be really good at such parts. According to IMDB she did a TV Mini Series documentary called "Planet of the Apemen: Battle for Earth" dealing with Neanderthals, Homo Erectus, etc. That would fit in nicely if indeed the theme of the next album is centered around human evolution as speculated. 

Perhaps that was why they asked her, and I also assume that Troy knows her? 

I hope the spoken parts this time around are newly written by Tuomas/the band, rather than quoted from another science book.

1 hour ago, icebreaker said:

That would fit in nicely if indeed the theme of the next album is centered around human evolution as speculated. 

NOOOOOOOO

10 hours ago, Ahasverus said:

NOOOOOOOO

Don't you think human evolution is interesting then?  Or perhaps you don't believe it's actually a thing?...............

3 hours ago, Essexboyinwales said:

Don't you think human evolution is interesting then?  Or perhaps you don't believe it's actually a thing?...............

[Monty Python - intelligent life] "...'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth"? :P

Probably my misunderstanding but I thought there was the idea it would be somewhat about religion, maybe from a cynical "look at the mess this has made" angle?

I think something similar to Dead Boy's Poem and The Poet and the Pendulum works. I doubt they're going to have another 7 minute long spoken word segment, and I also doubt we'll get another 24 minute long track with multiple, and rather lengthy spoken word segments in it. I do think Tuomas is a better judge of what sounds good as far as spoken word in music goes than many other artists. The spoken word on the new Tarja album sounds off, and anything that's not a sound clip of an actual quote in an Epica song tends to sound a bit cheesy.

5 hours ago, Essexboyinwales said:

What kind of question is that, I'm not American