GhostHell

The Upcoming Nightwish Album

1,131 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Mainshow said:

I guess, we won't be hearing the song live then.

If anything I'd think it would make it more likely we will see that happen. She loved GLS and the rest is history. She's a pro. She'll figure out how to channel those emotions into a great live experience (or so I'll predict).

Will love the interviews to come where all this is put into perspective and explained.

After reading they asked Attenborough to participate, I assume we'll get even more preachy songs. And I was so hoping the EFMB would be a one-off. Oh boy.. Hopefully I'm badly mistaken.

2 hours ago, gabby said:

After reading they asked Attenborough to participate, I assume we'll get even more preachy songs. And I was so hoping the EFMB would be a one-off. Oh boy.. Hopefully I'm badly mistaken.

David Attenborough makes nature documentaries, I don’t see how that is the same as asking Richard Dawkins, where I can see why that might have been controversial. Also, we’ve known for a while that the new album will likely expand on the themes of EFMB.

As a side note I also really don’t see how EFMB is preachy, except for Weak Fantasy , which is explicitly anti—Religion. But then I grew up listening to German punk such as Die Aerzte so I guess my tolerance might be higher in this regard. 

5 hours ago, gabby said:

Having  come upon this criticism of EFMB a few too many times without quite managing to suss out what exactly it's supposed to be based on, I'm finally going to ask. How, exactly, does EFMB merit the barb of "preachy" in your view?

I assure you that this is not me trying to be deliberately obtuse, I just don't see it. Dawkins appears only in his capacity as a biologist, and Weak Fantasy is explicitly directed at extremist religion specifically, not the religious and numinous in general. I'd be genuinely interested in what rubs you (or others who share your view) the wrong way about the album.

To these sorts of discussions Richard Dawkins himself has something to add. :) At the end of the instrumental version of The Greatest Show on Earth he says: "It never seems to occur to people that a man might just want to write a piece of music."

18 hours ago, trinxy said:

I dont know if this is posted here but there was an interview with Tuomas in one of the Finnish magazines last week. One of my fellow discord users was so generous and translated it (Thanks, Gripe). Thought of sharing it here. 

karjala.jpg

"Nightwish held a band camp at Röskö in july-september and finished the recordings of their upcoming album.
- We were recording at Röskö now for the third time. It's such a pearl of a place, but underappreciated here in Kitee, Said Tuomas Holopainen in an interview last thursday.

"We'll get everything out of the singers on the new album"

Röskö works well as a whole, the space, the environment and the peace and quiet. We built a studio into the Rauhala -building, and there was plenty of space in the other buildings for the bandmembers and their families.
- The camp did wonders for our unity. Being a in band entails other things besides being on tour. It felt good to wake up to a common breakfast and then chill around the campfire in the evenings.

For evening fun the group climbed the surrounding rocks and made searches using Emppus metal detector.

The Röskö -sessions lasted almost three months and Tuomas was there the whole time.
- In the beginning it was like two weeks with the players, and then Floor joined us. Five weeks of hard training and then we went into the recordings.
- Music was always there. It felt good to toss around ideas and agree on a playing session later around the fire.

The melodies and lyrics on the new album are all by Tuomas.
- The songs didn't change that much during the camp. The band was pretty happy with the arrangements i had made.

Two weeks ago Tuomas spent six days in London overseeing The London Symphony Orchestra and their choirs recordings for the new album.
- The next two months will be spent in Helsinki mixing the album. I'm hoping we get the master tape ready by christmas.

After the previous album, EFMB (2015) came out, Tuomas said in an interview he gave to Koti-Karjala, that he felt pretty spent musically, having poured everything into the TGSOE song.

- The Auri -project that i made with Johanna a couple of years ago opened the floodgates somehow, and i felt a renewed interest in making Nightwish songs again.
The previous albums themes were observing of life's wonders and positive life views. They will continue around similar themes on the new album as well.

-We didn't turn over every rock, so some sort of continuum will be there. Every album we make surprises in some way even though familiar elements are always there.
There will be Irish influences, and movie music influences. And the singers will be utilized to the maximum.

-We noticed how well the sounds of Floor, Marko and Troy mix together. Their singing together has been built up to it's maximum.

