GhostHell

The Upcoming Nightwish Album

971 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, NeoGeorg said:

Exciting! And a final huzzah for Angel Studios!

HOOORRAY!!!

Yes!
I hope they share a few short clips from the studio in which you can actually hear bits of the music playing.  I remember them doing that in the lead up to Imaginaerum, so uh...yeah.  It'd be cool. :P 

1 hour ago, Werewolf said:

Yes!
I hope they share a few short clips from the studio in which you can actually hear bits of the music playing.  I remember them doing that in the lead up to Imaginaerum, so uh...yeah.  It'd be cool. :P 

Even more was shared for DaPaPla. 

Anyone remember these?

Abbey Road 2007

1 hour ago, Frankopan said:

Even more was shared for DaPaPla. 

Anyone remember these?

Abbey Road 2007

Ah, those videos were my childhood :P

The Poet sounds amazing!!

You can smell the quality from here. <3 Stobe.

So glad those Vile days are gone. 

We are getting a NW dvd and then a new video and a new album within 4-5 months. Can't wait!

Sure hope so! Who else would it be in such a hat?

Have to keep an eye on his Twitter now.

On 7/8/2019 at 12:00 PM, Frankopan said:

I dunno about you guys but for me the hype usually starts when London and Pip enter the picture. It's been that way since DPP. 

It's around that time we usually get pretty good and detailed written previews of what the songs are and what their general mood is. Also when interviews pick up.

So, I wrote this a few months back.

With Tero's latest post... THE HYPE IS ON, BOOOOIIIIIIIIIIS. :dwarf:

However, I think we won't have any updates. Not until the official announcement at least. This time they've been more secretive than ever. There were no samples and videos for EFMB either but we knew a few tidbits like the existence of TGSOE "the longest NW track" etc. Now we know almost nothing. Maybe the Black Mirror thing but still, it's not enough. But I'm saying this as a good thing. Now that we are that close, I hope they won't reveal much. Well, ok, I wouldn't mind the occasional hint, obviously :P

I haven't been a huge fan of NW's lately (shame on me!) and that's why I didn't notice how involved they've already been regarding recording the upcoming album. 

I'm slightly shocked (but also deliriously happy about it) that they are already recording a music video. I guess that we will get a new album very soon! I just hope that it will be more my cup of tea than "Endless Forms Most Beautiful". 

Not that I dislike Pip, the London orchestra or Angel studios, but I was kind of hoping for something new on this album. Hopefully we will not get another carbon-copy of Once soundwise. The older albums all had a distinctive sound.

I'm also wondering if Nightwish will be able to break into Top10 in the UK album charts and Top20 in the US. :)

1 hour ago, Majestico said:

Not that I dislike Pip, the London orchestra or Angel studios, but I was kind of hoping for something new on this album. Hopefully we will not get another carbon-copy of Once soundwise. The older albums all had a distinctive sound.

What are you talking about? The newer albums all have a very distinctive sound too. If anything, even more than the older ones. The 2 most similar albums, sound wise, are definitely Oceanborn and Wishmaster imo.

12 minutes ago, NighttimeBird said:

What are you talking about? The newer albums all have a very distinctive sound too. If anything, even more than the older ones. The 2 most similar albums, sound wise, are definitely Oceanborn and Wishmaster imo.

For me Oceanborn and Wishmaster album are different comparing to each other

10 hours ago, Speckofdust said:

For me Oceanborn and Wishmaster album are different comparing to each other

Yes, for me too, but less different than for example Imaginaerum and EFMB, or DPP and Once. Those are all very different.

I've been thinking once again that I really, really, really want them to use Troy's instruments (espcially the bagpipes and flutes) for more dark moments. For instance I've been listening to I Have to Let You Go (the score version of LROTD) and the bagpipes there are great. I don't really want another "happy-bagpipes-flutes-and-everything-folkish song). I'd really like to see a bit more piano maybe? (Yeah, the I-rum score got me :P )

I hope that the next album isn't thematically bashing religion. I get that religion has harmed scientific research, manipulated Innocents in the name of faith just to get revenue and political leverage, and also brainwashed most of western society with fantastic literature (besides when they try to prove those sacred texts are actual historical facts they try to use science but hey, they are also against it...?). I get all this, but we know this. I know religion sucks but a whole religion is bad-themed album would bore the hell out of me.

2 hours ago, planet_terror said:

I know religion sucks but a whole religion is bad-themed album would bore the hell out of me.

That's a valid perspective and I hope the album will bring some excitement. I'd also hope the album will be a bit nuanced and avoid some of the worst cliches. Not everyone was abused by priests or nuns for example. Most of us lost nothing in the crusades.

I grew up in a predominantly atheist environment - easy going about it but there was a subtext that church based education left some bitterness. So it was a surprise later in life to get first hand experience of some more liberal religious people and not just what you see on tv. Especially in the social realm I think some of what religion has traditionally supplied as community and communal support is basically lost in modern secular society.

But that doesn't persuade me from a belief perspective. I'd be agnostic if people need labels. To me, declaring "belief in a God is illogical" or worse, science "proves" this or that shows another kind of blind faith. And specifically (a pet peeve), the focus of science is not proof. This is a subject for philosophy and mathematics. Science deals with evidence. To state science proves something to me shows ignorance of its core approach. It can be confusing because science uses philosophy and mathematics - but it doesn't seek to prove things, rather to increase understanding of them.

Personally, I also think it's obvious there is much more to how reality works than classical mechanics and logic has explained. We just don't know!

Then there are issues of how we cope with things beyond our control or understanding. How we face loss or death for example. Some people have an instinct for it but I don't see that being dependent on religious belief specifically.

So some will be bored. To me these kinds of topics could distinguish Nightwish from simpler music out there. For me the appeal isn't just creating weird effects on a synth or adding a moody backing track! I like to be challenged and made to think and hope that is something they'll achieve. And a good dose of getting the blood pumping is also something I'd like. Plus they should make us cry - so there! Challenge delivered!

I would actually prefer a more down-to-earth social criticism approach in lyrics rather than another "we marvel at science, eukariote is soooo kewl" as on EFMB, some exceptions notwithtanding. It doesn´t need to be "if you believe in god you are stupid" (I do not like this line of thinking although I am an atheist, and it did bother me when Troy, Tuomas and Floor shared those kind of sentiments on couple of occassions, but again, their opinion, they´re entitled to it). But a more deep insight into social mechanisms behind religious organisations and propaganda, and political ideologies in general, discriminations and exclusions that they bring about and material interests that hide beneath them, that would make for a great and socially relevant topic, much more than the already beaten to death "technology is bad, let me tell you throgh my digitally processed music file containing sound of electrified instruments and computer samples". 

To me it feels like a natural next step after Endless Forms Most Beautiful to have science share the spotlight with sociology and social history. Possibly ecology. That also based on what little we know at the moment - Black Mirror, Geraldine James narration, Troy's character in the upcoming video...

They are broad subjects, and they wouldn't make an entire album centered on secularism.