GhostHell

The Upcoming Nightwish Album

971 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, avalonkillah said:

Well, I'd think it would be pretty strange to include biblical elements on this album after previously having released an album such as EFMB, which was one big celebration of life from a secular point of view. I'm not saying I'd mind, I'm just saying it'd feel kind of out of the blue.

I see what you're saying, but in fact it wouldn't be out of the blue at all, quite the contrary. Tuomas' lyrics have always contained plenty of biblical elements – Christs, crosses, the whole nine. And that includes EFMB, no need to look further than the title track (pale blue ark, mother Eve).

In Tuomas' mind, using Christian imagery in his lyrics clearly implies no contradiction with regard to his secularism. It's simply a poetic way to express fundamental ideas, and one that we will no doubt see on the next album as well. 

I've been doing some research into the Cuneiform. It seems that the word "man" is taken from Assyrian, yet, I am curious to know if it existed previously in Sumerian.

And while we seem to have one resource hinting at "men/women of the heavens" (as digír also translates to "heaven"), I am also curious to know if it is not two separate words, but, if all of the cuneiform means something together. I took hieroglyphics in college and often times hieroglyphs would be combined together to create a single word or meaning, and from my research into cuneiform, it seems to do the same thing. Digír with certain symbols also represents a god. Multiple uses of digír together are the cosmos.

I think the digging so far is on the right track. I will keep looking into it as well, because now I'm intrigued. It is likely that it is exploring the relationship between mankind and the cosmos, taking that aspect from EFMB. Less emphasis on human evolution, and more emphasis on humans and the heavens, which is a fascinating concept.

On 10/14/2019 at 9:25 AM, GhostHell said:

First single is coming in January 2020. I wish we'd get the album a bit earlier, February would be perfect. I am super excited for this album, can barely wait anymore.

I have no plans to listen to the single prior to the release of the album.  This is a continuation of the same policy I had for the previous 2 albums.  I want to listen to the album in its complete entirety for the first time without having previously listened to any of the other songs beforehand.  I feel that it helps improve my overall enjoyment of that first listening experience, having never heard what the first single sounds like, so there's a lot more mystery over what themes the album will explore.  Not to mention I would get burned out listening to the first single before the album is even out.

Back in 2015, there was a different artist (not Nightwish) where I listened to a short sample of a song (around 20 seconds) for an upcoming album and I ended up loving the sample so much that first listen of full album as a whole wasn't as magical of an experience that it could have been.  This helped reinforce my choice to avoid listening to the singles released prior to the full album.

5 hours ago, CenturyChild625 said:

I've been doing some research into the Cuneiform. It seems that the word "man" is taken from Assyrian, yet, I am curious to know if it existed previously in Sumerian.

And while we seem to have one resource hinting at "men/women of the heavens" (as digír also translates to "heaven"), I am also curious to know if it is not two separate words, but, if all of the cuneiform means something together. I took hieroglyphics in college and often times hieroglyphs would be combined together to create a single word or meaning, and from my research into cuneiform, it seems to do the same thing. Digír with certain symbols also represents a god. Multiple uses of digír together are the cosmos.

I think the digging so far is on the right track. I will keep looking into it as well, because now I'm intrigued. It is likely that it is exploring the relationship between mankind and the cosmos, taking that aspect from EFMB. Less emphasis on human evolution, and more emphasis on humans and the heavens, which is a fascinating concept.

Ancient Aliens! 

47 minutes ago, Baki said:

Ancient Aliens! 

You all can stop your detective work the new album is about aliens

Screenshot_20191016-095742_Google.jpg

72782887_10162469232090068_3379124558748

Wow, look at that background! That looks like Game of Thrones meets Ayreon! Can't wait!

Wow, I honestly didn't expect NW to get to Russia in 2020, but that's a really nice surprise :) will get tickets as soon as they're on sale, for sure!

53 minutes ago, Imagineer said:

72782887_10162469232090068_3379124558748

Wow, look at that background! That looks like Game of Thrones meets Ayreon! Can't wait!

Wow what a background! Could it be something about new album??

46 minutes ago, Hevein said:

Wow, I honestly didn't expect NW to get to Russia in 2020, but that's a really nice surprise :) will get tickets as soon as they're on sale, for sure!

bought my fanzone tickets, can barely contain excitement!

sorry for the offtop :)

It looks really like some Dystopian Kingdom!  Maybe sych album title will be? Who knows... It fits good  if we saw Troy as a king and little princess actress :)

6 hours ago, Hyperspace said:

I have no plans to listen to the single prior to the release of the album.   I want to listen to the album in its complete entirety for the first time without having previously listened to any of the other songs beforehand.  I feel that it helps improve my overall enjoyment of that first listening experience, having never heard what the first single sounds like, so there's a lot more mystery over what themes the album will explore.  Not to mention I would get burned out listening to the first single before the album is even out

I completely agree, especially when there is a concept involved....

I envy that type of self control, I'm so eager for new material that I couldn't wait for the whole thing in a million years :P 

1 hour ago, Speckofdust said:

Wow what a background! Could it be something about new album??

They're all giving attitude but just noticed Tuomas seems to have the hint of a smile...

12 minutes ago, Figment-of-me said:

They're all giving attitude but just noticed Tuomas seems to have the hint of a smile...

So what?

Am I understanding wrong, or are those dates for MARCH 2020? Nightwish never tours prior to album release. I thought the album was coming out in April.

2 hours ago, Speckofdust said:

So what?

Really?! Ask him! ;)

[edit]

They say if you need to explain a joke then it's not funny. Sigh. Can't resist this last attempt:

[Finnish interviewer] Mr. Holopainan, in the run up to the highly anticipated release of the new Nightwish album some people have noted that you don't seem to be able to stop smiling. Should we be concerned? Is there something wrong with your face?

[Tuomas, deadpan] My mother always told me I should smile for photographs.

Edited by Figment-of-me

15 minutes ago, Majestico said:

Am I understanding wrong, or are those dates for MARCH 2020? Nightwish never tours prior to album release. I thought the album was coming out in April.

Those are May dates. :)

I'm really hoping that art in the background of that tour poster is part of the new album's cover, because it's pretty awesome!  It gives me "Bloodborne" vibes.

Also, look at the poster in its full size and then at Tuomas and Troy's hair.  I'm assuming whoever edited this poster didn't expect people to look particularly closely, because... :P

It's gonna be a long winter until the release, damn... I can't wait anymore. This time it really looks like that everything is done perfectly and they are really excited about the album.

I hope they are planning another big show in Finland so I can come again from overseas and see them in the summer.