Composing the melodies and lyrics go hand in hand for Tuomas.
-Before i start composing, i always know what subject the fire comes from and what subject the song will be about. The lyrics are formed as the song is composed.
- We are doing large themes on this album and i'm observing. The songs are less from my own diary even though they will have a personal angle.

Tuomas goes through the lyrics with Floor with care, but doesn't want to explain the lyrics sentence by sentence.
-After a certain song Floor said she doesn't really understand what it's about. When i told her a bit more, she had trouble singing it because she was so moved by it. That was probably the best feedback to a songwriter.

Sir David Attenborough is one of Tuomas' biggest idols, and his nature documentaries impressed Tuomas when he was young.

- For the last album we were able to get Richard Dawkins, and getting to the next level we thought we'd ask Attenborough to read some texts for the new album. He has the most famous voice in the world. I wrote him a letter and explained the concept to him. I was really surprised when he answered a week later with a hand written letter. I was floored by him answering me personally. And even though it didn't work out with him, we did find a mutual charity through his contacts.

The FAME music museum opened a couple of weeks ago in the Tripla Mall in Pasila. The honor gallery showcasing Finnish music history has 14 artists in it, including Nightwish.

- This has honestly been the best honor we have ever gotten. We are in some big company with Sibelius and others.

Tuomas will see the museum for the first time in an invite only showing next week.

After the album comes out, Nightwish will start on a tour of around 18 months and four continents.

- Touring leaves you with a lot of free time, so some new music probably will come out of that. There's been some wishes for more Auri -project music.

Johanna and Tuomas have formed a new hobby of creating crossword puzzles. They've regularly created puzzles for the Punainen Pelikaani -magazine and other papers as well.

- I'm fascinated by the combining of picture and music. I have a dream of once being able to do the music for a movie, documentary or perhaps a video game, Tuomas tells of his future ambitions."

Metal detecting....and crosswords....how very metal:horns::D;)

Ok, thanks, Mika, for letting us know... nothing? :woot:

On his personal Instagram he posted the same picture alongside "Maximum mixing, day fishing and Nightwishing."

37 minutes ago, NeoGeorg said:

"Maximum mixing, day fishing and Nightwishing."

That made me laugh! :D

Speaking about fishing :

Also, I've got to say this forum must be the most up-to-date info source about the upcoming album :D

9 minutes ago, ÉlanRae22416 said:

This reminds me of a bad joke. What do you use to catch Nightfish?

Please tell me the answer is not Anette.

5 hours ago, Encaitar said:

The...answer was indeed Anette. Damn you're good. Or that joke might just be lame.

I'm really looking forward to the release of the new album. After how epic efmb was, I'm curious as to what the new album will be like. How exciting! :D

18 hours ago, Encaitar said:

There's a time and a plaice for awful jokes, but perhaps this wasn't it?

I'm pretty sure April already came up somewhere before. At least that's when I was expecting the release to happen. It indeed seems like a long time, and it's going to be over five years since they released the previous studio album. Hopefully this is not a trend. I would really like to see the 10th album before 2025. Such a shame that most big metal bands, excluding Sabaton, are releasing albums so rarely these days. Probably because the income comes mostly from touring now.

All that matters, however, is that the music is still of high quality.

Remind me, how big was the usual gap between album announcement and release? 3 months? 

Iirc Imaginaerum was the exception due to the movie tie-in. 

5 minutes ago, Majestico said:

All that matters, however, is that the music is still of high quality.

This. 

But in those five years we have gotten two tours with two live releases and also the Decades remasters to tide us over! Plus there are the various solos, TV-appearances, side projects (or entities!) from the band members too. 

Overall I think it's probably a good cycle of things. We get quality over quantity (personal taste may apply), the band gets a breather and an opportunity for different creative outlets, which in turn can inspire new NW creativity. And we as fans get to take part in some different things too, and we even get some new music that wouldn't have seen the light in NW.    

Na deze bijzondere avond begint mijn avontuur met Nightwish, want in april komt ons nieuwe album en we gaan op wereldtour.

Yeah, I don't know Dutch either, but she does say the album will be out in April before they go on tour!

So the question is, assuming norms will be followed... 3, 10, 17 or 24?

April does seem kind of late tbh. The new single will be released on January. Why wait three more months? Middle of March would be perfect imo.